George's inconsistencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reporter was wrong.

There are serious repercussions for lying to the police during a criminal investigation. Even if you are not under oath, if you are being questioned by police and you knowingly give them false information during the process of a criminal investigation you can be charged with hindering an investigation, or prosecution, you can be charged with giving false information to a police officer (Remember they have all given sworn statements..)

Although I don't have time to research the exact statutes or what the penalties are for Florida specifically, I am certain there are several, depending on the level of lying and if they feel you were hindering a prosecution or actually helping commit/cover up a crime..

One in particular I do remember is "obstructing an officer without violence". There was a kid a few years ago who lied to an officer during an investigation and that's the official charge they placed against him for it.

So I am not sure if the reporter was just guessing, but I would bet if it comes to light that this family has lied during this investigation there will be charges against them.

That reporter was wrong.

There are serious repercussions for lying to the police during a criminal investigation. Even if you are not under oath, if you are being questioned by police and you knowingly give them false information during the process of a criminal investigation you can be charged with hindering an investigation, or prosecution, you can be charged with giving false information to a police officer (Remember they have all given sworn statements..)

Although I don't have time to research the exact statutes or what the penalties are for Florida specifically, I am certain there are several, depending on the level of lying and if they feel you were hindering a prosecution or actually helping commit/cover up a crime..

One in particular I do remember is "obstructing an officer without violence". There was a kid a few years ago who lied to an officer during an investigation and that's the official charge they placed against him for it.

So I am not sure if the reporter was just guessing, but I would bet if it comes to light that this family has lied during this investigation there will be charges against them.

Thank you. You are correct. And reporters are known to speculate.

Anyway, in the link I provided above, there is this near the end:

Source: http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2008/7/23/casey_anthony_remains_in_jail.html

Casey Anthony has been charged with child endangerment, making false official statements and obstructing a criminal investigation -- a third-degree felony, third-degree misdemeanor and second degree misdemeanor.

Maybe the reporter was referring to "non-official" statements? I'm guessing, lol, and I don't know why I feel the need to make excuses for media. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea