GK's convoluted theory... what's yours? Please share!

Did you ever take any pictures or video or anything by chance? Would love to see them if so and possible...

I know now, they completely tore down everything: both sections of the woods, Blue Beacon, Catfish Island....The truck stop is now a hotel.

Each time you visited, did you ever go to the other section of the Robin Hood woods called Devil's Den (in the neighborhood; would be right off Goodwin Street)? This is where the boys were last seen entering, on the other side of the bayou and eastward from the pipe bridge.

Hi Userid, unfortunately, I never thought to take any pictures. It's like the time I went through Dallas, unknowingly along the 1963 JFK motorcade, and right past the school book depository. Never thought to take any pictures. I may be going back in 2016 like I said, and I might remember to bring along a camera and take some pictures of what it looks like now, and compare it to pictures I may be able to find online. I did go over by the other entrance at the end of Goodwin Street, and it was really peaceful there. Of course, I didn't go in, since I was aware of what happened, and felt it wouldn't be right. I left a small wreath a friend had made at the entrance there, though. Going through the neighborhood, I looked at the David Jacoby house, the Hobbs house, and then the Byers and Moore houses. I went up to Bojangles and then to the Flash Market, then took a ride up to Marion and went through Lakeshore and then to my hotel on the other side of the interstate (55). I went to the Family Dollar next door, bought a coke, and went back to watch some tv and get some sleep. The next day, I did the tour again, and located the area where Damien Echols lived south of Broadway (believe me, that's a rough area to drive through). I don't know what I'll be doing next year, but am thinking of taking a few friends along. BTW, my theory will be a little later this week. I spent my birthday in the hospital (again), and didn't get to work on it. I want to get it done and put here before too long. My wife and children are thinking of revoking my privileges. They have some silly notion that I stress myself out too much, and am going to do some kind of damage to myself if I don't slow down. I have no idea what they're talking about! Anyway, gotta go for now, so I can get some supper. Have a great Monday evening...

Okay -- last question: you say you didn't go into the woods near Goodwin (where the boys were last seen) out of respect -- I understand that -- but didn't you also say you ran through the ditch that they were actually found in?

That Devil's Den area would have been my first stop, personally -- I always thought the murders and/or the abduction could have occurred there. I would have wanted to look for clues of some sort, because if it's any indication, the WMPD sure wasn't thorough originally.

Hope you feel better, and Happy Birthday!

Actually, I went down one bank and along the ditch area, and then jumped across and up the other bank, almost falling into the ditch. I really didn't want to do it, but was following my friend, who was showing me different aspects of the whole area. We had entered from the Blue Beacon side of the woods, down to the ditch, crossed it, and up the other side. He showed me the approximate locations of the body discovery sites, and the bent tree as well as the group of trees that are shown in some photos of the site. It really hit me hard, knowing I was walking where someone who killed three little boys had walked and hid their bodies in the ditch I had just jumped across. When we were leaving, heading out toward the diversion creek, and back along the bank, I stopped and offered up a prayer for the families of the little boys, and for them as well. I'm not overly religious, I do believe in God, and the devil, and think that there was definitely one active on May 5-6, 1993. Just not in the way I was taught in Sunday school.

I am rewriting the theory now, and like you, I think the original abduction site was the Devil's Den area, and am incorporating that into my theory. I agree with you that clues could have been found, but law enforcement was steered away by someone on the inside who was watching out for his own best interests. WMPD was definitely a hotbed of corruption in those days; I don't know about now, but in those days, when the blinders came out...

I do feel better, and thanks for the birthday greeting. Of course, I have to keep an eye out for the family, so they don't think I'm "overdoing" myself. But this is important, too, and I would love nothing better than to see this solved before I go meet my Maker. I don't think I will, because I'm sure the one person who could truly end the speculation and rumor mongering will never open his mouth and tell the truth. One of the perpetrators I am almost certain did run off his mouth, but in a way he couldn't be brought to justice. Such a shame, he is a real scum of the earth type of person.

But I digress, and already this is a book rather than just a reply! Sorry for taking so much space and being long-winded, Userid. I hope that you and everyone else here has a terrific Tuesday afternoon/evening!

Aha, that makes more sense to me now (why you'd visit one site and not the other). A profound experience, I can only imagine. I like how you gave a prayer; I would have done the same thing, and I'm not religious as well.

I've just been rewatching all of the documentary movies, and am going over my theory in light of each one, trying to ask questions about each point, and see if it fits my convolutions and gymnastics I have put it through. I just caught something that I wonder about:

Did the jury foreman in the Baldwin/Echols trial (Kent) know Terry? If so, that would make sense as to why he was so hopped up on getting a guilty verdict. If you watch Purgatory (P3), the clerk for the attorney who filed a statement with the court about it, makes the statements that got me to wondering... It's about an hour and five minutes in (or thereabouts). Now I'm wondering if there was a Danny Casolero-type "Octopus" in LE and the judiciary... scary to think about, but must be considered nonetheless, yes? No? Am I crazy and should go back to sitting quietly in the corner?

