GA GA - Eatonton, BlkMale 1011UMGA, 15-20, in train car, sutures in lip Jun'78

In the 1970s it was very common to take off and explore the country for long periods of time after school. Especially in the late 70s when the US was in a major recession and there were few jobs. People would hitchhike and hop trains if they didn't have vehicles and were willing to work temp. I did it myself for a year after high school. That could explain why he was never reported missing. His family may have thought he made a life elsewhere because it was common at the time.

In the 1970s it was very common to take off and explore the country for long periods of time after school. Especially in the late 70s when the US was in a major recession and there were few jobs. People would hitchhike and hop trains if they didn't have vehicles and were willing to work temp. I did it myself for a year after high school. That could explain why he was never reported missing. His family may have thought he made a life elsewhere because it was common at the time.
i feel like a lot of young UID cases from the 60s-80s suffered that same fate and were never reported i.e. grateful dead john doe :( nowadays its very uncommon to leave home and totally end all communication w/ your family

Last edited:
Partly it's because in the 70s it was quite difficult to maintain ties even if you wanted to. There weren't cell phones and wifi everywhere. If you wanted to call home, you had to find a public phone, make sure you had change to pay for a call (long distance $3 for 3 minutes, when minimum wage was $1.10), and hope you caught them home. If you didn't, there likely wasn't an answering machine to leave a message on.

You could write a letter or postcard, but unless you were staying in one place for a while, you wouldn't get a reply. Maybe you'd only send something on special occasions. That's why in many older missing person reports, you'll see things like, "When we didn't get a Christmas card, we worried she might be in trouble."

Oh my gosh! THERE IS ANOTHER DOE WHO WAS FOUND THE SAME DAY THE NEXT YEAR UNDER EXTREMELY SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES!

Namus case was updated in January this year, but I'm not clear on what was added/amended
www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/4710/details?nav

bump
There was a lot of discussion but I don't think I ever understood... was Willie Clark ever submitted to NamUs?? I know WC does have some metrics available because I got him on the exclusion list for this UID.

Willie's Namus has 15 comparison shown, none of the ruleouts shown are from Georgia. Of course if they had the same identifiers it may be an auto-ruleout that isn't shown. www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/22424/details?nav

I've been watching this thread for a while but never commented. Just to clarify for myself, a coal car is an open top car where coal is dumped in at a coal mine for use at another destination. If a coal car has access to the interior, it would probably be from an exterior metal ladder at one side of the car. It's not a traditional freight (boxcar) that has a closed top and sliding doors to access the interior. According to Wiki, traditional boxcars were still being used as coal cars in the early part of the 20th century but the practice was in disuse by the time this UID died because of the difficulty loading and unloading coal.

So I'm going to presume he was found in a coal car, an open top one. That means if the UID voluntarily accessed the container he did so after the coal had been deposited into the car. It would bury someone in seconds if they'd climbed into an empty car.

I suppose it's also likely that the UID jumped into the car from a bridge after it was loaded to land on top of the coal. That would suggest the UID was familiar with the timetable of loading up coal cars and when they departed because someone unaware jumping into an empty one meant being crushed and suffocated by tons of coal. Conversely, if he was murdered, it's possible that someone threw him into the coal car also from a bridge (if he was found on the top of the coal); it would be very difficult to hoist a corpse up to the top of a coal car on one of those little ladders. If the UID was murdered then it's possible someone at a coal mine dumped his body in it knowing it was going to be filled with coal. That option raises a few questions. If the UID had no coal dust in his lungs it would mean he was dead before he was thrown in which could focus on people who worked at the coal mine as being prime suspects.

I don't think we've ever been told COD. Has it been classified a homicide?

Since the UID's location was discovered at a power plant I presume the coal was delivered to that location. It would have been through the coal dumping process that he was discovered, IMO. I've just spent some time looking at YT videos of coal being dumped into coal cars and also being released at the destination point. They are pretty impressive set-ups and kind of transfixing. Here's a couple of links; one for filling a coal car and another for releasing the coal.

Granted these videos reflect very modern and high tech processes but they are probably just a very sophisticated take on a 50 year old practice.

As to his clothing and physical appearance. What type of undies did most guys wear in the 70s? Judging by this compilation of styles they were all over the map:eek:

Ridiculous 1970s Male Underwear Ads

Style was way over the top in those days: long fringed jackets, wild colours, tight fitting jeans, lycra, etc. Think the funk band Earth Wind and Fire, ABBA, Sly and the Family Stone. For me, his clothes don't really figure in whether this person was gender fluid but his nails do give me pause. When they say long do they mean long and manicured like a woman's nails or nails that grew just over the top of the finger? I've seen homeless men with long dirty fingernails as well as people with obvious mental health issues.

What could all those old scars be related to? Unfortunately, I think they may relate to childhood physical abuse. Also, he had an extra rib, a cervical rib. That's a pretty rare condition. It can cause definite physical issues (thoracic outlet syndrome) but he may have been of an age and a weight where the problems hadn't presented yet. Sorry, for such a long missive.

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread for a while but never commented. Just to clarify for myself, a coal car is an open top car where coal is dumped in at a coal mine for use at another destination. If a coal car has access to the interior, it would probably be from an exterior metal ladder at one side of the car. It's not a traditional freight (boxcar) that has a closed top and sliding doors to access the interior. According to Wiki, traditional boxcars were still being used as coal cars in the early part of the 20th century but the practice was in disuse by the time this UID died because of the difficulty loading and unloading coal.

So I'm going to presume he was found in a coal car, an open top one. That means if the UID voluntarily accessed the container he did so after the coal had been deposited into the car. It would bury someone in seconds if they'd climbed into an empty car.

I suppose it's also likely that the UID jumped into the car from a bridge after it was loaded to land on top of the coal. That would suggest the UID was familiar with the timetable of loading up coal cars and when they departed because someone unaware jumping into an empty one meant being crushed and suffocated by tons of coal. Conversely, if he was murdered, it's possible that someone threw him into the coal car also from a bridge (if he was found on the top of the coal); it would be very difficult to hoist a corpse up to the top of a coal car on one of those little ladders. If the UID was murdered then it's possible someone at a coal mine dumped his body in it knowing it was going to be filled with coal. That option raises a few questions. If the UID had no coal dust in his lungs it would mean he was dead before he was thrown in which could focus on people who worked at the coal mine as being prime suspects.

Since the UID's location was discovered at a power plant I presume the coal was delivered to that location. It would have been through the coal dumping process that he was discovered, IMO. I've just spent some time looking at YT videos of coal being dumped into coal cars and also being released at the destination point. They are pretty impressive set-ups and kind of transfixing. Here's a couple of links; one for filling a coal car and another for releasing the coal.

Granted these videos reflect very modern and high tech processes but they are probably just a very sophisticated take on a 50 year old practice.

As to his clothing and physical appearance. What type of undies did most guys wear in the 70s? Judging by this compilation of styles they were all over the map:eek:

Style was way over the top in those days: long fringed jackets, wild colours, tight fitting jeans, lycra, etc. Think the funk band Earth Wind and Fire, ABBA, Sly and the Family Stone. For me, his clothes don't really figure in whether this person was gender fluid but his nails do give me pause. When they say long do they mean long and manicured like a woman's nails or nails that grew just over the top of the finger? I've seen homeless men with long dirty fingernails as well as people with obvious mental health issues.

What could all those old scars be related to? Unfortunately, I think they may relate to childhood physical abuse. Also, he had an extra rib, a cervical rib. That's a pretty rare condition. It can cause definite physical issues (thoracic outlet syndrome) but he may have been of an age and a weight where the problems hadn't presented yet. Sorry, for such a long missive.

I'd also like to add that back in the 1970s I doubt that production lines filling coal cars or releasing coal had cameras watching the process. That could make it highly likely that someone operating the dumping of the coal would not be able to see into the empty car and could have dumped coal on an unsuspecting individual. It could also mean that a living person on top of the coal could have been dumped out with thousands of pounds of coal, effectively being crushed and suffocated at the same time.

According to the Trans Doe Task Force, they are a homicide victim.
"In collaboration with Georgia Bureau of Investigation, we have begun to work on the case of Eatonton Doe, a homicide victim recovered from a train car several days after death in 1978. Evidence suggests that the decedent may have been transgender or gender variant in life"

The tipping the coal car to unload is not the common way coal cars are unloaded. It requires specialized equipment many facilities don't have.
The coal cars have doors on the bottom to dump the load when there are facilities that cannot flip the car to empty the coal. I suspect bottom dumping of the load is still more common today and in 1978.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back