Glen Campbell diagnosed with Alzheimer's

two of his guests that i was glad to see on his show...Duke and David Cassidy!

I didn't see David Cassidy. I'll have to look for that on a DVD.

I assume you meant THe Duke, John Wayne. Glen tells a nice story about John Wayne coming on his show. John's daughter was a big fan of Glen's and John was impressed with Glen about that. He wanted his daughter to meen Glen, get autograph, etc. Glen said he couldn't believe the Duke even knew who he was!

I think Glen admits to some HORRIBLE years of drinking, drugs and violence. Part of that involved Tanya Tucker. Years later he would have a conversion and turn his life around. He claims his current wife really inspired him to sober up and turn to Christ.

Stellar career and a most troubled personal past.

His music (guitar or later as singer) sits on one of the higher shelves.

I wish the best for him.

I wish the best for he and his family as well.

He did have a troubled past, shana. My husband was called to a motel in Shreveport one night and found Glen and Tanya had torn up a motel room. He did not arrest them, though. (husband was night commander)

A couple of weeks later the same thing happened in Arkansas and I believe he was arrested then. Tanya was a factor in that one also. He later overcame his wild side!

At any rate, Glen Campbell has tremendous talent. This illness is devastating for he and his family. GB all of them.

Not to draw attention to it, but his mugshot used to be at the top of the page when you asked thesmokinggun to show you those pix. : - (

Sending well wishes to Glen and his family this night...remembering the good, the best!

http://www.wthr.com/story/16375388/glen-campbell-grammy-lifetime-achievement

Glen Campbell - Grammy lifetime achievement

SANTA MONICA - While he still can appreciate it, the Grammy people are giving Glen Campbell their highest honor.

It's the Recording Academy's lifetime achievement award. The academy says Campbell and several others including, George Jones, the Allman Brothers and Diana Ross, are being honored because their "talents and achievements have had an indelible impact" on the recording industry.

In June, Campbell revealed he'd been diagnosed with Alzheimer's six months earlier. He's released more than 70 albums in his career.

He's won five Grammys.

I do hope this is not another example of a family dragging out a distasteful tug of war during the last days of another legends life.

I don't get the same vibe from Campbell's wife as I did from Jean Kasem. I certainly don't think she should be beaten up for deciding to put him in a full time care facility. Dealing with this horrible disease full time is far more difficult than many people realize.

I can't say I was a huge fan with the exception of "Galveston" which, to this day, I believe is the single most poignant and moving song about the Vietnam War ever performed by any artist in any genre.

And I, and thousands of other Country Music fans, will be forever grateful to him for giving Alan Jackson his first real break into the music business.

I had neighbors try and care for elderly parents with alzheimers. It's incredibly difficult.

I may be the odd man out, but I found it odd, an out of town adult child was away and pointing fingers. It's real easy to sit back and complain about what others are doing, or not doing..... What exactly is she doing for her dad these days? Is she willing to put her life on hold and care for him 24/7?

I have to agree with his wife. It sounds like she is making sure he has the best care possible given the circumstances.

Anyone who has tried to live with a alz patient knows it ain't easy. They never sleep, are up and down all the time. Cutting on the stove, trying to cook, trying to get out of the house. (or at least that was our experience) The family living out of town should not criticize his wife, cause it seems like she's had him at home for several years. Wonder how often they visit him? Maybe they should visit the new facility and his doctor, then they would know what's going on.

I just hope this is not all about the money. This kind of care is expensive and they may be thinking about their inheritance.

It definitely doesn't sound like Kim Campbell is pulling any funny business with her husband's care. He is much safer, it seems, in the care of professionals-I think his daughter is worried about her inheritance, because of the huge cost of long-term care. Isn't it always the family members who live far away, that know best how to care for their "loved one"?

I had neighbors try and care for elderly parents with alzheimers. It's incredibly difficult.

I may be the odd man out, but I found it odd, an out of town adult child was away and pointing fingers. It's real easy to sit back and complain about what others are doing, or not doing..... What exactly is she doing for her dad these days? Is she willing to put her life on hold and care for him 24/7?

I have to agree with his wife. It sounds like she is making sure he has the best care possible given the circumstances.

It's weird---with this disease, it's quite common for the uninvolved relatives to regularly complain and accuse the real caregiver of being cruel or not taking proper care of the person with the disease.

It's actually a good use of his financial resources to place him---hiring private 24/7 aides is far more expensive than a good nursing home and private aides can't provide the activities and social stimulation a facility can. The only thing I'd be concerned about with him is someone from the media attempting to see him (like when the Enquirer took Brooke Shields' mother with Alzheimer's out of her facility for an outing).

God bless Mr. Campbell's wife, she's doing the best that a person can - there will always be comments from the peanut gallery, unfortunately.

I do hope this is not another example of a family dragging out a distasteful tug of war during the last days of another legends life.

I don't get the same vibe from Campbell's wife as I did from Jean Kasem. I certainly don't think she should be beaten up for deciding to put him in a full time care facility. Dealing with this horrible disease full time is far more difficult than many people realize.

I can't say I was a huge fan with the exception of "Galveston" which, to this day, I believe is the single most poignant and moving song about the Vietnam War ever performed by any artist in any genre.

And I, and thousands of other Country Music fans, will be forever grateful to him for giving Alan Jackson his first real break into the music business.
Guess I was too little to understand, I always thought "Galveston" was written about Galveston, Texas, which was a horrible place when I visited it when I was 10.

Guess I was too little to understand, I always thought "Galveston" was written about Galveston, Texas, which was a horrible place when I visited it when I was 10.

It was about missing Galveston and his love while he was at war...

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

I still see her standing by the water
Standing there lookin' out to sea
And is she waiting there for me?
On the beach where we used to run

Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_(song)

The song describes a soldier waiting to go into battle who thinks of the woman he loves and his hometown of Galveston, Texas.

It was about missing Galveston and his love while he was at war...

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was 21 when I left Galveston

Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
While I watch the cannons flashing
I clean my gun and dream of Galveston

I still see her standing by the water
Standing there lookin' out to sea
And is she waiting there for me?
On the beach where we used to run

Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galveston_(song)

The song describes a soldier waiting to go into battle who thinks of the woman he loves and his hometown of Galveston, Texas.

I still can't understand writing a song about Galveston, though. It was rundown and dirty... Nothing nice about it that I could see.:notgood:

I still can't understand writing a song about Galveston, though. It was rundown and dirty... Nothing nice about it that I could see.:notgood:

Many people love it.

I personally think there are many nice things about Galveston. Not the cleanest beach. But the beach doesn't define the whole town.

We have vacationed there a couple of times. Moody Gardens is wonderful for kids and Schlitterbahn has a water park there. Although it's not as nice as the one in New Braunfels.

I guess it really doesn't matter. The point of the song is the fact he's missing his home town and his girlfriend.

JMO

ETA: the song wasn't written by Glen.

LinasK, you evidently haven't been to Galveston in a long, long time. It has been totally revitalized w/millions of dollars from John Mitchell & other Houston millionaires. It is a popular tourist destination w/many things to offer, too many to mention here. The beaches are usually clean & are tended to every day during tourist season. Some years the seaweed is worse than others, but beach maintenance rakes it up every day. The water is not dirty but doesn't look clear due to the sandy bottom brought by tides from the Mississippi river which washes over. I love going there as often as I can. I am a native Houstonian & have been going there for years.

LinasK, you evidently haven't been to Galveston in a long, long time. It has been totally revitalized w/millions of dollars from John Mitchell & other Houston millionaires. It is a popular tourist destination w/many things to offer, too many to mention here. The beaches are usually clean & are tended to every day during tourist season. Some years the seaweed is worse than others, but beach maintenance rakes it up every day. The water is not dirty but doesn't look clear due to the sandy bottom brought by tides from the Mississippi river which washes over. I love going there as often as I can. I am a native Houstonian & have been going there for years.

This was 1971 and I didn't make it to the beach.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbifedora
Back