GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

No we don't know for certain and perhaps she was not, however I do believe there was a sexual sadistic motive in either murdering Shirley and or sexually assaulting her too. It's similar to the Katie Janis murder at Piedmont Park in 2021. By the way, if it's who I think it is, the police have a lot of explaining to do, because they have been letting this guy get away with murder for years.

I don't remember reading that KJ was sexually assaulted. And, there's no reports that Shirley Dermond was physically mutilated. I'm not seeing a real connection between all three... except they were murdered. jmo

I guess you've shared your suspect with law enforcement?

And I just heard about this murder for the first time the other day, because of the 10-year anniversary and articles in the media. If I had known about it earlier, I would have called in tips earlier. It was not very well publicized, I don't think.
Were you otherwise occupied 10 years ago? (New baby, serious illness, issues with job or parents, etc.?) This story made worldwide headlines.

Do you potentially have information about the case? Even if you do, and think it's irrelevant or authorities already have it, it wouldn't hurt to pass it on.

I don't remember reading that KJ was sexually assaulted. And, there's no reports that Shirley Dermond was physically mutilated. I'm not seeing a real connection between all three... except they were murdered. jmo

You're right that reports on KJ do not indicate SA but she was sliced something terrible. Never read an AR for Shirley but she was knocked over the head with blunt force with her ankles tied to red cinder blocks in an effort to make her body stay below the surface.

I found two odd connections between Russell and Atlanta. This could place a POI as a possible employee at Hardees some ten years later. His son's death is likely not connected to the parents' death but he died in Atlanta in 2000. IDK.

After working in the fast food industry, including owning several Hardee's locations in Atlanta, Russell retired in 1994. The Dermonds went on to move into Great Waters Reynolds at Lake Oconee, a gated community located about twelve miles northeast of Eatonton.[1][3] In 2000, their oldest son Mark was murdered in Atlanta while attempting to purchase crack cocaine. Investigators believe that there is no connection between this crime and the murder of Mark's parents.[2]

I would be stunned had she been sexually assaulted. Nothing was ever said to indicate this AFAIK. I mean, Mr D had his head removed and it's never been found and that's bad enough but...for whatever reason, I can't fathom that the perp(s) sexually assaulted her. Can't explain why, and it may sound naive, but that would really cross a line for me.
They are basing the idea that she was not sexually assaulted, because she was found clothed. But a devious perp can put the clothes back on her. Sorry, if a guy's head is cut off, it's not that much of a stretch to consider that the wife was sexually assaulted.

Well the husband was physically mutilated. My point is that the perp does not necessarily have to have actual sex with the victim. He can get off sexually just by committing the violence. And I believe the violence committed on Katie Janice was part of sexual sadism. Don't forget there's a lot of time in between those two murders, the perp might have upped the ante and wanted more excitement with the KJ murder. Delving deeper into mutilation. So the details might differ, but the overall theme of sadism was the same. I don't think these kinds of sexually sadistic murders are all that common. So there could be a link.

And yes I have shared my information with law enforcement but they don't care because for some reason, they love that guy.

Were you otherwise occupied 10 years ago? (New baby, serious illness, issues with job or parents, etc.?) This story made worldwide headlines.

Do you potentially have information about the case? Even if you do, and think it's irrelevant or authorities already have it, it wouldn't hurt to pass it on.
Well it's interesting because I have searched murders in Georgia over the last 10 years on the internet, not all the time but you know occasionally, and I never saw this one mentioned until the other day. So I don't know how I missed it. And yes I have shared my information with LE , with this case just recently, and for a long time, about a certain individual, but they think he's like apparently some kind of superhero or saint and would never consider him. I suspect he has past drug informant work with police, maybe in Atlanta. Maybe he knew the murdered son, I don't know. Just speculating with that one. But I do believe he travels around the state a lot and he came across that couple randomly.

Tara Baker of Athens, GA
The younger brother was able to express his views < > including the fact that the murder occurred on the eve of her birthday.

“It’s not coincidental,” < > “I don’t think it was a simple home burglary either.” < >

“I hope that whoever he or she is, they are listening,” he said. “After 20 years, I hope this has brought it back to the forefront of their mind and perhaps the minds of people who know something related to those involved.”

Unsolved Homicide: Tara Louise Baker
On January 19, 2001, around 11:20 a.m., the body of Tara Louise Baker was found by Athens-Clarke County firefighters responding to a fire at her apartment located at 160 Fawn Drive, Athens. Subsequent investigation has determined that the fire was intentionally set and the manner of death is homicide. Tara was a first-year law school student at the University of Georgia (UGA)

Websleuths link
Yes well the links on all three are extremely devious and bold sexual sadistic murders, with steps taken to leave no forensic evidence, in the Georgia area.

I have heard that Sills now has some potential leads as a result of the latest DNA testing. I believe it to be a result of genealogical research. Sills has a reputation for bulldog-like determination; he has been in office for sometime now and has never let a big case get away. This case has always fascinated me; the victims were two elderly people enjoying their retirement when they were murdered in a well-executed but gruesome way. Who stood to gain from the execution of two people quietly living their lives in a safe upscale community? I have always been a believer in crimes of this nature to follow the money.

I have heard that Sills now has some potential leads as a result of the latest DNA testing. I believe it to be a result of genealogical research. Sills has a reputation for bulldog-like determination; he has been in office for sometime now and has never let a big case get away. This case has always fascinated me; the victims were two elderly people enjoying their retirement when they were murdered in a well-executed but gruesome way. Who stood to gain from the execution of two people quietly living their lives in a safe upscale community? I have always been a believer in crimes of this nature to follow the money.

Right there with you on following the money.

