Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 3 murders, July 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully the doll hasn't real human hair ...

Btw, I noticed, that the victims have different hair colours. It seems, the colour wasn't important to their killer.
Or the photos we've seen of the victims don't represent the color of hair they had when they died. My friends and I frequently dyed our hair when I was that age, and would do it on a whim.

Regardless, I do think he had a preference for red heads

*Did anyone find a thread for the unidentified remains found on Thursday in West Long Island?

The driver was heading eastbound on the Southern State Parkway, got off at Exit 40 to get on the Robert Moses Causeway southbound, and then pulled off onto the grass on the west side of the ramp when the discovery was made near the woods at about 7:15 a.m., police said.

“Something in the wood line caught his eye upon closer look, the individual believed it to be human skeletal remains and called 911,” Capt. Christopher Casale told reporters during a briefing at the scene.
* edited: I found the thread. I’ll copy this over. Thanks @Richrd. Appreciate you.
Is this close to the park where he was following the woman 2 weeks ago? She said he was coming in and out of the woods/trees.

*I’m curious whether any of these searches were developing into some similar path or pattern Heuermann had used in the past:

Further investigation found that the architect had over 200 Google searches regarding the Gilgo murders, which Tierney said led to the investigation being held in secret to not alert the defendant.

“In addition to those Gilgo search, he also impulsively searching pictures of the victims, but not only pictures of the victims, pictures of their relatives, their sisters, their children, and he was trying to locate those individuals,” he said.

Heuermann also had torture *advertiser censored* and depictions of sexual assault in his search history, according to authorities. Tierney said the architect was also still seeking the services of sex workers, which made investigators nervous.

Or the photos we've seen of the victims don't represent the color of hair they had when they died.
Yes, some victims I have seen photos of with different hair colour (for example Valerie/Melissa). Would be lovely to see a list of all identified victims with their height, weight and hair colour at the time of reported missing. It is of course possible that there is a lack of detailed info about some.

Last edited:
So, I'm assuming the kids would have gone with his wife when she was out of town? He wouldn't have brought women back if they were in the house... Would he?!
No. But it's entirely possible that he didn't take the girls back to his house. Many people assume that his victims must have screamed and someone would have heard. That's not necessarily true. We know that Heuemann strangled the 4 Gilgo victims. Screaming is nearly impossible in that scenario. We also know that all 4 of the victims were known drug users, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he drugged them first. We also know that Melissa Barthelemy's phone was traced to two hotels in Massapequa on the night of her murder...a Budget Inn and The Best Western.

By LIZ ROBBINS, New York Times
Published: January 26, 2011

Cellphone records for Ms. Barthelemy traced the calls, which were to her voicemail, to two motels near Massapequa, the Budget Inn and the Best Western , according to the law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing.

Now, there's nothing to say that Melissa herself was at these hotel rooms, but her phone certainly was. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that some of these girls COULD have been taken to motel rooms and murdered there.

All JMO

Last edited:
On thing that sleuths could IMO re-focus on, is possible identifications of the still-unidentified victims. It will hopefully come down to genetic genealogy in the end and they will have their names back anyways. But it would still be useful to look at their profiles once more and re-scan for possible clues or matches - I'm sure the police will be all over it, too, but atm it is possible they prioritize their resources towards convictions in the cases of the 3-4 victims they have most damning evidence on. They might or might not have the same killer - but finding out who they are will also help with identifying their killer.

Fire Island Jane Doe - estimated death 1996 (Namus)
Peaches - death in 1997 (Namus) and her toddler (Namus)*
Gilgo Beach Asian Doe - estimated death 2000-2007 (Namus)
Cherries - death in 2007 (Namus)
Nassau county Jane doe - found January 2013, death time unknown(?) (Namus)

* The FBI has publicly asked for relatives of an Alabama man named Elijah "Lige" Howell or Howard (1927-1963) to come forward as they may recognize this victim and her child. Lige lived with his wife Carrie in Prichard, Alabama

Yes, some victims I have seen photos of with different hair colour (for example Valerie/Melissa). Would be lovely to see a list of all identified victims with their height, weight and hair colour at the time of reported missing. It is of course possible that there is a lack of detailed info about some.

One thing that constantly irritates me is when I hear posters, reporters and even some law enforcement say that ALL of the victims were under 5' tall. It's not true. Megan Waterman was 5' 5". Petite, yes.., but not remarkably short.

ETA: I'm a stickler for details. I guess a lot of things bug me surrounding this case. ;)

As the toll of victims grew and the search expanded, police used horses to reach the remote area, climbed firefighters’ ladders to see over poison ivy-infested thickets, scoured parking ticket records and got aerial surveillance photos from the FBI. Over the years, reward money was offered, FBI experts profiled the killer and evolving DNA techniques were used.
-.-.-

His wife, he testified, dropped him off at a nearby train station in the mornings.
Neighbors puzzled at the rundown home with the overgrown shrubs in their tidy midst, and at the contrast between the house and the businessman who set off from it each weekday with suit and briefcase.
(When he got arrested though, there was no suit and no briefcase; he looked like an -old- student with his dangling messenger bag, IMO.)

Last edited:
One thing that constantly bugs me is when I hear posters, reporters and even some law enforcement say that ALL of the victims were under 5' tall. It's not true. Megan Waterman was 5' 5". Petite, yes.., but not remarkably short.

ETA: I'm a stickler for details. I guess a lot of things bug me surrounding this case. ;)
Especially as the tiny size of these women might be a consequence of the lives they had. So if he targeted sex workers (either because they were sex workers or because they were easier to get or less likely to be reported missing etc), the small size of the victims might be just a statistical consequence of that, not a preference in its own.

