Gary Hilton - Cheryl Dunlap murder TRIAL

I wonder how long it will take for the DP to be put into action?
I thank the jury and judge for the wonderful verdict. I am satisfied.

Rest in Peace Cheryl.

Blessings to all of Gary's victims.

Goz

That very issue is supposed to be addressed during this year's legislative session. I'll try to keep you posted.

snip from article entitled:

House Leaders Lay Out Issues for the 2011 Session

“I believe the Legislature can and should work with the judicial branch to significantly improve the administration of justice in death-penalty cases,” said Cannon (House Speaker) in closing. “I am hopeful that reform could lead to a more equitable judicial system for all Floridians, and as we move forward toward the 2011 legislative session we will continue to explore this issue to determine when and what the right course of action for Florida may be.”

Goz--I don't think it will ever happen, but it may help put a "lid" on some of his stuff. He can't maintain all this crap. The decision has been made and all the free lawyers are going home. Once you enter the system, all the hurrah is over. He'll get meals on a tray thru a slot in the door.

Any ideas on what additional mitigating factors the PD might conjure up for the Spencer hearing?

From what I've read, the defense sometimes leave out a mitigating factor in order to present it as a last ditch effort before the Judge.

How could a Spencer hearing effect a 12-0 jury recommendation? From what I've gleaned, 12-0 recommendations are actually pretty rare. Hard to mitigate. A judge would need to hear some hardcore stuff.

Any ideas on what additional mitigating factors the PD might conjure up for the Spencer hearing?

From what I've read, the defense sometimes leave out a mitigating factor in order to present it as a last ditch effort before the Judge.

Hello..what is the Spencer Hearing?

I really feel like I have been on an emotional Rollercoaster since the trial started 3 weeks ago.

I was also hosting DD, SIL, 10 yo and 5 yo grandaughters. I was watching the trial on laptop and Droid cell phone. I was very careful not to let the youngsters hear to much of the horrific details.

My heartfelt prayers go out to Cheryl's family and many dear friends.

There was a lot of things discussed that were very heartbreaking to me and they had to have been to her cousin and aunt. To the best of my knowledge those two were in court each and every day. The aunt would step out when some of the more gruesome pictures were shown to the jury and on the large screen.

I have been trying to find out when the sentencing phase of the trial will be held. I watched so much...I really want to see it all through to the end. Does anyone out there know that answer??

Hopefloats...I guess we should try and get to know one another..We both have North Florida on our location..I have became text, email and phone friends with a lot of amazing people during this sad journey. I guess by now everyone knows that I live in Tallahassee...Have been here most of my life..So I guess I am an original "Tallahassee Lassie" BTW google Tallahassee Lassie and Mustang Sally and you will get the YouTube link for both of those very OLD songs.

Today is my 62nd Birthday and my kids left this afternoon to return to Connecticut...the land of ice and snow...for a few more months anyway. My DH is on vacation this week...so I guess I had better get to bed and have a Bday snuggle...LOL

Dear God..Please Tell Cheryl and Meredith that they are missed here on earth..Rest In Peace

mustangsal

Its just the last chance for the defense to speak before the Judge issues the sentence. I wasn't saying I think anything could change this jury recommendation. Only that I expect the defense to argue something. That's all.

Happy Birthday MS!!!!

http://acquitter.com/case-results/sarasota-death-penalty-spencer-hearing/

The purpose of the Spencer hearing is to ensure the reliability of the penalty and sentencing process in Florida. The hearing is named for Leonard Spencer, who was sentenced in 1989 to death after a jury found him guilty of two counts of first-degree murder and multiple counts of armed robbery.

In Spencer’s case, the defense attorney went looking for the judge and prosecutor and found them in the judge’s chambers,proofreading an order sentencing Spencer to death. Spencer’s attorney, “voiced his concern that the judge had drafted an order expressing his reasons and conclusions for imposing the death penalty prior to Spencer’s counsel having an opportunity to be heard,” according to the appeals court.

The Florida Supreme Court ultimately determined that a trial judge should not formulate his sentencing decision prior to giving the defendant an opportunity to be heard. They then then established a procedure to be used in the sentencing phase, which included the trial judge holding a hearing to give the defendant and his or her counsel the opportunity to be heard and an opportunity to present additional evidence – now called a “Spencer hearing”.

Hopeful...Thanks for the B day wish....The best present that I got was the Death Penalty for GMH...I hate to type out his name...Isn't that ugly. LOL

Thanks for the lesson on the Spencer's Hearing...I have a lot to learn about the law in
Florida. I have been through the Citizens' Academy at the Wakulla County Sheriff's Department...I could ride along, but Real Life has kept me busy. This county is where all of my other Guardian Ad Litem cases have been in Family Court with Judge Jill Walker. She is amazing.

I have put my application in to attend the Tallahassee Police Dept. Citizen Academy beginning soon. When you finish this class you are approved to go on Ride Alongs with the TPD officers. This should be cool.

mustangsal

Thanks for all the updated information.

I too hate to type his name. Death can come soon for this maggot as far as I am concerned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mustang Sally.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Goz

This is an excellent forum. Lots of information gettin thrown out there by wacky people (Wolfscratch-are you listening). Go thru all that stuff. Choose what you need and leave the rest behind---LOL.

some folks were right about some things in the beginning of this case, and wrong about others...
I think the state did a great job on this case! Investigation, and prosecution...despite their many attackers and detractors, justice has been served.

I agree that justice has been served in some sense. I just want him to end up in the place that's least comfortable.

Tallahassee Democrat Article 02-27-11

Our View: Death penalty is as fair as we can make it

snip:

A case in point is the representation of Gary Hilton, who has received top-notch representation through a team of local public defenders. Untold time, energy and money have been spent on the investigation of the facts and the presentation of their case. One group of attorneys focused on the guilt phase of the trial, while another focused on the penalty phase. If Hilton is sentenced to death, it will be because of the overwhelming evidence against him, not because of any lack of competence or compensation of his attorneys.

Today's update:

DPATED 2.28.2011 by Julie Montanaro

Family and friends of slain Sunday School teacher Cheryl Dunlap will have a chance to speak to the judge before convicted killer Gary Hilton is sentenced.

Attorneys in the case have set what's called a Spencer hearing for 9am on April 7th. That will allow both prosecutors and defense attorneys to present any other evidence they want the judge to consider before Hilton is sentenced.

A jury unanimously recommended a death sentence for Hilton last week for kidnapping and killing Dunlap back in December 2007. The judge will utlimately decide Hilton's sentence, but must give the jury recommendation great weight.

Prosecutors intend to present victim impact statements that day. Some victims will speak in person, others have sent letters to the judge.

There is no word yet on when the judge will actually sentence Hilton, but it could be within days of the April 7th hearing.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Gary_Michael_Hilton_Trial_-_Penalty_Phase_116396099.html

I am thinking very seriously about calling to see if I can make a victim's impact statement. I know what I would like to say...Just not sure if I should do it.

I am still praying and deciding if I have the strength to look at him from that witness box. Keep me in your thoughts...

sal

More thoughts:

I guess I can try and call her cousin and see if she is giving one. The wctv story says...""Family and friends of slain Sunday School teacher Cheryl Dunlap will have a chance to speak to the judge before convicted killer Gary Hilton is sentenced.""

I would also like to talk to the boys, but I am not sure how they will feel about me calling them. I talked to the briefly at the Family Visitation that my DH and I attended.

Dear God...Please bless the friends and family of Cheryl and give them the strength to give Cheryl their prayerful and loving statements of impact. I want GMH to know what a wonderful person he removed from among us.

No God, no peace. Know God, know peace. Press Like if you agree! =)
‎"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness." - Galatians 5:22

sal

Tallahassee Democrat 03-02-11

Meggs says cost shouldn't be a factor when arguing death penalty

Snip:

State Attorney Willie Meggs, preparing for a death-penalty sentencing in a grisly Big Bend case, today disputed state Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda’s argument that belt-tightening legislators could save millions by ending capital punishment in Florida.

The second-term Tallahassee Democrat has introduced a bill abolishing the death penalty. She conceded it has virtually no chance of passing in the Republican-run Legislature, but she is morally opposed to execution and believes the current budget climate provides a good time for the discussion.

“I don’t think cost is a factor we should look at, when we decide to seek the death penalty or not to seek it,” said Meggs. “It is reserved for the worst of the worst, and we carefully consider all the facts before seeking the death penalty.”

Tallahassee Democrat 03-02-11

Meggs says cost shouldn't be a factor when arguing death penalty

Snip:

State Attorney Willie Meggs, preparing for a death-penalty sentencing in a grisly Big Bend case, today disputed state Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda’s argument that belt-tightening legislators could save millions by ending capital punishment in Florida.

The second-term Tallahassee Democrat has introduced a bill abolishing the death penalty. She conceded it has virtually no chance of passing in the Republican-run Legislature, but she is morally opposed to execution and believes the current budget climate provides a good time for the discussion.

“I don’t think cost is a factor we should look at, when we decide to seek the death penalty or not to seek it,” said Meggs. “It is reserved for the worst of the worst, and we carefully consider all the facts before seeking the death penalty.”

The death penalty results in some savings also - some plead for fear of the death penalty, saving the taxpayers and the victims the trial.

Tallahassee Democrat 03-07-11

Gary Michael Hilton sentencing set for April 21

Gary Michael Hilton, convicted of killing Crawfordville nurse Cheryl Dunlap, will be sentenced April 21, according to court records. The sentencing will take place at 10 a.m. at the Leon County Courthouse.

A jury unanimously recommended that Hilton be sentenced to death. Circuit Judge James Hankinson will make the final decision.

Attorneys for both sides will appear before Hankinson on April 7 to present him aggravating factors before he makes his final decision. State Attorney Willie Meggs said the prosecution will provide witness impact statements.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back