Tara Baker of Athens, GA
The younger brother was able to express his views < > including the fact that the murder occurred on the eve of her birthday.

“It’s not coincidental,” < > “I don’t think it was a simple home burglary either.” < >

“I hope that whoever he or she is, they are listening,” he said. “After 20 years, I hope this has brought it back to the forefront of their mind and perhaps the minds of people who know something related to those involved.”

Unsolved Homicide: Tara Louise Baker
On January 19, 2001, around 11:20 a.m., the body of Tara Louise Baker was found by Athens-Clarke County firefighters responding to a fire at her apartment located at 160 Fawn Drive, Athens. Subsequent investigation has determined that the fire was intentionally set and the manner of death is homicide. Tara was a first-year law school student at the University of Georgia (UGA)

Websleuths link

@DeDee and @concernedcitizen706, I don't know if y'all saw this, but they just made an arrest in the Tara Baker case!

Personally, I don't believe the two cases are connected, but given that they have DNA in both, they would find that out soon.

What do you mean by "that guy"? The person you think did it?
Well I don't know if he did it, but due to things I have seen in my life, I believe he's a very dangerous guy who has the potential to do those kinds of crimes. But even though I have some evidence against him, for example pictures that are not too clear, from security camera videos, anything I show them is laughed off. They have told me about him, 'not this guy.' I'm not sure why they say that about him, because I don't even know what they know about him, to make them think he's so great. He's just a regular guy in town. And also because he has an arrest a while ago, a few years before the Dermond murder, for a bizarre criminal trespassing conviction on an older lady in her house in the middle of the night. Yet even that is not enough to convince them to look into him. So it's kind of odd.

Last edited:
I believe the person who did this crime is a serial killer with extremely unusual and violent methods. I also believe he did the Tara Baker crime in Athens and the Katie Janice crime in Atlanta.
Respectfully snipped...

Have you seen that there has been an arrest in the Tara Baker crime? It was within the last week.

@DeDee and @concernedcitizen706, I don't know if y'all saw this, but they just made an arrest in the Tara Baker case!

Personally, I don't believe the two cases are connected, but given that they have DNA in both, they would find that out soon.
Yes I saw that arrest. I'm still a little confused about what happened there in the Tara Baker case. For years they printed in newspapers they were looking for a white suspect seen running from the house in the morning. Average weight average height white guy with brown hair with a white T-shirt and jeans. And the guy they arrested does not look like a white guy. I spoke to a crime blogger a few years ago, who had more inside knowledge of the case, he said there was both a black and a white suspect seen at the house. I didn't believe him before, because they always talked about only a white suspect. But I guess he was right about the black suspect. So what happened to the white suspect? Are they going to arrest anybody else in this murder? Like that white guy they kept telling us about for over 20 years?

Yes I saw that arrest. I'm still a little confused about what happened there in the Tara Baker case. For years they printed in newspapers they were looking for a white suspect seen running from the house in the morning. Average weight average height white guy with brown hair with a white T-shirt and jeans. And the guy they arrested does not look like a white guy. I spoke to a crime blogger a few years ago, who had more inside knowledge of the case, he said there was both a black and a white suspect seen at the house. I didn't believe him before, because they always talked about only a white suspect. But I guess he was right about the black suspect. So what happened to the white suspect? Are they going to arrest anybody else in this murder? Like that white guy they kept telling us about for over 20 years
Respectfully snipped...

Have you seen that there has been an arrest in the Tara Baker crime? It was within the last week.
Yes I saw that but read what I wrote in my comment that I just posted

Yes I saw that arrest. I'm still a little confused about what happened there in the Tara Baker case. For years they printed in newspapers they were looking for a white suspect seen running from the house in the morning. Average weight average height white guy with brown hair with a white T-shirt and jeans. And the guy they arrested does not look like a white guy. I spoke to a crime blogger a few years ago, who had more inside knowledge of the case, he said there was both a black and a white suspect seen at the house. I didn't believe him before, because they always talked about only a white suspect. But I guess he was right about the black suspect. So what happened to the white suspect? Are they going to arrest anybody else in this murder? Like that white guy they kept telling us about for over 20 years

Yes I saw that but read what I wrote in my comment that I just posted
I was wondering if it had been shared here before.

Eye witness testimony is notoriously inaccurate, the mind is so powerful people can convenience themselves of whole false memories that never even happened so I personally give little weight to eye witnesses. The fact DNA was used makes me confident they have the right guy. I took a look at his arrest record and it's very lengthy, involving a ban from the uga campus, indecent exposure, trespassing, agg assaults with knives and the big kicker... His address at the time was just a 3 minute walk away from Tara's home.

I hope more information comes out about who could've done this awful crime to this lovely couple.

I was wondering if it had been shared here before.

Eye witness testimony is notoriously inaccurate, the mind is so powerful people can convenience themselves of whole false memories that never even happened so I personally give little weight to eye witnesses. The fact DNA was used makes me confident they have the right guy. I took a look at his arrest record and it's very lengthy, involving a ban from the uga campus, indecent exposure, trespassing, agg assaults with knives and the big kicker... His address at the time was just a 3 minute walk away from Tara's home.

I hope more information comes out about who could've done this awful crime to this lovely couple.
Well true, eyewitness testimony is not always accurate. However this crime blogger guy knew like 5 years ago that there were two suspects seen at the crime, one white and one black. So they must have learned about a black suspect before that and maybe some time ago. I did not believe him back then about there being a black suspect too, because they only spoke about one white suspect. But apparently he was correct that there was a black suspect. So okay that leaves another suspect. Black or white, it sounds like they were two suspects. What happened to the other one? And why didn't they inform the public at any point, that maybe there was a black suspect too? It would have the helped the public with tips.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back