Forum Rules and Updates~Ask your questions here

If you go to post a link to another site and it comes up "*****" that means it is a site that is not allowed on WS - either because it has been ruled as suspect or offensive, or because that site has asked us not to allow people to link to them.

An easy way to test is to hit "preview post," and it will show you if the link will work.

If the link doesn't work, you cannot post it or refer to the item you were hoping to link. If you have any questions or concerns about this, you can contact a mod and inquire.

Quick question: Is there a thread where we can discuss (or at least find) the latest developments in the case? I'm finding it very diffult to find out what is going on this morning, because I don't know which thread in the forum I would go to in order to find that info.

Also, would it be possible to perhaps start a thread for verified locals, so that they might have a place to keep us up to date on what's going on in Hickory?

BBM

There is a "Media Thread" where the up-to-date media reports are posted.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116947"]Zahra Baker media links only - No Discussion - - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If you post a twitter, make sure to provide a link.

May we theorize on possible sexual abuse if we don't mention the suspected abusers by names or initials? Just in the context that sexual abuse may have happened, and the consequences of that could have led to Zahra's demise.

If you post a twitter, make sure to provide a link.

In addition to providing a link for tweets, as with ALL social networking sites, do not just copy and paste. Paraphrase what it says and provide a link.

Also, tweets are fine in the appropriate thread, but do not post tweets in the media thread. That thread is ONLY for media articles, and a tweet from a reporter doesn't fall in that category.

Any tweets posted that do not follow the above rules will be deleted.

May we theorize on possible sexual abuse if we don't mention the suspected abusers by names or initials? Just in the context that sexual abuse may have happened, and the consequences of that could have led to Zahra's demise.

So far, there is no reason I've seen to suspect sexual abuse. So, no on discussing this topic, unless it is reported in MSM.

In addition to providing a link for tweets, as with ALL social networking sites, do not just copy and paste. Paraphrase what it says and provide a link.

Also, tweets are fine in the appropriate thread, but do not post tweets in the media thread. That thread is ONLY for media articles, and a tweet from a reporter doesn't fall in that category.

Any tweets posted that do not follow the above rules will be deleted.

Would it be possible to have a "Media Tweets" thread or sticky?

P.S. Sorry for being guilty of doing just that.

I have had several of my posts deleted today for being Twitter related.....no warning, no PM with here's a copy of your post in case you want to revise it....just poof. Why is that?

This is a smaller market. The local stations do not have the budgets to constantly update their websites or break into programming for updates. Their reporters often tweet their updates LONG before they are available online. What is the big deal with this?

Question: Can we quote what we hear stated on HLN in our posts? We have in the past, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks!

Question: Can we quote what we hear stated on HLN in our posts? We have in the past, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks!

IIRC, you can, in the applicable threads (but not in the media thread), as long as you state specifically that it was from a TV bulletin, and try to back it up with links as soon as you can.

I will ask Daisy to double check this, though.

Reminder!

We have a Q&A thread for quick questions about the case itself, linked below. This thread is for questions about forum rules, etc.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118885"]Questions and Answers NO DISCUSSION - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Comments posted on FB that are not backed up by MSM are considered to be rumors and are not allowed.

Please be civil in the threads, folks. It takes up a lot of mod time to go behind the posters and clean up the name calling. I know emotions often run high, and the issues we see on here are often infuriating, but WS doesn't run like a lot of other forums - we don't say just any mud-slingy thing that comes to mind. This applies to everyone - case players, fellow posters, etc.

This rule is to protect everyone, as much as to protect the reputation of this forum as one of the most civil true crime boards around. We like rules to be consistent - and if posters can't call you, a fellow poster, nasty names, this means you can't call anyone else a petty name, either.

Including the suspects, please.

Do remember that the mods around here are all volunteers, and don't make more tedious tasks for us than you would appreciate if you were a mod. Editing out name calling is one of the most tedious tasks, because it is completely preventable - you guys can self-moderate and just not include them from the start.

Also, please continue to use the alert button if you see name calling, as this also helps us do our job a little easier.

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter!

Please do not post pictures of minors on WS, except those of the victims/missing children. It is against WS policy, and unsafe.

Please alert this whenever you see it.

You can alert troublesome visitor wall messages and private messages the same way as you can posts?

If someone sends you something you don't like, you can hit the "report" on a wall message or forward a PM to a mod if you find anyone contacting you in a rude or unwanted manner.

The TOS apply to messages, as well, though we do not read your messages unless you alert/forward them.

Do not sleuth EB's exes or her children on any thread.

Reminders:

• No bashing of non-suspects.
  • No sleuthing of non-suspects.
  • No name-calling.
  • Be very careful of how much weight you give to unverified sources from other sites, who, in actuality, could be anyone.
  • If you choose to interact with people claiming to be case players, please don't bring those interactions here - as both the source and you are then unverified "insiders," and this classes as rumour.

We gave these threads a lot of leaway this weekend to see where they were going, but the Facebook comments have started to take over every thread with no real way to tell if these posters are who they are claiming to be.

I know it is very difficult to manage a case when the MSM dries up, and it is nervewracking to wait for charges/trials/info/etc, but, sadly, this happens with nearly every case at some point. Every case team has to learn how to deal with the agony of the long haul eventually.

Keep Zahra in your thoughts, but try not to let anger and rumour get the best of you.

Derogatory Name Changes to Case Players/General Name Calling

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people that are the focus of our discussion here,it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness,name calling, name changes and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

The full rules and policies of this board can be found here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Please read them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back