GA GA - Two AWOL Afghan soldiers (one found), Moody AFB, Valdosta, 7 Dec 2015

Not saying this is related but it's interesting timing.

Multiple cell phone purchases at 3 Missouri Walmarts raise suspicions

http://fox4kc.com/2015/12/09/multiple-cell-phone-purchases-at-3-missouri-walmarts-raise-suspicions/

FBI alerted about bulk cell phone purchases at Missouri Walmarts

http://fox2now.com/2015/12/10/fbi-alerted-about-bulk-cell-phone-purchases-at-3-missouri-walmarts/

I'm sure they have security cameras in WalMart, and they must have IDs for the two men they spoke to.

A spokesman for the FBI tells WDAF-TV that it’s standard procedure for law enforcement agencies to contact them if they deem something to be suspicious. Just because the FBI was contacted does not mean they are investigating the purchases. The alerts could be out of an abundance of caution.

I hope that's all it turns out to be, but I can't think of a single reason someone would buy so many cell phones.

And I'm trying really hard to think of one.

I'm sure they have security cameras in WalMart, and they must have IDs for the two men they spoke to.

I hope that's all it turns out to be, but I can't think of a single reason someone would buy so many cell phones.

I agree. I think Walmart has tons of surveillance.

Someone commented on fb that maybe they are buying to resell at their store, possibly? Buy them on sale and make a profit.

I notice on twitter the quantities and the number of Walmarts in MO is growing! Now it's 6 stores.

New info: FBI notified after cell phones purchased at six Missouri Walmarts

http://khqa.com/news/state/fbi-alerted-to-suspicious-cell-phone-buys-in-missouri-12-10-2015

eta, maybe this needs it's own thread, my apologies for the o/t.

Most people on FB are leaning toward terrorists, my first thought was retaliation against them for their background. I hope neither one is true.

Also a lot of people mentioning the men being investigated for buying huge amounts of cell phones at Walmart. Not saying it has anything to do with terrorism or not but it's fairly common for people to buy a bunch when they are on sale and resell them for a profit in their own corner stores, especially in areas where people aren't as mobile and might not be able to get to a Walmart or somewhere to get a cheap phone. That said most Walmarts limit the amount of cells they will allow someone to purchase, especially when they're at a deep discount.

I really think if these men committed a terrorist act so far they have not done anything so should not be treated has terrorists! then this story about them going missing on juty surly would not normally be made public until after an attack when their passports magically appear or is that just me

Not sure that they have IDs on the two men, from what I read they said they used cash to make the purchases.

Not sure that they have IDs on the two men, from what I read they said they used cash to make the purchases.

I'm talking about the two they questioned.

Authorities talked to the men buying the merchandise, but didn’t have a legal reason to detain them, so they were allowed to leave. Police say they did notify the FBI.

Here we go. There's names and pictures also mentions about a rental car.

Missing Afghan trainees identified, described as 'friendly, nice guys'

The two Afghan trainees, identified by NBC News as Mirwais Kohistani and Shirzad Ruhullah, were last seen on Dec. 4, and reported missing on Dec. 8 after they did not report for duty.

http://www.walb.com/story/30718294/...es-identified-described-as-friendly-nice-guys

Sources: Missing Afghan trainees likely rented car

http://www.walb.com/story/30708914/sources-missing-afghan-trainees-likely-rented-car

Please help me. Why were 2 foreign soldiers assigned to a U.S base? Are they foreigners or legit citizens of Afghan decscent that helps with overseas communications. Thanks in advance.

I think it's no coincidence and they might be trying to do the same thing the others did and apply for asylum in Canada. If that's their plan though they'll be caught at the border. Rented car, Afghan passports... they're going to get noticed.

Both men were being trained in aircraft maintenance and were scheduled to graduate from the program Dec. 18, said Lt. Col. Chris Karns, an Air Force spokesman. After graduation, they were to return to Afghanistan to begin working with A-29 Super Tucano airplanes in their home country, Karns said.

If that is what they're going to do - Canada has a new PM and unlike the others who were sent back they might be allowed to stay. JMO

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/1...rom-us-air-force-base-were-about-to-graduate/

Please help me. Why were 2 foreign soldiers assigned to a U.S base? Are they foreigners or legit citizens of Afghan decscent that helps with overseas communications. Thanks in advance.

They are in the US for military training. They are not citizens. It is a temporary situation. I believe for two years.

Training to work with US forces on a joint mission. It's a common practice that happens all the time on military bases in America and in foreign countries.

They were part of a program that brings Afghan soldiers to the US to be trained by and with our armed services. They then go back to Afghanistan to fight and serve their country and they bring back their training and new skills to share with their comrades over there. The idea is to boost their army so they are eventually self sufficient so we can reduce the number of American boots on the ground.

It seems like they have been here for almost a year, and so they were probably being prepared to be sent back to Afghanistan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That "may have rented cars" is strange because either they did or didn't. Could it be they rented a truck from either Penske or Budget that's right next to Moody AFB?

Map is in this article of the base & the truck rental locations.

http://www.walb.com/story/30708914/sources-missing-afghan-trainees-likely-rented-car

Irene Taylor owns the Discount Alterations store on Bemiss road right near the base. She said she can't help but think the worst.

"We need to find them. We need to find them because otherwise it's dangerous for everybody here," said Taylor.

They've been here almost a year. How many times have they gone off post in that time?

2 Afghan Trainees at Georgia Air Base Are Missing

The missing men were in a class of nine Afghan pilots and 12 Afghan aircraft maintenance students who train in classrooms or on the flight line, Colonel Karns said. They were scheduled to graduate on Dec. 18 and return to Afghanistan.

While the reason behind the disappearance of the two men is not yet known, military officials have said that it is not uncommon for officers visiting from countries where life is hard to get a glimpse of American life and go absent without leave.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/us/2-afghan-trainees-at-georgia-air-base-are-missing.html

(SNIPPED) The base said the men were screened before their arrival, and had been training alongside American counterparts. The missing men “do not pose any apparent threat,” the base said.

An Air Force spokesman, Lt. Col. Christopher P. Karns, said in a telephone interview that the last contact with the two students was on Friday. OKAY, that was 6 days ago. They are allowed to leave the base on weekends, and it was assumed they did, he said. What do they mean "assumed"??? Don't they know where the hell their foreign fighters are? What kind of security is that?

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday and they were not found in their living quarters on the base, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,”

Safe return my grandmother's boots. They are covering up that they want to know, where the hell these two deserters from terrorist infected nations are and what the hell they are up to.

All without getting normal people upset that the US brings in and trains on our own soil Muslims, that may or may not be secret terrorists.

NO worries, ya all. Haha, lots of our imported Young male Muslims that we train for combat, like to take a hike off base and disappear, to enjoy the United States Country Side. No, need to worry your little head about any of that.

*****BUT. SNIPPED: The base said the men were screened before their arrival, and had been training alongside American counterparts. The missing men “do not pose any apparent threat,” the base said.

After the men failed to report for duty on Monday and they were not found in their living quarters on the base, the search widened to include federal, state and local law enforcement agencies to ensure their “safe return,” SNIP

“In light of everything going on in the world today, we want to make sure no one jumps to any unfair or misinformed conclusions,” he said.

Well, alrighty then. In light of everything going on in the world today, you've already admitted that you have lost sight of these two. Would that be unfair to say? Or, would that be an unfair or misinformed conclusion?

Colonel Karns said. He added there were no reports of missing weapons, “or anything of that nature.”

Okay Dokay, Colonel Karns. I guess these two little innocent guys, just decided to evade the United States Government and the wrath that SHOULD have gone down on their heads by desserting.

As, like all, middle eastern recruits, they just wanted to do a little site seeing of America. Hey, What they Hay.

This story should be TOP NEWS. The Pictures of these recruits should be TOP NEWS.

There is NO good reason to go awol. NONE.

I really think people are overreacting. Just because they are from Afghanistan doesn't mean they are a threat. They probably want to stay in the US. A year is a long time to get accustomed to a new way of life. Now please understand I'm NOT saying it's right. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't freak out yet.
All MOO

I really think people are overreacting. Just because they are from Afghanistan doesn't mean they are a threat. They probably want to stay in the US. A year is a long time to get accustomed to a new way of life. Now please understand I'm NOT saying it's right. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't freak out yet.
All MOO

I think if anyone is in danger it's them. I hope they're found soon.

2 Afghan airmen still missing from Ga. base

“It’s not the first time it’s happened, so we just want to find them if we can,” said [ U.S. Air Force spokesman Ed] Gulick. “I think we just think we continue to look for them, and follow to try and find them."

In September 2014, three senior Afghan military officers who failed to return to a Camp Edwards, a National Guard training facility at Joint Base Cape Cod, Mass., were taken into custody while trying to cross into Canada and subsequently sent back to Afghanistan.

“As you know, they’re from Afghanistan over there fighting for their country’s freedom. So, there are those that would want to harm them if they found out they were in the Afghanistan air force,” said Gulick.

Gulick said the disappearance could even put the men's families at risk of being attacked. Gulick said he does not believe the men pose a threat to anyone in the United States.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back