OK Foss lake Discovery

The front view is DEFINITELY a '69 Camaro. It has to be them. Not sure about the other car. (It looks more like a late 40's to me).

Here is the thread for the 3 missing teens listed above.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201281"]OK OK - Leah Johnson (18), Thomas Rios (18), & Jimmy Williams (16), Sayre, 20 Nov 1970 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

http://www.news9.com/story/23456704...five-people-pulled-from-lake-in-custer-county

Two Cars Containing Skeletal Remains Pulled From Lake In Custer County

Posted: Sep 17, 2013 3:53 PM EDT
Updated: Sep 17, 2013 6:50 PM EDT
By Deanne Stein, News9.com - email

The Custer County Sheriff's Department is seeking information from the public after the skeletal remains of six people were discovered in Foss Lake.

The bodies could be that of (from left) Jimmy Allen Williams, Leah Gail Johnson and Thomas Michael Rios. The teens were reported missing November 20, 1970, last seen riding around Sayre, Oklahoma in Jimmy’s 1969 Chevrolet Camaro.

CUSTER COUNTY, Oklahoma - The Custer County Sheriff's Department is seeking information from the public after the skeletal remains of six people in two separate cars were discovered in Foss Lake Tuesday afternoon.
According to OHP, the cars were discovered during a training session with a new sonar device.

Crews pulled two vehicles from the lake in Custer County. The first was an early 1950's model car that had three bodies inside. Sheriff Bruce Peoples told the Elk City Daily News he believes the remains belong to a couple last seen in Canute in the early 1960s. The two were reportedly on their way to Foss Lake and never seen again. It's unknown who they believe is the third body.

The second car pulled from the lake also had three bodies inside, believed to be three teenagers reported missing from the Sayre area in the early 1970s.
6slideshow photoCars Containing Skeletal Remains Found At Foss LakeSee the Cars Containing Skeletal Remains Found At Foss Lake SlideshowSee All Slideshows

The bodies could be that of Jimmy Allen Williams, 16, Leah Gail Johnson, 18, and Thomas Michael Rios, 18. The teens were reported missing November 20, 1970, last seen riding around Sayre in Jimmy's 1969 Chevrolet Camaro.

If you have any information about these cases, call the Custer County Sheriff's Office at 580-323-1616.

There are 2 threads based on this:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201281and"]OK OK - Leah Johnson (18), Thomas Rios (18), & Jimmy Williams (16), Sayre, 20 Nov 1970 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222276"]OK 5 Bodies Found in Western Oklahoma Lake - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Any theories on what happened? Does the severe? damage to the rear mean either a rta or damage from spinning and plunging backwards into the water? Would maybe explain why they never got out..

Mark.

That is a really big lake (actually it's a reservoir) , I hope that LE are going to search more areas of it. If they were found near the marina it doesn't seem like there many roads into it. I wonder if the surrounding roads are a lot higher than the water level and cars could have maybe rolled down a hill? I'm terrible at telling topography from maps. The attached is from Google Earth.

I'm really glad that the families will have some answers after all this time. We don't often see that here, so that is GREAT NEWS!

ALWAYS MOO

Great map !.....looking towards the top left of this image I see a tiered patch of planting. So it looks like the road into the water is on a downward angle. The entrance to the water looks like it is a road thats going straight " down the hill"......just enters the water.......yikes!!

Wonder what LE theory is..foul play or accident?

(Bump...I pointed the mods to this thread from all the other ones (I think there are about four) since it seems to be the oldest.)

If so mods please delete. I'm on app and can not search as well.

This is what I suspected all along, that the teens were in a body of water somewhere. Sad they weren't found at the time it happened. The families have had to deal with the mystery all these years.

I went camping at that lake last summer. I was only there for one night because I was on my way to California. I was the only one in the campground because it was about 100 degrees and I guess I was the only one crazy enough to be camping there at that time. I'm glad I didn't know about this then, I had a hard enough time sleeping as it was. Being totally alone in the campground seemed like a great idea until it got dark... I was at the Sandy Beach area campground. Some photos here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...560111725099.183054.1360719899&type=3&theater

Yes the roads around the lake are generally uphill from the lake surface in elevation, I know that sounds dumb, isn't that always the case, but far enough that's it's easy to see how someone could roll in. There aren't a lot of trees in spots, not much to stop you from going in in certain areas. Not as easy to understand how no one in either car escaped, but I've never been in a sinking car thank God and maybe it's not as easy to get out as one would think.

Any theories on what happened? Does the severe? damage to the rear mean either a rta or damage from spinning and plunging backwards into the water? Would maybe explain why they never got out.

If the damage had been there when the car went in the water, that part would be just as silt-caked as the rest of the car, but it isn't. I think more likely the car came apart as it was being towed out of the water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back