Found Deceased - Michaela "Mickey" Schunick, 21, 7 August, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking about her family. Like, they went to bed that night and everything was ok and they had beautiful, happy children/family members. I cannot imagine being her sister and knowing I will have to live my entire life without her-they probably dreamed about weddings together, potentially raising kids together, all the lifetime of good memories you can accumulate. All gone because this guy decided he wanted to murder someone and Mickey happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not to mention how her brother and parents must feel as well. It is horrifying.

Corpses actually take longer to decompose when buried beneath ground.
Next comes being submerged in water, and lastly, just laying around taking in air.

After a month or so, body cavities burst open (Sorry for that gross image).

I'm guessing there are pretty sure it's her because...
They were lead by a credible source.
Her hair is probably still in tact, and she has very noticeable hair.
The belongings found with her, were probably things like back pack, her clothes she was wearing, etc.

I wish I could've met Mickey.

A little off topic, but one of Mickeys favorite bands was a band named Brand New.
There is a song that I've always found beautiful yet creepy and terrifying.

After all this, thinking of Mickey and this case, and BSL, it makes me get a sick feeling in my stomach, though it's a pretty song.

I wish Mickey was still around to enjoy all her favorite music.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Mjmbmjy_Q"]Brand New - Handcuffs [Lyrics] - YouTube[/ame]

Just a couple thoughts before I hit the bed. The following is all just my opinion and is based on the assumption that BSL confessed to LE and lead them to Mickey.

If, and that's a big if, BSL confessed, it was not because he saw the light. Further, no lawyer is going to simply let their client confess without having some sort of plea agreement in place with the DA as far as sentencing goes. So if BSL confessed and lead them to Mickey, I'm fairly certain it is part of a plea deal that likely takes the DP off the table but hopefully is life w/o parole. Any such plea deal did not happen at 7 a.m. for those wondering about the timing. I would suspect that if this is all part of a plea deal, it has been discussed between the DA and BSL's lawyers probably since shortly after the disclosures, and on a case like this, they would certainly talk through the weekend too to reach an agreement. I am completely speculating but I would guess that the agreement was hammered out previously and it was agreed BSL would lead them to Mickey bright and early this morning to that LE could get out to the scene in daylight but early enough that they had a head start on most people...i.e. reporters and just other eyes in general. Again, if this is the case, BSL's lawyers would include the Pate case with it or it would make no sense because he would still face the DP on that case. I would also suspect any confession would have to include any other crimes he has committed too, especially murders. The DA would want him to give the specifics to see that his story matches the evidence, particularly things not released to the public. That way, if something were to happen and the plea agreement blows up, they have a rock solid confession discussing things not generally known to the public. Also, by doing so, they strengthen whatever ridiculous appeals BSL files once sentenced. Yes, I would fully anticipate him filing appeals attacking the sentencing or guilty plea. Look how he tried to have the SO status removed.

On a personal level, I do hope that they found Mickey because of a confession. While some may argue a trial gives the Shunick family their day in court, I believe it is a painful ordeal. Obviously, if need be, it is done. I also believe that, while I know BSL will burn in hell for eternity, I would like for him to live in hell here on earth for as long as possible where I know for certain. Death and simply going to sleep just seems too easy. I certainly would be happy with the DP in this case but I also see a lot of reasons for life w/o parole too.

Sorry for the rambling. Just caught up and now going to try to sleep.

A little off topic, but one of Mickeys favorite bands was a band named Brand New.
There is a song that I've always found beautiful yet creepy and terrifying.

After all this, thinking of Mickey and this case, and BSL, it makes me get a sick feeling in my stomach, though it's a pretty song.

I wish Mickey was still around to enjoy all her favorite music.

<respectfully snipped>

That is indeed a dark but haunting song.

Since it is late, and we are doing music, I hope y'all won't mind my reposting what for me became a theme song for Mickey early in her threads -- along with my original explanation of how it came to be that.

Ride on, sweet Mickey.

