GBC Trial General Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

But surely labeling one as a murderer even before the jury has retired is a prime example of what I am trying to say?

As for misrepresenting our financial positions, I do not mean this in a deceptive, fraudulent or even conscious way. How many of you have told the fundraisers who corral you in shopping centres that you don't have any cash on you? How about beggars? What about people who apply for a mortgage in the misguided belief that they have the capacity to meet their repayments should interest rates fluctuate? When you were younger, did you ever tell your mates that you couldn't go out because you were broke simply because you didn't want to go out? These are but a few examples, I could pull out a hundred more and I would be gobsmacked, absolutely astounded, if every adult in this country had not at one point or another lied (or were totally ignorant) about their finances.

BBM
Sorry JCB 'our' ???? I don't understand what you mean?

On what basis is it fraud or theft? Aren't you generalising in exactly the same way you lambasted me for only minutes earlier? Who did he dishonestly gain a benefit from?

To clarify (although I thought I had clarified sufficiently in my early post), what I mean is that I have no reason not to believe that GBC genuinely thought his financial position was not as dire as it seemed to be and that he believed the business was on the way up. Terribly optimistic on his part perhaps, but I didn't see anything untoward in his evidence that was demonstrably false, nevermind criminal (in relation to his finances I mean).
Not criminal by itself, but goes a long way towards Motive!

GBC was insulted when it was suggested that he would leave his children alone in the house while he disposed of a body. "How dare people think I am a bad father!!!!" &#8220;The best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.&#8221;

I hope Fuller is well rested.

Yes hopefully he is doing some vocal warm ups as we speak - la la la la la la laaaaa - arpeggios and scales - come on supersmartasastonecoldfox (hope I got that right)!

On what basis is it fraud or theft? Aren't you generalising in exactly the same way you lambasted me for only minutes earlier? Who did he dishonestly gain a benefit from?

To clarify (although I thought I had clarified sufficiently in my early post), what I mean is that I have no reason not to believe that GBC genuinely thought his financial position was not as dire as it seemed to be and that he believed the business was on the way up. Terribly optimistic on his part perhaps, but I didn't see anything untoward in his evidence that was demonstrably false, nevermind criminal (in relation to his finances I mean).
I don't think it is generalising. It is fact, written plain as day. Gerard studied accounting and any fool can see by the sums that everything was very dodgy.
If gbc could have gotten away with his ridiculous scheme, he would have benefited greatly.
I for one do not believe you were being "lambasted" but instead being shown the obvious.

Kate Kyriacou &#8207;@KateKyriacou 37m

The line to get into the Supreme Court is growing every minute. #badenclay pic.twitter.com/sHjr5EmFOM

David Murray &#8207;@TheMurrayD 26m

Luke Dorrington &#8207;@LukeDorrington 49m

People waiting to go into court for the #badenclay case. #7newsq @7NewsBrisbane pic.twitter.com/kEWDrkiePc

David Murray &#8207;@TheMurrayD 44m

Almost 100 people in line outside court for the fifth week of the #badenclay trial @couriermail

The defence and prosecution are today due to give closing arguments, judge will sum up, then jury will consider their verdict #badenclay

I&#8217;m fairly sure the defence team would have preferred that GBC not take the stand, but his choosing to speak in court may have worked in his favour. Here&#8217;s my take on the situation:
&#8226; GBC hopes that he can charm the jury into thinking that he&#8217;s a saint who has supported his depressed wife for all these years.
&#8226; GBC admits to affairs but against the above background infidelity it is understandable though not something he&#8217;s proud of.
&#8226; GBC trumpets his (self-perceived) business savvy and success.
&#8226; The jury, like most of us WS, pick up that GBC is so full of s##t that he squelches when he walks; having heard his squelching for several days they tend not to believe much of what he says, particularly in the case of matters that would put Allison in a poor light or show him in a good light.
&#8226; The jury, like most of us WS, realise that GBC is also pretty dim, under all the bluff, and isn&#8217;t skilled at planning.

The jury might have seen that GBC is a lying creep, but they might also be wondering if he has the competence to pull off a murder without leaving behind much evidence to implicate him. It depends how they think he got those marks on his face.

We&#8217;re at a critical point today: fingers crossed for justice!

Court will start soon, no? (I am just going off what times it seemed to start other days...usually as I was going to bed.)

Does anyone know if we will be able to get a full transcript of each of the closing statements somewhere?

Gawd I hope the defence's closing isn't yet another retell of the life and times of GBC. If he bangs on with travel tales and/or a year by year account of any signs of Allison's depression I'll be :gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz