Found Deceased GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2

Monday, March 4th:
*Motions Hearing (revised murder charges) (@ 9am ET) - GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell (16) (Apr. 17, 2017, Augusta; found Mar. 8, 2018) – *Leon Lamarr Tripp (38/now 44) step-dad arrested (5/23/17) & indicted & charged (3/13/18) of 2 counts of murder, kidnapping with bodily injury, cruelty to children in the 1st degree & concealing a death. [Charges revised see below] Plead not guilty. Bond $500K. DA will seek DP.
Indicted & re-charged (11/14/23) & arraigned (12/8/23) with malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, family violence, cruelty to children & concealing death of another.
*Indicted & charged (10/3/23) & arraigned (10/20/23) with possession of contraband by inmate. Plead not guilty.
Trial set to begin on 3/25/24.
Judge Daniel J. Craig presiding. State attorney Deshala T. Dixon & defense attorneys Nathaniel L. Studelska & Laura M. Cobb.

Court info from 2/2/18 thru 11/7/23 reference post #49 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-mom-stepdad-charged-augusta-2.649996/page-3

11/14/23 Update: New indictment. Notice of subsequent indictment. indicted & charged (11/14/23) with malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, family violence, cruelty to children & concealing death of another.
11/21/23 Update: Possession on 11/2/23 docket update: State's discovery responses, motions notices & demands.
11/20/23 Update: Possession: efiled: Entry of appearance & Notice of defendant's election to proceed under O.C.G.A. section 17-16-1 Et Deq. & consolidated motions & demands for discovery, statement, scientific reports & other enumerated motions.
11/21/23 Update: Murder: Next arraignment hearing for new murder charges on 12/8/23. 11/30/23 Update: Possession: eFiled joint entry of appearance. 12/11/23 Update: Old murder charge: Sealed ex-parte hearing transcript. UAP Hearing transcript both held on 10/25/23.
12/8/23 Update: Murder: Next motions hearing on 3/4/24 @ 9am & trial has been set to begin on 3/25/24 @ 9am.
*Tanya Faye Tripp (35/now 41) "mom" – Trial set to begin for revised murder charges on 3/25/24.

The only thing I found was an updated on FB...

UPDATE:
Tanya Tripp will face a judge for arraignment next week Thursday, March 29 @ 9:00 a.m. for murder in the second degree, concealing the death of another and hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal. As for Leon Tripp, DA has filed and is seeking the death penalty.

link: Justice for LaTania Janell Carwell

I highly doubted that the trial would start on 3/25/24.

I did ask on the site about Leon's trial starting 3/25/24.

@vls12345 - since I have no more access to the Richmond County court site - is there anything new for Leon - or even Tanya besides the next hearing date? TIA!

@Niner

Records as of today for Tripp, Leon (so I don't notice any changes):
1709649713804.png
1709649856153.png

Fyi, for Leon, the lawyers:
1709650376551.png

Records as of today for Tripp, Tanya (looks like she has some additional entries; last time her last entries were 1/12/24 and 3/25/24 so now the extras between those dates have been added):
1709650004577.png

Also, for Tanya, I don't see a lawyer listed, just Dixon who is Prosecution (I'm assuming "S" means "state"):
1709650303309.png

P.S. If you want to see if you can also access records, try this link:
Case Management Search | Augusta, GA - Official Website
(You need to agree to the statement, then a new window will open where you can do a civil or criminal search.)

vls12345 said:
snipped by me...

P.S. If you want to see if you can also access records, try this link:
(You need to agree to the statement, then a new window will open where you can do a civil or criminal search.)

Thanks for the info!
On the link you provided. I can access to that page, but when I agree - the next page says: "403 Forbidden" - maybe because I am in Europe & they have strange rules....

I do not believe the trial is going to happen on 3/25/24 since FB said that the arraignment hearings are now on 3/29/24 for those new charges for Tanya & a preliminary hearing for Leon, so I will put them on there....

Last edited:
I do not believe the trial is going to happen on 3/25/24 since FB said that the arraignment hearings are now on 3/29/24 for those new charges for Tanya & a preliminary hearing for Leon, so I will put them on there....

Thanks, Niner. I checked again a few minutes ago and both still have March 25 listed as the trial date in the records.

I bet it does have something to do with the fact that you are in Europe with not being able to access the website.

Thanks, Niner. I checked again a few minutes ago and both still have March 25 listed as the trial date in the records.

I bet it does have something to do with the fact that you are in Europe with not being able to access the website.

I shall check back with you a couple of days before the 25th - and see what the court site says. Thanks again for looking. :)

I shall check back with you a couple of days before the 25th - and see what the court site says. Thanks again for looking. :)
Any idea if they plan on showing the court trial online or t.v ?

me personally - I have no idea... sorry!

@vls12345 - I have Tanya for arraignment on 3/29/24 & Leon for a preliminary hearing same day.

I don't think I've ever seen a trial from the area on TV. Reporters will likely be in the courtroom, but we won't get the live coverage.
A former classmate was her teacher and my cousin is a member of the church she attended.
Her aunt and uncle (brother of her mom) have custody of her younger sister.

me personally - I have no idea... sorry!

@vls12345 - I have Tanya for arraignment on 3/29/24 & Leon for a preliminary hearing same day.

Copying & pasting the March 2024 dates for both Leon Tripp & Tanya Tripp...

Current case records for Leon still showing a jury trial on 3/25/24:
Tripp, Leon
1710988459437.png

Current case records for Tanya still showing a jury trial on 3/25/24:
Tripp, Tanya
1710988649542.png

@vls12345 - from my notes:

3/4/24 Update: Tripp faced a judge for arraignment on 3/4/24 @ 9am for murder in the 2nd degree, concealing the death of another & hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal. Motion to continue trial-granted. Next preliminary hearing on 3/29/24 @ 9am.

Now I am wondering "where" did I get THAT info??!!

@vls12345 - from my notes:

3/4/24 Update: Tripp faced a judge for arraignment on 3/4/24 @ 9am for murder in the 2nd degree, concealing the death of another & hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal. Motion to continue trial-granted. Next preliminary hearing on 3/29/24 @ 9am.

Now I am wondering "where" did I get THAT info??!!

Apparently you found it on a FB group.
Post in thread 'GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2' Found Deceased - GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2

I am not on FB so I haven’t checked there.

Apparently you found it on a FB group.
Post in thread 'GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2' Found Deceased - GA - LaTania 'Janell' Carwell - Abducted & Murdered - Mom & Stepdad Charged - Augusta #2

I am not on FB so I haven’t checked there.

Ah! Thanks! LOL! I thought I was going wonky!! :D

So - what do you think - trial on 3/25 or hearings on 3/29? I have them both on 3/29 - cause the court site is always late in updates - I noticed when I could access it.

While the trial was set to start Monday, a surprise hearing was called at 10 a.m. The hearing focused on a legal motion that must be dealt with before the trial can begin.

Sheriff Richard Roundtree and his team went on a 10-month chase to find Janell.

In March of 2018, Janell’s body was found in the backyard of a home on Golden Camp road, buried in a shallow grave.

District Attorney Jared Williams says prosecutors determined the couple acted in concert to cause the death and disappearance of Carwell.

The full list of charges against both defendants are:
  • Malice murder.
  • Felony murder.
  • Aggravated assault.
  • Cruelty to children in the first degree.
  • Concealing the death of another.

I remember this case. Sorry to know it has yet to be to trial. Latania had nobody she could trust.

While the trial was set to start Monday, a surprise hearing was called at 10 a.m. The hearing focused on a legal motion that must be dealt with before the trial can begin.

Sheriff Richard Roundtree and his team went on a 10-month chase to find Janell.

In March of 2018, Janell’s body was found in the backyard of a home on Golden Camp road, buried in a shallow grave.

District Attorney Jared Williams says prosecutors determined the couple acted in concert to cause the death and disappearance of Carwell.

The full list of charges against both defendants are:
  • Malice murder.
  • Felony murder.
  • Aggravated assault.
  • Cruelty to children in the first degree.
  • Concealing the death of another.

So - now wondering if this 3/29/24 hearing date is still good?

@vls12345 - has the court site been updated yet? TIA!

Just took a quick peek. Don't see anthing new listed. Last entry for both is a 9am jury trial for today.

Thanks (again!) for checking. I shall be back... :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back