Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

The university & town are also mourning the death of a freshman by self-harm on Feb. 21.

As you know, the tragic death of another student in Brumby Hall on Wednesday evening has also shaken our community. As our UGA family grieves and grapples with recent events, now is the time for us to come together and support each other.

Our classes will resume on Monday, Feb. 26. The student Greek organizations Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma are jointly hosting a vigil at Tate Plaza on Monday, Feb. 26, at 3 p.m. to remember the two students we have lost. This service is open to the campus community.

This was 100% preventable and there were many chances to have prevented this "man" from being able to do this.

I just don't understand the system that we have in this country. It makes it even that much more heart breaking. He should not have been walking around able to harm anyone and his brother having that many encounters with LE and nobody discovers there is an issue when there is a DUI, shoplifting, both of them driving without a license.. injuring a child (WTH?) and neither have proper documentation to be here. How did they slip through the cracks this many times?

Now the brother wants to claim asylum?

You come here because you are afraid to be in your own country.. I get that, but what do you do once you arrive here for a new/better life?? You drink and drive, drive without a license, shoplift, and then don't appear in court.. NO You are not acting like you NEED to be here because it's horrible in your country you are committing crimes and I'd say being arrested 3X in 4 months is ridiculous.. this is after your brother is arrested too.. now he's murdered someone.. my God this system is so messed up. This isn't even about politics.. this is criminals not being held accountable for their crimes and now a girl is dead.

Last edited:
The DOJ just released the following statement:
The brother of the suspect charged with murdering a woman on University of Georgia’s campus—was charged tonight by federal criminal complaint with possessing a fraudulent green card and is currently being held in state custody.
Diego Ibarra, 29, of Venezuela, is charged by criminal complaint with possession of a fraudulent document. Ibarra’s initial appearance has not yet been scheduled. If convicted, Ibarra faces a maximum of ten years in prison. Diego Ibarra is the brother of Jose Antonio Ibarra, 26, of Venezuela, who is facing state charges for malice murder, felony murder, aggravated battery, aggravated assault, false imprisonment, kidnapping, hindering a 911 call and concealing the death of another in the death of Laken Hope Riley.
According to the criminal complaint and sworn affidavit, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) was made aware of Ibarra’s undocumented presence in the United States on Feb. 23, 2024.
An Athens-Clarke County Police Department (ACCPD) officer approached Ibarra earlier today because he matched the description of a suspect in the homicide investigation.
Ibarra presented the officer with a U.S. permanent resident card (also called a green card) as identification.
The card was determined to be fraudulent. Ibarra is a citizen of Venezuela and was processed for expedited removal but claimed a credible fear of return to Venezuela. He was consequently released from immigration custody pending adjudication of his claim for asylum on April 30, 2024.
According to the criminal complaint and sworn affidavit, since entering the country, Ibarra has been arrested three times by Athens law enforcement: on or about Sept. 25, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a license; on or about Oct. 27, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for theft by shoplifting; and on or about Dec. 8, 2023, Ibarra was arrested by ACCPD for failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense.
The case is being investigated by Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) with critical assistance from FBI, GBI, Athens-Clarke County Police Department, University of Georgia Police Department and Clarke County Sheriff’s Office.
Stmarysmead we need a link to this statement or we will have to remove it.
Thank you,
Tricia

Student Laken Hope Riley Found Dead on University of Georgia Campus

“We have been fully briefed on this terrible situation,” UGA said in the statement. “Foul play is suspected, and we are already receiving support from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and Athens-Clarke County Police Department to investigate this crime. We want to assure you that the safety and welfare of our campus community is our top concern.”

I'm still trying to catch up but what a beautiful name for a beautiful young woman. Fly high Laken Hope.

tough to compare a sketch with that photo because everything in the sketch is defined; the photo has a lot of light making the nose appear wider and it has shadow blurring the jaw line which is not clean shaven. The ears and eyebrows look a bit similar to me- I agree that the second individual's chin looks "chubbier"but if you tilt your own chin at different angles, you can "change" your jaw line in a photo. We know from other cases that sketches are pretty approximate- the poster who said DNA will decide was probably right. Does GA collect DNA with intake?

not to mention people gain weight ...

I found an article from 2019 about how the Athens GA community was welcoming migrants from Venezuela into their community.

How sad it ends this way.

JMO​

Ok, let me see if I have this straight. This man is here in the US illegally, where he proceeds to commit multiple crimes putting US citizens at risk… now he’s murdered an innocent college girl in nursing school out for a jog in the middle of the day…. WHY was he still here??

There should be accountability far, far up the chain for this. This young woman should be alive. This man should’ve been deported many times over. This is absurd.

Stmarysmead we need a link to this statement or we will have to remove it.
Thank you,
Tricia
Not the OP of the quoted post, but it’s linked in at least one other comment above this as well.

Jose Antonio Ibarra was arrested on Friday
Ibarra is a Venezuelan national who illegally crossed the southern border into El Paso, Texas in September 2022, News Nation reported, citing multiple DHS sources. He was released from DHS custody over a lack of detention space, according to the outlet

“The evidence is robust. It is supported by key input by the community, physical evidence and expert police work. Importantly, we were assisted by video footage from our campus security cameras network,” Clark said.
https://nypost.com/2024/02/23/us-news/laken-riley-did-not-know-suspected-killer-jose-ibarra-cops/

Last edited:
Diego Ibarra, 29, was charged after being arrested Friday, According to the DOJ, Ibarra is the older brother of Jose Antonio Ibarra, the 26-year-old accused of killing Laken Hope Riley.

Diego Ibarra was arrested after a police officer approached him “because he matched the description of a suspect in the homicide investigation,” according to the DOJ. Ibarra then presented a fake green card.

The DOJ said Ibarra “claimed a credible fear of return to Venezuela” after being arrested. He is currently in state custody awaiting an asylum hearing.

According to the DOJ, Ibarra had been arrested three previous times. He was first arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and driving without a license in September, theft by shoplifting in October and failure to appear for a fingerprintable offense in December.

I think of criminal predators as incapable of seeing other people as fellow humans. They are missing something in their brains or hearts. I think they are so incredibly self-centered that they don't care if their actions harm others.

If you respect others as fellow people, you don't consider the idea of hurting them (except in self-defense). Civilization depends on this.

I just don't think criminals think or feel as we do so it's almost impossible to understand them, and I don't think it's primitive instinct on their part but rather they are missing a human element themselves. Maybe the simple description is "evil."

jmo
Love this ,pure and simple! One of the last words of victims is often “why?”(“mom” is the other common one in wartime.)People want a reason.They want to make sense. Especially in crisis. They want to understand why and what is happening. Stranger killers are indeed missing a human element. They normally lack empathy and remorse, a conscience. Great fast work on behalf of the police. I understand they caught him by recognizing his face matched the surveillance footage? But how did they bump into him please????. Door to door search? Sorry I can’t find that in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Livianth
Back