GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get on macon.com anymore. It keeps telling me to sign in? Anyone else having this issue? My Mom just called and said she heard there was going to be something on their local news around 10 this morning.
When I have problems with Macon dot com, Control + F2 to clear the browser cache usually works. You can also go into your browser settings to clear session cookies, browsing history, etc.

I don't know if I was shocked that he was charged or just hoped he wouldn't be. Now I just hope justice is served.

It is so sad for both families but one has lost a child in a horrible way and they will never get over it.

I just pray that if he is guilty he will tell where her remains are so the family can bury their daughter.

No, no, no, these were not dorm rooms. These were actual residences. That would be no more acceptable than you going into your neighbor's house without our neighbor's knowledge or permission to use their computer. Lauren and McD did not have that kind of relationship.

OH, no, I know that...that is not what I meant. Since she was doing the online prep for the Bar, could he claim that he was using that key to sneak into her room and read her online prep information and NOT reading her emails for stalking, obsession purposes.

It might look different to a jury.

To my Websleuth Friends,
My feelings regarding McD's murder charge took me by surprise.
Many of you have expressed the same sentiment on your posts.
Today is a bittersweet day.
Hence, this summary of my feelings and thoughts.

When this crime first came to light, I presumed Stephen’s innocence.
I read every article and considered that maybe this was one of those unpredictable, random crimes in which the real killer was still on the loose. I even hoped this was the case.
However, as the facts unraveled and the events unfolded from June 30th until Aug 1,
I became more and more convinced that Stephen was the perpetrator.
On top of the facts and circumstances that were published, in the end, it was the aired interview that finally tipped the scale for me.
Many people are convinced that Stephen’s reaction was authentic and that he was deeply upset when he was informed that a body had been found.
I, too, believe he was deeply upset and in shock, but for entirely different reasons.

When Michelle Quesada said: 'the body… they recovered....'
Stephen’s only response was: 'BODY?'
He did not ask, “ Where?
is it Lauren? Are you sure it is Lauren?
What happened to her?”

Instead, he almost fainted, had difficulty breathing, and had to sit down.
Right then and there, Stephen knew it was all over; that he had been caught.
The trash has not been picked up at Barristers Hall Apartments.
Lauren's status took an immediate turn from:
MISSING PERSON to HOMICIDE VICTIM.

Last night, when I read that Stephen was charged with the murder of Lauren, I felt relief for Lauren's family. What a deeper plunge into the hearts of her family if the person who took Lauren's life and dismembered her was never charged. Not that justice can ever be completely served for nothing can bring back Lauren, but to have her perpetrator walk free would be unbearable.

The lives of Lauren’s family have been forever changed:
Every holiday, every family gathering, and every birthday,
Lauren’s absence, her silence, will be visible and heart-breakingly tangible.
The lives of Lauren's family will never be the same.
They will never get over this.
How could they?

On the other hand, after reading the murder charge, my heart ached for Stephen’s family.
They cannot conceive that he actually, literally and with his hands, committed this heinous crime:
Killed a young woman and dismembered her?
No, that is impossible, law enforcement has charged the wrong person, they will say…

And then there is Stephen’s poor heartbroken Mother.
She will never believe the son she adores, her handsome young 'lawyer - son', could do this regardless of what evidence and proof is shown to her. She will always be convinced that this was a ‘set up’, some sort of bad mistake, a mix up, and that her son is completely innocent.
Maybe the rest of his family, in time, can come to the truth, but I seriously doubt his Mother ever will.

The lives of Stephen’s family are also changed forever…
while Stephen is away....
always hoping for the truth to be revealed….
for the real killer to be found.

This is all so very sad and heartbreaking.
Two young people who had the world at their fingertips,
Two lives full of accomplishment, hope, and promise,
With such high accolades: law school graduates,
Both on the high road of life with bright futures....
All lost.
Completely destroyed.

One is dead and dismembered:
Lauren Teresa Giddings - age 27
A church is prepared for the funeral service as relatives scour the Ocmulgee River’s edge looking for remains.

One is in jail charged with 1 count of murder and 2 counts of burglary:
Stephen Mark McDaniel - Inmate ID 145875 - age 25

And we sit in disbelief as we look up toward Heaven and wonder....
Why and how did this come to pass ….

Lauren’s Obituary
http://donaldson.funeralplan2....

Stephen’s Inmate information
http://www.co.bibb.ga.us/BSOIn...

Stephen’s 3 part interview:
http://www.newscentralga.com/n...

I have a theory. I am wondering if a couple of families planned on getting together at the Fish and Pig for dinner after graduation. McD shows up and no one can figure out why he is there as no one says that they actually invited him. Lauren comes home and something about her emails makes her suspect that McD is sneaking in and reading them and that is how he heard about the dinner at the Fish and Pig.

Fast forward to the Thurs. and she notices that something amiss in her apartment. She mentions to people that she thinks McD is coming in and reading her emails or maybe she even writes an email stating this.

I guess I will wait for the Press conference this afternoon to say more, but I have some questions as to why "felony murder" with no premeditation.

If SM has any compassion in him (which I seriously doubt due to the horrific nature of this crime), I hope he quickly tells LE the location of the rest of the body.

I just don't see this happening, unless they offer him a plea bargain (if that's possible). I wouldnt think he would want to incriminate himself further by revealing where the rest of the remains are. I hope I am wrong.

I have a theory. I am wondering if a couple of families planned on getting together at the Fish and Pig for dinner after graduation. McD shows up and no one can figure out why he is there as no one says that they actually invited him. Lauren comes home and something about her emails makes her suspect that McD is sneaking in and reading them and that is how he heard about the dinner at the Fish and Pig.

Fast forward to the Thurs. and she notices that something amiss in her apartment. She mentions to people that she thinks McD is coming in and reading her emails or maybe she even writes an email stating this.

I guess I will wait for the Press conference this afternoon to say more, but I have some questions as to why "felony murder" with no premeditation.

It is perplexing. I wonder if they felt more comfortable charging him with FM because premeditation is harder to show as concretely without the whole body. Maybe it's difficult to say what her exact cause of death is without the other body parts, so FM was a "safer" charge to make for the time being.

Not knowing the exact cause of death would make it harder to say the death was premeditated this early in the game, I would think.

http://www.ajc.com/news/lilburn-man-charged-in-1070958.html

wow. am i the only one shocked mcd actually done it? when i found out my mouth dropped. and idk why. i always thought they would end up arresting someone off the street or something...

i hope laurens family can get closure now, and that he is punished to the full extent of the law. what a sicko.

I'm shocked he held onto the body for so long and then deposed of it at the apartments. Why didn't someone smell something and report it? I hope we find out what was on the Walmart video.

The indictment can't be waived for a capital felony, so there will probably have to be an indictment at some point here. He could definitely forego trial and plead guilty, though.

I guess one thing I hoped would happen is that they would try to force McD to make a plea prior to Lauren's funeral, and try to cut some kind of deal. Now, there is basically no chance that they can try and make McD give the locations for the remaining body parts in time to let her be buried all at once.

Given the amount of time McD would have had to clean up and the proximity of the parties, I think the DNA evidence might be of less importance in this case. If McD just says, "Oh, Lauren came by to borrow some sugar," any stray bits of DNA the clean-up missed will be explainable. Forensics would be nice, but I think good old fashioned detective work, tracking down McD's movements and purchases during the relevant time period, etc., will ultimately be more valuable here.

That's why I was thinking they may have tried to lock him into a statement about whether or not she had entered his apartment at any time recently and exactly what she did when she was there, to eliminate those convenient alibis.

Thanks for the tips everyone - it worked to clear out cookies!

I'm shocked he held onto the body for so long and then deposed of it at the apartments. Why didn't someone smell something and report it? I hope we find out what was on the Walmart video.

This is just a rumor but I heard that the torso was wrapped in plastic and also covered with bleach. This may have been to help keep the smell down but probably wouldn't have been very effective at covering the smell for long.

I'd be interested to see if SMD's Walmart purchase included bleach.

Does this help? Felony murder indicates murder was not the original intent, but during the execution of another crime, a felony, the murder occurred.

I am guessing that they are going with the safest bet here instead of putting themselves in a situation where they try to prove premeditation with a defendant who isn't even speaking to them. I think they are likely shaken by the fact that it's been difficult so far to find clear and abundant evidence of the crime in the form of body fluids/etc. and that they are dealing with a law school graduate...they don't want another painful lesson in jurisprudence like we got here in Orlando so they won't overreach. JMO and possibly entirely wrong.

I'm surprised they released the news by updating the inmate search site only, and didn't make a statement to the media or anything. Is that how things are usually done in such high profile cases? And now they're not having a press conference until tomorrow afternoon?

Everything the MPD has done so far seems to indicate that though it is a high profile case, they don't want it to be.

Can't find the video posted online yet, but in 13WMAZ's 11PM newscast, they had spoken to Bill Giddings. Sounds like he found out just before the warrant info was available online.

He told them that they were shocked but hoped that now, maybe McD will help them get the rest of her (which is horribly sad to hear him word it that way - I just can't imagine.

The link was already posted upstream that had some of the info:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/138384/175/Stephen-McDaniel-Charged-With-Murder

That just kicked me right in the stomach, seriously, how dare anyone force a family into such a place where they have to hope you help them find the missing parts of their child's dismembered body? :banghead:

http://www.ajc.com/news/lilburn-man-charged-in-1070958.html

wow. am i the only one shocked mcd actually done it? when i found out my mouth dropped. and idk why. i always thought they would end up arresting someone off the street or something...

i hope laurens family can get closure now, and that he is punished to the full extent of the law. what a sicko.

I don't understand.
I genuinely feel/have felt compassionately toward Stephen this whole time and didn't want to see his life go down the tube, but I never once had a hard time believing he did it, I never once felt like this was a stranger crime, I don't understand what it is about him that would make anyone feel he couldn't have done it? I have seen the most gentle seeming individuals revealed as brutal killers, there just isn't a way to tell anymore. Perhaps there never was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname