GUILTY France - Fiona Chafoulais, 5, Clermont-Ferrand, 12 May 2013 *Arrest*

Ah, this article. Paris Match. They've asked the questions. It's translated by google, but the info's still there.

Dogs tracked Fiona leaving the park. Investigators say she must have been taken in a car. Mom and boyfriend Birkane, of one year, are both unemployed. Mom had been with Fiona's dad eight years when she decided she had to leave him. Boyfriend tried to adopt/become a guardian for Fiona, bio dad refused. Mom left boyfriend sleeping, and called him first when Fiona disappeared. He was angry with her, and they both spent a long time searching before calling police. They seem to have separate apartments.

Article mentions how unusual it was for mom to be asked to participate in a reconstruction, as that's usually reserved for suspects. Also asks boyfriend how it feels to have his and mom's apartments searched extensively. He says;

"I do not care. I am not concerned...."

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...=10&client=safari&sa=N&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=644

BBM: How do they know if the dogs are tracking her into the park or out of the park?

Mom's story has HINKY written all over it. I hope I'm wrong and this sweet baby girl is safe somewhere.

BBM: How do they know if the dogs are tracking her into the park or out of the park?

Yes, that's puzzling. Maybe they tracked her coming in at an entrance they would have expected, from someone coming from Mom's apartment, but leaving at another entrance, near a highway, where her tracks disappeared? I can't see why they would be so sure she was taken in a car, otherwise.

Mom says she took those little children on a rather hard treck, right up the hill, imo. Especially with her being pregnant too. I'd love to hear from other moms who take their children to that park - if they usually saw Fiona's family there at that time, and what they think of the route mom says she and the children took.

Bio Dad has broken his silence. Here is a translation of the headline. Hes and shes are muddled up, but just from that little bit, it seems father has questions about mom's story too.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...=10&client=safari&sa=N&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=644

And here is the untranslated version with the radio interview links. I'm not going to be able to understand enough to give a summary. Could someone else listen and let us know?

http://www.francebleu.fr/faits-dive...moigne-sur-france-bleu-pays-d-auvergne-604702

Ah, this old article explains that bio dad is taking civil legal action in order to get access to Fiona's case. It looks like privacy laws (strict in France) mean police can't provide any info for a non-custodial parent.

Mom's own lawyer says any connection with the Algerian is 'fragile'.

I find it interesting that mom seems very concerned in her past interviews to point out how supportive boyfriend is, how good he is to the children, what he means to her etc, etc. Why does she feel the need to do that? And isn't that a little odd - that a parent with a missing child would devote so much interview time to a person other than her missing daughter?

I cannot help thinking she may be unknowingly revealing where her priorities lay.

http://translate.googleusercontent....23.php&usg=ALkJrhj8H3FHlxX3LIunGr8W04g7rxnZjg

I don't understand why google mistranslates French his and hers all the time. Annoying and confusing.

Can someone clear this up for me ?

''For his part, Fiona’s biological father was said to be “living in fear and fearing the worst,” his friend told Europe 1 radio.'''' This statement from an article on page 1 means that Dad is now fearing for the worst , as in maybe Fiiona will not be found safe? OR I read it to mean, after stating there is a troubled history ( while not going into details) that he may have feared bad news befor Fiona went missing as in things were so rocky and troubled in the home, he feared for her safety . What do you think? tks

Ah, this old article explains that bio dad is taking civil legal action in order to get access to Fiona's case. It looks like privacy laws (strict in France) mean police can't provide any info for a non-custodial parent.

I find it interesting that mom seems very concerned in her past interviews to point out how supportive boyfriend is, how good he is to the children, what he means to her etc, etc. Why does she feel the need to do that? And isn't that a little odd - that a parent with a missing child would devote so much interview time to a person other than her missing daughter?

I cannot help thinking she may be unknowingly revealing where her priorities lay.

http://translate.googleusercontent....23.php&usg=ALkJrhj8H3FHlxX3LIunGr8W04g7rxnZjg

And why did mom's bf get " MAD" when she called him to say the baby was missing?

As for translating him / her , I deal with many Hungarians and it's common with them as well to say HIS instead of HERS , etc.

I don't understand why google mistranslates French his and hers all the time. Annoying and confusing.

I think it's because some forms of the French personal pronouns are the same in masculine and feminine (se, l', lui, leur can refer to both males and females) and the machine translator can't make the distinction without understanding the larger context of the sentence and knowing what or whom each pronoun refers to which is beyond most translation machines. Son, sa, ses are also the same for both "his" and "her" and "its"- although they change according to gender it's according to the gender of the thing that is owned, not the owner.

http://www.linguanaut.com/french_pronouns.htm

She was specifically asked about him and their relationship in some interviews.

But I would like to know what made her lawyer make the following statement:

Cécile acquiesce, reconnaît ses humeurs versatiles, loue les effets des antidépresseurs. Ses mains sont posées sur son ventre convexe : elle est enceinte de six mois, un garçon. Sur son téléphone portable, en fond d’écran, une photo d’elle et de son petit ami : Birkane, 31 ans, surnommé Kader, connu des services de police pour des affaires de stupéfiants, entre autres. Tous deux sont au chômage. Son avocat nous prévient : « Cécile est quelqu’un qui a un grand besoin d’amour, elle est très amoureuse de Birkane. » Il a d’ailleurs voulu se constituer partie civile, comme elle et Nicolas Chafoulais, le père biologique de Fiona, mais « le juge d’instruction a refusé », affirme Me Portejoie.

