General Discussion and Theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
After sleuthing these past 72 hours I see it is very possible for them to have googled his postal code (if it was on kijiji ad?) or when TB gave them his address (at maybe 3pm that day for example) they can easily see the area with google earth and if you check his street you can tell it is not well lit due to the rural location. From there you can easily see where all the roads lead to. With these guys being Baha racers and car guys, they are more than likely very good at reading maps and envisioning the area before they get there. With DM being an adventurer and maybe MS being hindered by a substance (??) it is possible they were gonna take the lazy route (not scope out the area located 45 min away) and just wing it, with maybe the aid of google maps...if they did do that on a computer, hopefully it was a personal comp and LE will find all their google searches and kijiji searces in the scope of the computer forensics.

I can only imagine LE has a gold mine of data to sift through on all their devices. Between desktops, laptops, tablets and phones, there WILL be a data trail a mile long. People have this idea that they can wipe history but the fact is, it's still there. Unless you're an uber-geek and know every trick in the book to genuinely wipe hard drives and all data trails (and most people aren't that tech-savvy), pretty much everything you do and every contact you make is still sitting there waiting to be read by those who know how to find it.

I can only imagine LE has a gold mine of data to sift through on all their devices. Between desktops, laptops, tablets and phones, there WILL be a data trail a mile long.

You are totally right, and not only that, but there are a number of witnesses as well.

I can tell you now, there will be a lot of information that was found such as:
-whoever sold DM the incinerator, why did he buy it? What would he use it for?
-all IP information
-the excavator that was removed from the property? Why did he have it, who sold it?
-There is already a ban on publication of witnesses, but MS girlfriend is a witness according to the spec.
-the original test drive in Etobicoke

There will be a ton of evidence against them

Unless you're an uber-geek and know every trick in the book to genuinely wipe hard drives and all data trails (and most people aren't that tech-savvy), pretty much everything you do and every contact you make is still sitting there waiting to be read by those who know how to find it.

If I am correct, I don't think it is possible to completely destroy all the information from a computer or a hard drive/lap top.

All that being said, that IS a long drive from where DM and MS live, and cover of sunset darkness? Maybe both were something they had counted on, if it was premeditated?

Not sure where you might live, but I actually live within walking distance of where MS lived....TB's house is not that far, it is actually closer that the Etobicoke location.

If I am correct, I don't think it is possible to completely destroy all the information from a computer or a hard drive/lap top.

No, you certainly can destroy all data and make it non-recoverable. There are tools available for anyone to use to completely wipe a drive.

No, you certainly can destroy all data and make it non-recoverable. There are tools available for anyone to use to completely wipe a drive.

I believe it can still be retrieved.....LE would have these resources.

I recently watched something on one of the Investigative Discovery cases where a forensics computer science dude said that it's really difficult to wipe EVERYTHING from a hard drive. It has to be extremely damaged. You can drown them, burn them, pound them, scream at them, and they still can get info from them in some cases.

:eek:

I recently watched something on one of the Investigative Discovery cases where a forensics computer science dude said that it's really difficult to wipe EVERYTHING from a hard drive. It has to be extremely damaged. You can drown them, burn them, pound them, scream at them, and they still can get info from them in some cases.

You are right, LE can get info off a deleted or destroyed hard drive.

If the drive is wiped with software designed for wiping, the data is gone. The bits are overwritten numerous times so that the data that was once held on the drive is simply no longer there. There are no 'tools available to LE' to overcome this physical change in the drive.

Now formatting and deleting is different. In those cases, yes, the data can be retrieved.

You are right, LE can get info off a deleted or destroyed hard drive.

Yes, this is true too. If the data has not been wiped, they can go to great lengths to get the data off a drive that has been smashed or punctured, etc.

This theory about a Dodge Ram smuggling ring is pretty far fetched. Do you really think DM just got into doing this for fun, or that he is a seasoned pro at stealing and smuggling pickup trucks, and this time he screwed up? I'm sorry but that is absurd. He would have to steal and smuggle hundreds of trucks to build up a fraction of what his family is worth. Furthermore, if he were a seasoned pro, he wouldn't have stolen TB's truck the way he did... I mean there is absolutely no reason to even imagine he is part of some international truck smuggling ring, it's so ridiculous.

Not sure where you might live, but I actually live within walking distance of where MS lived....TB's house is not that far, it is actually closer that the Etobicoke location.

Actually it is roughly 50 min from DM's place to TB's place......It is approx 25 min from DM's place to MS's place......and from MS's place to TB's place is about 35 min....so TB is actually further away from MS than DM Etobicoke location is from MS....just sayin.

Police say the truck was a target... They wanted that specific truck....why?

IMO..perhaps that particular truck was a second hand truck that TB bought from someone who committed a crime with it, or was doing criminal activity with it?? Maybe whoever owned it prior to Tim got away with the crime.. So these kids set out to find the particular truck to rid the owner.. Thinking TB was the criminal not knowing he purchased the truck from the real criminal? Who owned the truck prior to Tim?

Ernesto it was brought to our attention that this particular vehicle with that particular engine was/is highly sought after in other countries ...

I believe it can still be retrieved.....LE would have these resources.

Outside of physically destroying the hard drive, there are other ways to completely remove all data. If used properly, there are many free software tools out there that can wipe the drive(s). Minimal/average computer skills required.

For example: http://www.dban.org/

Having said that, IMO this case won't have information thats lost due to wiped data.

Police say the truck was a target... They wanted that specific truck....why?

IMO..perhaps that particular truck was a second hand truck that TB bought from someone who committed a crime with it, or was doing criminal activity with it?? Maybe whoever owned it prior to Tim got away with the crime.. So these kids set out to find the particular truck to rid the owner.. Thinking TB was the criminal not knowing he purchased the truck from the real criminal? Who owned the truck prior to Tim?

Good question, was TB's truck owned by someone before TB, or did TB buy new?

I have trouble reconciling the literal truck value vs murder and a clean escape given the brashness, openness and exposure to outsiders like TB's wife.

I could see DM and others wanting the truck if it was full of money or drugs, unknown to TB, but they could have simply purchased it and removed any hidden contraband without the messiness and complication of murder.

Personally I found the " scream at them" option the most scary. :floorlaugh:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I still think they just wanted the engine for their toys. MOO
I realize the dollar value people have pointed out, but DM didnt need the money.

Ernesto it was brought to our attention that this particular vehicle with that particular engine was/is highly sought after in other countries ...

Sure it's sought after but it's not like we're talking about human organs or the Mona Lisa or something like that... this is a truck, with thousands of others just like it. It's worth $50k USD at most, which is absolutely not worth the trouble that DM is in, based on the rest of his assets.

I'm not saying that using the engine in one of their toys is impossible...BUT...There's a lot to that in modern cars. There's wiring harnesses, they have to use the correct ECM (Computer). Unless you are installing the engine or components in a like model, you are embarking on a task beyond what it is worth. It takes a HIGHLY SKILLED mechanic to put , let's say, a Dodge 3500 Diesel into a Jeep. Your average backyard mechanic would be in WAY over his depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatcrimewriterchick