GA - Man arrested after smashing window, saving dog from hot car, Athens

I rather someone over reacts than under reacts in such a situation.

The world could use more Michael Hammons in it.

I want to hug this man!!!

A dog is not a child. I think he overstepped his boundaries.

If I am not mistaken, a pet is considered property.

A dog is not a child. I think he overstepped his boundaries.

If I am not mistaken, a pet is considered property.

While the dog is not a child, that doesn't mean you can leave your dog in a hot car while you are doing whatever it is you want to do. And that woman can replace her broken window.

Stupid decision the guy deserves a beer and a pat on the back. If the car owner was unhappy then ask for the cost of the window to be repaired arresting the man is out of order. What kind of sentence is the man facing?

Way over reaction. He should have just called the police and had the woman cited for it. The dog is not going to die while the woman runs into a store. He was just taking the law into his own hands.

[video=youtube;nyw7dbua600]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyw7dbua600[/video]

It would be best to go in the store and have them announce something over the loud speaker.

Windows are not cheap and the wrong person may shoot you and claim self defense or say that they mistaken you for a car thief.

So first call police or have store make announcement.

I love dogs to but they are not worth getting killed over by some car owner lunatic.

Jmo

While the dog is not a child, that doesn't mean you can leave your dog in a hot car while you are doing whatever it is you want to do. And that woman can replace her broken window.

It does, as long as you are willing to undergo whatever punishment the law deems fit.

If the dog were barking in the house, would he have had the right to break in because it might be in distress?

I have a problem with people that feel like they have to step into my business.

Way over reaction. He should have just called the police and had the woman cited for it. The dog is not going to die while the woman runs into a store. He was just taking the law into his own hands.

[video=youtube;nyw7dbua600]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyw7dbua600[/video]

Children and pets die yearly because of the attitude that's it's safe to just pop into the store a moment while leaving a life in a parked car with windows rolled up. Not only do they die, they suffer horribly.

I urge anyone who thinks this is an "overreaction" to roll up the windows and sit in the car on a hot day. You won't last two minutes before desperation sets in. Overreaction? Not on your life.

P.S. I don't give a damn if I'm arrested. I won't watch an innocent suffer for a moment. Disgusting.

It does, as long as you are willing to undergo whatever punishment the law deems fit.

If the dog were barking in the house, would he have had the right to break in because it might be in distress?

When I hear a dog barking I do not think he is in distress.

When I see a dog in a parked car, on a hot day, panting and looking like he is getting weaker----then I consider him to be in distress. And it is not an over reaction, imo, to break a car window to allow him some cool fresh air.

It would be best to go in the store and have them announce something over the loud speaker.

Windows are not cheap and the wrong person may shoot you and claim self defense or say that they mistaken you for a car thief.

So first call police or have store make announcement.

I love dogs to but they are not worth getting killed over by some car owner lunatic.

Jmo

It's a shopping center that has numerous stores. They didn't know which store this woman went to. What store would they play this announcement in?

No, no, no!!!!

This is why there are so few good Samaritans, and people look the other way.

Yes a dog's life doesn't count as much as a human's in the eyes of the law, but it's still a life and in this situation the dog has absolutely no control over what's happening to them. Many of these alternate suggestions are way too time consuming, especially if the dogs is panicking/barking/flipping out. I would think that type of behavior only serves to accelerate the situation. Calling the cops is a good idea, but I'm not faulting this guy for not doing that.

Cop should have refused to arrest him IMO as a citation would have been more appropriate if the cop felt he had to do something.

That woman should be ashamed of herself, there is absolutely no reason to take the dog for a ride when you plan/know that you're going to go shopping.

/rant

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-60-degrees-is-too-hot-for-pets-in-cars/19368

I reported a dog locked in a car this weekend at the Oregon coast. Outside temp was 60 degrees and the dog had been in the car barking for at least three hours. Not even a window was cracked and the parking area had plenty of covered spaces but the pet owner chose not to park under cover.

It was overcast most of that time but I finally notified authorities when the sun came out as I knew it would start warming up in that car quick.

In the case from Georgia reported, I'm betting that woman wanted the man charged because she was embarrassed, ashamed and humiliated that her stupidity caused such a public scene. In hindsight I hope she realizes that man saved her dog's life. And if she doesn't.....her karma will catch up with her.

If your business includes torturing and distressing an poor dog while you go into to do your weekly shopping, then YES, I am going to step into it.

Well, I have a problem with people who intentionally endanger the lives of their helpless and defenseless pets.

If you don't want people stepping into your business, don't trap your pet in a hot car with no air supply in a place where humane people are bound to step in. Moo

I can't believe I live in a country where saving a pet's life is an arrestable offense. :notgood:

Some places it is a crime to leave an animal over 20 minutes in a hot car. I would have done the same thing.

I caused a stink couple years back with a lady who left her poodle in car. I went in looking for her found her at check out and it was ugly. And I was loud too. There were 3 people, Mom and 2 young adult daughters, someone could have stayed with that dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would break a window to save a dog I didn't think would survive until cops arrived.
However, only one bystander broke the window. The others were waiting for the cops.
The cops HAD been called and were ENROUTE... this guy chose not to wait for them, while the others waited.
That makes me think that the dog probably didn't appear to be in bad shape at the time.

I'd like to hear more about the dogs actual condition. It doesn't sound like it needed medical attention.
I have called on several pets locked in hot cars. None have been so dire I felt I needed to break the window.

Unfortunately I have to look at it as a risk assessment. It has to be worth the risk of breaking the window.
If the dog will be okay whether I break the window or not, it isn't worth me breaking it.
If it will be saving the dogs life I am happy to risk my own safety to do so, of course.

I am wondering if a bit of "macho" took over in this situation... but I doubt we will ever know.
Either way I don't think he should have been arrested. :twocents:

Dog is a living, breathing animal. Window is a piece of glass. I frankly don't care about risk to the window.

Neither do I.
But I care about risk to MY safety if the owner catches me breaking the window.
I don't want to be shot, stabbed or beaten for trying to rescue a dog OR a child.
I would apply this the same way if it was a kid.
If the kid/dog looks okay I will wait for cops.
I am only willing to risk my own safety and life to save the life of the other.
Fortunately none of the situations I have been in have been that dire. :twocents:

I would break a window to save a dog I didn't think would survive until cops arrived.
However, only one bystander broke the window. The others were waiting for the cops.
The cops HAD been called and were ENROUTE... this guy chose not to wait for them, while the others waited.
That makes me think that the dog probably didn't appear to be in bad shape at the time.

I'd like to hear more about the dogs actual condition. It doesn't sound like it needed medical attention.

There were several pictures of the dog posted. The dog looks hot and was probably uncomfortable, but it didn't look like it was going to die.

TTvp5KD.jpg

eE2Rs4K.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname