Getting the random grey box/can't post or edit posts thing... again

Sorry I see your list now:

Browser and version? Firefox - not sure of the version, can't figure out where to find that
extensions and versions? not sure where to find this anymore offhand,it used to be simple but now I can't find it.
Toolbars? none installed, none enabled but the standard address bar with back/forward buttons, URL text box, and google search box
JavaScript fully enabled? yes
Using an ? no
Cookies allowed? yes

oh okay now you have to hit "alt" to get the regular menu options to show in firefox. Then you click "help" and "about" and I see I have version 38.0.5

There are 3 different options that users may select for the editor. If you are having problems, go to the top of the page and select - Forum Options>>General Settings>>
Websleuths will now show your options, scroll down to
>>Message Editor Interface

Have a play there and see which one works best for your setup.

Edited to add: I am trying to avoid doing the real trouble shooting myself. In this case it would REALLY be helpful to find somebody someplace that has experienced this and solved it.

Can you humor me and try looking for this bit of code in your ad coding someplace and disabling or removing it?

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ads.saymedia.com/ai017d3c81c7fc970c017c326665a4970b.js?ord='+ Math.random() +

'"></sc'+'ript>');
</script>

If that works I think I can fix that code so it works as well. Maybe.

Actually I just checked your source code myself and you do have that. You need to go ahead and replace that bit of code because it's way too FUBAR'd to use. I have tried several ways to fix it but I just can't figure out the exact issue, it's more complex than just the messed up end script tag. That's the culprit though.

See, here's the code as you have it:

<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ads.saymedia.com/ai017d3c81c7fc970c017c326665a4970b.js?ord='+ Math.random() +

'"></sc'+'ript>');
</script>

And the first thing that jumped out at me is that end script tag that I bolded. It should look just like the other end one below it. but that isn't the only problem.. if you can look for a replacement script for that same ad company I'd go with that. IMHO, FWIW.

Hi GGE,

The code as provided by Say Media is good for a vast majority of browsers however a very small portion of browers experience a problem.

What we have done is blocked Say Media just to be on the safe side.

It may take a while for the block to go into effect therefore you still may see a gray box today.

Thank you,
Tricia

BTW, blocking saymedia won't fix the fact that browsers are trying to execute broken code. I wouldn't doubt your servers are dealing with excess data usage lately from this. But again, I trust that your coding guy is good at what he does, and that now that I've pointed out the somewhat embarrassing and glaring coding error that saymedia put out for their customers to copy and paste, there will be no further issues. You likely had to change the code in not only index.php but the advanced posting box files, etc etc etc... I know it's a hassle, or can be, and I thank you both for your time and effort to try to fix this issue.

I'd volunteer to help but you sound like you have it all fixed up now. :)

I want to start by saying that WS has nothing to do with the code. The code is provided "somewhere" up the line from an ad vendor. This code is not what is provided by any of our ad vendors for us to use, but is inserted from a call made by whichever vendor. Again WS does not include that code or any of the final ad code.

Why is that closing script tag different from what you are used to? Very simple it is a nested script tag and therefore cannot be handled the same way.

To learn more about nested javascript, here is a google search https://www.google.com/search?q=</s...22&ie=UTF-8#q=nested+script+tag+in+javascript

Turning off javascript is not a solution but instead creates more issues. I can offer no assistance to anybody who follows that advice. Instead, I suggest following the instructions at http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ion-Information-to-fix-problems-on-Websleuths This will allow me to track down and eliminate saymedia from being able to advertise.

Finally to clear the other misconceptions, Blocking saymedia will in fact solve the problem(for those where saymedia is the problem). If the code is blocked from ever being placed on any of our pages, why would a browser try to render what you thought was broken code?

This has absolutely nothing to do with "servers are dealing with excess data usage".

I have blocked 1 ad supplier form showing anything saymedia, with the proper information as outlined above I can block another. Yet another may still be serving saymedia, we can again get the proper code for this vendor. At this point there are 3 vendors, 1 blocked, and I will be waiting for you to give me the info on the second. After that we will see what is going on with the 3rd, but they have already told me that though they have a business relationship with saymedia, they do not show ads for them.

All the above said,
1- the code could have been written better, nothing I can do about that, but it is not what I would consider broken. It is proper for most(99.something%) user-agents. But 1 more split script and an escape could have made it 100%.

2- I am unable to help anybody who turns off javascript as any problems a user will encounter will probably be self imposed.

3- I do NOT expect blocking saymedia to solve the problem for most users who are facing it. It very well may for a percentage though.

Hello! Since late last week, the reply box is gray & I cannot type a reply. If you hit 'quick reply' or 'reply with quote' is also is grayed out.
It's happening on many threads. Refreshing does not work all the time. It is very random. I have seen other members mention this problem within threads.

It started happening on the James Holmes thread that I was on Friday during trial. It continued over the weekend on several threads & yesterday, so I PM a forum monitor for assistance & was directed to this thread to read it. Then I went to new posts to read & I am getting the 'greyed out' reply box today again. Came back to this thread & was able to post.

Unfortunately, I do not understand what DaveAHFB is explaining in the post above or what is being discussed with the other member.

All I can tell you is that I'm using the same computer & browser that I've been using & never was unable to reply. Are you saying that I need to get an IT tech guy to read your responses & have him go in & change my computer stuff with the codes & stuff you are recommending? Just so that I am able to participate by replying to posts?

Are you saying that it is an individual problem with each members computers? If so, please give detailed instructions for when I hire an IT person to 'fix' my computer so they know exactly what to do so that I can reply to posts.

I will still be able to read the posts but I will miss posting with the group from James Holmes when the trial resumes on Thursday.
Thanks for assistance to a non-tech person. If it's my computers problem, I would like to get it resolved but will need exact instructions to give the person so he knows how to fix my computer.

Hi MissHaley,

Dave gave us the instructions in post 23 but I have added a few steps to help those who are like me who have zero tech savvy LOL.

Go to the top of your page. See a little bit to your left "Forum Actions". Click on Forum Actions.

After click on Forum Actions a drop down box appears. Click on General Settings. In General Settings scroll down. You will come to "
Miscellaneous Options"

Right below you will see the Message Editor Interface. Inside the message interface box are three choices.

1-Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Edition (by the way that stands for "What you see is what you get")

2-Basic Editor - A simple text box

3-Standard Editor - extra formatting controls..

I've cut and pasted below exactly what it looks like below

Message Editor Interface:

• Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Look at the box you have checked, then try another box. I had "Basic Editor" and I got the Grey box of Doom too. When I changed it to "Enhanced interface" The grey box went away.

Try changing your settings in this area and see if that helps. If not please PM me and let me know.

Tricia

Hello! Since late last week, the reply box is gray & I cannot type a reply. If you hit 'quick reply' or 'reply with quote' is also is grayed out.
It's happening on many threads. Refreshing does not work all the time. It is very random. I have seen other members mention this problem within threads.

It started happening on the James Holmes thread that I was on Friday during trial. It continued over the weekend on several threads & yesterday, so I PM a forum monitor for assistance & was directed to this thread to read it. Then I went to new posts to read & I am getting the 'greyed out' reply box today again. Came back to this thread & was able to post.

Unfortunately, I do not understand what DaveAHFB is explaining in the post above or what is being discussed with the other member.

All I can tell you is that I'm using the same computer & browser that I've been using & never was unable to reply. Are you saying that I need to get an IT tech guy to read your responses & have him go in & change my computer stuff with the codes & stuff you are recommending? Just so that I am able to participate by replying to posts?

Are you saying that it is an individual problem with each members computers? If so, please give detailed instructions for when I hire an IT person to 'fix' my computer so they know exactly what to do so that I can reply to posts.

I will still be able to read the posts but I will miss posting with the group from James Holmes when the trial resumes on Thursday.
Thanks for assistance to a non-tech person. If it's my computers problem, I would like to get it resolved but will need exact instructions to give the person so he knows how to fix my computer.

Hi MissHaley,

Dave gave us the instructions in post 23 but I have added a few steps to help those who are like me who have zero tech savvy LOL.

Go to the top of your page. See a little bit to your left "Forum Actions". Click on Forum Actions.

After click on Forum Actions a drop down box appears. Click on General Settings. In General Settings scroll down. You will come to "
Miscellaneous Options"

Right below you will see the Message Editor Interface. Inside the message interface box are three choices.

1-Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Edition (by the way that stands for "What you see is what you get")

2-Basic Editor - A simple text box

3-Standard Editor - extra formatting controls..

I've cut and pasted below exactly what it looks like below

Message Editor Interface:

• Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
  • Basic Editor - A simple text box
  • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Look at the box you have checked, then try another box. I had "Basic Editor" and I got the Grey box of Doom too. When I changed it to "Enhanced interface" The grey box went away.

Try changing your settings in this area and see if that helps. If not please PM me and let me know.

Tricia

Hi Tricia- I really appreciate your response & help. Your instructions made it very easy to understand so that even I could do it. I had standard editor box checked, so I changed it as you recommended to 'enhanced interface'. I don't know how things got checked there because I wouldn't have known where to find it or what it meant anyway! LOL

I saw post 23, but I had no idea what the 'have a go at it' instruction meant, especially in context of all the other posts talking about things that went over my head.

So far, after changing it this morning, I've read about 4 or 5 different threads & the 'reply box' was all clear! YAY!

Thanks again!

Hi Tricia- I really appreciate your response & help. Your instructions made it very easy to understand so that even I could do it. I had standard editor box checked, so I changed it as you recommended to 'enhanced interface'. I don't know how things got checked there because I wouldn't have known where to find it or what it meant anyway! LOL

I saw post 23, but I had no idea what the 'have a go at it' instruction meant, especially in context of all the other posts talking about things that went over my head.

So far, after changing it this morning, I've read about 4 or 5 different threads & the 'reply box' was all clear! YAY!

Thanks again!

Dear MissHaley,

It is my pleasure.

Believe me I know how intimidating computer issues can be.

If there is anything else we can help you with please do not hesitate to ask.

Tricia

Thanks again!

BBM

Just seconding MissHaley's thanks, Tricia. Although I'm not intimidated by my iPad or laptop, I had the same problem with the instructions in post 23 after reading all the other troubleshooting stuff. Of course, I have to admit that Bessie gave me the link to page 2 of this thread, and if I hadn't gone back to read the whole thread, I would have been fine. Sometimes being thorough doesn't pay off! :) If the fix doesn't stick, I'll be back, but so far so good. Thanks again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back