GA - Zyda White, 2, beaten to death, 11yo charged, Sandy Springs, 18 Sept 2010

It would be interesting to know if the 11 year old CHILD even wanted to take sole care of the 2 year old? Was it just demanded? Was there to be any payment or reward for the child? Was there already seething resentment at being required to care for a 2 year old? DId this 11 year old CHILD have unmet needs? Was there abuse/neglect going on? It sure seems that leaving a 2 year old in the sole care of an 11 year old is endangeriing minors even under the most ideal circumstances. I'd guess the circumstances here were far far less than ideal.

Years ago when my sons were about 9 and 11, I considered having a third child. When I asked them what they thought, I was told with a dry sense of humour "fine, but we'll just kill it when you bring it home". Understand that they were kidding, we still laugh about that moment years ago, and they are fine citizens today and I am very proud of both of them. They rescue animals and one is a truly outstanding father. But that statement years ago was enough for me to shelve the idea forever. They seriously did NOT want to deal with a crying baby AT ALL. At their ages, who could blame them? They just wanted to play and have fun.

My daughter said the same thing lol, she was the baby and she did not want to give up that rank lol.She still is and she has turned out terrific!

First I wasn't trying to start a 'crib debate'. My bringing up the point was to determine what sleeping arrangements were made for a toddler if the child was there until a time past the childs bed time. Whenever I had guests with small children, if they were too young for a regular bed they were either in one of those portable pack n plays or they slept on the floor on a comforter or something which was safely appropriate. My point being, a parent bringing a toddler to a baby sitters - regardless of the age of the baby sitter should ensure the child has safe and proper sleeping arrangements or left instructions........ So I do believe sleeping arrangements for a toddler needing to sleep at a sitters is relevent and imo points to what I see as a lack of making good choices for her childs well being and safety on the toddlers mothers part.

jmo

sorry, wasn't implying you were stirring up a ruccus with your sleeping arrangements post. Sometimes I really hate the interenet, so hard to get the "tone" and intent right with only they typewritten word. My intent was not to belittle your post about crib or no crib but rather to explain I feel differently.

My comment regarding sleeping arrangements was simply meant to express there have been times when I have been pressed into babysitting for a neice, nephew, or grandchild and the anticipated time of pick-up from parents was extended. No sleeping arrangements had been considered as no-one thought it would be necessary.

A flat tire, a late nite out with friends, alcohol consumption, a variety of reasons could change a planned pick-up time of 8 pm into a

"Don't even worry about it, why don't you just leave her/him here and come and get him/her in the morning?"

"Sure, it's no trouble, he/she is actually already passed out, I made up a little pallet here in the living room."

You have every right to your opinion and don't certainly don't need to explain/justify to me why you find the crib-no crib an issue.

I have every right to feel the way that I do, for me it is a non-issue.

Peace friend.

Sandy Springs police are conducting interviews and examining evidence from the autopsy. (from the link in the first post)

is it normal to lay charges before getting the autopsy report back?

I find it odd, even if the girl admitted guilt ...

The hospital would already know the child did not die from natural causes.

IMO

11 year old is just to young to babysit.
Isn't there a law saying so?
Here in PA I think a child can not be left alone until atleast 12 years old.
So the babysitter was just to young!
Were any adults around at all????

I am not really sure if there is a law in Georgia determining the age of a babysitter. So many children look after their younger siblings that I think it would be hard to put an age on it. And this girl wasnt alone with the child but an adult was there too from I have read. Unfortunately it only takes a minute to gravely harm a child and even if the girl's mother had rushed in there it would have been too late for this little 2 year old.

I babysat children starting around 10 and no child on my watch was hurt or died from blunt force trauma or anything else. I had grown up around others who always cared for children at a young age. So I am not sure age is the main factor but being able to be mature enough to care from the baby.

However even an 11 year old child knows it is wrong to attack a little child.

IMO

Unfortunately there is no law in Georgia, only "recommendations". :crazy:

For many of us, having babysat at 11, 12, does not conjure up horrible memories. We got along fine. No baby died. However, I do believe that expecting a child to babysit at 11 is not good judgment.

The law in most states, just for a child to be left alone, in daytime, is 11. I'd say that means that upon consideration, 11 has been determined to be definitely too young to babysit.

Here's an argument that I think applies: We wouldn't say, "I drive drunk all the time and I've never had an accident--hey, evwerybody should drive drunk, it'll be fine." The positive results are no argument against the negative results if there are factors that make us know it's dangerous.

Here's how I found out if my (bright, normal, taught about fire both at school and at home) kid was ready to stay by himself, even for a little bit. I asked, "What would you do if a fire started in the kitchen?" He said, "I'd try to put it out and if I couldn't then I'd run outside." No staying alone for you, kid!

I think that many 11yo's have no idea what to do with a baby crying incessantly. They know they are supposed to make it stop. But do you imagine this little girl (the 11 one) has been taught or shown much of anything? I don't think so. She has panicked and made a terrible error. Probably first spanking (which I would bet, as I am somewhat familiar with Somali culture, she's been taught as a method for quieting an older child), and then reacting frantically when the crying and screaming increased. But fostering and counseling are "justice" for the 11-yo. The mother(s) are criminally negligent.

JMO, blah, blah. Sorry--I know I jumped around a lot.

I get your post. 11 is very young to know fully what she's doing, I guess, I'd like to know exactly how this kid died. I also started babysitting at 11. My mom was always only a few doors down but I remember a crying three year old once and just being at my wits end and feeling panicky. His parents came home right around then thankfully, but it was one occasion when my usual affinity for little kids got me nowhere. I really felt frustrated.
Another time, I got a few hang up calls. The kids were sleeping and I felt scared, suddenly, kind of for no reason. I called my mom several times with no answer. I got really panicky and just yelled from the lawn of the house, across to my mom's house, not wanting to leave the kids alone. No one was home though. It freaked me out. I knew basic safety and how to get kids to sleep and eat and bathed, etc. But I don't think I was equipped to deal with every thing that could happen. Not just mature enough. I don't think I'd let a pre-teen or even a teen watch my kids. There are too many stories of horrible things happening.

ETA: I see how she died now. Wow. It's hard to imagine an 11 year old girl being able, either physically or emotionally, to beat a toddler to death. I'm trying to think of how other young children killed, like Mary Bell or those boys from England. I think they stabbed them or something, or used a heavy object? I can't remember. But to use just your hands, if that's what happened, there would have to be some massive rage involved. I wonder if it was really the head injury alone that killed the baby. Then maybe she hit her hard with an object? If this girl did this, it's more than a bit of frustration. She probably had to beat and beat that child repeatedly to cause all that. I do believe an 11 year old knows not to savagely attack a baby. What causes a kid to go this far? What a sad, sad case.

The hospital would already know the child did not die from natural causes.

IMO

I know but sometimes there are previous injuries (indicating long-term abuse) or other things like drugs that are found in an autopsy that can indicate someone else's guilt

I started babysitting when I was youngish (10 or 11 I think?). I took a babysitting course when I was 12. I knew how to take care of them physically and feed them etc. but looking back now, I don't believe I had the emotional maturity necessary. I also think I would've panicked in an emergency situation. My first babysitting 'job' was right at the neighbours next door and one evening my brother came knocking on the door to check on me and the pounding on the door scared the carp outta me. I didn't know whether to answer it & I couldn't see who was there. Just an example of my inexperience.

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/articl...with-murdering-2-year-old-zyda-white/19644139

(Sept. 22) -- An 11-year-old girl helping her mother baby-sit has been charged with murdering a 2-year-old, who suffered blunt-force trauma to the head, torso and buttocks, Georgia authorities say.

Police in Sandy Springs, just north of Atlanta, are holding the girl, whose name was not released, in juvenile detention after issuing warrants charging her with felony murder and child cruelty

What I am having a hard time with is WTH was the 11 yr old s mom doing while this baby was screaming while being beaten to death.I watched all my younger cousins from the age of about 7 but always with my grandmother in the next room.I just did the playing ,diapers, feeding to help her.By the time I was 11 I was babysitting them by myself but always had a neighbor or relative either next door or across the street.When my niece was born I went to watch her in my sisters apt and It was very scary the first time, after the baby went to sleep but my sister called every half hour and it was just for 2 hrs.I really think some kids just are born evil, never once did I ever even smack a child let alone beat one.If her mom was there why didn't she hear the cry s?Was this poor defenseless child beaten once she fell asleep?I do not care what her age is she knew better.This sounds like a very viscous beating that poor baby.I have a feeling her mom was not home or was drinking or doing drugs.What a horrible shame.

This is terribly sad but unfortunately children are capable of murder.

How many bios have we read about serial killers who began torturing small animals and beating on smaller children when they were children?

Murders always start somewhere and children are capable of rage just like adults. Most of us learn as we grow older to control our anger some however never do.

Baby Sitter, 11, Charged With Murdering 2-Year-Old

Ashlea Collier, the toddler's mother, said she left her daughter with a co-worker and the co-worker's daughter. When she came to get Zyda White after getting off work, the child was lying in bed, her eyes wide open and her skin turning blue, WSBTV in Atlanta reported.

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/articl...with-murdering-2-year-old-zyda-white/19644139

I guess that answers any question as to if the Zyda's mother just left her with an 11 year old child.

BBM My comments are in blue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back