GUILTY GA - Laila Daniel, 2, beaten to death, McDonough, 17 Nov 2015 *foster parents arrested*

I'm hearing legal opinion from the talking heads at L&C that one avenue of appeal might be their joint representation.

I'm not so sure. I've seen that this issue was brought before the court in 2017 and they signed waivers:-

Mull disagreed that a conflict of interest, even the potential of one, was present due to her clients’ refusal to take a plea offer and their wish to present a “united front” against allegations she said are false.

She presented waivers of conflict penned by Jennifer and Joseph Rosenbaum re-asserting their intent to jointly retain Mull as counsel.

[...]

“They cannot withstand a conviction. She’s a law student, he’s a correctional officer. They cannot take a plea, they do not wish to take a plea,” she added.

Judge to consider disqualifying Rosenbaums’ attorney from joint representation in murder case

“Upon consideration of the arguments of the parties and the record as a whole, the State’s Motion for Disqualification of Defense Counsel is denied at this time,” Amero ordered, court records show.

Prosecutors argued for Mull’s removal on Friday, making the case that because of the potential for conflict of interest, any conviction in the case could possibly be reversed on appeal.

Rosenbaums to keep joint defense attorney in child death case

I'm hearing legal opinion from the talking heads at L&C that one avenue of appeal might be their joint representation.

I'm not so sure. I've seen that this issue was brought before the court in 2017 and they signed waivers:-

Mull disagreed that a conflict of interest, even the potential of one, was present due to her clients’ refusal to take a plea offer and their wish to present a “united front” against allegations she said are false.

She presented waivers of conflict penned by Jennifer and Joseph Rosenbaum re-asserting their intent to jointly retain Mull as counsel.

[...]

“They cannot withstand a conviction. She’s a law student, he’s a correctional officer. They cannot take a plea, they do not wish to take a plea,” she added.

Judge to consider disqualifying Rosenbaums’ attorney from joint representation in murder case

“Upon consideration of the arguments of the parties and the record as a whole, the State’s Motion for Disqualification of Defense Counsel is denied at this time,” Amero ordered, court records show.

Prosecutors argued for Mull’s removal on Friday, making the case that because of the potential for conflict of interest, any conviction in the case could possibly be reversed on appeal.

Rosenbaums to keep joint defense attorney in child death case

One must sign a power of attorney document and you can withdraw this from the lawyer later.
The client himself must express the wish, that´s what I know.
For me, that was a smart and important point for the prosecutors.
Because even at this time, the defendants didn´t want that.

For Mr. Rosenbaum I think of: Ineffective assistance of counsel.

I'm so pleased Corinne Mull does not get to add this as a success story to her CV. She was almost frenzied with her repeated motions for mistrial during deliberations with all the media and public attention this case was receiving. Thousands were watching live last night. I like to think the judge was also addressing her after her sentencing pleas about this not being the most egregious of crimes and no evidence Joseph knew.
Exactly.

I may have missed it. Did either of the Rosenbaums make a statement during victim impact? I wondered if they ever showed any remorse?

They are just like every criminal defendant I have seen then. No remorse ever, just for themselves.
I know there is no excuse on this planet for what they did, but I would like to know what made Jennifer act the way she did. I'm not sure I listened to the whole of Tessa's testimony, there might be part I didn't see. I wonder if it had anything to do with their history in foster care. The testimony that she said "karma is a b...." seems to be relevant but I don't understand what she was talking about.

I know at the sentencing there was no reaction from her other than shaking her head no. From him it looked like tears and shaking because he is scared of prison. jmo

I know there is no excuse on this planet for what they did, but I would like to know what made Jennifer act the way she did. I'm not sure I listened to the whole of Tessa's testimony, there might be part I didn't see. I wonder if it had anything to do with their history in foster care. The testimony that she said "karma is a b...." seems to be relevant but I don't understand what she was talking about.

There was testimony from a neighbor, that conversed with Jennifer, and what Jennifer said sounded very odd at the time. Jennifer told her that the children she was fostering were the children of a woman she had been in foster care with and that "Karma was a ". I found the video and will post the link. However, the comments under the video are very interesting. One poster claimed to know Tessa and related information that Tessa told her that could have made for very hard feelings from Jennifer. The poster's name is Kelly Walker. If revenge and envy on Jennifer's part is the reason she abused Laila then she is even more evil than I thought and I didn't think that was possible.

ATLANTA — A Georgia foster mother convicted of murder in 2019 in the death of the 2-year-old girl in her care had her appeal arguments heard Thursday morning at the Georgia State Supreme Court.

[...]

According to a summary from the state Supreme Court, Rosenbaum's argument contends "her trial counsel provided ineffective assistance by failing to request a jury instruction on the law of justification as a defense and that the trial court erred when it found that trial counsel was not laboring under an unwaivable, actual conflict of interest."

She appealed her conviction two months after her the trial, in October 2019.

According to a summary from the state Supreme Court, Rosenbaum's argument contends "her trial counsel provided ineffective assistance by failing to request a jury instruction on the law of justification as a defense and that the trial court erred when it found that trial counsel was not laboring under an unwaivable, actual conflict of interest."
Justification as a defense in the murder of a 2 year old?

MOO: It’s five years later, the time is passing, all of this appeal garbage is expensive on the backs of Georgia taxpayers but neither party will be released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back