......................................................................................................
originally posted by me:
Now, I know that Mickey is not Creole (I think probably not Cajun either), but very early in her threads, while a lot of us non-locals were trying to get a feel for things Louisiana and environs, sometimes discussion turned to author James Lee Burke, and his newest (I think?) book Creole Belle was mentioned (and recommended).

Just as soon as it was mentioned, the song My Creole Belle, which I've always loved, started playing incessantly in my head, so of course eventually I had to head to YouTube and listen a few times.

I also know Arlo Guthrie's version would not be the version of choice of this song for some, but I'm using that one because it is the one I knew and loved when I was younger -- and because it has such a happy lilt to it. (Song doesn't really kick in until about :32 at the link, so be a little patient...)

In my mind, the song became kind of a theme song for Mickey. I liked to envision her tooling along on her bike, free and safe and happy. I still like to think of her that way.

So -- this is for Mickey:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITina1MO6_Q"]Arlo Guthrie - My Creole Belle - YouTube[/ame]

I hope he confessed too, so that his name will stop being in the media soon. Once they deal with a plea, we shouldn't ever have to hear about him again.

In a recent "Missing In America" article about BSL it says "Police told the Independent that items retrieved from Lavergne&#8217;s home after his July 5 arrest were bloodied pictures he took of himself and an undisclosed number of women&#8217;s IDs." Terrible thought that there might be other victims of his out there who haven't been found yet!!!

So sad this happened to Mickey, but so glad Mickey can now come home to be laid to rest by her loved ones.

I have read Mickey’s thread/s on a continual basis since nearly the onset, but don’t post often because others usually answer any questions I may have or present the same or similar theories as mine.

Having said that, the thought has occurred to me for some time, now, that maybe Mickey had snubbed BSL somehow which enraged him and he decided to “get even”. Initially, I figured that may have happened on May 19th; perhaps he tried to flirt with her from his truck as she rode along on her bike, and she snubbed him or told him to get lost, etc. But, after reading some very recent posts, I also tend to wonder if he hadn’t seen her around before, was attracted to her, but was, or perceived he was, snubbed by her.

I realize that S Ks don’t need a reason to do the grisly things they do; however, in BSL’s case, I don’t think he fits into a “typical” SK mold. There’s no doubt he is a very angry man who took out his anger on others, but I’m not so sure he fantasized about killing people…controlling them, yes! But, then again, with the local reports of the bizarre things he did at grave sites as a teenager maybe he had a fascination with the macabre…and maybe I’m wrong! lol

I certainly have enjoyed reading everyone’s comments, especially those of the locals, and CajunNet (who, btw, have supplied me with some laughs from time to time, y'all are something else) due to this happening in their back yard!

There sure are some phenomenal sleuths on here!

All JMHO

I had to step back for a few days as the darkness was truly getting to me! When OceanMettheSky posted the photos of BSL's home I became immediately physically ill!I have not ever had such a reaction to such a case before and had needed to take a few days to regroup. When I logged back on I was so surprised to hear that Mickey has most likely been found!

I pray for peace for her dear family and all those that love her. May she now be able to be properly buried by loved ones who may now have a place to go to pay their respects to her as they desire. Although her body may now have a proper resting place her spirit soars with all the light that IS Mickey! While I never knew her in life, her life has forever touched my heart!

Rest in Peace Beautiful Angel Mickey! You will not be forgotten!
:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

You think BSL was abused as a child SMS charges may be filed against the perpetrator as a result if the ms case and investigation?

Immediate flashback of Casey Anthony's trial. I never even thought of that!

In google earth, the aerial of that area is dated 5-31-12. In the first attachment, just east of the cemtery in the woods there are 5 blue objects with what appears to be some sort of marker. The objects appear to be close to the size of a grave. The second attachment is a bing image that is labeled as 2012, but it would appear to be late winter or early spring due to the leaves on the trees in the immediate cemetery area **(not sure of the date for bing maps)***. The objects are not visible in that image. i wonder what those could be. apparently they were put there between the time the two images were taken MOO. I would imagine the easiest way to access this area would be to enter the thick woods from the cemetery MOO. I thought of the possibility of it being old graves that were maybe marked again by a family memberk, but if you go back to the 1997 image in google earth, this area was a rice field so i doubt that they would be old graves that had been relocated MOO. Im not trying to say that these are graves or anything like that, it just jumped out at me from the google earth image. sorry if someone already posted this.

