Germany/Portugal - Christian Brueckner, 27 @ time of 1st crime (2004), charged with sexual assault crimes, Praia de Rocha, Portugal. #3

The eyes wouldn't be the same 20 yrs on would they?

Near the close of the day's session, the judge asked Brückner to approach the bench - apparently in order to examine his eyes.
In addition, according to the defense, this first article, which is said to have put Hazel B. on the trail of her alleged tormentor, also contained a photo of CB. The precarious thing: Of all things, his eyes – the feature by which Hazel B. claims to have identified Christian B. – were covered by a black bar in this picture.

Perhaps photographs of CB were covered by black bars in Germany; but just as British publications ignored the German requirement for anonymity in naming suspects there were no qualms about showing CB's face or even videos of him.
Surprising that CB's defence didn't know this.

Friday, May 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 16) (@ 9am CET) – Germany/Portugal - Hazel Behan (20 @ time/now 40) (in her home, June 16, 2004, Praia de Rocha on the Algarve coast, 10 miles from Praia de Luz, Portimao, Portugal) - *Christian Stefan Brückner (Bruekner) (27 @ time of 1st crime (2004)/45/now 47) charged (Oct. 11, 2022) with sexual assault (suspect held a knife & brutally raped her. The accused then tied & gagged the woman to a table & raped her again. He then whipped the victim on the back with a whip he had brought with him & finally forcibly performed oral sex with the victim. The accused filmed large parts of the events with a video camera he had brought with him). Braunschweig Regional District Court
Germany/Portugal – *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 - a 14 year old teenager (unknown victim) (on tape: assaulted/hit the naked girl with a whip. Said to have brutally forced the girl to have oral sex. The accused also videotaped this act). Took place between Dec. 28, 2000 to April 8, 2006 on the Praia da Luz, Algarve coast, Portugal.
Germany/Portugal - *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 - an elderly woman 70-80 yrs old (unknown victim) a Tour Rep (tied up & raped the victim in her holiday apt. He then hit the victim several times with a whip. The accused is said to have recorded the entire event with a video camera). Took place around the same time (between Dec. 28, 2000 to April 8, 2006) on the Praia de Luz, Algarve coast, Portugal.
Germany/Portugal – *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 - 10 year old German girl (Joana E.) (wearing only shoes & otherwise naked. He grabbed the child's wrist & began to perform masturbation movements on his naked penis). On Salema (Zalema) beach, near Praia de Luz, Portugal, April 7, 2007).
Germany/Portugal – *Charged (Oct. 11, 2022) & arrest warrant reinstated 11/18/22 – Ines VP (11 year old Portuguese girl) (pulled down his trousers & underpants & made masturbation movements on his naked penis in order to sexually arouse himself, until the frightened girl ran to her father for help. The suspect was arrested on the spot by the Portuguese police). Exposed himself in playpark, São Bartolomeu de Messines, June 11, 2017).
Trial began on February 16, 2024. (And continued on Feb. 23rd, Mar. 1st & 14th, Apr. 2nd, 10th, 12th, 17th, 19th, 24th & 26th, May 2nd & 15th).
Next Trial dates: May 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, June 4, 5, 6, 25, 26, July 5, August 5, 15, 16, Sept. 5, 26, 27, Oct. 2, 7, 8, 21 & Oct. 22, 2024. (Expected to last up to 8 months, it was 3 months).
Presiding Judge Dr. Engemann. Lead Prosecutor Ute Lindermann. Defense attorneys Dr. Friedrich Fülscher, Philipp Marquort, Dennis Bock & Atilla Aykac.
Brueckner is currently serving a 7 year sentence for the 2005 rape on a pensioner; was sentenced in 2019. Release in 2026.

Case info & charges & Brueckner info from June 1, 2020 thru Jan. 18, 2024 & Trial Day 1-14 (Feb. 16 thru May 15) reference post #546 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...imes-praia-de-rocha-portugal-3.708597/page-28

May 16, 2024 Thursday, Trial Day 15: Hazel Behan [was working in an Algarve resort as a holiday rep] back on stand.
For more info see posts #605 (article) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...imes-praia-de-rocha-portugal-3.708597/page-31
Trial continues on Friday, May 17, 2024 @ 9am.

Olive press.So it's not just the defence asking awkward questions.

Behan, of County Westmeath, told judge Ute Engelmann she ‘couldn’t understand’ why her ex-partner would claim she was ‘lying’ about the incident.

When the judge announced that British expat, Jason Coates, had sent an email claiming she had made up the rape, Behan hit back suggesting he was bitter.

She said they had not spoken for 15 years, despite having a son together, and he had effectively ‘dumped her bags in the street’ outside their house in Portugal and told her to leave in February 2007.

The debate hinged on the relevance of police in Portugal finding his DNA in her underwear around the time of the attack.

The judge asked whether she had sex with Coates around the time of the incident. She said she assumed so but couldn’t remember exactly when.

Is this part of yesterday's testimony or from today ?

Behan, of County Westmeath, told judge Ute Engelmann she ‘couldn’t understand’ why her ex-partner would claim she was ‘lying’ about the incident.

When the judge announced that British expat, Jason Coates, had sent an email claiming she had made up the rape, Behan hit back suggesting he was bitter.

She said they had not spoken for 15 years, despite having a son together, and he had effectively ‘dumped her bags in the street’ outside their house in Portugal and told her to leave in February 2007.

The debate hinged on the relevance of police in Portugal finding his DNA in her underwear around the time of the attack.

The judge asked whether she had sex with Coates around the time of the incident. She said she assumed so but couldn’t remember exactly when.

Seriously the Judge will give the email zero weight IMO.

JC has not made himself available for any direct or cross examination. It makes sense (in the german system) to ask the complainant why it was sent - but assuming she gave a composed answer, there is no reason to think it casts any doubt.

In the UK, this email would not be admissible, for the same reasons. It's an out of court statement where the primary witness needs to testify. He can't just mail in some random accusations and have it taken seriously.

MOO

Last edited:
IMO CB is probably guilty - though it is hard to say given the lack of detail in the reporting.

I feel like there is a lot to suggest a somewhat consistent and unusual MO.

Not sure it's to BARD standard though.

First up, a lot depends on accepting the video offences, as they create two more cases of similar offending. You need them over the line IMO

Second, the witness ID from the complainant doesn't seem strong. Blue eyes is a further corroborating factor, but hardly overwhelming.

End of the day, I have no idea what the court will find here.

MOO

After HeB had left court yesterday.

In the afternoon, after Ms Behan had been dismissed, Brückner’s defence presented an expert opinion that peripheral vision can lead to distortion of colour perception and that “in low light no certain colour identification is possible”.

This was disputed by the prosecutor and prompted Judge Uta Engermann to ask Brückner to approach the bench so she could inspect his eyes.

Subsequently she asked all lawyers to inspect photographs of the accused’s leg and thigh area, where Ms Behan claimed she saw a mark of some kind.

In his cross-examination, Mr Fülscher highlighted how, in various witness statements, Ms Behan described the mark variously as a scar, tattoo, birthmark or a clump of material.

“I didn’t know what this marking was, I cannot recall word for word what I said,” said Ms Behan.

Mr Fülscher told the court Brückner had a small scar in his groin area from a testicle operation as a child.

Dear goodness gracious me ... what is the world coming to! The time is long long long past when a consenting adult who may or may not have had CONSENTUAL relations with a partner is denigrated in court having been violated by a vicious rapist who was a stranger to her.

So far I have been of the opinion that Germany had a lot going for it as far as the judicial system is concerned. I am quite disgusted by the acceptance of attitudes towards injured women more appropriate for the past few centuries.

HB wife and mother is not on trial here. CB, proven sexual predator is.

I feel let down by the German court where this is considered an appropriate and tolerated line of defence. Maybe British courts could still teach them a thing or two when it comes to the treatment of women who have been raped.

Dear goodness gracious me ... what is the world coming to! The time is long long long past when a consenting adult who may or may not have had CONSENTUAL relations with a partner is denigrated in court having been violated by a vicious rapist who was a stranger to her.

So far I have been of the opinion that Germany had a lot going for it as far as the judicial system is concerned. I am quite disgusted by the acceptance of attitudes towards injured women more appropriate for the past few centuries.

I feel let down by the German court where this is considered an appropriate and tolerated line of defence. Maybe British courts could still teach them a thing or two when it comes to the treatment of women who have been raped.
From the extract posted it appears that it was the judge asking these questions, not the defence.

Where has HaB been denigrated? No one is denigrating her. She's being asked about the dna traces found in the underwear she was wearing on the evening of the rape. It's her bf's dna. The judge is asking for clarity, that's all. HaB's not being judged in any way whatsoever for having sex, merely being asked if she can recall when she had sex with her bf on the day of the assault/rape. The judge is just doing her job.

Last edited:
Mr Fülscher told the court Brückner had a small scar in his groin area from a testicle operation as a child.

The groin area from a testicle op? Can one of you males on here please clarify how far the male groin area extends! Thanks in advance.

I feel let down by the German court where this is considered an appropriate and tolerated line of defence. Maybe British courts could still teach them a thing or two when it comes to the treatment of women who have been raped

The groin area from a testicle op? Can one of you males on here please clarify how far the male groin area extends! Thanks in advance.
Obviously I'm not a man, but things for sure, there is a mark/scar

If it's an undescended testicle Id venture the scar wouldn't be large, can't think why else he'd be having an op.

But is it anything like she described or in the right area. A scar made in relation to a testicular operation would be low down near the scrotal sac and would normally be obscured by pubic hair.

But is it anything like she described or in the right area. A scar made in relation to a testicular operation would be low down near the scrotal sac and would normally be obscured by pubic hair.
He may have shaved or got waxed

But it would have to be a very visible mark/scar for it to be noticeable. That's why I'm wondering where such a scar from such an op would be on the male body for it to be visible through tights.

In the afternoon, after Ms Behan had been dismissed, Brückner’s defence presented an expert opinion that peripheral vision can lead to distortion of colour perception and that “in low light no certain colour identification is possible”.

And following on from the above, what does 'low light' mean? HaB said she fell asleep in her clothing so that conjures a pic: she came home, tired, lay down, fell asleep, implying a low light from eg. just a lamp rather than eg. a bright overhead light. Or were all the lights off and this low light was light coming from outside street/surrounding building light? And then we have the attack/rape taking place in various parts of her apartment. Were those parts of her apartment lit?

I'm just highlighting the many unknowns here that make it so difficult to follow this case with any confidence that we're privy to the significant surrounding facts.

NB. I'm absolutely not doubting HaB here. I'm just looking for clarity.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahrland
Back