Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado,
Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho,
Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland,
Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada,
New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon,
Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming
Plus U.S. Military & U.S. Gov’t

Ah okay. I misunderstood an interview earlier about it being in a minority of states. Still, not having it in 15 states is a good start.

Georgia will never abolish the DP on a state level. Will have to be via congress or SCOTUS.

One of Troy's relatives was speaking earlier about having the DA recalled. The pardons/parole board members are not elected. They are appointed by the governor.

I don't pray but I am right now for everyone involved.

Ditto.

Recently started.

I'm losing more confidence in our government with each passing day.
I feel more and more helpless and most importantly powerless in my position as a citizen.

You can always do what I am doing. Despite being 36 years old, I am now putting myself through school towards a Legal Studies degree and will put myself through Law School so that I can help to ensure these things don't happen. Crazy, I know, but I can't sit back and let these things happen.

Al Sharpton (hours ago) is advocating to outlaw eyewitness testimony in capital cases.

I agree completely. I also think that confessions should be kept out of trials and that both should only be used as investigative tools. Everything I have ever read says that eye witness testimony is the absolute worst evidence there is and that confessions alone cannot be used against a defendant and that they are required to find the facts. Of the 200+ people who have been released 25% have confessed and countless others had eye witnesses against them. If these things were kept out of trial and they were only allowed to convict based on evidence, we wouldn't hear about these cases as often as we do.

I'm praying.

Thank you for being here.

Me too.

I feel like vomiting. I'm stricken. If there is a possibility that this man is innocent, this should not happen.

The death penalty is overwhelmingly sentenced against poor, black men. That is enough to make me abhor the death penalty.

I believe some people deserve to die. I just don't believe that the government should have the power to determine who, in criminal cases.

We are the ONLY westernized democracy to still have the death penalty. The way we, as Americans, look at places like Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan or Somalia, where they flog people to death, stone them to death, cut off their hands, etc., well, that's how all of Europe, and Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, that's how they view us when it comes to cases like this.

I am sick to my stomach and my heart is in pain. This is wrong. And Obama does not want to get involved because he doesn't want to be accused of reverse racism, is the report. Well, that's chicken ***** and an immoral standpoint, IMO.

I will admit, although I am a Catholic and against the death penalty for various reasons, I did not feel bad when Ted Bundy was executed and I did not feel bad about the thought of Scott Peterson being executed. But this is different. There is a strong question of innocence here and this case underscores why we should get rid of such a barbaric practice. Let God take care of it. We should be so much more modern and civilized than this.

We have failed today, in this country. We are beasts, to let this happen.

You can always do what I am doing. Despite being 36 years old, I am not putting myself through school towards a Legal Studies degree and will put myself through Law School so that I can help to ensure these things don't happen. Crazy, I know, but I can't sit back and let these things happen.

I agree completely. I also think that confessions should be kept out of trials and that both should only be used as investigative tools. Everything I have ever read says that eye witness testimony is the absolute worst evidence there is and that confessions alone cannot be used against a defendant and that they are required to find the facts. Of the 200+ people who have been released 25% have confessed and countless others had eye witnesses against them. If these things were kept out of trial and they were only allowed to convict based on evidence, we wouldn't hear about these cases as often as we do.

I could not agree more with you about confessions.

And I want you to know that you are a hero to me.

I don't know that I can handle this right now. It has been such an emotional roller coaster for me today but I feel almost panicky about the gruesome thing they are about to do to this man. I don't know that I can handle it.

I wonder why the defense didn't have the recanting witnesses testify under oath during the Supreme Court hearing well before today? That's what is so weird about this case.

The bloody clothing is what the defense fought to have admitted into evidence and to me that is very odd, if that is what the defense is now saying will prove his innocence.

To me you cannot have it both ways. I guess the amnesty/innocence attorneys messed up or something...

I guess I had some real hope they would stop it.

Ah okay. I misunderstood an interview earlier about it being in a minority of states. Still, not having it in 15 states is a good start.

Georgia will never abolish the DP on a state level. Will have to be via congress or SCOTUS.

I agree they wont and I don't think congress or SCOTUS will intervene either on what individual states decides to do. It still sticks in some people's craw that Charles Mason wasnt executed. Not as long as there are very heinous crimes being done and lately there are some very cruel and sadist crimes that calls out for the DP imo. The Petit Family murders- the 8 murdered by Guy Heinz Jr in Brunswick Georgia or the Christian/Newsom murders etc. and I think Casey Anthony should have gotten death.

It takes a long time to execute someone in Georgia although I have seen some cases lately that happened sooner than in the past.

It took them over 30 years to execute Carl Issac when he killed 6 of the Alday family. He lived longer in prison than some of his victims did their entire time on earth.

Troy was in prison for 22 years right?

IMO

I'm an opponent of the DP for more reasons than would be proper to cite here...

But THIS case could even allow those (Bob Barr, example) to advocate for the DP while excepting this case.

As I posted above: If not THIS case, which one?

Very sad result for our system.

Sending comfort and support to all who were directly involved in this case. For the MacPhail Family, I hope you found your peace. I take my comfort from the family of James Byrd.

jmo

I could not agree more with you about confessions.

And I want you to know that you are a hero to me.

That is very sweet. Thank you so much. But I don't see it as being heroic. I see it as doing what is right in the only way that I know how to ensure that nothing like this could ever happen to one of my kids or any of yours. I have an natural understanding for the law and that is something that a lot of people don't have. I think it would be wrong of me not to use it. I never see doing the right thing as being heroic. I wish that the officials in GA felt the way I do. :sick:

I think I am going to sit here and watch until they come out and read the details out of respect for Troy and then I am going to go to bed and dream of him going to Marie.

I don't know that I can handle this right now. It has been such an emotional roller coaster for me today but I feel almost panicky about the gruesome thing they are about to do to this man. I don't know that I can handle it.

((((hugs)))).... We are all here and feeling the same way. I wish I could just hyperspace down there and stop it myself. I am exhausted and want to go to sleep, but will not leave this board until he is gone. I will hold a vigil with all of you fellow WS'ers...

My thoughts are with MacPhail's family. I saw the interview tonight on CNN with his mother. She has been through so much during all of the appeals in the last 20 years. I hope she finally gets some closure.

I also feel for the Davis family because I know it's been an ordeal for them as well. At least they should be thankful for being able to have contact with their loved one all these years unlike the MacPhail family who have nothing, but a photograph.

I hope something good happens out of this situation.

May you have a peaceful death, Troy. I hope with everything that your dying tips the scales in this country, and helps bring about an end to the death penalty.

Peace to both families and loved ones, as well.

WillBeekman Will Beekman
I don't protest the killing of #TroyDavis because I think he was innocent. I protest it because I think it makes us guilty.
5 minutes ago

Edpilkington The Guardian US
by Vidocq_CC
We hear the execution of #TroyDavis has begun
1 minute ago

images

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLU_sFWS1M4ZJJlj4ybe2-mmJG1YETT4Fu3hWtuCfBK-XFb1-dag

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back