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Faits-divers/Fiona-Une-bien-mysterieuse-disparition-516099

Google translated:

Cecilia agrees, acknowledges his versatile mood, praises the effects of antidepressants. His hands are on her belly convex: it is six months pregnant with a boy. On his cell phone, wallpaper, a photo of her and her boyfriend: Birkane, 31, called Kader known police for drug cases, among others. Both are unemployed. His lawyer warns: "Cecilia is someone who has a great need for love, she is in love with Birkane. "He also wanted to become a civil party, as she and Nicolas Chafoulais, the biological father of Fiona, but" the judge refused, "says Mr. Portejoie.

It just seems like a strange thing for a lawyer to say imo. Why would an average attorney even know or care about someone's need to feel loved? They are not relationship counselors, they deal with legal matters. And supposing that the client's great need to be loved comes up in the legal discussions for some reason or another, is it really in his client's best interests for the attorney to say something like that? Because suspicious minds might view things differently and wonder if her great need to be loved could make a woman take her boyfriend's side if it conflicts with that of her child's.

Great post Donjeta. The lawyer's odd remarks should be filed alongside the actions of the judge who put his arm around mom's waist during the reconstruction, imo.

Can someone clear this up for me ?

''For his part, Fiona’s biological father was said to be “living in fear and fearing the worst,” his friend told Europe 1 radio.'''' This statement from an article on page 1 means that Dad is now fearing for the worst , as in maybe Fiiona will not be found safe? OR I read it to mean, after stating there is a troubled history ( while not going into details) that he may have feared bad news befor Fiona went missing as in things were so rocky and troubled in the home, he feared for her safety . What do you think? tks

I am not sure about what the friend meant. I just managed to pin down a native french speaker long enough to get them to listen to bio-dad's radio interview though.

I wasn't impressed. He chiefly just seemed to use it to refute the impression he thinks mom has put out there that he was a disinterested father.

He said it is not true he cut links; and that he had tried to maintain contact with the children during the nine months he had not seen them, but there was a lot of conflict with mom, Cecile. He gave an example of where he was supposed to have access during a recent public holiday, but Cecile suddenly cancelled as she had an appointment.

Father also said he broke his leg, and that he doesn't like dirty laundry being washed in public. That's why he hasn't spoken to the media. He just wants to focus on finding his daughter.

Dad's attorney says that it might look like bio-dad had no contact, but that's not the case. The father is only requesting access to the file so he can help find his daughter.

That was it. No appeals for people to come forward, no appeals for searches or publicity. Nothing about what a beautiful little girl Fiona was and how much he wants her home.

What the heck???

I guess he might have said a lot of things that got edited out. It's just a 46 second clip.

Is either parent begging for her safe return ?

Cecile has taken part in a lot of publicity, but much of the time it seems she has used it speaking about her life and her boyfriend and criticizing the bio-dad. This may be because of the questions journalists are asking her. I don't know.

This old article from May 24th is interesting. It makes a point of mentioning that mom's boyfriend is being represented by a famous criminal lawyer. He is unemployed and has previous drug convictions. I can't see why he would have needed or be able to afford a famous criminal lawyer for those.*

It makes me think boyfriend has hired this lawyer just because Fiona is missing, and maybe it's pro-bono. Whatever it is, it doesn't look good to me that he feels the need to have hired a criminal lawyer at all.

I believe things look very ominous for little Fiona now. I have little hope she will be found alive.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...=20&client=safari&sa=N&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=644

Cecile has taken part in a lot of publicity, but much of the time it seems she has used it speaking about her life and her boyfriend and criticizing the bio-dad. This may be because of the questions journalists are asking her. I don't know.

This old article from May 24th is interesting. It makes a point of mentioning that mom's boyfriend is being represented by a famous criminal lawyer. He is unemployed and has previous drug convictions. I can't see why he would have needed or be able to afford a famous criminal lawyer for those.*

It makes me think boyfriend has hired this lawyer just because Fiona is missing, and maybe it's pro-bono. Whatever it is, it doesn't look good to me that he feels the need to have hired a criminal lawyer at all.

I believe things look very ominous for little Fiona now. I have little hope she will be found alive.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...=20&client=safari&sa=N&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=644

Ominous seems accurate but I'm holding out for a miracle.
She's so beautiful and bright eyed. Surely no one would .......

I tried to buy access to the full transcript of the interview with bio-dad, but you need a carte bleu. It's a uniquely french credit card. :(

Any residents of France here, who can help us out?

Where is this sweet girl?

21125_610711295606472_1702259537_n.jpg

http://translate.googleusercontent....&cid=1&usg=ALkJrhj8LhU_GJ09a5Vmk4A8BlmtFgFQTg

Ou est Fiona? Quelqu'un le sait! Aidez nous la trouver.

Just read through this thread...

What a darling child!

I hope she is found safe... Soon... :please:

My hinky meter is blinking (or whatever hinky meters do) off the charts for several reasons... None of which it is appropriate for me to discuss at this stage of the investigation/case...

JMO

The only thing I'm assured about is that there are really extensive searches going on for little Fiona. I just don't know if police have any firm idea of where she might be though. Probably not, I am tending to think now.

Radio RVA fb's page has a few comments underneath her picture, but nothing really after mid-May. Radio RVA do say in reply to a woman's question about police not putting out an abduction alert for 24hrs, that the prosecutor told them Fiona's case did not have all 'the elements' required to trigger an alert.

That is inexplicable to me.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/radiorva

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike