GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she was seen after a night out on June 25th, I think it was Friday night after midnight in the early morning hours of the 25th.
Saturday, Jul. 09, 2011

Two weeks ago, sometime around 6:30 on Saturday evening [June 25th], someone who authorities believe was Lauren Giddings, alone in her car, pulled up to the drive-through window at a Zaxby’s restaurant in downtown Macon. The eatery’s surveillance camera captured a clip of her arm reaching out to grab her order.

Investigators say it is the last known sighting of the 27-year-old Mercer University law school graduate alive.

Police, DA set meeting on Giddings
By AMY LEIGH WOMACK and JOE KOVAC JR. - Telegraph Staff

As Lauren Giddings’ family plans for her funeral this week, Macon police are scheduled to meet with the district attorney Tuesday to discuss all they know about the slaying of the Mercer University law school graduate.

Giddings’ sister, 24-year-old Kaitlyn Wheeler, told The Telegraph via e-mail Sunday that her family had chosen June 26 as the date Lauren died so that a date could be included in her obituary “because we don’t know any other date to pick.”

“Hopefully we will know the truth at some point, but for the obituary we had to make the decision,” Wheeler wrote. “It is NOT a date given to us by the police.”

I remember that, Knox. That was on July 7th. Then, a day or two later, LE said the video showed LG's arm at the Zaxby's drive thru window. I just posted the first article that came up, but it was stated more than once.

Re: rumor that Lauren was out and about Downtown Macon specifically one of the local bars.. Just as others mentioned it's been confirmed here by members that it was their fam member that was one of the people that she was actually out with in downtown Macon on Friday, June 24..

Its my opinion that possibly what either started the rumor or helped to further fuel an already floating rumor is what McD states in his on cam interview.. McD talks about only one other email besides the all important Macon Hoodlums email and it's the one that he said they read when searching for Lauren with the group of friends and had entered her apt.. He said the email was sent sometime earlier in the day, that Saturday the 25th and he said that it was referencing possibly getting to together with some friends for dinner that *evening of the 25th.. He didn't say to whom the email was sent or an exact time.. Just said earlier in the day on that Saturday, June 25th..

So, IMO it is that statement that either began the rumor or further fueled that rumor..*

Moo is that the dinner plans were never finalized or later decided NOT following thru with those plans for whatever reasons.. And that just has been stated Lauren picked up her dinner thru the drive thru of Zaxby's at 6:30.. It's been confirmed that the last time she was seem was on video at Zaxby's 6:30pm and had last been seen by friends morning hours of that Saturday.. I believe as well family was communicating with her via text and email up til a certain hour the night of the 25th and that she had stated she was studying.. Then as we know after the 10:30pm email no one ever had contact or saw her again..

HTH:)

Police, DA set meeting on Giddings
By AMY LEIGH WOMACK and JOE KOVAC JR. - Telegraph Staff

As Lauren Giddings’ family plans for her funeral this week, Macon police are scheduled to meet with the district attorney Tuesday to discuss all they know about the slaying of the Mercer University law school graduate.

Giddings’ sister, 24-year-old Kaitlyn Wheeler, told The Telegraph via e-mail Sunday that her family had chosen June 26 as the date Lauren died so that a date could be included in her obituary “because we don’t know any other date to pick.”

“Hopefully we will know the truth at some point, but for the obituary we had to make the decision,” Wheeler wrote. “It is NOT a date given to us by the police

yes, I think this is the same McMunn posted earlier -- very interesting article

Re: rumor that Lauren was out and about Downtown Macon specifically one of the local bars.. Just as others mentioned it's been confirmed here by members that it was their fam member that was one of the people that she was actually out with in downtown Macon on Friday, June 24..

Its my opinion that possibly what either started the rumor or helped to further fuel an already floating rumor is what McD states in his on cam interview.. McD talks about only one other email besides the all important Macon Hoodlums email and it's the one that he said they read when searching for Lauren with the group of friends and had entered her apt.. He said the email was sent sometime earlier in the day, that Saturday the 25th and he said that it was referencing possibly getting to together with some friends for dinner that *evening of the 25th.. He didn't say to whom the email was sent or an exact time.. Just said earlier in the day on that Saturday, June 25th..