Sorry I've been away for the last couple of days, had a minor setback. But "every day and in every way, I'm getting better and better..."

Sorry for taking so long to get my convoluted theory back into action. I haven’t forgotten it, my WS friends! I’ve been watching the documentary movies again, trying to see how my theory may fit into what they’ve said, and I am going over the Callahan statements from the major players (JMB, TWH, PH, DM, DJ, among a few others) to see if there are unanswered questions that I haven’t addressed. There seems to be quite a few, including but not limited to:

TH murders CB as a rival for AH affection; SB as a rival for PH affection; MM as collateral damage? Bodies hidden at abandoned house shed or perhaps manholes? TH Uses DJ as alibi; moves one body at 6:30, another at 7:00 (accounts for DJ statements)? Leaves third body until safer to do so, but in the dark misjudges where the other two are, and consequently leaves the body a short distance from the other two? The first is SB, then CB, and finally MM; for the times he has no alibi, was this what he was doing?

Abandoned house used by JKM as part of pedophile “gang” which included LH, CM, and friend who left for CA after murders? Perhaps JMB tumbled to what was happening, as house was also used for drug transactions, and perhaps by WMPD/CC-DTF members who were using house as meeting place and for transactions of their own? Corruption level went as far up as DB, who admitted to receiving items, and presided over DE/JB/JM trials; could it have gone higher up the chain?

Where does KA fit in as foreman of jury? Did he have connections to TH? BJM might have been witness or intended patsy, but was able to escape or might have been involved in separate incident close by? Also, could DE and girlfriend have been in the area, and mistaken for someone else, and LE, in an effort to maintain code of silence over their activities, brought down the boot on them for this crime?

I hope to answer some, if not most, of these questions once my theory has taken final shape, but I will need your help. So I am asking for everyone here to please read through it with a critical eye once I post it (hopefully next week, I am already behind my “deadline” of this week). There are bound to be mistakes, and I am hopeful you will point them out or offer suggestions for those questions I have not answered. Then I can revise the theory further, and perhaps we will have something we can maybe forward to Capi Peck at Arkansas Take Action. Maybe then there will be some kind of action taken based on the information we put together, and they can figure out the questions that need to be addressed to those who can do something about getting those individuals involved investigated and a more thorough investigation done at that, by an impartial LE agency (AR state police, ABI, or some other agency). I don’t know, but something needs to happen, this injustice has gone on too long.

Sorry for the long post, hope I haven’t bored you to tears! Now, as always, back to your original programming…

TH murders CB as a rival for AH affection; SB as a rival for PH affection; MM as collateral damage? Bodies hidden at abandoned house shed or perhaps manholes? TH Uses DJ as alibi; moves one body at 6:30, another at 7:00 (accounts for DJ statements)? Leaves third body until safer to do so, but in the dark misjudges where the other two are, and consequently leaves the body a short distance from the other two? The first is SB, then CB, and finally MM; for the times he has no alibi, was this what he was doing?

Hi GK!

Regarding the above quoted, one of the last sightings of the boys is at 6 PM by Dana Moore (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ebtrial/danam.html). So we know that they had not yet been attacked at that point.

I do agree with the notion that the boys were attacked, hidden somewhere (same place as they were attacked), and then moved to the ditch where they were found at a later point. This would explain several question marks, such as the lack of evidence at the ditch, the "dual" lividity patterns etc.
If we're looking at TH as the perp, then yes, he probably "used" DJ as an alibi at some point. In fact, IIRC, he even tried to use JMB as an alibi, but JMB didn't play ball (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/jmb_declaration.html).

A lot of people consider the ditch a dump site nowadays, and believe that the actual crime took place elsewhere. When looking at other possible locations, such as sheds, trucks, abandoned houses etc., I think it's important to ask ourselves "why that particular ditch?". If the boys were attacked and "abducted" out of the woods, then why go back and dump them in that small ditch when you've got the Mississippi right round the corner more or less?! Why that particular ditch and not somewhere completely different?! How random is it not, to pick that tiny ditch in that small patch of woods, if the bodies were stored somewhere completely different?! It would've been risky enough to move the bodies within the woods, imagine trying to transport the bodies to woods (it would have been in more or less plain sight). The simplest answer (to me) would be, because the bodies were already right there in those woods.

Furthermore, this leads me to think that a.) the perp was somewhat familiar with the area b.) the perp may at some point have participated in the search efforts in order to know when it would be safe to move the bodies and be certain places. Also, if not too familiar with the area initially, the perp could have located the ditch, and further familiarized with the area, when participating in the search.

