GUILTY GA - Daniel Martin & Jennifer Gaster for child endangerment, Brownsville, 2008

I breastfed my daughter and let her fall asleep in bed afterwards. I was 19 (she's 26 now) and back then we did not have a lot of educational info out about this. I also put her to sleep on her stomach as that's what my midwife recommended. i had natural childbirth, no drugs went home 12 hours later. I did everthing they told me and more.

Oh, absolutely! I'm just speaking as someone who has had two babies in 18 months and has been inundated with this stuff. My mom and her mom and her mom's mom had been told to put babies on their bellies because of the asphyxiation risk. It's only relatively recently that the Back to Sleep program has really gained footing.

I honestly wasn't trying to judge anyone. It's just that SIDS, particularly in a case like this, can be a misnomer. I think this baby's death could have been prevented. All suffocation deaths are not SIDS.

I think this cause of death needs to be reviewed. When a case like this is labeled as SIDS, it changes the definition.

SIDS is when a baby dies for no known reason. This baby seems to have died because she was face down in a tight spot, possibly had alcohol and cocaine in her system, and was being neglected/unsupervised. It is not the same thing!

I wonder if anyone will question the coroner's decision.

You said this so well.

:blowkiss:

When my 6 were infants (1 set of twins), I always put them to sleep on their stomachs. However, having had an older sibling die of SIDS, I read all I could about the topic. What I gleaned from all my reading was to elevate the head of the crib mattress so the infant's head would be higher than the rest of the body. Guess it worked 'cause mine all lived.

Breast feeding is fine, but the 4 I didn't breast feed survived the same as the 2 that I did. I also smoked through all of them.

If, indeed, the baby died of SIDS, there should be no charges except neglect.

Oh, absolutely! I'm just speaking as someone who has had two babies in 18 months and has been inundated with this stuff. My mom and her mom and her mom's mom had been told to put babies on their bellies because of the asphyxiation risk. It's only relatively recently that the Back to Sleep program has really gained footing.

I honestly wasn't trying to judge anyone. It's just that SIDS, particularly in a case like this, can be a misnomer. I think this baby's death could have been prevented. All suffocation deaths are not SIDS.

Bolding mine.

True, suffocation deaths are NOT SIDS, but SIDS deaths are NOT suffocation.

Right, but I so often see deaths attributed to SIDS that are suffocations, and I think there is a lack of knowledge out there, whether it's in the media or anywhere else.

Matt Bryant's son died of SIDS. This baby suffocated, I believe, and it's getting attention because it's a "SIDS death." I don't think it is.

Right, but I so often see deaths attributed to SIDS that are suffocations, and I think there is a lack of knowledge out there, whether it's in the media or anywhere else.

Matt Bryant's son died of SIDS. This baby suffocated, I believe, and it's getting attention because it's a "SIDS death." I don't think it is.

I tried to do some looking, but couldn't find anything that stated what they determined to be the cause of death for Matt Bryant's son. I've seen a lot of speculation that it was SIDS, but nothing confimring it. Also, I'm wondering if you could post a link to information on why you think it was a suffocation death please. I honestly had not even heard of Matt Bryant before your post, but now I'm interested!

Okay, now on to the subject. From what I understand, SIDS is a diagnosis of exclusion. That means they could find no other cause of death such as suffocation, drugs, or trauma. I do believe the parents in this case should be charged with endangerment, but if the COD is SIDS, they should not be charged in the death.

Back in "the day" a lot of infant deaths were called SIDS that really were suffocation, sometimes due to murder. However, we still have SIDS with us complete with wive's tales and the LATEST scientific theories. In this case, it does sound like suffocation and from what I've read, can't they tell by the eyes - if there are small hemmorages from lack of oxygen? I may be confusing this with symptoms of strangulation, but then the hyloid is usually broken. However, they have discovered suffocation with a pillow by the tiny eye hemmorages; I believe it may be the same in all suffocation?

I said in my post that it wouldn't be prosecutable, nor should it, as there are babies out there that sometimes have to sleep on their stomachs because of medical issues. It's still not a good idea. Many theorists think that SIDS occurs when the baby falls into too deep a sleep, so when people put them on their bellies to sleep better, they're actually helping that deep sleep along. A good compromise is to use a positioner to put them on their side.

It's good you breastfed, because that can counteract some of the effects of cigarette smoke on the baby. It is a risk factor for SIDS, but breastfeeding is a good mitigator for SIDS.

I'm not judging, but you asked. People take actions that increase the incidence of SIDS, so in that way, yes, they contribute. I, too, let my babies breastfeed in bed with me early on when it was hard to get sleep otherwise. If I had trapped them, or rolled over on them, and they died, I would have felt a lifetime of guilt. That's why I ended up buying a Snuggle Nest.

These people were drinking and snorting cocaine, and that's endangerment. If they found drugs in the babies system, I would be thrilled if it was manslaughter. I think the article title is just badly phrased. Everyone thinks that SIDS is this silent killer that comes unannounced, and a lot of times it does, but there are so many things you can do to lessen the risk. These people increased the risk and the article makes it sound like they suffocated the baby. By accident, of course, but had that baby been on its back in its crib, it'd likely still be alive. That doesn't scream SIDS to me.

I don't feel judged and appreciate your input. It's not just a bad headline - every article I've found says they are being charged with negligence for failing to notice their baby was dying of SIDS. That's a terrible, terrible charge and should be thrown out.

Challenge the coroner's report and bring real child negligence charges (at least against the Mom) for involuntary manslaughter or whatever you like. Don't charge parents for failing to notice SIDS - that's nonsense and frightening precedent.

That's a good point, JBean - I still think the SIDS (termed as dying of natural causes on the autopsy report) is very misleading.
I guess to me it almost seems like the SIDS was incidental. If the baby lived, but the police had evidence that the parents were messed up while caring for an infant, I think they would face charges anyway. Throw the breastfeeding in there and we have a got a big problem with endangerment imo.

I see what you mean, but I think the SIDS part is just an emotion grabber and we are overlooking the fact that these were irresponsible parents (at least that night) and were discovered because authorities were called in about the SIDS.

I don't feel judged and appreciate your input. It's not just a bad headline - every article I've found says they are being charged with negligence for failing to notice their baby was dying of SIDS. That's a terrible, terrible charge and should be thrown out.

Challenge the coroner's report and bring real child negligence charges (at least against the Mom) for involuntary manslaughter or whatever you like. Don't charge parents for failing to notice SIDS - that's nonsense and frightening precedent.
I see what you are driving at SCM, but I do wonder if that is bad reporting. The charges are child endangerment. If the SIDS plays into it in a court of law through supposed"fact" and not emotion, then yes I agree with you. but if the charges are supported by getting totally messed up while caring for their infant, then I support the charges 100%.

Also, I'm wondering if you could post a link to information on why you think it was a suffocation death please. I honestly had not even heard of Matt Bryant before your post, but now I'm interested!

Oh, no, I meant that Matt Bryant's son's death seemed to be a textbook case of SIDS. There was no evidence that he suffocated. I read an article early on that said they found him in his crib, on his back, unresponsive. He was 13 weeks old, which is right in the middle of the 2-4 month peak danger zone for SIDS. No previous medical problems or signs of abuse.

I still tear up when I think of his first game back. He kicked three-for-three and talked to the sky after each one. He's a really nice guy and after the 62 yard field goal he kicked against the Eagles, he became my favorite Kicker of life. :)

Oh, no, I meant that Matt Bryant's son's death seemed to be a textbook case of SIDS. There was no evidence that he suffocated. I read an article early on that said they found him in his crib, on his back, unresponsive. He was 13 weeks old, which is right in the middle of the 2-4 month peak danger zone for SIDS. No previous medical problems or signs of abuse.

I still tear up when I think of his first game back. He kicked three-for-three and talked to the sky after each one. He's a really nice guy and after the 62 yard field goal he kicked against the Eagles, he became my favorite Kicker of life. :)

Thanks for the clarification! I appreciate it. I feel bad for anyone who loses a child to SIDS. I cannot imagine the heartbreak.

I see what you are driving at SCM, but I do wonder if that is bad reporting. The charges are child endangerment. If the SIDS plays into it in a court of law through supposed"fact" and not emotion, then yes I agree with you. but if the charges are supported by getting totally messed up while caring for their infant, then I support the charges 100%.

I see your point too. And maybe it is confusing reporting. I'm with you that if the the facts show that their being loaded somehow contributed to the death of the child, then sure - it's a good valid call. But the SIDS thing throws me way way off - maybe we just don't have enough info. The articles seem oddly worded and it's true that reporters don't always know enough about legal nuances to get things clear. For that matter, neither do I! :waitasec:

I agree with you MomofBoys, it is all so confusing. And even if they want to say putting the baby to sleep on its stomach is a risk factor I think that is arguable also. The "proper" way to put a baby to sleep has changed many times over the years and a good defense attorney could have it thrown out IF that is the prosecutors main argument.

It has changed, yes. But it has changed due to research into these deaths and circumstances surrounding them. As for the "sleep aids" they have NOT been proven to save lives and are not recommended by professionals. They are just another way to get terrified parents to fork over more money.
And this is my experience as a Maternity nurse. We absolutely teach the parents to use fans, have babies sleep on their backs, no comforters, pillows, or stuffed animals in the cribs or bassinets.
I agree with the posters who cannot see how these parents are being charged with not recognizing SIDS. Neglect, possibly. But without drugs or alcohol in the baby's blood, even that is problematic.

December 2010:

Jennifer Nicole Gaster, 30, and Daniel Keith Martin II, 31, both of 743 Bull Run Road, Luzerne, pleaded no contest in October to charges of child endangerment. In addition, Gaster entered a no- contest plea to a charge of reckless endangerment of another person.

Under a plea bargain, Judge John F. Wagner Jr. sentenced both to 23 months of intermediate punishment. He ordered both to serve 30 days of the probationary period on house arrest with electronic monitoring because Gaster has two previous convictions for driving under the influence...

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-27537026.html

September 2008:

Lilly Martin, a 2-month-old baby girl, died in June at her home in Brownsville in Fayette County.

The death was ruled accidental, but her parents may face charges anyway because of what prosecutors say the pair was doing at the time of the child's death. Police said the couple were drinking and doing drugs the night before the infant's death.

A coroner said there was "obviously neglect" by the parents, Jennifer Gaster and Daniel Martin, and recommended police pursue criminal charges against the couple.

http://m.wpxi.com/news/news/fayette-county-couple-may-face-charges-in-death-of/nGZ3H/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back