So, IMO it is that statement that either began the rumor or further fueled that rumor..*

Moo is that the dinner plans were never finalized or later decided NOT following thru with those plans for whatever reasons.. And that just has been stated Lauren picked up her dinner thru the drive thru of Zaxby's at 6:30.. It's been confirmed that the last time she was seem was on video at Zaxby's 6:30pm and had last been seen by friends morning hours of that Saturday.. I believe as well family was communicating with her via text and email up til a certain hour the night of the 25th and that she had stated she was studying.. Then as we know after the 10:30pm email no one ever had contact or saw her again..

HTH:)
<bolded for focus for my comment>
The interesting speculation would be: unless she did go out Sat. night, with someone who doesn't want anyone to know they had contact or saw her ... but the date mix-up probability probably pretty well knocks that down

[Whitmire, 58, a former University of Georgia chemistry professor, said he was at the law school June 30 for a bar-exam preparation class when someone heard that police were at the nearby Barristers Hall apartments where he was a neighbor to Giddings and McDaniel

Am I reading this correctly? That it says Whitmire was a neighbor of Giddings and McD at Barristers Hall?? I wonder what unit or proximity was to Lauren and mcDs apts?

<bolded for focus for my comment>
The interesting speculation would be: unless she did go out Sat. night, with someone who doesn't want anyone to know they had contact or saw her ... but the date mix-up probability probably pretty well knocks that down
It would mean she went out and returned home later because her purse, phone, keys, etc., were in her apartment. If LE had reason to believe she had been out that night, I feel confident they would have made a public plea for information from anyone who might've seen her.

Sandstorm I went back to try and find your theory post, but got tired of looking.

I'm really conflicted about how McD could have subdued Lauren. She was a healthy, athletic young woman who I imagine could defend herself quite well. What did you come up with for a possible scenario?

Here's one theory:

I think McD really liked Lauren, but not your normal "like somebody", mind you.
I can imagine him spending his evenings with his ear against the wall.
Becoming more and more obsessed about it over the years.
After all, I don't think he'd ever had a girlfriend before.
So she (and the idea of having someone) became an obsession over something he wanted to "possess".
Take the fact that he had minimal social skills, especially when it came to girls,
throw in a strict and/or sheltered upbringing, then bake that with T.V./Movies
and a society that tends to portray women as "objects of desire"... well, it all just fed this unhealthy ideal.

He'd probably confronted her about his feelings, possibly more than once over the years.
Of course, his being her neighbor and classmate, she did not want to live next to someone with "friction" between them,
so she would let him down gently. I believe someone made the comment that "she was always nice to him".
Like, his being at that restaurant get-together, where someone said it didn't really seem like he was invited.
He probably took each of these gentle let-downs in stride, always looking at the "ok, it's still possible one day" side of it.
Probably asked her not to say anything to anyone about it, since it would embarrass him - and she didn't want that either.
She still probably confidentially told some very close friends she trusted not to say anything,
as was eluded to in that comment about her feeling uncomfortable about him.

I suspect that with her about to move away, he probably worked himself up for one last try.
He probably didn't give up nearly as easy as before.
And since she knew she was about to leave, she may not have been quite as gentle as before.
The confrontation probably got a bit heated. I could see him crying and working himself up to a panic inside.
She probably finally decided the conversation had gone far enough and said "bye", then turned to walk out.
At that moment, all that emotion he'd built up turned into a sudden rage.
He probably grabbed the closest thing he could get his hand on and clubbed her in the back of the head,
knocking her unconscious or killing her right there.
May have even beat on her some more at that point until his rage subsided.
Then, reality set in... and he realized she was dead.

At this point, you can pretty much pickup where SandStorm started:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #4

It would mean she went out and returned home later because her purse, phone, keys, etc., were in her apartment. If LE had reason to believe she had been out that night, I feel confident they would have made a public plea for information from anyone who might've seen her.

Right -- she and whoever was with her could have returned there --or she could have been followed-- but yep, you're right about LE -- unless they already had a convincing report of the sighting, with someone who might be suspected. But not likely. Let's leave it a rumor after all.

