GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Destini:

This has been bugging me off and on for a while, and for some reason I just never asked it. Can anyone help? I'm sure that I just missed it...

Here is an idea about how someone could know if their door was locked on or around a specific day 3 years ago. I might be able to remember this if there was a period of time that I habitually did lock my door, then for some reason gave that up (or vice versa).

For example, say that I lived with a roommate, and we were pretty diligent about locking our doors even though it was just out of an abundance of caution (meaning that we did it out of habit or something even though we never had serious concerns about intruders). However, the lock starts sticking for some unknown reason, we call the maintenance or whomever a couple times and they fix it but then it gets sticky again. (Based on a real pain-in-the-butt lock on one of the doors to a previous lab.) We are tired of the inconvenience and we don't really have serious concerns about intruders, so we just give up locking at some point. (Note, I would not personally do this - I would have the lock replaced - but I bet that not everyone would.)

Or say that my roommate and I are living together, not really worried about intruders and therefore not very consistent about locking up. Maybe we lock the doors when we are both in "for the night" or when we leave the house for class in the a.m. even though we are not on exactly the same schedule. But on Mondays-Wed-Fri I get out of class at 2 and come home to run before I study, so just while I'm out running I leave the door unlocked so that I don't have to carry the key with me. (This is kind of common practice among med students at my school, anyway.) But we start hearing stories about other apartments in our general area being burglarized, and at some point decide that it is not worth the risk to leave the place unlocked and unattended even if it is only for an hour.

You can be the judge on how realistic those particular situations or the ideas in general may be. :) Just some thoughts that occurred to me, because sometimes I do wonder, "How the heck would I know?!" when I hear detectives' questions (in real life or on tv, lol).
There's never been a time in my life when I didn't lock doors because I've always lived in large cities. So I can't relate to that part of your post. You did remind me of something that was mentioned at the time of the burglary arrest, and I can't recall if it was confirmed. The burglaries took place during and right after the Christmas holidays (last week of December and first week of January, iirc). It was said (or speculated) that the tenants in apts. 5 and 9 were out of town for the holidays/semester break. If true, I think the tenants would remember if they left their apartments unlocked while they were away.

This crossed my mind today, so I went back and listened to Buford's interview.
He states that SM has been "very articulate" and "very conversant" with him. :waitasec:

This got me to thinking. I went back and viewed some of the videos of SM entering, leaving, etc the courthouse/courtroom. He seems quite able to move on his own power. This indicates to me he is aware of his surroundings. I mean if he is so out of it, could he even navigate on his own? I watched the video of him entering the van outside of the courthouse last Friday. He had no trouble getting in, no missteps, etc. When he sat in the seat, his face immediately looked forward. IMO, that seems to be an act.

At 39:01, Buford was apparently asking Patterson if something had come back from the FBI.
I'd like to know what that was.
And I'd like to know why they cut it out of the video.

I'd like to know what they cut out after Buford asked for a minute
and before we see him at his table looking through his notes.

AND when we're taken from looking at Buford going through his notes
abruptly into the Judge speaking in mid-sentence.

A rather meticulous transcript of this: :D

It's so nice to come back from a brief hiatus and find this little gem. Thanks SS for such a great post! I watched the hearing live, and can attest to several brief interruptions in the streaming. I'm not sure if this was due to the nature of the live streaming, or whether they may have experienced some technical difficulties. I do seem to remember Buford asking something like "Did any of the results that came back from Quantico provide the basis for the probable cause?" Again, this is just my recollection several days, and a weekend break, later. As a side note, I literally cringed for the entire period during which Detective Patterson seemed almost stupefied by Buford's question. Whether he was hesitating in an effort to prevent the revelation of important details, or whether his hesitation was caused by his instinct that answering "no" to that question wouldn't sound so reassuring, I almost had to click the mute button. I agree with lots of other posters that he certainly did not look or sound well-prepared, which surprised me given the limited scope of the hearing itself.

There's never been a time in my life when I didn't lock doors because I've always lived in large cities. So I can't relate to that part of your post. You did remind me of something that was mentioned at the time of the burglary arrest, and I can't recall if it was confirmed. The burglaries took place during and right after the Christmas holidays (last week of December and first week of January, iirc). It was said (or speculated) that the tenants in apts. 5 and 9 were out of town for the holidays/semester break. If true, I think the tenants would remember if they left their apartments unlocked while they were away.

Well, I've only lived in small cities/towns, and although I lock religiously whether I'm in or out of the home, I know for a fact that many people don't. I see stuff happen on tv shows or in the news and think how vulnerable I am; they apparently see the same stuff but figure it only happens in other places, to other people. I have been teased, usually pretty good-naturedly, about my "paranoia" in this regard. And they may have a point. ;)

If true, it's interesting that the tenants were outa town for break. I would assume that, regardless of their everyday locking habits (which is mainly what my previous post focused on), they would surely lock up if they planned to be away for an extended time? I honestly didn't remember this bit about the holidays. Maybe I can imagine that if I was on my way out for break and saw the maintenance guy at the next apartment, and he asked me to leave mine unlocked or said that he'd lock mine up because he would be working in my unit in the next couple minutes, I'd leave it open...but that feels like a real reach. :crazy: I dunno, I just can't see not securing my place if I knew I'd be away for more than an hour or 2 at most.

[/b]

This got me to thinking. I went back and viewed some of the videos of SM entering, leaving, etc the courthouse/courtroom. He seems quite able to move on his own power. This indicates to me he is aware of his surroundings. I mean if he is so out of it, could he even navigate on his own? I watched the video of him entering the van outside of the courthouse last Friday. He had no trouble getting in, no missteps, etc. When he sat in the seat, his face immediately looked forward. IMO, that seems to be an act.
I agree, Pearl. When Buford spoke to him at the end of the hearing, he was very cognizant, even glanced over at the camera. I'm not sure he's putting on an act. We've never seen him in class, for example. Maybe what we saw is his normal posture and expression but somewhat more sullen because of the situation.

ETA: Not to mention, he's also very gaunt which adds to the appearance of a wide-eyed gaze.

On a side note, I served grand jury duty today in my county. One of the assistant district attorneys was a young lady who graduated from Mercer Law.

Like I mentioned earlier, young people think they are 10ft tall and bulletproof. My daughter's fiancé and his roommates (a male attorney and a female teacher) had a horrible habit of leaving their door unlocked in Macon and right there on Orange St until the murder happened. Then they locked it. Now, they have all moved, but it is a bad habit for some people. I think with roommates, it may be worse. Everyone is on their own schedule and don't have to answer to each other about where they are or when they will be home.

Also, during Christmas break, not as many students return home as you would think. Many of them are adults and live there full time. They have jobs and social lives in Macon. They may pop in at home for a few days, but 'home' is Macon for many of them while they are in school. Also, a lot of parents have gotten rid of the bedroom, or even moved to smaller homes, while their kids are in college. I haven't, but a lot of my daughter's friends have no where to sleep when they go home for a visit.

I agree, Pearl. When Buford spoke to him at the end of the hearing, he was very cognizant, even glanced over at the camera. I'm not sure he's putting on an act. We've never seen him in class, for example. Maybe what we saw is his normal posture and expression but somewhat more sullen because of the situation.

ETA: Not to mention, he's also very gaunt which adds to the appearance of a wide-eyed gaze.

BBM

For what it's worth, in the single class that I had with him, he looked nothing like glassy-eyed, completely detached person he's appeared to be during these hearings. Although I don't remember him ever speaking voluntarily or engaging in the discussion, I do remember him turning around in order to better hear the comments of other students. To me, that suggests that he was, at the very least, engaged enough to feign interest in the discussion. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he would in theory be much more interested in a commitment hearing on his own murder charge than a classroom discussion...

Although, this is all discounting the possible effect of any medications be may be currently taking.

Reviewing a bit tonight and found the MPD press release from July 7th that mentions the second canine search. (Only the first one was referenced in Friday's hearing.)

6. A K-9 search and rescue unit from Dooly County has volunteered to conduct a second search of Lauren’s apartment complex and of the surrounding area. The search team will be in Macon tomorrow, Friday, July 8, beginning at the complex and expanding their search outward. MPD is most appreciative of the concern and support shown by groups such as this.
http://maconpolice.us/?p=942
South Georgia K-9 Search and Rescue dogs gave the crime scene at Lauren Giddings' apartment on Georgia Avenue another thorough search Friday morning, in addition to other locations of interest..

Macon Police Chief Mike Burns burns says that Dooly County's K-9 Search and Rescue unit hit several areas that previous K-9 units have shown interest in, but no new evidence was found...

The K-9 unit did not search Stephen McDaniel's apartment - next door to Giddings'. Chief Burns says investigators are no longer searching his apartment, although he is still a person of interest in the case. No one has been named a suspect yet.
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...Dooly-Sheriffs-Office-K-9-Dogs-125214739.html

The first time Thad Money met Stephen McDaniel, he couldn’t help laughing.

McDaniel was in his Mercer University dorm room playing a video game. Money, a transfer from the United States Air Force Academy, popped in to say hello, but had to retreat to his bedroom so he wouldn’t crack up in front of McDaniel.

“I walk back to my room and I double over laughing for 30 minutes,” Money recalled. “He’s sitting at his computer playing this stupid MS-DOS ‘World of Warcraft’ game. ... He’s wearing chain mail.”

That was in August 2007. Now, four years later, McDaniel faces murder charges -- charges based, in part, on Money’s memories of some of their conversations.
Ex-roommate saw 2 sides of McDaniel
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/30/1682872/ex-roommate-saw-2-sides-of-mcdaniel.html

I wanted to point out that the above underlined statement in this article is incorrect.
If you watch the video of the commitment hearing, at around 28:45,
Detective Patterson testified that TM was SM's roommate during SM's first year of law school
and states he believes this was 2008.
It can be confirmed that TM graduated from Mercer in 2009.

I have notified the Telegraph of this error, so we'll probably see a correction soon.

:bow: :toast: :detective: :thumb: :highfive:

The first time Thad Money met Stephen McDaniel, he couldn’t help laughing...
That was in August 2007.

Bessie can you find a *nail* smiley and add it to our library?

Sounds like McD's ex-roomie has an excellent memory to me.
Absolutely. Very credible witness.
Money said he has told police, in explicit detail, what McDaniel’s “perfect” plan supposedly was.

Police have said those specifics are in line with what they believe happened to Lauren Giddings.
BBM

No nail, Knox. Will a bullseye do? :bullseye: :)

I have to admit, I was a little dubious about this witness. Not now.

Given this new information, I was a little concerned about Patterson's testimony as to when TM and SM were roommates.
So I went back and watched this. It appears he covered himself :)
Buford: And when did this conversation allegedly take place? Do we have a date or time?

Patterson: It's... It's in the statement, Mr. Buford. I don't have the statement in front of me.

Buford: Do you know if it was this year? last year? or what year it was?

Patterson: From what I remember, it's the first year of their law class. I'm assuming it was 2008.

Here's a smiley hammering a nail, knoxy! Don't know if that'll help..
hammer-and-nail-smile.gif

Stephen brilliant.. Stephen obsessed with power.. Stephen obsessed with sharing how to commit perfect murder.. Stephen bragging about how a locked door would not deter him, nor keep him out and then proved it to roomie..

Lots of info.. Absolutely this man will be a major testimony in the trial.. I have a feeling the majority of details of the murder that match with his perfect plan he detailed to Money..

His refusing to elaborate on Stephens constant need for power made me feel that many details of his perfect murder plan obviously were power motivated and tortures and methods that would exert this power to an extreme over
His victim..

Given this new information, I was a little concerned about Patterson's testimony as to when TM and SM were roommates.
So I went back and watched this. It appears he covered himself :)
You have to wonder why Buford asked the question in the first place. His client could've given him the information, and if not, his client's mother would know. Did he want it in the record that the two were roommates 3-4 years ago, as though that would make a difference?

From the article:
“And I said, ‘Why?’’’ Money said. “And he said, ‘I’d just find a way to bum-rush you with chloroform or something.’’’
Money said he just looked at McDaniel and said, “Remind me to sleep with my door locked.”
To which Money said McDaniel replied, “Well, that wouldn’t matter.”
“I said, ‘What do you mean?’’’ Money said. “He said, ‘Go in your room and lock the door. Put a timer on 30 seconds and I’ll be in there before the time runs out. He was in there in 29. ... He took his knife and wedged the little (lock) open.”
Like I said -- locks, keys, right up his alley.

“I don’t know what got to him (at law school). ... Maybe it was proved to him that he wasn’t the smartest guy in the world,” Money said.
“He was obsessed with power. Everything to him was a power game. He wanted power. I don’t want to elaborate more than that.”

Yes, Bessie I think what you mentioned is exactly what was Buford's motive for pressing for "when".. Making sure how long ago it was by asking Patterson was it this year? 2 years ago ? When?

Trying to put as much distance between His client and those statements to Money.. Making it somehow have less meaning if it was said several years ago. I believe that is exactly what his motive was in pinning Patterson down on ATLEAST a round about time, as in year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member