GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be scared too. I'm guessing the "kids" are in their 50-60's with children or possibly grandchildren of their own and this lunatic is still out there. We don't know his motive so we don't know if he will strike again.

My initial thoughts were that the D's children and families were/are scared, whether they know something or just afraid of the unknown

must be guilty of something if he hasn't come forward yet

Who out there could turn him in? Or did he act alone?

Dancinunderthemoon, as I mentioned in a previous comment, 'if the witness could identify the person in the Dermond's yard as a man, I would think that they saw much more'.. In hindsight, once the witness learned of the Dermonds murder and had time to digest what they actually saw. Imo, they likely thought the person was acting a little suspicious at the time, but ignored their instincts/sixth sense.. Imo, this person was likely a lookout...

Dancinunderthemoon, as I mentioned in a previous comment, 'if the witness could identify the person in the Dermond's yard as a man, I would think that they saw much more'.. In hindsight, once the witness learned of the Dermonds murder and had time to digest what they actually saw. Imo, they likely thought the person was acting little suspicious at the time, but ignored their instincts/sixth sense.. Imo, this person was likely a lookout...

So the perps may have still been inside, sure wish WE had a description of this guy, wonder why the secrecy by SS.

Since it's been known for some time, via media that he was spotted in the yard, does this perp/lawn guy, think that there is no other information/description of him since it is not being relayed to the public? Does this make him relax or feel powerful, let his guard down? What does that help, no one is looking for him anyway

What does that do to help the case though really? Is there a description, almost makes sense SS his withholding because there isn't more but doesnt' want the perp to know, so how does that help, he lets his guard down but no one even has a description anway

Does SS think that the perp will leave the area (if he's even in the area) if too much is known about him?

Who is to identify or tip the police if only SS and few deputies are the ones searching for him?

relaying more to the public vs withholding information from the public

pros and cons either way, I'd want more people looking out, this guy could be out of or in state, need more eyes, DEFINITELY

SS defends himself when asked if this case might go unsolved by saying there are thousands of unsolved murders
SS Says he will do what it takes and feels confident it will be solved eventually
SS says is withholding information from the public (he states that is all he will say about that -in regards to man on the lawn being seen by a witness)
SS refused to us all resources

The more I think about it the more I dont' understand the secrecy

So do we even know the time of day of this guy on the lawn, if it was morning, noon, late evening

Was he watching for the boat to come and get SD? I think it was lakeside he was seen right?

But In broad daylight they may have hauled her away?? I dont think the guy was left behind to wait for a ride, There are no police patrolling the lake so that wasn't what he was watching for.

maybe boaters coming in to the cove and up to visit the D's?

Glad I wasn't the witness, hope they are safe

"Because the majority of publicized serial killers are white, and based on erroneous eyewitness accounts, police originally believed the killer to be white."

I lived in the area at that time. Never have I seen so much fear and chaos. I think it really threw everyone off that Lee was not the stereotypical serial killer.

Bet it really caught everyone by surprise when the other unknown active Baton Rouge, LA, serial killer; Sean Vincent Gillis, was discovered in the DTL investigation, Canaille..

A good informational article on Serial Killers;

FBI Serial Murder
Behavioral Analysis Unit-2
National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime
Critical Incident Response Group
Federal Bureau of Investigation
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

<snipped & BBM for focus>
Myth: Serial killers are all dysfunctional loners.
The majority of serial killers are not reclusive, social misfits who live alone. They are not monsters and may not appear strange. Many serial killers hide in plain sight within their communities. Serial murderers often have families and homes, are gainfully employed, and appear to be normal members of the community. Because many serial murderers can blend in so effortlessly, they are oftentimes overlooked by law enforcement and the public.

Myth: Serial killers are all white males.
Contrary to popular belief, serial killers span all racial groups
. There are white, African-American, Hispanic, and Asian serial killers. The racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population.

Myth: Serial killers are only motivated by sex.
All serial murders are not sexually-based. There are many other motivations for serial murders including anger, thrill, financial gain, and attention seeking.

Myth: All serial murderers travel and operate interstate.
Most serial killers have very defined geographic areas of operation. They conduct their killings within comfort zones that are often defined by an anchor point (e.g. place of residence, employment, or residence of a relative). Serial murderers will, at times, spiral their activities outside of their comfort zone, when their confidence has grown through experience or to avoid detection. Very few serial murderers travel interstate to kill.

The few serial killers who do travel interstate to kill fall into a few categories:

&#8226; Itinerant individuals who move from place to place.
&#8226; Homeless individuals who are transients.
&#8226; Individuals whose employment lends itself to interstate or transnational travel, such as truck drivers or those in military service.

The difference between these types of offenders and other serial murderers is the nature of their traveling lifestyle, which provides them with many zones of comfort in which to operate.

Myth: Serial killers cannot stop killing.
It has been widely believed that once serial killers start killing, they cannot stop. There are, however, some serial killers who stop murdering altogether before being caught. In these instances, there are events or circumstances in offenders&#8217; lives that inhibit them from pursuing more victims. These can include increased participation in family activities, sexual substitution, and other diversions.

Also, I see we are still circling, now back to the TM case

Interesting info on TM case Bootsctr posted

The D's didnt' attend the sons murder trial did they? Or do we know? However, I guess that doesnt' mean they weren't later standing in TM way of release

<respectfully snipped for focus>

Yep, still circling. And since we HAVE circled back around to look once more at possible connections to the earlier murder of Mark Dermond ...which, earlier in the case, I was strongly leaning toward believing existed ... it seemed like a good time to see whatever became of that out-of-place mugshot that showed up the first time I searched the son, MD, on the Georgia Department of Corrections offender search page. Remember... while it listed MD's info, the photo was NOT of the white, brown-haired, blue-eyed male described, but of a black male. And guess what...it STILL is.

I've said before -- could just be a glitch, for sure. But it kind of surprises me, with all the publicity this case has received -- and indeed, the public comment that mugshot has received, because I know it has received SOME, I asked about it in a media-sponsored chat, as I recall, can't recall the outlet though -- that the "wrong" photo has not been removed. You know, they wouldn't have to stick a REAL photo of MD on there. They could just remove THAT picture. Why hasn't someone done that, I wonder.

And I always wonder, too -- who IS that guy? From appearances, the photo IS a mugshot, so he must have been incarcerated somewhere, at some time. Is he still? Is he even still alive? Does he know his picture comes up under MD's profile?

If you care to see for yourself, go here:

http://167.192.44.227/GDC/OffenderQuery/jsp/OffQryForm.jsp

When you advance to the search page, you don't even have to type in the full name for Mark Dermond -- just do Dermond for the last name, as he is the only one in the database apparently. Choose "show active and inactive offenders" and "with pictures".

SS speaks of interviewing a former employee one more time. Maybe the witness to the man on the lawn saw more than has been reported. I'm so glad that SS considers someone a "suspect" and can move forward.

Yep, still circling. And since we HAVE circled back around to look once more at possible connections to the earlier murder of Mark Dermond ...which, earlier in the case, I was strongly leaning toward believing existed ... it seemed like a good time to see whatever became of that out-of-place mugshot that showed up the first time I searched the son, MD, on the Georgia Department of Corrections offender search page. Remember... while it listed MD's info, the photo was NOT of the white, brown-haired, blue-eyed male described, but of a black male. And guess what...it STILL is.

I've said before -- could just be a glitch, for sure. But it kind of surprises me, with all the publicity this case has received -- and indeed, the public comment that mugshot has received, because I know it has received SOME, I asked about it in a media-sponsored chat, as I recall, can't recall the outlet though -- that the "wrong" photo has not been removed. You know, they wouldn't have to stick a REAL photo of MD on there. They could just remove THAT picture. Why hasn't someone done that, I wonder.

And I always wonder, too -- who IS that guy? From appearances, the photo IS a mugshot, so he must have been incarcerated somewhere, at some time. Is he still? Is he even still alive? Does he know his picture comes up under MD's profile?

When you advance to the search page, you don't even have to type in the full name for Mark Dermond -- just do Dermond for the last name, as he is the only one in the database apparently. Choose "show active and inactive offenders" and "with pictures".

:jawdrop: Did you see the alias listed? This is strange. Bizarre. Hmmmm...

What is everyone's take on why Putnam County Sheriff Sills, has not requested the assistance of the very experienced and well trained elite special investigative agents of the Georgia Bureau of Investigations? TYIA

I think SS holds a grudge. I don't think he does second chances. I also think he doesn't trust the GBI! He has his reasons, but at some point the Dermond family might personally request the GBI to become involved.

Dang. I remember the first time I saw a photo of MD and it was a black male, but it wasn't this photo.

I think SS holds a grudge. I don't think he does second chances. I also think he doesn't trust the GBI! He has his reasons, but at some point the Dermond family might personally request the GBI to become involved.

Would the GBI become involved based on family's request? I thought the request would have to come from local authority (Sheriff Sills). I may be wrong but I seem to recall the GBI being involved in the beginning. Their lab perhaps?

I haven't checked ancestry but... I'm of the opinion that the one w/the mugshot was born August 1. While the son of the Dermonds' was born August 30.

Would the GBI become involved based on family's request? I thought the request would have to come from local authority (Sheriff Sills). I may be wrong but I seem to recall the GBI being involved in the beginning. Their lab perhaps?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/source-investigators-find-body-putnam-county/nfyK5/
May 16, 2014 - Investigators: Shirley Dermond died of blunt force trauma
<snipped & BBM>

Other than using the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab, Sills has declined to call in GBI investigators.

Elliot spoke on the phone with the Dermonds' son Keith in Jacksonville. He didn't want to be recorded but did tell Elliot that bringing in more investigators would be a good idea.

&#8220;The more people we have looking at things, who knows? The more resources, the more people, it would be better off. I don't know why the GBI wouldn't be involved," Keith Dermond said.
You must contact your local law enforcement agency or district attorney to request an investigation. Under Georgia law, the GBI, as an assisting agency, can ONLY respond to requests for investigations from:

Governing officials of a municipality
District Attorneys
Sheriffs
Superior Court Judges
Chief law enforcement officers of any municipality
Chiefs of county police departments (in counties with population in excess of 100,000)
Chiefs of regular or volunteer fire departments (in suspected arson cases)
Governor of Georgia (by directive)

For a complete history of the GBI, please visit
http://gbi.georgia.gov/gbi-history

Way back when SS asked the GBI for help with the Newabians or whatever they called themselves, the GBI refused to help because of the possible political consequences. He may have decided then and there that it would be a cold day... when he asked them for anything again.

Way back when SS asked the GBI for help with the Newabians or whatever they called themselves, the GBI refused to help because of the possible political consequences. He may have decided then and there that it would be a cold day... when he asked them for anything again.

DAMIFINO, the GBI didn't refuse to help Sheriff Sills. In the Dwight York-NC investigation by Sills, there were parallel investigations in progress.
One was over land use and zoning violations, which was highly publicized. Due to an NC member whistleblower's tip, a 2nd investigation of racketeering and child molestation by DMZ York was privately being conducted. As in the Dermond murder investigation, the FBI assisted Sheriff Sills. GA Governor Roy Barnes refused to allow the GBI to assist in the investigation of the Nuwaubians/Dwight MZ York, for political reasons.
As was Reynolds Plantation/Great Waters, Tama-RE; the NC compound was a prior hunting and fishing club. Sheriff Sills caught two GBI Agents fishing in a lake on the NC compound. Sills thought that the GBI may have been infiltrated by the Nuwaubians, or that the agents may leak info of the child molestation investigation..

Paraphrased from the book UnGodly by Bill Osinski; AJC Journalist: A True Story of Unprecedented Evil
http://www.amazon.com/UnGodly-True-Story-Unprecedented-Evil/dp/1934144134

DAMIFINO, the GBI didn't refuse to help Sheriff Sills. In the Dwight York-NC investigation by Sills, there were parallel investigations in progress.
One was over land use and zoning violations, which was highly publicized. Due to an NC member whistleblower's tip, a 2nd investigation of racketeering and child molestation by DMZ York was privately being conducted. As in the Dermond murder investigation, the FBI assisted Sheriff Sills. GA Governor Roy Barnes refused to allow the GBI to assist in the investigation of the Nuwaubians/Dwight MZ York, for political reasons.
As was Reynolds Plantation/Great Waters, Tama-RE; the NC compound was a prior hunting and fishing club. Sheriff Sills caught two GBI Agents fishing in a lake on the NC compound. Sills thought that the GBI may have been infiltrated by the Nuwaubians, or that the agents may leak info of the child molestation investigation..

Paraphrased from the book UnGodly by Bill Osinski; AJC Journalist: A True Story of Unprecedented Evil
http://www.amazon.com/UnGodly-True-Story-Unprecedented-Evil/dp/1934144134

And so it goes....

If that is the case I'd like to say: it's here! It is officially a cold day....!

As I was typing, I was remembering that I read that very thing. Interesting, becuase they have the wrong mugshot, intersting they haven't changed it! With TM's persistance for release, you gotta wonder!

Sorry, we couldn't find any offender records
that matched your specifications.
You have searched for offenders that have the following:

CURRENT STATUS = ACTIVE
LAST NAME = dermond(*)

The fact that he's not, well, I wouldn't want that cloud hanging over my head, this is a tuff case, all eyes and ears required, public included

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member