I hope this has helped with any revision of your theory! :)

Hi GK!

Regarding the above quoted, one of the last sightings of the boys is at 6 PM by Dana Moore (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ebtrial/danam.html). So we know that they had not yet been attacked at that point.

I do agree with the notion that the boys were attacked, hidden somewhere (same place as they were attacked), and then moved to the ditch where they were found at a later point. This would explain several question marks, such as the lack of evidence at the ditch, the "dual" lividity patterns etc.
If we're looking at TH as the perp, then yes, he probably "used" DJ as an alibi at some point. In fact, IIRC, he even tried to use JMB as an alibi, but JMB didn't play ball (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/jmb_declaration.html).

A lot of people consider the ditch a dump site nowadays, and believe that the actual crime took place elsewhere. When looking at other possible locations, such as sheds, trucks, abandoned houses etc., I think it's important to ask ourselves "why that particular ditch?". If the boys were attacked and "abducted" out of the woods, then why go back and dump them in that small ditch when you've got the Mississippi right round the corner more or less?! Why that particular ditch and not somewhere completely different?! How random is it not, to pick that tiny ditch in that small patch of woods, if the bodies were stored somewhere completely different?! It would've been risky enough to move the bodies within the woods, imagine trying to transport the bodies to woods (it would have been in more or less plain sight). The simplest answer (to me) would be, because the bodies were already right there in those woods.

Furthermore, this leads me to think that a.) the perp was somewhat familiar with the area b.) the perp may at some point have participated in the search efforts in order to know when it would be safe to move the bodies and be certain places. Also, if not too familiar with the area initially, the perp could have located the ditch, and further familiarized with the area, when participating in the search.

I hope this has helped with any revision of your theory! :)

Hello Graznik! Thank you for helping with my revision... it's been slow going, as I've had a few problems, and now we are supposed to get between 1-2 feet of snow up here in Maine. So my family is moving me to an assisted living facility for one month to overcome the next two or three rounds of snow we are supposed to get here. I have been using Callahan's, the documentaries, and websites both for and against the WM3, comparing everything to Callahan's, of course, since they seem to be totally impartial in presenting the documentation and not opinionated blogs. I've also been working on checking out the various threads here at WS, since there are a lot of good presenters here, with invaluable information. If you don't mind, I'd like to work your information into my theory and see what all we can develop between the lot of us, and maybe have something that is more believable than the case that was put together so shoddily back in 1993. Thanks in advance!
And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Oh dear, stay safe! The other night the news had a reporter out in NYC but they lost the connection cause all of her equipment froze...

Callahans is the best place. In fact, it's the place as it's just the case files. But with that amount of information... You kind of need forums and such to be able to filter through it all.
If you haven't read all of the trial transcripts I would highly recommend that.

Feel free to work in any of my thoughts or any information I have provided. I'd be happy to help with whatever I can.

So I'm having trouble with some logic here. Not with you guys but with the situation. So if we say TH had something important to do with the crimes then let's think about this. In multiple interviews he states he was never in the robin hood woods before that night. He also writes in his diary something to the effect of we'll never know why the searches centered on the woods. (I'm thinking he doth protest a bit much) The woods were a hot spot because it was one of the last places they were seen. So basically he either is telling the truth and had not been in the woods but is taking a huge risk on fatally attacking three boys and then covering up a crime in an area he doesn't know or he's flat out lying. I'm not sure. There's woods near my home I've lived at a decade or so that I have never stepped into. So it's possible. But also if he followed the kids into the woods and cornered them and attacked them. He's also taking a huge risk that he wasn't seen by neighbors following them. So this all leads me to they were attacked elsewhere and transported to the ditch.

Oh dear, stay safe! The other night the news had a reporter out in NYC but they lost the connection cause all of her equipment froze...

Callahans is the best place. In fact, it's the place as it's just the case files. But with that amount of information... You kind of need forums and such to be able to filter through it all.
If you haven't read all of the trial transcripts I would highly recommend that.

Feel free to work in any of my thoughts or any information I have provided. I'd be happy to help with whatever I can.

Thank you, Graznik. Sorry I've been away, it took a few days to settle in and get everything I needed situated. My room has a nice view of the construction going on for the new gas lines. I enjoy Callahan's, use it a lot. Plus some other sites just to keep myself honest (if a little less un-balanced). I am almost done with timeline and alibi comparisons to documents, but know it needs a lot more work. So it's through the forums I will roam, looking to see what I can find out there. But I promise, it's coming!