Attachments

• Capture123456478945.jpg
    Capture123456478945.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 175
  • Capture1234564789456.jpg
    Capture1234564789456.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 144
Here is a more zoomed in image.

Attachments

• Capture5.jpg
    Capture5.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 173
Prayers for the shunick family! I'm so happy this journey led us to Mickey, I'm happy that the Shunicks will have her home! And Mickey soul can rest.

If they checked him out of jail Tuesday, why? I know some think to lead them to her body, but that's seems unnecessary to me. Couldn't he have just told them where he put her?

I am very surprised that the first places searched wasn't rural cemeteries.

justwannahelp, it makes sense that BS Lavergne would have accompanied LPD to the burial site. This prosecution strategy has been used before in the Gary Hilton, Gary Ridgeway, Henry Lucas. All three serial killers accompanied task force Investigators to the burial sites. All three SKs had multiple victims.

If BSL, located Mickey Schunick's remains as part of a plea agreement. Why did he wait thirty three days to do so?

For Mickey who will always be a shining light.

Attachments

• mickeyRIP.jpg
    mickeyRIP.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 101
I wasn't able to post last evening. I was so sick, and upset I didn't have it in me. I cannot imagine the feelings the Shunick family has had through out this time. The ups and downs must be tortuous. I pray the Shunick family, will be able to have comfort knowing Mickey is home, in the arms of Jesus. She will be forever remembered for the beautiful, caring young woman she is. This is the first case I have followed so intensly, and I hope, other familys will be able to find peace in finding their loved ones also. This has to stop, our children and grandchildren, deserve to live without fear. I am in awe of WS, and how the posters have been so diligent in helping to bring Mickey Home. WS is like a close knit family, of sincere and caring people, and I am proud to be allowed to be a part of this family. Thank you All!

Rest in Peace Mickey!:rose:

LPD News Release

"At approximately 8:30 pm, the body was removed from the scene by the Lafayette Parish Coroner's Office and transported back to Lafayette Parish. Although investigators strongly believe that the body is that of Mickey Shunick, it may take 3 days for the identification process to be completed."

It's good to know she's "back here", but if ID takes that long, they're using dental records. Poor baby.

I don't even know what to say about the news...I am sad but yet relieved the search is over.
Maybe the fact that Mickey was buried in a cemetery will give some sense of peace to her family...it is (IMO) a little better then some of the other options we have been kicking around here.
Slightly O/T.. my neighbor (who I would guess has never been on a bike in his life) randomly put a bike in his backyard this week. It is just leaning there up against an old rusty post. I keep looking at it...envisioning Mickey on it, smiling and riding...it is like her angel is here with me. What a strange coincidence that he put that bike there this week.
Mickey has touched my heart and soul...

In google earth, the aerial of that area is dated 5-31-12. In the first attachment, just east of the cemtery in the woods there are 5 blue objects with what appears to be some sort of marker. The objects appear to be close to the size of a grave. The second attachment is a bing image that is labeled as 2012, but it would appear to be late winter or early spring due to the leaves on the trees in the immediate cemetery area. The objects are not visible in that image. i wonder what those could be. apparently they were put there between the time the two images were taken MOO. I would imagine the easiest way to access this area would be to enter the thick woods from the cemetery MOO. I thought of the possibility of it being old graves that were maybe marked again by a family memberk, but if you go back to the 1997 image in google earth, this area was a rice field so i doubt that they would be old graves that had been relocated MOO. Im not trying to say that these are graves or anything like that, it just jumped out at me from the google earth image. sorry if someone already posted this.
That's interesting. Unless somebody here knows a good reason for those spots, if you haven't done so already, you should let LE know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenjen72