GA GA - Mary Shotwell Little, 25, Atlanta, 14 Oct 1965

I'm new to this fascinating case. My initial thoughts are that Mary was murdered by an obsessive, clever stalker, who worked in the bank and had been stalking her for a number of weeks, if not longer. I also think he knew the husband was away and that is why he struck on that date.

The fact that Diane also received red roses leads me to believe both cases are linked. Is it possible that while working in the bank Diane unwittingly confided something with the perp., that sealed her fate ?

Maybe i have been watching too many movies, but I get the impression the perp., could be someone who comes across as friendly and open (maybe a family man) and as a result had flown 'under the radar' during the course of the investigation.

I tend to think this is a case of a stalker rather than some plot involving a group of high level bankers up to no good.

Just my initial thoughts on this case.

I'm new to this fascinating case. My initial thoughts are that Mary was murdered by an obsessive, clever stalker, who worked in the bank and had been stalking her for a number of weeks, if not longer. I also think he knew the husband was away and that is why he struck on that date.

The fact that Diane also received red roses leads me to believe both cases are linked. Is it possible that while working in the bank Diane unwittingly confided something with the perp., that sealed her fate ?

Maybe i have been watching too many movies, but I get the impression the perp., could be someone who comes across as friendly and open (maybe a family man) and as a result had flown 'under the radar' during the course of the investigation.

I tend to think this is a case of a stalker rather than some plot involving a group of high level bankers up to no good.

Just my initial thoughts on this case.

This is the first post I've made here myself but I have followed this case a little in the past. I agree with you for sure this person knew the husband was out of town. That would explain it happening on that particular night and it would also explain why they had no problem returning the car to the parking lot the next morning. It really wasn't all that brazen if you think about it. Knowing the husband was not there it may have never occurred to this person that people would be looking for Mary that soon.
I believe she knew her abductor and likely agreed to meet them that night. She was overheard on the phone telling someone she couldn't meet with them outside of the home anymore but with her husband not there may have decided to meet with them one last time. The perp would have also known that this was gonna be the last time because (as far as I know) the husband didn't work out of town on a consistent basis but was just out that night for some training. In my opinion this probably just comes down to jealousy.
The perp could be someone that worked at the bank but I wouldn't count out customers, someone that did business with the bank. I also wouldn't count out people in Mary's personal life.

It certainly is possible that Mary was abducted and murdered by an obsessive stalker who was also one of her co-workers at the Bank.

But he/she would have had to have accomplices.

Remember, Mary’s credit card (in her husband’s name) was used early on the morning of October 15 to purchase 17 gallons of regular gasoline at an Esso service station in Charlotte, NC on I-85 sometime between the hours of midnight and 2 a.m. according to the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from November 22, 1965. Charlotte is about 260 miles from Lenox Square shopping mall where Mary disappeared at approximately 8 p.m. the previous evening, so the 4-6 hours difference in time makes sense. The credit card charge slip was authorized by ”Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr.” According to the attendant, it was signed by a woman who was lying on the front seat. Her face was partially covered by a road map, but he saw that her forehead was bruised and bloody. 12-14 hours later, Mary’s credit card was used to purchase 15 gallons of regular gasoline at an Esso service stations in Raleigh, NC. Raleigh is about 160 miles from Charlotte, so the time difference puzzled investigators. It should have only taken approximately 3 hours to travel from Charlotte to Raleigh. Again, the credit card was authorized by “Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr.” According to the service station operator In Raleigh, the woman who authorized it was sitting on the passenger seat and wore a white and blue striped towel wrapped around her head. She was wearing a tan colored coat, similar to the London Fog coat Mary was known to have had when she disappeared. There was blood on her head, arms and legs. Some reports say that she was accompanied by one unshaven man in Charlotte and two unshaven men in Raleigh, and some reports also say that she was being ordered around by the man/men.

The FBI could not confirm the signature on the credit card slips was Mary’s, but could not rule it out either. It’s entirely plausible that a bruised and battered Mary Shotwell Little, possibly dazed, certainly terrified and in fear of her life, might have signed those credit card slips with a trembling hand which produced a signature that couldn’t be absolutely confirmed as hers, especially given that she was a newlywed of only a few weeks and was possibly still adjusting to signing her name as “Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr.” instead of as “Mary Shotwell.”

In any event, Mary‘s bloodstained ‘65 Mercury Comet containing her blood speckled underwear reappeared in the Lenox Square parking lot on the morning of October 15. It is irrefutable that Mary’s credit card and the bruised/bloody woman authorizing its use were at the same time hundreds of miles away traveling with one or two men, presumably somewhere enroute between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Whoever drove Mary’s Comet back to Lenox Square on the morning of Friday, October 15, and parked it, could not have been the same man who was hundreds of miles away driving with the bruised/bloody woman authorizing Mary’s actual gasoline credit card.

Unless one is prepared to dismiss eyewitness testimony, including a statement from a traffic officer, stating that there were no other vehicles parked at Lenox Square shopping mall overnight, and until at least 6 a.m. on the morning of Friday, October 15, save for one other vehicle which was not Mary’s Comet, you have to conclude that her kidnapping was NOT the act of one person.

There had to be at least two abductors involved. Perhaps at least three If Mary was in fact seen to be in the company of two men in Raleigh.

Hence, based on the irrefutable use of her credit card in Charlotte and Raleigh, Mary Shotwell Little’s abduction had to be the result of a criminal conspiracy between at least two persons, or three if the reports about the woman at the gas station in Raleigh being accompanied by two men are accurate.

While the obsessive stalker/co-worker scenario fits well with the surprise bouquet of roses, and the numerous disturbing phone calls, Mary received at work in the days leading to her disappearance, it doesn’t fit so neatly with the idea of that stalker hiring a team of two or three, or possibly more, criminals to abduct and murder Mary, unless …

(1) the stalker was someone wealthy and powerful, perhaps a Bank executive or client, and maybe with connections to the criminal underworld. Perhaps he was furious at Mary for spurning his advances. And was prepared to pay a lot of money to make her suffer terribly for it, or

(2) perhaps the stalking (roses, phone calls, possible surveillance, etc.) was actually a deliberate campaign to terrorize Mary in the days leading to her planned abduction. Why would they want to terrorize Mary if they were planning to kidnap and murder her? Perhaps they wanted her to crack under the pressure. Perhaps they wanted her to reveal something that she knew about high level personnel or clients of the Bank that she shouldn’t have known. Perhaps they wanted to hear what Mary knew before going to the trouble of abducting, interrogating and murdering her, or

(3) perhaps the stalking was nothing but a cover story, a distraction from the true nature of the operation. Perhaps the person(s) who ordered the abduction and murder of Mary Shotwell Little had the unfortunate youn woman stalked as a means to camouflage the true motive of the crime from investigators, namely to stop her from ever revealing things that could jeopardize them. A false flag operation, to use the parlance of spooks and conspiracy theorists.

I don’t like conspiracy theories and all the assumptions that inevitably go with them. Conspiracy theories are usually about the possible, and not the probable. Often the simplest explanation is the best. And the lone obsessive stalker makes sense …

Until you realize that Mary was abducted by a team of criminals.

Why?

Read Larry Stargel’s statement to the FBI from 1966. He fingered Gerald “Jerry” Mason, a man with a sordid criminal past who had killed two police officers in California several years prior, as the ringleader of Mary’s abduction, torture and murder. Some of his statements were discredited by the FBI, but nevertheless some of what he said seems to ring true. According to Stargel, each member of the abduction team (5 in total) was paid $5,000 (about $50,000 in today’s money) to kidnap Mary Shotwell Little. Stargel claimed Mason and company were hired by some big shot in Atlanta to do the deed and that Mason ended up blackmailing the big shot after Mary’s gruesome murder.

It’s interesting to note that Mason later set himself in business in Columbia, SC, not only becoming wealthy, but establishing himself as a respected member of the community. He came a long way from being a cop-killer, thief and rapist. Where did he get the money to establish himelf?

The more I read Stargel’s statement, the more I wonder if there isn’t something to it.

Especially when it comes to Jerry Mason’s involvement.

Last edited:
It certainly is possible that Mary was abducted and murdered by an obsessive stalker who was also one of her co-workers at the Bank.

But he/she would have had to have accomplices.

Remember, Mary’s credit card (in her husband’s name) was used early on the morning of October 15 to purchase 17 gallons of regular gasoline at an Esso service station in Charlotte, NC on I-85 sometime between the hours of midnight and 2 a.m. according to the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from November 22, 1965. Charlotte is about 260 miles from Lenox Square shopping mall where Mary disappeared at approximately 8 p.m. the previous evening, so the 4-6 hours difference in time makes sense. The credit card charge slip was authorized by ”Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr.” According to the attendant, it was signed by a woman who was lying on the front seat. Her face was partially covered by a road map, but he saw that her forehead was bruised and bloody. 12-14 hours later, Mary’s credit card was used to purchase 15 gallons of regular gasoline at an Esso service stations in Raleigh, NC. Raleigh is about 160 miles from Charlotte, so the time difference puzzled investigators. It should have only taken approximately 3 hours to travel from Charlotte to Raleigh. Again, the credit card was authorized by “Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr.” According to the service station operator In Raleigh, the woman who authorized it was sitting on the passenger seat and wore a white and blue striped towel wrapped around her head. She was wearing a tan colored coat, similar to the London Fog coat Mary was known to have had when she disappeared. There was blood on her head, arms and legs. Some reports say that she was accompanied by one unshaven man in Charlotte and two unshaven men in Raleigh, and some reports also say that she was being ordered around by the man/men.

The FBI could not confirm the signature on the credit card slips was Mary’s, but could not rule it out either. It’s entirely plausible that a bruised and battered Mary Shotwell Little, possibly dazed, certainly terrified and in fear of her life, might have signed those credit card slips with a trembling hand which produced a signature that couldn’t be absolutely confirmed as hers, especially given that she was a newlywed of only a few weeks and was possibly still adjusting to signing her name as “Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr.” instead of as “Mary Shotwell.”

In any event, Mary‘s bloodstained ‘65 Mercury Comet containing her blood speckled underwear reappeared in the Lenox Square parking lot on the morning of October 15. It is irrefutable that Mary’s credit card and the bruised/bloody woman authorizing its use were at the same time hundreds of miles away traveling with one or two men, presumably somewhere enroute between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Whoever drove Mary’s Comet back to Lenox Square on the morning of Friday, October 15, and parked it, could not have been the same man who was hundreds of miles away driving with the bruised/bloody woman authorizing Mary’s actual gasoline credit card.

Unless one is prepared to dismiss eyewitness testimony, including a statement from a traffic officer, stating that there were no other vehicles parked at Lenox Square shopping mall overnight, and until at least 6 a.m. on the morning of Friday, October 15, save for one other vehicle which was not Mary’s Comet, you have to conclude that her kidnapping was NOT the act of one person.

There had to be at least two abductors involved. Perhaps at least three If Mary was in fact seen to be in the company of two men in Raleigh.

Hence, based on the irrefutable use of her credit card in Charlotte and Raleigh, Mary Shotwell Little’s abduction had to be the result of a criminal conspiracy between at least two persons, or three if the reports about the woman at the gas station in Raleigh being accompanied by two men are accurate.

While the obsessive stalker/co-worker scenario fits well with the surprise bouquet of roses, and the numerous disturbing phone calls, Mary received at work in the days leading to her disappearance, it doesn’t fit so neatly with the idea of that stalker hiring a team of two or three, or possibly more, criminals to abduct and murder Mary, unless …

(1) the stalker was someone wealthy and powerful, perhaps a Bank executive or client, and maybe with connections to the criminal underworld. Perhaps he was furious at Mary for spurning his advances. And was prepared to pay a lot of money to make her suffer terribly for it.

Or (2) perhaps the stalking (roses, phone calls, possible surveillance, etc.) was actually a deliberate campaign to terrorize Mary in the days leading to her planned abduction. Why would they want to terrorize Mary if they were planning to kidnap and murder her? Perhaps they wanted her to crack under the pressure. Perhaps they wanted her to reveal something that she knew about high level personnel or clients of the Bank that she shouldn’t have known. Perhaps they wanted to hear what Mary knew before going to the trouble of abducting, interrogating and murdering her.

I don’t like conspiracy theories and all the assumptions that inevitably go with them. Conspiracy theories are usually about the possible, and not the probable. Often the simplest explanation is the best. And the lone obsessive stalker makes sense …

Until you realize that Mary was abducted by a team of criminals.

Why?

Read Larry Stargel’s statement to the FBI from 1966. He fingered Gerald “Jerry” Mason, a man with a sordid criminal past who had killed two police officers in California several years prior, as the ringleader of Mary’s abduction, torture and murder. Some of his statements were discredited by the FBI, but nevertheless some of what he said seems to ring true. According to Stargel, each member of the abduction team (5 in total) was paid $5,000 (about $50,000 in today’s money) to kidnap Mary Shotwell Little. Stargel claimed Mason and company were hired by some big shot in Atlanta to do the deed and that Mason ended up blackmailing the big shot after Mary’s gruesome murder.

It’s interesting to note that Mason later set himself in business in Columbia, SC, not only becoming wealthy, but establishing himself as a respected member of the community. He came a long way from being a cop-killer, thief and rapist. Where did he get the money to establish himelf?

The more I read Stargel’s statement, the more I wonder if there isn’t something to it.

Especially when it comes to Jerry Mason’s involvement.

Hey we really don't know what happened so I'm open to considering other possibilities like Stargel's account.
It's possible someone hired these guys to abduct and murder Mary because she knew too much but they decided before doing the deed they would get some information out of her to later use for blackmail. They could use this information without implicating themselves in anything. It's possible.

Hey we really don't know what happened so I'm open to considering other possibilities like Stargel's account.
It's possible someone hired these guys to abduct and murder Mary because she knew too much but they decided before doing the deed they would get some information out of her to later use for blackmail. They could use this information without implicating themselves in anything. It's possible.

It is entirely possible.

The key thing we know for sure about this case is that while Mary’s Comet was being parked by someone at Lenox Square on Friday morning, someone else, described by a witness as an unshaven middle-aged male, had pulled into a gas station a few hours earlier with a woman, described as bruised and bloody, in Charlotte, NC, some 260 miles from Atlanta. It is irrefutable that this woman authorized the use of Mary Shotwell Little’s gasoline credit card. A similarity described bruised and bloody woman, accompanied by a similarly described unshaven middle aged man, or two unshaven middle-aged men by some accounts, would irrefutably authorize the use of that same card several hours later in Raleigh, NC, some four hundred and twenty miles away from Atlanta.

There had to be least two, or three, abductors involved in Mary’s kidnapping, thus a criminal conspiracy.

For me, this reality takes away any theory based on a single perpetrator.

Last edited:
The perps would have to know that there was enough money on Mary's card to cover the gas that was purchased, why would they not have, or be given the cash to pay for the gas themselves?
Did they try to make it appear as if Mary left of her own volition?

The perps would have to know that there was enough money on Mary's card to cover the gas that was purchased, why would they not have, or be given the cash to pay for the gas themselves?
Did they try to make it appear as if Mary left of her own volition?
At a gas station, they never really ran credit cards back then.
You handed the clerk your card, they made an imprint of it, and you signed it (you were supposed to write your license plate number, because of that I still remember the one I had back then), and you got a copy of the charge slip.
The charge slips were processed later.

I think they purposefully used her card. They wanted to draw attention away from Atlanta. They knew she wouldn't be reported missing right away, the card would not be noticed being used until later, and they didn't have to worry about having cash plus they left a trail.

Why would the perps drive the car back to the shopping center parking lot? Why not leave it abandoned somewhere between Charlotte and Atlanta... or maybe her car never left the lot?
My opinion is the car was returned to the area because someone who didn't have any other ride had to get back to the area.

For example, 2 or 3 people abduct her. 1 or 2 men continue north with her. One stays behind but he's got her car and his car/residence/work is near Lennox.

1664484306237.png

1664484228307.png
Sept 2022

''Disappeared​

October 14, 1965

Missing for​

56 years

Location​

Atlanta, Georgia

Age​

Age now​

Race​

White

Sex​

Female

Height​

5'6

Weight​

120 pounds''

Why would the perps drive the car back to the shopping center parking lot? Why not leave it abandoned somewhere between Charlotte and Atlanta... or maybe her car never left the lot?

Why indeed?

Eyewitness accounts, including a statement from a traffic officer, indicate that there were no other cars, save for an older model, blue Rambler, parked overnight at Lenox Square shopping center. According to contemporaneous reporting in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the officer observed the parking lot at 6 a.m. and stated that he saw no signs of Mary’s ‘65 Mercury Comet. In fact, it wasn’t discovered until over six hours later.

I suppose the eyewitnesses could all be wrong, but it’s impossible to assign that possibility anything other than a very low order of probabiliy.

Some investigators at the time thought the bloodstains, underwear, cut stocking, etc, discovered in the Comet had all been deliberately staged to make it seem that Mary had been sexually assaulted in her car. If her abductors went to that trouble, they would have also given some thought as to where to abandon her car. As well as when.

Mary’s abductors could have abandoned the Comet anywhere. Why was it so important for them to bring it back to Lenox Square on Friday morning?

An important question, but one with no clear answer at this point.

Perhaps they wanted LE to think that Mary was assaulted and abducted at Lenox Square at approximately 8 p.m. the previous evening. In fact, we don’t know where Mary was actually abducted. She could have been kidnapped anywhere between Lenox Square and her home. Perhaps her Comet was returned to Lenox Square because her abductors didn’t want police to look too hard at finding the actual location of her abduction, fearing that they might have discovered incriminating evidence (tire tracks, etc.)

Noting in case we one day figure out why the perps returned cars belonging to each of their victims..
Unrelated to this case, but there is an unsolved murder of a nurse in Ontario and one of the most baffling elements of that crime, is the perp's treatment of her car.
He moved the dead or dying woman (Sonia Varaschin) out of her house, dripping blood on her front staircase and into her car, which he then drove to ''dump'' the body.
The burning question besides who did this is - why did the perp, drive her visibly bloody car back to the center of town and leave it there.

Noting in case we one day figure out why the perps returned cars belonging to each of their victims..
Unrelated to this case, but there is an unsolved murder of a nurse in Ontario and one of the most baffling elements of that crime, is the perp's treatment of her car.
He moved the dead or dying woman (Sonia Varaschin) out of her house, dripping blood on her front staircase and into her car, which he then drove to ''dump'' the body.
The burning question besides who did this is - why did the perp, drive her visibly bloody car back to the center of town and leave it there.
Is there any chance that she went to pick up someone or drove to NC for some reason voluntarily and something happened when she got closer to her home and work? Driving around with blood on the car seems like a bad idea. I wonder if the blood was dry and under the dirt. I don’t know if dried or non dried blood inside or outside the car could help with timing her attack. If she wasn’t at the gas stations but her card was used it mean someone used the card while she was assaulted by one guy. Her car not being there and then showing up is weird along with blood.

September 14, 2022 by Jim Harris

''First, the latest news on the case. We have been authorized to share that law enforcement recently became involved in the case. There is potential new evidence and a possibility that new technology may also be able to gain additional information from some of the older evidence. As we can, we will share more specifics about the agencies involved and the new developments with evidence. We have been asked only to provide details as they are cleared by those working on the case.''​

''One thing we have heard from the law enforcement side is the value that sharing and spreading information about this case brings to the investigation. Cold cases are solved daily by people who just have a memory triggered or see something they thought could be inconsequential that turns out to be invaluable to the case. Those involved believe that getting the information out to the largest number of people possible may trigger tips or memories that could lead to the solution to this fifty-seven-year-old mystery.''​

''Both women worked at C&S bank, both received flowers from a mysterious sender days before and at one point lived with the same roommate.
Pate even has a suspect in mind.

"The DA would laugh in my face, there are no witnesses," Pate said.
The case is so old, he says, and everyone has died off from witnesses, to detectives, but he suspects her body is in Mount Holly, North Carolina, where through the years evidence has surfaced.
"I believe that her remains will be located up there sometime and I'll be vindicated and FBI will be vindicated," Pate said.
The GBI executed a search warrant in Forsyth County 20 years ago after getting a tip, but they didn't find anything.''

Is there any chance that she went to pick up someone or drove to NC for some reason voluntarily and something happened when she got closer to her home and work? Driving around with blood on the car seems like a bad idea. I wonder if the blood was dry and under the dirt. I don’t know if dried or non dried blood inside or outside the car could help with timing her attack. If she wasn’t at the gas stations but her card was used it mean someone used the card while she was assaulted by one guy. Her car not being there and then showing up is weird along with blood.

When Mary’s Comet was discovered at Lenox Square not long after 12 p.m. on Friday, October 15, there was blood smeared throughout its interior. According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from October 17, 1965, blood was found on the Comet’s front passenger seat and passenger side window. I also believe that a bloody fingerprint was later reported to have been found on the steering wheel. Grass stems were also reported to have been found stuck to the passenger seat with blood. No blood was reported to be found on the car’s exterior.

According to the above mentioned AJC article, “A brassiere was found in the front floorboard together with a silk-stocking. A bloodstained black-and-white slip and white panties were found stuffed down the front seats of the two-door car.” The bloodstained undergarments were later confirmed to have been worn by Mary and the blood type was determined to be the same as her’s - type O.

Because a meticulous mileage log was kept by her husband, likely for business purposes, it was determined by investigators that Mary’s Comet had 41 unexplained miles on its odometer when it was discovered, meaning that after the last sighting of Mary on the evening of October 15 at approximately 8 p.m., Mary’s car was driven somewhere within a radius of 20 miles from Lenox Square and then returned.

When a gas attendant in Charlotte claimed that a bruised and bloody woman, accompanied by an unshaven middle-aged man, authorized Mary’s credit card to purchase gasoline early on the morning of October 15, the pair were not traveling in Mary’s Comet.

i'd say no.
There were not enough extra miles on her car and the car "she" was seen in at the gas stations was a Buick, not her car,

While other explanations are possible, and cannot be ruled out, the one thing that is striking about the murder of Diane Shields in May 1967, and the disappearance of Mary Shotwell Little a year and a half earlier, is how much both cases reflect characteristics of similar unsolved murders/disappearances linked to organized crime. And when I say organized crime, I am not talking about low level, local criminals, though such may have been hired to do some of the dirty work in these cases, but rather powerful elements of the American underworld as the possible instigator, planner and executor of these crimes.