Am I reading this correctly? That it says Whitmire was a neighbor of Giddings and McD at Barristers Hall?? I wonder what unit or proximity was to Lauren and mcDs apts?

Don't know -- but wonder if he also was there on the 29th? And if so, did he see Stephen at the bar prep class on that day (since the article says he was there for a bar prep class)

I'm just so anxious for this meeting with LE and the DA. I know every time I hear things such as this, I get my hopes up for some new information. And I know that last week they said they didn't anticipate having the forensic results back before the meeting, but I really hope something will come of this meeting. Some answers to all the questions we've been asking, but mainly answers for Lauren's family and friends.

I'm just so sad that they're having to bury her without finding all of her remains. And I really hope that there is evidence to find who committed this horrible crime.

Sandstorm I went back to try and find your theory post, but got tired of looking.

I'm really conflicted about how McD could have subdued Lauren. She was a healthy, athletic young woman who I imagine could defend herself quite well. What did you come up with for a possible scenario?

June 25 - 30 at BH Apts.

Sandstorm theory post: Thread 4, P 26, post 642 LINK
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #4

Knox, I did not include a theory on how McD subdued Lauren.
My post was based on the unfolding of events from McD's position based on articles and the interview.

Based on what I think was McD's motivation here are some possibilities of how McD subdued Lauren:

Motivation
He had lived beside her for 3 years, watching her.
She was beautiful and untouchable.
He wanted to be more than just friends.
He was infatuated with Lauren.
He was sexually fixated on Lauren.
He knew the end was in sight.
She would be leaving BH apts forever.
Moving away.
Atlanta.
He would never see her again.
McD's attack was a TOTAL surprise to Lauren.
Theories:
as she was walking from her car to the apartment, he lured her into his apt under a false pretense...
or
he knocked on her door asking about a study question and she invited him in to her apt...
or
he knocked on her door and asked her to come over to his apt for with help on a study question...
or
she caught him inside her apt when she returned from Zaxbys...
or
he entered and hid inside her apt while she was out at Zaxbys and waited until she was asleep
or
he entered her apt after she was asleep
(only if she was not using her door jam alarm)
or
he crept up on her when she was in the shower (added from Smoothoperator's post downstream)

(McD used his Master Key for access to her apt)
Since Lauren was an athlete and a good size, I tend to think it was a surprise attack with a hard hit to her head which gave him the advantage from the start.

Like I said, not much to base this on so if you have any ideas please share.

IMP - always - IMO
awaiting forensic results

Here's one theory:

snipped

I suspect that with her about to move away, he probably worked himself up for one last try.
He probably didn't give up nearly as easy as before.

And since she knew she was about to leave, she may not have been quite as gentle as before.
The confrontation probably got a bit heated. I could see him crying and working himself up to a panic inside.
She probably finally decided the conversation had gone far enough and said "bye", then turned to walk out.
At that moment, all that emotion he'd built up turned into a sudden rage.
He probably grabbed the closest thing he could get his hand on and clubbed her in the back of the head,
knocking her unconscious or killing her right there.
May have even beat on her some more at that point until his rage subsided.
Then, reality set in... and he realized she was dead.

At this point, you can pretty much pickup where SandStorm started:

(bold sentence for emphasis)

Good theory, Supersleuth!
Could have very well happened that way.
Thanks for your thoughts.
The only point I find unlikely is his verbal disclosure of his feelings to Lauren...IMO, he would not have been forthright in a verbal approach to Lauren. I do not think he had that confidence to disclose his inner feelings towards her. I feel that she knew he had a 'thing' for her, so she was nice to him and maybe even felt a bit sorry for him. I read a comment on Macon.com that a relative had posted which said, "one of the people, that Lauren told her close friends, that made her feel uncomfortable was you guessed it.". No name mentioned but the inference being McD. IMO.
Also, his lack of social skills forced him to internalize his feelings for Lauren and those feelings developed into, as you said, " an unhealthy ideal ". I have a very bad feeling about what all he was thinking about Lauren... moving into the scale of creepiness which is another reason I do not think he could have talked to Lauren about his feelings. What is worse is, if this crime was premeditated. What if he took this further in his thinking and decided that she could not leave him forever....that he could not bear to let her go... I consider this a possibility which makes this crime worse than it already is.
IMO