So I'm having trouble with some logic here. Not with you guys but with the situation. So if we say TH had something important to do with the crimes then let's think about this. In multiple interviews he states he was never in the robin hood woods before that night. He also writes in his diary something to the effect of we'll never know why the searches centered on the woods. (I'm thinking he doth protest a bit much) The woods were a hot spot because it was one of the last places they were seen. So basically he either is telling the truth and had not been in the woods but is taking a huge risk on fatally attacking three boys and then covering up a crime in an area he doesn't know or he's flat out lying. I'm not sure. There's woods near my home I've lived at a decade or so that I have never stepped into. So it's possible. But also if he followed the kids into the woods and cornered them and attacked them. He's also taking a huge risk that he wasn't seen by neighbors following them. So this all leads me to they were attacked elsewhere and transported to the ditch.

Hi Justiceseeker35, and thank you for your contribution. I know, there is no real logic in this case (although I'm sure there must be, I just haven't found it yet). I am on the fence about TH for several reasons: selective amnesia (I don't recall, I don't know, I can't remember), evasion and distraction (I can't answer that, Seems to me...), and his behavior during the Pasdar deposition. Altogether I am not sure about him; but then, I'm not sure about anything in this case, which is why my big fat butt is stuck firmly on the fence... But I do agree with you, they were transported to the ditch. Attacked elsewhere? Abducted from the area and then returned after the deed was done? I really can't say with any certainty, but if the theory I am asking for help with does get anywhere near finished, maybe it might answer a few questions. Right now, I've almost finished timeline and alibi comparisons. My head hurts, but I've got Tylenol for that... Thanks again for your contribution, it is appreciated!!!

This has been mentioned in this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...vid-Jacoby-Statements&p=11241132#post11241132
If we actually look at some of the stuff he says, he really isn't letting us know anything tbh. Very evasive answers.
And I think it's absolute BS that he didn't know about those woods. Like you said yourself, you live right by a patch of woods, and even though you've never actually been in them you know OF them. Furthermore, he drove an ice cream van for a living. He would have had to have driven by them at some point, on the service road/interstate.

Yes, but any crime always involves a certain degree of risk. If the perp would have abducted them, that would've presented pretty much the same risk. Either way, the perp got away with it.

This has been mentioned in this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...vid-Jacoby-Statements&p=11241132#post11241132
If we actually look at some of the stuff he says, he really isn't letting us know anything tbh. Very evasive answers.
And I think it's absolute BS that he didn't know about those woods. Like you said yourself, you live right by a patch of woods, and even though you've never actually been in them you know OF them. Furthermore, he drove an ice cream van for a living. He would have had to have driven by them at some point, on the service road/interstate.

Yes, but any crime always involves a certain degree of risk. If the perp would have abducted them, that would've presented pretty much the same risk. Either way, the perp got away with it.

Right so I'm thinking he knew of the woods but had not actually gone to that exact spot they were found before that night. I think he was playing with technicalities as would someone who is very familiar with lying and distorting the truth. But he knew the general lay out of the woods, the truck stop the service roads and the land marks. Just like near my home a small patch of woods behind the houses that leads to a main road I know the general layout because I drive by them daily.

Okay, here goes with part one... a timeline and alibi statements for TWH, with statements made by PH and DJ thrown in to compare and contrast with TWH's memory of what happened when. Please notice this is not complete, nor finished, but a work in progress. As I said before, please give all the help you can... and thanks in advance.

May 5, 1993 started out like any other day in West Memphis, Arkansas; by the end of the next day, three little boys would be found dead in a drainage ditch and a town would soon be gripped with a “Satanic panic” mentality. Timelines for most of the individuals involved in this horrid set of events on the day of May 5 can be readily established; several individuals’ timelines are questionable. Conjectures are strictly a matter of personal opinion; do not consider these as factual or anything more than speculation. The following paragraphs contain information gleaned from the various depositions and statements given by TWH, PH, and DJ. This in no way should be considered an official statement of fact, although the statements are taken from official documents available at http://www.callahan.com associated with each individual noted. Any other sources used will also be noted. I apologize for the length and constant citation, but I am attempting to compose a coherent and viable timeline for all individuals connected in any way to this horrendous event. Please bear with me, and if anyone has anything to suggest, add, delete, edit, correct, whatever… please let me know so it will be right! Thank you so much in advance for your help and patience, it is very much appreciated.

One of the step-fathers (hereafter called TWH) claimed to have arrived home from work between 3:00-3:30 pm (http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/t_hobbs_interview.pdf). His step-son (to be known as SB) was supposed to be home, but until 4:30 pm he claimed to have been looking for him in the neighborhood area (ibid). His wife at the time (called here PH) stated that TWH came home from work between 4:25-4:30 pm (http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/pam_hobbs_interview.pdf; cf. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/p_hobbs_declaration1.html). These two claims are contradictory. According to her statement, they left with their daughter (to be known as AH) around 4:45 pm, stopping briefly by the house of a friend (known as DM hereafter) of their son to see if he was there; then they went to drop her off for her shift from 5:00-9:00 pm (ibid.). TWH’s statement is almost the same, adding that he saw the friend’s sister (to be known as dM, to avoid confusion with the mother), and returned after 5:00 pm to their house to see if SB had also returned there (http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/t_hobbs_interview.pdf).

Finding that he hadn’t, he and AH then drove around the neighborhood looking for him and his friends (to be known as CB and MM). This took place from between 5:00-5:30 pm until approximately 6:00 pm (ibid.). At this point, there is a conflict with PH’s statement that he told her DM and dM had come by their house around 5:00-5:30 pm (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/p_hobbs_declaration1.html). He also claimed that between 5:30-6:00 pm he had taken AH home and they walked the neighborhood looking for SB. DJ, who was considered to be TWH’s alibi witness, also seemed to have difficulty with times. He stated that TWH arrived at his house sometime between 5:00-6:00 pm with AH, at which time he may or may not have seen SB, CB, and MM in the street behind TWH and AH. In another statement, DJ claimed TWH and AH arrived, came inside, and he and TWH played guitars for a while. These discrepancies need to be resolved in order to provide a truly cohesive statement that could be acceptable. At 6:00 pm he and AH were either home or he had left her at DJ’s and gone home to see if SB had returned. (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/d_jacoby_int.html; cf. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/d_jacoby_declaration.html).

DJ mentioned that at some time between 6:00-7:00 pm he had asked where SB was, and TWH stated he was out with his friends (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/d_jacoby_declaration.html). TWH has also maintained that DM and dM came by his house at 6:00 pm and he followed them back to their house. Again, these statements conflict, and since there were children missing, need to be verified somehow to establish a proper timeline (http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/t_hobbs_interview.pdf). TWH seems to have quite a selectively faulty memory, so perhaps DM could clear up the confusion where she and dM are concerned.

Shortly after 6:00 pm, while at DM’s house, the step-father (hereafter called JMB) of CB arrived. At this point, TWH believes he had called the WMPD to report SB as missing (ibid.). TWH left DM’s house and with AH drove around the neighborhood once again looking for the missing boys, but does not give a time or the duration of this search. At one point, TWH stated he drove AH to DJ’s house, staying only long enough to drop off AH and the two of them went out driving in the neighborhood looking for the three missing boys (ibid.). PH said TWH made the statement that he went into the woods searching for the boys (this would be sometime between 6:00-6:30 pm based on her statement, http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/p_hobbs_declaration1.html).

However, if this was the case, then events already mentioned are thrown into question; therefore, TWH’s statements need to be clarified in order to adhere to a sensible timeline. DJ states that TWH said SB was supposed to be home by dark and said he (TWH) would go home to see if he returned. DJ says this took place sometime between 6:00-6:30 pm, which further contradicts statements made by TWH (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/d_jacoby_declaration.html). (In addition, TWH seems to be confused at what time SB was supposed to be home; first it was 4:30 pm before PH left for work (http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/t_hobbs_interview.pdf). Now he is supposed to be home at dark; if so, then why look for him between 6:30-7:00 pm, when it did not get dark for almost another hour?) Additionally, TWH stated that he searched the neighborhood and the woods until the early morning hours, but no one else has corroborated this claim (ibid.). DJ claimed that TWH returned after 6:30 pm, and together they searched by car for approximately 10-15 minutes, after which TWH dropped him off at home and left alone (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/d_jacoby_declaration.html). At an unspecified time, TWH came back, picked up DJ once again, and they drove around once more. Around 7:45 pm they returned to DJ’s house and TWH took AH (ibid.); however, this conflicts with another statement that he and TWH were driving around and searching for the missing boys (http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/t_hobbs_interview.pdf).

In his statements, TWH claimed AH and he drove to the restaurant where PH worked to pick her up at 9:00 pm. PH corroborates this statement, but adds that TWH left AH in the car, passed by her and went to the telephone to place a call, ostensibly to the police, while she took two pieces of candy to the car for AH and SB (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/p_hobbs_declaration1.html, cf. http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/pam_hobbs_interview.pdf). It was at this point that she discovered the fact that SB had been missing that afternoon and into the evening hours.

With all of the conflicting statements made by various individuals, this timeline and any alibi that may result is open to interpretation and needs verification and clarification, not obfuscation. By having such a faulty memory, and clashing as he does with others who have given statements concerning their movements and recollections of that evening, TWH opens himself up to charges of possible involvement in the disappearance (and murder) of the true West Memphis Three – SB, CB and MM. His appearance in the Pasdar deposition was truly a masterpiece of amnesia at work. In response to various questions posed by the attorneys for Natalie Maines Pasdar, he responded with the following:

Response: Number of times:
I don't recall 34 times
I don’t know 212 times
I’m just guessing 9 times
I don’t remember 73 times
I can’t remember 3 times
I’m not sure 160 times

Question: Do you recall…? Answer: No 100 times

(Many thanks to Cher Lockholmes of WebSleuths for this accounting.)

That's it for the first installment of the timelines and alibis... next up, everyone's favorite redneck and stomping boy of the first two PL films, JMB...
:seeya:

I'm impressed, GK! That is really well put together and well written, with references and all.

Off of the top of my head, I'd like to mention the Jamie Clark Ballard statement if you haven't read it yet: http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/affidavit_jamie_clark_ballard.pdf (whether this statement is realiable or not is up to each and everyone to decide for themselves).
I struggle to organise fragmented pieces of information. I can see it all in front of me, in my minds eye, but I often struggle to contextualise and put the fragments together in a "greater flow of information". After having read your summary, JCBs statement actually fits in really well. A lot of focus has been on whether or not the boys were present or not, not the fact that this fits perfectly with DJs statement. This could, unintentionally, corroborate that part of DJs statement.
However, her statement has been discussed to some extent and some people don't rate it at all.

Also, don't forget that DM and dM saw the boys going north on 14th street at 6PM. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/danam.html
Out of all the sightings of the boys, I rate DMs the highest.

Right so I'm thinking he knew of the woods but had not actually gone to that exact spot they were found before that night. I think he was playing with technicalities as would someone who is very familiar with lying and distorting the truth. But he knew the general lay out of the woods, the truck stop the service roads and the land marks. Just like near my home a small patch of woods behind the houses that leads to a main road I know the general layout because I drive by them daily.

Exactly! And as he participated in the search efforts, stating himself that he searched the woods, he didn't really need any previous knowledge of the area. It's not a big patch of woods. If he wasn't aware of the small ditch beforehand, it wouldn't have taken him long to find it that night.

I too live by a small patch of woods, separated from the building I live in by a road and some train tracks (gotta love living in a big city...). Ain't got the first clue about what they look like from the inside, but because of my minor knowledge of the general area (even though I've only lived here for four months) I know roughly where to enter and where to get out even though I've never sat a foot in or near them. All I've really done is driven past them on 2 out of 3 sides. Again, knowledge of the general layout of the area would suffice.

I'm impressed, GK! That is really well put together and well written, with references and all.

Off of the top of my head, I'd like to mention the Jamie Clark Ballard statement if you haven't read it yet: http://callahan.8k.com/pdf/affidavit_jamie_clark_ballard.pdf (whether this statement is realiable or not is up to each and everyone to decide for themselves).
I struggle to organise fragmented pieces of information. I can see it all in front of me, in my minds eye, but I often struggle to contextualise and put the fragments together in a "greater flow of information". After having read your summary, JCBs statement actually fits in really well. A lot of focus has been on whether or not the boys were present or not, not the fact that this fits perfectly with DJs statement. This could, unintentionally, corroborate that part of DJs statement.
However, her statement has been discussed to some extent and some people don't rate it at all.

Also, don't forget that DM and dM saw the boys going north on 14th street at 6PM. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/danam.html
Out of all the sightings of the boys, I rate DMs the highest.

Thanks for the support of the work, Graznik! It took me a while, but I'm glad it's done. Now, on to JMB and his section, then a few others, and then the composite theory trying to incorporate everything into one (hopefully) sensible and coherent theory. Thanks for reminding me about the Ballard statement, I'd forgotten about that, and I do have a sightings list that I will put here before the theory, so maybe we can sort out which ones will be more reliable than others. I'll definitely go into the Ballard statement and see how well it correlates to the TWH timeline and alibis statement I put up... Thanks again, Graznik!

I apologize for the time lag between posts. I was recently moved to assisted living quarters, and a short time later I woke up in a strange white room with a lot of cross-stitching on my torso. I like cross-stitch as much as anyone, but this kept me from doing much until this week, and only in short bursts. I have finished the next segment in the convoluted mess of the times that were... happy reading! And as always, please help me make sense of this with any suggestions, additions, deletions, etc. Thanks so much! And Happy Valentine's Day to everyone, especially CR, Ausgirl, and Graznik. May you have a wonderful day spent with the ones you love!

May 5, 1993 started out like any other day in West Memphis, Arkansas; by the end of the next day, three little boys would be found dead in a drainage ditch and a town would soon be gripped with a “Satanic panic” mentality. Timelines for most of the individuals involved in this horrid set of events on the day of May 5 can be readily established; several individuals’ timelines are questionable. Conjectures are strictly a matter of personal opinion; do not consider these as factual or anything more than speculation. The following paragraphs contain information gleaned from the various depositions and statements given by JMB, RC, and MM among others. This in no way should be considered an official statement of fact, although the statements are taken from official documents available at http://www.callahan.com associated with each individual noted. Any other sources used will also be noted. I apologize for the length and constant citation, but I am attempting to compose a coherent and viable timeline for all individuals connected in any way to this horrendous event. Please bear with me, and if anyone has anything to suggest, add, delete, edit, correct, whatever… please let me know so it will be right! Thank you so much in advance for your help and patience, it is very much appreciated.

JMB gave statements and depositions concerning his whereabouts from 3 pm May 5th until the early morning hours of May 6th. The narrative of his locations and companions begins with his return home from a clinic between 3:00-3:30 pm (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). CB did not have a key to the house, so the arrangement was that RC would let him in on the days that JMB was not at home. On this date, however, RC notes he was not there until after JMB had arrived (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html, cf. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ryanclark.html). CB’s grandfather stated that he was headed up to Weaver Elementary School when he encountered JMB, who told him he was on his way to pick up CB (Devil’s Knot, 312). However, in a statement given by JMB, he stated that he and RC waited until 3:50 pm for CB at the house, at which time they left for court, where RC was a witness. JMB was at the court until approximately 4:50 pm, which a neighbor, CR, verified in her own statement. However, RC’s statement does not mention this period of time, so this is a conflict which may be resolved by JMB’s presence in another part of the court, out of sight of RC, but seen by CR (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ryanclark.html, cf. http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html).

JMB claims to have left to pick up MB from where she worked in Memphis. RC corroborated this in his statement, adding that JMB would also be looking for CB (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). CR also states that JMB left around 5:00 pm (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). Between 5:10-5:30 JMB and MB returned from Memphis, to find that CB attempted to get into the house through a window in the carport, but was unable to get inside. Upon leaving to go back to court and pick up RC, JMB saw CB in the street on his skateboard. JMB took CB back home, punished him with a spanking (two or three licks) and told him to clean the carport (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). This is attested to by MB, and BP remembers CB telling him he had been whipped by his father and was going to run away (http://callahan.8k.com/images/posey.jpg, cf. http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). RC recalled that JMB told him that CB had broken the window seal, and CR remembers JMB being angry that CB had broken the window in an attempt to get inside, and took food that was within reach. MB verified the approximate time and discovery and testified to it (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html).

JMB returned to the court to pick up RC and return to their house in West Memphis. CR thought he was back at the court around 6:30 pm; however, RC stated they returned home close to 6:00 pm. CB was not at home (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ryanclark.html, cf. http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). Sometime between 6:00-6:30 pm, JMB states that he began looking for CB around the yard and calling neighbors to see if they knew where he was. MB and RC verified this statement in their own statements (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). Failing to locate CB in the immediate neighborhood, JMB along with MB and RC began driving around the larger neighborhood area looking for CB from approximately 6:30-7:30 pm. They recalled specifically looking on the following streets: Ingram, Goodwin, Wilson and McAuley. JMB remembered only one family in this initial search, and claimed that he asked if they knew where SB lived. However, CG and his mother stated that RC was the one they spoke with at that time, and perhaps as late as 8:00 pm (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/cgarner.html). They also remembered MB, but do not specifically mention JMB at that time. BP does, however, mention JMB asking him if he knew where CB was shortly after CB left, and stated he would have to “whip him again” (http://callahan.8k.com/images/posey.jpg). At some point during this time, JS said JMB talked with police officers outside the Flash Market at 6:30 pm, although JMB does not mention this encounter. But there is no mention of this encounter from RC, MB, or the police officers either (the official police log puts Officers Meek and Covington there at that time) (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html, cf. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/jmb1.html).

Picking up again at 7:30 pm, JMB states he met a black officer in front of the Dollar General store on Broadway, which both MB and RC verify happening. However, no police officer confirms this encounter, and JMB, MB and RC did not identify the police officer by name. (See the statements above. This incident should be corroborated by investigation of police logs to see which officer it could have been, and exactly which encounter took place when. It appears to me that there is a bit of confusion here, but that is just my own opinion.) Just before 8:00 pm, JMB telephoned the Sheriff’s Department, spoke with the dispatcher and informed him of the situation. Asked where he lived, JMB told him and was referred to the West Memphis Police Department. (It is interesting to note that JMB did not call the WMPD in the first place, but rather the Crittenden County Sheriff’s Department. Is this indicative of some conflict of interest on JMB’s part? Perhaps this question should be pursued further.) JMB then called the WMPD sometime between 8:10-8:30 pm. Officer RM responded, as indicated by the police log, and verified by RM, MB, RC and DM, who also reports her son missing (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/jmb1.html, cf. http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html).

After RM left JMB and company, JMB described going door-to-door in the neighborhood in an attempt to find the missing boys, encountering a little boy and girl that CB played with who said they saw them going into the Robin Hood Woods area. However, these children are not identified, so this part of JMB’s statement cannot be verified until further information is forthcoming (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html; is it possible this little girl could be KW and the little boy could be BP?). Also, at some point after 8:30 pm, JMB and RC meet up with DM and TWH near DM’s house. They decide to search the woods. RC does not include this meeting in his statement, nor does DM or TWH corroborate JMB’s statement in this regard. JMB also names RM and BS, friends of RC, as helping them to search an area “where the loop is” (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). Interestingly enough, RM, BS, another friend of RC’s, RY and BS’s mother are mentioned in each other’s statements, but JMB does not figure in any of them (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ryanclark.html, cf. http://callahan.8k.com/images/richiem.jpg; http://callahan.8k.com/images/young_r_01.jpg and http://callahan.8k.com/images/young_r_02.jpg; http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/brias.html; http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). MB corroborates a portion of JMB’s statement, although neither are clear on the time.

JMB returned home around 9:00 pm after this search of Robin Hood Woods in order to change out of his shorts and flip-flops into boots and coveralls. MB testified in court that JMB had been wearing the shorts and flip-flops but did not testify as to his changing clothes (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). After changing, JMB meets Officer JM at approximately 9:45 pm and they search the Robin Hood Hills together. JM’s log confirms this, and he testified to it in court (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html). Returning home at 11:00 pm, JMB called WMPD and spoke to RM to get an update; however, RM did not verify this statement. JMB then called the Sheriff’s Department once more looking for assistance in searching for the missing boys. After these phone calls, JMB claims he and RC drove to the back of the Blue Beacon Truck Wash and JMB went down to the drainage ditch while RC waited in the car. JMB claims to have encountered two black men. RC, however, did not mention this trip in his statement (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html, cf. http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ryanclark.html). Considering this is the area in which the bodies of the boys would be found the next afternoon, this omission on RC’s part while included in JMB’s statement is very strange indeed. RC did mention that upon coming out of the Robin Hood Woods with BS, RY and RM, BS’s mother was there and they went back to RC’s house to see if CB had come home. They also searched a few empty houses in the area before returning at midnight, when JMB told RC to go to bed (http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/ryanclark.html). RC’s testimony seemingly contradicts JMB’s recollections on these points; however, the manager of the Blue Beacon Truck Wash mentioned hearing a gunshot and then noted that at 10:00 pm a man with two young males were looking for the man’s son, and were in a small car, a Toyota, an older model. In court, SK, the manager, stated he left work between 9:00-10:00 pm. JMB did not drive a Toyota, but an Isuzu; further, MB testified to the incident in court, although her testimony clearly shows she was not there (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html).

Picking up JMB’s narrative at approximately midnight, he and RC returned to the house. After a period of time a car backfired on Wilson Road. He met SB’s grandfather, DM, TWH and a friend of TWH and they talked for a while then returned to the woods to make another search. Although this search is mentioned in Blood of Innocents (42), there is no other corroboration for this search. Sometime between 1:30-1:45 am, JMB and MB meet “Sergeant B.” Captain B was the CO for the midnight shift, and being such, probably spent most of the overnight shift at the police station. The dispatch logs for that shift show him dispatched several times (11:53 and 11:57 pm; 12:45, 3:26 and 4:06 am). Although Captain B provides no documentation for a meeting with JMB and MB, it is possible he left the station during the time JMB states. However, MB does not verify this meeting in her statements of the event of that night. JMB said that after 1:45 am TH showed up at the JMB house; JMB, TH, and MB went via the Service Road to the Mid-Continent Building. Again, there is no corroboration for this event, TH was not interviewed, and MB does not mention this event at all (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html).

JMB next returns home around 2:00 or 3:00 am. TH leaves to search around the neighborhood a few more times. JMB says they sat down to wait for daylight, and MB verifies his statement somewhat, but is unsure of the exact time. However, in another statement, JMB states to have been out until 4:30 am searching for the missing boys, at one point walking within 10-15 feet of the discovery site, but not seeing them in the water (West Memphis Evening Times article, May 7, 1993). What is interesting but left unclear is how JMB knew the location of the bodies since that are had been barricaded with police tape; perhaps he ignored the tape, but still to be explained is his knowledge of where the bodies were found to within 15 feet of where he was walking (http://www.jivepuppi.com/john_mark_byers_2.html).

There are a number of conflicting statements made by various individuals, this timeline and any alibi that may result is open to interpretation and needs more verification. By making conflicting statements concerning that evening, JMB opens himself up to charges of possible involvement in the disappearance (and murder) of the true West Memphis Three – SB, CB and MM. This is not to say that he was involved, but it does cast a shadow of suspicion on him all the same. Perhaps if he were to explain several of his statements, such as his knowledge of the location of the bodies without having seen the recovery site, and the conflicting statements of RC and his own recollections, there might be less controversy. The PL films also did not help his cause very much; of course, everyone has since moved onto another of the stepfathers, so for now JMB is off the official “hook” but must still remain on the radar until clarification is forthcoming.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back