In the mid-1960's, the Mafia, or La Cosa Nostra, or the Syndicate, or the Mob, or whatever you wish to call it, was at its zenith. Its wealth and power were unparalleled. Unending millions flowed from gambling, as well as other rackets, into the American (and international) financial system, where countless bankers and lawyers labored tirelessly on behalf of their gangster clients to launder this illegal wealth into legitimate capital. In many places, law enforcement was either paid to look the other way or threatened. In some situations, police were actually accomplices to the gangsters. These powerful criminals, and their activities, reached into the highest levels of American commerical and political life. As we know, dark rumors still abound that the Mob had not only helped an American president gain office, but also subsequently organized a secret conspiracy to assassinate him.

Organizing the disappearance of one Atlana bank secretary, and the murder of her successor, would have been a relatively minor thing for the Mob to do. When it came to this sort of thing back in the 1960's, the Mob, or whatever you want to call it, was the best in the business. They were the pros.

Let us look at two contemporaneous examples.

On May 7, 1968, about a year after Diane Shields was discovered brutally murdered in the trunk of her car in East Point, GA, a badly decomposed body was found stuffed in the trunk of a dark blue Chevrolet Malibu, Michigan license DC8114, parked at Atlanta Municipal Airport (today’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport).

The dead man in the trunk had been shot in the head with a single bullet. The FBI used the victim’s fingerprints to make an identification: Robert Joseph Dunaway, aka Bobby Stardust, a Mafia enforcer from Detroit. Law enforcement surmised that Dunaway had been taken out on the orders of the notorious Giacalone brothers, powerful kingpins in the infamous Detroit based Tocco-Zerilli crime syndicate. A contract on Dunaway was likely issued by one of the Giacalone brothers after he accidentally beat a protected debtor to death several weeks prior in the Motor City in attempting to squeeze out an overdue loan payment.

But Detroit is over seven hundred miles from Atlanta. What was Dunaway’s body, and his car, doing so far from home? Why were they found in Atlanta? What was the connection to Atlanta? Was Dunaway there on Tocco-Zerilli family business? What was that business? Like so many Mob hits over the past century, no further evidence was ever discovered, or testimony ever offered by any witness, to answer these questions. Dunaway’s murder, and the question as to why he was found in Atlanta, remains unsolved to this day.

A few months later, on August 18, 1968, almost three years since the disappearance of Mary Shotwell Little, Judy Ruggirello, a 29-year-old married woman with two children, the daughter of a wealthy Detroit building contractor, simply vanished from her large house in suburban Southfield, Michigan while her husband was away. It was Sunday and her two children were staying with friends. Police later found her car, a red ‘67 Pontiac Bonneville convertible in Northwest Detroit. It had been left in the parking lot of a closed, fire gutted restaurant by the name of Darby’s. The Bonneville had been carefully wiped clean of all fingerprints. Inside, resting on the dashboard, was a keyring, but the keys for her car, house, mother’s house, and safety deposit box had all been carefully removed. Judy's black and white evening purse, containing $2.96, was left on the floor near the brake pedal. A down payment receipt on an apartment rental was also discovered in the purse. As the hood ornament was broken, police concluded that Ruggirello’s Bonneville had been towed to Darby’s parking lot and deliberately left there to be discovered. Her sister and mother said they feared Judy had been kidnapped and they made a public appeal for her safe return. Judy's family posted a $25,000 reward (about $250,000 in today's money).

At the time of her disappearance, Judy had been in a two-year long relationship with a sales representative by the name of Harvey Disner. Disner took a polygraph test and was cleared by Detroit police as a suspect, but the fact that Judy was frequently seen in the company of Disner at Darby’s as well as other nearby restaurants was noted. Some accounts claim that on the night prior to Judy’s disappearance, neighbors heard an argument between Judy and her husband. According to these accounts, Judy told her husband that she intended to move out of their house. A man later contacted the family for the $25,000 reward, claiming that he had documents and information that would answer what happened to Judy. However, he was killed by police in a botched exchange and no futher information was obtained. Judy's husband was present at the exchange. Given that Judy’s husband was none other than Tony Ruggirello, a business partner with the previously mentioned Giacalone brothers, and a major player in the Tocco-Zerilli crime family, discerning a possible motive behind Judy’s disappearance becomes simpler. But, as with some many disappearances linked to organized crime figures, law enforcement officials never solved the case of Judy Ruggirello. She simply vanished from her home in August 1968 and has never been seen or heard from again.

I point out these two cases not because there is any evidence linking them with the murder of Diane Shields or the disappearance of Mary Shotwell Little. There is nothing that links them to the infamous Atlanta cases.

Nothing, that is, EXCEPT their style.

Robert Dunaway is brutally murdered, almost certainly by a hitman contracted by the Mob, then stuffed into the trunk of his own car and simply left at the Atlanta airport – of all places - to be discovered. Judy Ruggirello disappears into thin air and her Bonneville is later found at a restaurant she is known to have frequented with a male acquaintance, the car having been deliberately moved to that spot by her abductors. Her personal items had been carefully arranged inside her car, or to use another term, they were staged. Why? Perhaps to send a message? But what message? And to whom?

We know for certain that Dunaway’s murder and Ruggirello’s disappearance were linked to organized crime. While we cannot say that for sure about either Diane Shields’ murder or Mary Shotwell Little’s disappearance, the general similarities are striking.

Again, there is nothing linking the Dunaway and Ruggirello cases to either Shields or Little. But given the Mob’s style and ability in arraging and executing never to be solved murders and disappearances, an ability perfected by the mid-1960's, makes one think that the possibility of the Mob somehow being involved in both the Shields and Little cases ought to be given serious odds.

While Atlanta is not usally regarded as a hotbed of Mob activity in the 1960's, make no mistake, organized crime elements in Las Vegas, Chicago, Detroit, and Miami were all casting shadows which reached into into the heart of Atlanta's respectable financial elite.

More on that in my next posting.

FS

Last edited:
Previously, I discussed some general similarities between the disappearance of Mary Shotwell Little and the murder of Diane Shields with two examples - a disappearance and a murder - linked to the Mob and perpetrated during the same era.

As already mentioned, there is nothing connecting these two Mob linked examples with the Little-Shields cases, but the parallels in style are striking (e.g. murder victim brutally killed and stuffed in the trunk of their own car, abduction victim’s car deliberately moved and her personal items staged inside the vehicle) And these are only two examples. There are literally hundreds of, if not more, unsolved murders and disappearances over many decades linked to the Mob. Had Mary's abduction and Diane's murder taken place in Chicago rather than Atlanta, I suspect people would have immediately focused on the possibility of Mob involvement rather than automatically assuming that it had to be a lone wolf killer.

But is it plausible that the Mob could somehow have been connected to Mary’s disappearance and Diane’s murder? As we know, both Mary and Diane were both employed as secretaries to the head of the personnel department at the Citizens & Southern Bank. C&S Bank, at the time one of the largest banks in the Southeast, was a respected institution and a lynchpin of Atlanta’s financial community. Who could Little and Shields have possibly associated with, or what could they have possibly learned, that would have put their lives in jeopardy with the Mob? This was Atlanta, Georgia after all, not Chicago. Or Detroit. Or Miami. Atlanta didn't appear to have any permanent presence or infiltration by the Mob back then. Wouldn’t working in the heart of Atlanta’s largest and most respected financial institution circa 1965 and 1966 be as far removed from the dark shadows of American organized crime as one could imagine?

Not far removed at all, in fact.

Mary and Diane's world at the Bank may have included some people, major players in Atlanta's burgeoning real estate development business and closely associated with C&S Bank's top leadership, who were connected through various dealings to the Mob.

Let's look at the example of Elliot L. Haas, one of the partners in Haas & Dodd, a large, successful insurance and real estate conglomerate which had been in business since 1891 and was one of Atlanta’s premier financial institutions.

In the 1960's, Elliot L. Haas would have been regarded as a pillar of both Atlanta’s financial elite and high society. Back then, during a period when Atlanta was growing by leaps and bounds, it's hard to imagine that Haas & Dodd wouldn’t have done significant business with another major financial player in Atlanta, the C&S Bank. In fact, during these years, one of Elliot L. Haas’ partners in Haas & Dodd, a man by the name of Fair Dodd, served as a member of the advisory board for C&S Bank alongside Mills B. Lane, Jr., the Bank's president. Besides working with Elliot's business partner on the C&S advisory board, Lane would have been personally acquainted with Haas as both men served in the mid-1960's as trustees, along with several other members of Atlanta’ corporate elite, for the Atlanta Arts Alliance, a group charged with raising several million dollars to construct the Atlanta Art Center. In fact, Elliot L. Haas was appointed in 1964 as chairman for the Alliance’s fund-raising campaign. Elliot L. Haas and Mills B. Lane Jr., along with numerous other high ranking members of Atlanta's buisness fraternity, would have had both direct and indirect business and community associations with one another.

But beneath the genteel respectability and appearence of noblesse oblige, there was another side to Elliot L. Haas; a businessman apparantly willing to take large, quick profits on sketchy insurance deals with people of questionable background.

In 1962, the FBI probed a business association, specifically an insurance kickback scheme, between Elliot L. Haas and a Chicago businessman by the name of Allen Dorfman.

According to an FBI report from late 1962, Elliot L. Haas admitted to Bureau agents that Haas & Dodd wrote insurance policies on large, multi-million dollar hotel developments in both Atlanta and Dallas. He also admitted that Haas & Dodd made an investment in the form of a construction loan for one of the hotels and, in exchange, was given the opportunity to write high value life insurance policies on the partners in both hotel developments: Jay J. Sarno and Stanley A. Mallin.

Mallin confirmed to the FBI what Haas had admitted. Mallin told the Bureau's agents that Allen Dorfman had obtained the insurance for the hotels in Atlanta and Dallas, as well as the life insurance policies, through Elliot L. Haas at Haas & Dodd. Mallin also confirmed that Haas & Dodd made an investment in one of the hotels and in return was given the opportunity to write large insurance policies on himself and his partner Sarno.

According to insurance company records reviewed by the FBI, Elliot L. Haas, on behalf of Haas & Dodd, in turn placed these life insurance policies with a Chicago based agency, Cambridge Insurance Agency, General Agents for Republic National Life of Dallas Texas. According to information obtained from Republic, Cambridge earned the overwrite on the Mallin-Sarno life insurance policies and Elliot L. Haas split the commission with Cambridge, apparently having entered into a “kickback” scheme with Allen Dorfman, the man who owned Cambridge Insurance Agency.

And who was Allen Dorfman?

Dorfman was a Chicago insurance executive who owned and controlled numerous companies, including Cambridge Insurance Agency, but is much better known in the annals of American organized crime as Jimmy Hoffa’s point man on the Teamsters’ Central States, Southeast and Southwest Areas Pension Fund. Dorfman, who was part of the Chicago Outfit, was responsible for approving and overseeing hundreds of millions in Teamsters’ loans across the United States, including vast sums lent to construct mob-controlled casinos in Las Vegas from the late ‘50’s into the ‘70’s. In January 1983, Dorfman, who was facing federal charges related to a political bribery scheme in Nevada, was gunned down in what appeared to be a professional hit as he was crossing the parking lot of a Hyatt hotel in a Chicago suburb though, as is usually the case with Mob assassinations, Dorfman's killer was never identified or brought to justice.

Allen Dorfman, who was a multi-millionaire at the time, was one of the Mob's key money men in the 1960's. He was at the pinnacle of American organized crime. His character is depicted in movies such as Casino and The Irishman.

As to the real estate developments in Atlanta and Dallas mentioned above, it was Jimmy Hoffa, and probably Allen Dorfman, who made the decision to have Teamsters’ Central States to fund their construction with millions in loans to Sarno and Mallin. The Atlanta Cabana, a sprawling 200-room luxury hotel rising over Peachtree and 7th streets in Midtown, was the largest hotel built in Atlanta for over three decades. Sarno and Mallin subsequently went on to build the Dallas Cabana as well as another similar hotel in California.

Haas & Dodd, Atlanta’s venerated insurance and real estate firm, was effectively a partner with none other than Teamsters’ Central States in the construction of the Cabana hotels in both Atlanta and Dallas, having obtained a piece of the action in the form of making construction loans to Sarno and Mallin. By arranging a kickback scheme with Allen Dorfman, Elliot L. Haas ensured that Haas & Dodd received the insurance business for these Teamsters linked projects, as well as the opportunity to write lucrative life insurance policies on the two partners in the development, Sarno and Mallin. As part of the kickback arrangement, Elliot L. Haas ultimately placed the life insurance on Sarno and Mallin with Dorfman’s company, Cambridge Insurance Agencies.

Was this the kind of information that caused an Atlanta bank secretary to vanish into thin air? Or caused her succesor to be brutally murdered? As far as we know, there is no evidence that links Elliot L. Haas’ kickback scheme with Allen Dorfman to either Mary Shotwell Little’s disappearance or Diane Shields’ murder.

But, at the very least, the FBI probe into Elliot L. Haas' dealings with Allen Dorfman shows that the highest, most respected levels of Atlanta’s financial community in the 1960’s were not immune from the power and corruption of the Mob. Mary and Diane may not have realized it until it was too late, but Atlanta was not Mayberry and the Mob was not far removed from their world at C&S Bank

The local newspapers may not have printed much about it, but dark shadows from Chicago (Dorfman) and Detroit (Hoffa) were very much in evidence in the financial heart of Atlanta at the time Mary vanished and Diane was murdered.

And there were dark shadows from Las Vegas as well, which I will discuss next.

FS

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500