Jumping off super sleuths post about a theory about a possible way that Stephen had been able to subdue Lauren.. Just as Knox mentioned one does wonder how this very physically fit woman that stands at 6' was over powered by McD.. I feel under the circumstance of just hand to hand combat between the two of them that Lauren couldve most likely beat the snot out of him.. That's why I feel like not only did McD rely on the element of surprise but also combined that with a moment of weakness, caught completely off guard leaving Lauren at a disadvantage.. I too feel as tho McD's obsession escalated at a rapid pace from the time she returned to Mcaon after her sister's wedding(she returned to Macon June 14.. And was dead 11 days later).. I think in those last 11 days he had grown increasingly desperate as he knew that she was moving to an entire different city on the 31st.. I think he entered her apt when she was out Saturday afternoon/evening and was hidden, lying in wait when Lauren entered her apt after having picked up Zaxby's from the drive thru at 6:30pm.. I would not be surprised if infact that wasn't the first time he had entered her home while she was gone and hid and watched her at some other time.. But the night in question I believe he knew he was not there just to watch her.. I think he was watching and waiting for that perfect opportunity to arise where he could ensure that he had the uppermost hand.. Possibly was going to even wait til she was asleep to make his move.. But I think another opportunity that may have presented itself was Lauren taking a shower.. IMO he knew that he had to kill her quick.. IMO his motives were not for Lauren to be alive(and I will leave it at that).. I believe that he used the element of complete surprise.. Ambush.. With her in a vulnerable, completely unprepared state.. I believe he either used blunt force trauma or survivalist type hunting knife to quickly kill her while in the shower.. As I said I believe his intention was to kill her quickly.. Not just debilitate.. I feel like no matter the Injury if she were only debilitated that she would have fought like hell, screamed like hell, beat on walls, tile like hell!!! And quite possibly have even gained an upper hand on SM.. I think he knew he couldnt risk any of those things so he knew it must be a quick kill.. To which I believe he most likely did some prepping to the area after he initially killed her in the shower that he most likely used something similar to the thick plastic that comes in large rolls for indoor painting.. I believe after covering the entire bathroom and even leading into the hall that then he did dismember her.. I believe her body as a whole never left her apt.. I believe that only due to the prepping done beforehand of the area is the only way that a clean up was possible.. But of course as most know there very likely is going to be trace evidence left behind regardless of the prepping and 3-4days he had to thoroughly clean.. And hopefully that is part of the 200 pieces of evidence tht we know were sent to FBI for testing..

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011, #5

Whoa... Smoothoperator...
I just finished reading your post.
I am shaken from reading it.
The picture you painted in my mind is too real. Too evil.
The shower...that would make sense for a premeditated guaranteed successful mission. I am not sure I am at that juncture where I believe he intended to kill her.
I keep thinking that in the moment of whatever he was attempting to do, rape?, that she was killed, but that it was not premeditated....
I am interested to know:What are your reasons for this theory?
If your theory is correct then woe to the man who could premeditate and commit such a crime.
Poor Lauren, I cry every time I think of such a horrific thing happening to her.

I am reading a lot of assumptions regarding how SM thought, but I do not see any history of his behaviors being erratic. Strange clothing? Yes. Political debates? Yes. But, violence? No. Obsessions? No. I have to wonder why we aren't hearing about a long history of strange violent outbursts if this is the type person he is. To me, that is very telling. It makes all these other equations difficult to swallow.

Has anyone found any history about previous behaviors by SM? Not the email, which was during the election year, and I heard a lot people get really stupid during that time. That was more of a political debate and rant than anything remotely similar to violence. I am looking to hear he did things like obsessed over the girl in math class in high school and the principal got involved. Or he was butchering the neighborhood kittens as a kid. Or that he has previous stalking charges for an ex-girlfriend. And maybe some verification that he was straight and not gay. I have not heard anything at all. If those things were there, I would expect someone, even from his high school days and not a lawyer type, would be blasting away at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona