GA - Starving boy, 10, 36 lbs, runs to neighbor and begs for food, Tyler and Krista Schindley arrested, Griffin, 2023

cocomod

Reaction score

Georgia parents face charges for allegedly starving, neglecting 10-year-old son​

The parents, Tyler and Krista Schindley, are accused of attempting malice murder - the most serious murder charge in Georgia - and other charges in warrants that allege they "intentionally withheld food (starvation)" from the child.

At a press conference, officials said the child was found walking on his own by neighbors, who asked if he was OK. He stated he was going to the store to get some food because he was hungry, according to the officials, and when officers responded he asked to "please not make him go back."

GRAPHIC: Parents arrested after 10-year-old weighing 36 pounds found walking to grocery store, police say​

Because of his condition, he was rushed to a nearby hospital. Investigators say the boy had an extremely low heart rate at the time of his evaluation.

“This child was, simply put, being starved to death, and it is tragic,” Spalding County District Attorney Marie Broder said.

Police said he weighed just 36 pounds.

According to the CDC, the average 4-year-old boy weighs around 40 pounds.
Parents arrested after 10-year-old who weighed just 36 pounds found wandering in Griffin

Officials added that there were other children in the home, and they have since been placed in the custody of the state Department of Family and Children’s Services.
Georgia parents arrested after starving 10-year-old son runs away to beg for food: cops

The couple’s other five children—who were homeschooled—were taken by child welfare authorities. At a Tuesday press conference, police said they had not been able to interview them yet.
[snip]
Tyler Schindley’s Facebook page listed him as managing an Under Armour store but recent posts promoted a local spa that appears to be owned by his wife.
Georgia Couple Charged With Trying to Starve Son to Death

From the article on the initial post:

There are other children in the home, officials said, who are being interviewed. But there were no other charges at this time related to any treatment of the other children.

So, he was the only one receiving this abusive treatment? I wonder why, or what the parents' "reasoning" was for singling him out?

Either this boy was scapegoated for some reason or the other children were also victims of abuse but not to the degree or in as dire a shape as he was. Sounds as if they are still working on interviewing the siblings so additional charges could still be forthcoming depending on what is learned from those children.

These people - I will never understand. Sometimes I think extreme neglect is in some ways worse than physical abuse. Physical abuse could be "blamed" on a hair trigger temper. Physical abuse happens sporadically and there are breaks in between instances. But to engage in starving someone over days, weeks, months, to deprive them regularly of things as basic as human interaction, light. It's diabolical. It's torture.

I'll say it. This pictures of them and their home do not look like the pictures I expected to see after reading this awful and tragic and disgusting and infuriating article. A reminder that abuse comes in all forms.

ETA: My heart breaks for all the emotional neglect this child experienced. Hugs and compassion and enthusiasm and encouragement he can never get back now.

The boy was being treated for malnutrition and a very low heart rate at a hospital, Griffin Police Department Investigator Jodi Spears said. When officers found the child on Friday, he was “very thin” with discolored skin. Neighbors who first saw the boy walking down Westminster Circle took him in and called the police.

“At the time he was taken to the hospital, he only weighed 36 pounds,” Spears said.

The Schindleys are also accused of causing their son “dental injury and disfiguration” and withholding medical attention.

Additionally, the warrants allege the boy’s parents “locked the juvenile child inside his bedroom, leaving the child alone in the residence, for extended periods and on multiple occasions, with no access to lights, food, clothing or adult interaction and/or assistance.”

And inside his torture cell-like bedroom, the Schindleys’ warrants allege, the boy lacked access to “hot or warm running water, [an] outside view, toilet paper, electronic communication, human interaction, adult supervision or access to [an] exit.”

Police said he weighed just 36 pounds.

According to the CDC, the average 4-year-old boy weighs around 40 pounds.
Parents arrested after 10-year-old who weighed just 36 pounds found wandering in Griffin

Officials added that there were other children in the home, and they have since been placed in the custody of the state Department of Family and Children’s Services.
Georgia parents arrested after starving 10-year-old son runs away to beg for food: cops

The couple’s other five children—who were homeschooled—were taken by child welfare authorities. At a Tuesday press conference, police said they had not been able to interview them yet.
[snip]
Tyler Schindley’s Facebook page listed him as managing an Under Armour store but recent posts promoted a local spa that appears to be owned by his wife.
Georgia Couple Charged With Trying to Starve Son to Death
The spa company has since distanced themselves from the couple immediately upon learning of this! Thank goodness! The attached article has some pictures of the couple.

EW [name redacted to initials by me], the eldest of Tyler and Krista Schindley's children - though he does not go by the last name Schindley - was at the Schindley residence on Tuesday.

He told Fox5 that he had no connection to the case that has led to the hospitalization of one child and four others being placed in the custody of Georgia's Child Services department.

'I'm not too close to the situation right now, I’m just watching the house. I don’t really have any comment,' he said, before confirming the couple are his parents.
[snip]
According to officials, the boy was one of five siblings living in the half-million dollar home - not the oldest or the youngest. Authorities did not share information about the conditions of the other children, all of whom were homeschooled, but said it seemed that the 10-year-old boy was the only one being starved.
Georgia parents arrested for starving their ten-year-old child

So I am assuming EW is an adult child who doesn't live in the home but redacted his name just in case he is not an adult. I am curious how long this son EW has been out of the home and what his experience was when still living there. How much was he around to see in the past year? Did he know what his parents were doing in their home in regards to his siblings? I note he does not go by their last name, I wonder why that is? Were he and the parents estranged?

Mom's FB: Log into Facebook

Mom&Dad's FB: Log into Facebook

I also found a FB profile for EW under that name (no "Schindley"), and the cover photo on that account includes one of the kids in the 2nd FB profile above ("Krista Tyler Schindley). His profile is locked down so not much else to see, though actual sleuthers might find something useful that can help answer some of the excellent questions posed by @tlcya .

ETA:

Dad's FB: Log into Facebook

Articles mention that they have five kids; I only see pictures of two.

the dad went to the police station on his own after the child was picked up. What did he say? What is their story? What possible justification can they offer for this? What is their defense or reason? The other kids... ugh, they knew... this is just, wow. so so so amazingly sad.

ETA: Wait, so EW is a sixth child? He is not a minor and his name is out there. wtaf was going on?

the dad went to the police station on his own after the child was picked up. What did he say? What is their story? What possible justification can they offer for this? What is their defense or reason? The other kids... ugh, they knew... this is just, wow. so so so amazingly sad.

ETA: Wait, so EW is a sixth child? He is not a minor and his name is out there. wtaf was going on?
I don't think EW is a minor. Pretty sure he is married.

Shocking, how two adults live their lives,like they are on top of the world and in the meantime..this is going on behind the walls of their home :

"I just had a child walk past my house, alone. We went out to see if everything was okay. He’s asking us not to tell his parents. I don’t even know who his parents are,” she said, sounding calm but concerned on the phone.

The woman described the 10-year-old boy as a small white child wearing a blue shirt.

He begged us not to take him home,” she told dispatch.

Upon arrival, officers noticed the condition of the boy, describing him as “thin” with “discolored skin” and “visible injuries.”

Police release 911 call revealing moment Griffin neighbor finds 36-pound child

One of the articles linked had a video saying they interviewed a neighbor and the interview would be played tonight. He mentioned a 14 year old boy who has not been seen outside of the house since January. I wonder WHY they singled out this 10 year old. But HOW could they go about life as if nothing was wrong inside of this house!

36LBS just breaks me.
No matter how much you think you can imagine what a starving child looks like, it is so much worse to really see. I used to care for a child who was just turned 3, and weighed less than 5kg when she came to us. I remember the day she arrived, I thought the man was handing me an infant, and then her arms and legs unfolded to this tall child. The image of her will be forever burned in my memory and heart.

Praying for "little boy of Griffin", that he will receive good quality care in the hospital. His condition, from the sounds of it appears to me that he may have quite the recovery ahead from this. A low heart rate from severe malnutrition screams potential organ failure. I am by no means an expert, and although they said he was stable, he is still in a high risk stage IMO, and needs to be monitored slowly and carefully. I know LE want to speak with him, but I hope they can wait a few more days. He is very fragile, IMO.

ETA: I wish i never saw this thread......But, here I am
:(

I just read this story and was sickened again by another parent's starving and abusing a child. I have read too much about this on WS and seen it in the news too often. These parents should get the same punishment as one that killed their child. Slow torture to me is worse than instant death. I m o p

I have to wonder how it has never slipped from the lips of the other children? The extended family?
they were homeschooled. So easy to completely control your children's access to other people and the outside world at large if you homeschool them.
I know there are great homeschoolers who very much take amazing care of their children's welfare and education, but it's also the perfect setup for abuse and neglect. Its truly a concern how little oversight there is of home ed in a lot of areas. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back