On thing that sleuths could IMO re-focus on, is possible identifications of the still-unidentified victims. It will hopefully come down to genetic genealogy in the end and they will have their names back anyways. But it would still be useful to look at their profiles once more and re-scan for possible clues or matches - I'm sure the police will be all over it, too, but atm it is possible they prioritize their resources towards convictions in the cases of the 3-4 victims they have most damning evidence on. They might or might not have the same killer - but finding out who they are will also help with identifying their killer.

Fire Island Jane Doe - estimated death 1996 (Namus)
Peaches - death in 1997 (Namus) and her toddler (Namus)*
Gilgo Beach Asian Doe - estimated death 2000-2007 (Namus)
Cherries - death in 2007 (Namus)
Nassau county Jane doe - found January 2013, death time unknown(?) (Namus)

* The FBI has publicly asked for relatives of an Alabama man named Elijah "Lige" Howell or Howard (1927-1963) to come forward as they may recognize this victim and her child. Lige lived with his wife Carrie in Prichard, Alabama

Especially as the tiny size of these women might be a consequence of the lives they had. So if he targeted sex workers (either because they were sex workers or because they were easier to get or less likely to be reported missing etc), the small size of the victims might be just a statistical consequence of that, not a preference in its own.

I personally do think he had a type, and that included very petite women. But it's also possible that his urge to kill might allow for slight exceptions if the perfect victim wasn't available to him.

JMO

Agreed. Yet he must have some natural hair, hence the DNA evidence cited on pages 30 and 31 of the bail document.
We don't know where on his body the found hair came from. It's not necessarily from his bald head.

(I don't know if he is actually bald, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.)

jmo

Tall and heavyset, Heuermann towered over the law enforcement officers who now surrounded him. As passersby strolled leisurely along the avenue, he was taken into custody without incident in connection with a 13-year homicide investigation involving young female victims on the South Shore of Long Island.

“Yes, the day has finally come when someone so … depraved of heart who would kill individuals, innocent individuals in the prime of their lives, their young lives, is finally brought to justice,” New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said Friday. “We are hoping that this will bring justice to this individual but also peace to the families.”

No. But it's entirely possible that he didn't take the girls back to his house. Many people assume that his victims must have screamed and someone would have heard. That's not necessarily true. We know that Heuemann strangled the 4 Gilgo victims. Screaming is nearly impossible in that scenario. We also know that all 4 of the victims were known drug users, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he drugged them first. We also know that Melissa Barthelemy's phone was traced to two hotels in Massapequa on the night of her murder...a Budget Inn and The Best Western.

By LIZ ROBBINS, New York Times
Published: January 26, 2011

Cellphone records for Ms. Barthelemy traced the calls, which were to her voicemail, to two motels near Massapequa, the Budget Inn and the Best Western , according to the law enforcement official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is continuing.

Now, there's nothing to say that Melissa herself was at these hotel rooms, but her phone certainly was. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that some of these girls COULD have been taken to motel rooms and murdered there.

All JMO
I wonder, if it is really possible for a person (RH) to have a long hair from another person (wife) on him, which by chance falls on a victim just then, when the victim gets tied up. AND it even happened with 3 hairs (plus one from himself, afaik) on two or three victims. I can rather imagine, he was at his home with each victim, where the hairs were scattered (maybe on the bathroom floor if not the bed) and didn't have to be transferred by him.

Is anyone else creeped out by how close Rex Heuermann (born 1964), Joel Rifkin (born 1959) and Joseph Shulman (born 1954) lived to each other and were pretty close in age? All killed SWs. What's in the water in that part of LI?

Joseph Shulman address 11 Glow Lane Hicksville
Joel Rifkin address 1492 Garden Street East Meadow
Rex Heuermann address 501 1st avenue Massapequa Park

Attachments

• Screenshot (504).png
    Screenshot (504).png
    547 KB · Views: 67
Yes, but it is brought out the calls were only weeks before the arrest. That is prolonged gutsy.

I've been wondering who made the calls to John Ray and his family. Rex wasn't aware he was about to be arrested. Why would he have been taunting Ray? Could it have been someone else? It will be interesting to know who made those calls and what prompted them.

We don't know where on his body the found hair came from. It's not necessarily from his bald head.

(I don't know if he is actually bald, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.)

jmo
I think, RH maybe got his hair cut by his wife or another non-hair stylist. He seems to have curly hair, which isn't easy to cut with some style. If not done well enough, it looks like a LEGO hairstyle after combing. ;) When RH is in some stress and sweat (during his arrest), his curls form by themselves. - So, I think, he has still a head full of hair. I maybe wrong of course.

What I find interesting is:

* The atty had been getting taunting calls weeks before the arrest. By a man and a woman.

* Other people say RH didn't have anything to do with the death of a woman who's torso was found. That was Jesica Taylor.

* Yet, John Ray, only represents the families of Shannan Gilbert and Jessica Taylor.

* John Ray was given RH's name and another name as who would be arrested.

* If Shannon Gilbert or Jessica Taylor were not RH's victims, why waste his time taunting the atty and the victims families??

* If Shannon and Jessica were not RH"s victims why would FBI keep John Ray updated on the impending arrest??

MOO there were many many many victims...

Good analysis. JMO, I don't think it was Rex who made the calls to John Ray.

JMO the FBI kept Ray in the loop because he knows so much about these murders, all the victims and the investigation. Ray lobbied for years to make the FBI part of the investigation.

ETA: IIRC, Ray also received a lot of tips over the years and had talked to witnesses who will probably be helpful in prosecuting Rex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeydipp37