*graphic and adult content* Jodi Arias Trial media/ timeline thread **no discussion**

Arizona Criminal Jury Instructions: http://www.azbar.org/sectionsandcommittees/committees/criminaljuryinstructions

Jodi Arias Preliminary Court Documents: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/109828551/Jodi-Arias-Court-Documents

Arizona Homicide Definition: http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/13_1101.htm

~~Arizona First Degree Murder Classification: http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/13_1105.htm

~~Arizona Second Degree Murder Classification: http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/13_1104.htm

Arizona Death Penalty Sentencing Guidelines: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/IntRpt.PDF

I hope these work. :)

Witness Burns- from "Pre-Paid legal" now rebranded called "Legal ?"

JA and this witness met and spoke briefly @ convention - asked for her number . . . . she said she was a "director" in her company. They didn't speak for 3 or 4 weeks after the convention. Big event "party for Utah", Zion Lovenger was a friend of JA. Played matchmaker - witness gave her a call then . . . they spoke 30 min to an hour.

They continued to talk 3-5 times per week usually @ 10 or 11 @ night. She agreed to come to visit him @ SLC - near West Jordan. Back then he lived in a side apt with his family with it's own entrance but not own kitchen. Reached agreement she would come out around the end of May. She was going to be on a road trip or come see him directly she was going to stay for one day - about a week from when they were talking. She had a friend with a baby who was born - drive to LA area in Calif. then drive up to SLC to see him - taking I-15 all the way. She was supposed to arrive which day - Wednesday morning - we talked the night before around 9 or 10 pm . . . . about 12 hr drive - little concerned her driving at night - he was expecting her around 12 or 1 next day. He had training on Wed's nights - she was going to attend training on Wed @ 7pm in Sandy UT - 10 min S. of West Jordan. JA didn't arrive by noon - he tried to call @ 9 and 12 or 1 he tried to call her - straight to vm. Started getting a ittle worried - contacted friends Mark & Leslie that JA was going to visit. Leslie knew JA a little better -he asked for JA's phone numbers @ her grandparents who she was living with.

AFter the training he went to cheesecake factory in Murray - 10 min E of West Jordan. . . . . . he finally got ahold of her - she said she took wrong freeway and drove many miles/hrs wrong way- she fell asleep in her car too long. She said she didn't bring phone charger - her phone had been off all day. She bought a phone charger @ gas station. She said she didn't know where she was (said she was airheaded like that driving wrong way) and trying to get bearings. Burns asked his Father how to get there from where she was @ - pretty simple it ws about 7 or 8 hrs away but it took her another 12 hrs to get there.

She knew how to get to his house - maybe 10 or 11 next day. . . .

After meeting scheduled - she came straight to the sit down with him at present during the meeting. She followed him to the meeting from the resteraunt in her own car. As they are driving to the place - she got pulled over by police officer - he watched in his rearview mirror (he was in front of Jodi) they were about 700 yards away from starting point. Doesn't believe she got a ticket . . . .
funny story - back license plate was upside down. . . . she said she was coming out of a Mavrick or resteraunt - there were kids goofing around with her front license plate caught them - apparently they also switched my back license plate and turned it upside. . . can't remember if he helpd fix plate for her.

Sat down @ meeting @ 11 or 12 - back to his house and watched a movie. @ some point they were talking and they kissed - they kissed many times - each time it got a little more exploitave - clothing never came off. . . . I never touched her breasts -I had my hands on her thighs - his hands did go near her vaginal area. . . .
They just stopped - her religious views and his views - he didn't want to go any further for her to regret the trip.

Her demeanor was same person he was talking to on the phne - she didn't tell him he couldn't touch certain areas.

Business briefing @ Sandy location - 7pm. They were together 1-7 - can't remember if watched movie. She drove with him to business briefing (he thinks) - they showed up @ same time. Many people saw her and recognized her. When he met her she was blond - when she came over to W. Jordan - it was dark brown.

She had 2 small bandages on a couple of her fingers - she worked @ Margaritaville she broke a glass and cut herfinger.

Went to the training about 1 hr - got bunch budies and went out to Chili's and talked for 2 - 2 1/2 hrs - (strange noise in courtroom) - he never thought anything about her until they were Socially in a crowd - very quiet, shy . . . .1:1 she was very talkative.

They went back to his place - later around 11pm - we turned on movie - tired and fell asleep = had to get to Margaritaville back to work. We took a nap.

The second we woke up we were kissing - she got on top of me pretty agressively- she was right on top of my genitals - we just stopped - Burns partly made that decision. . . . we just stopped.

Nothing to indicate she was upset about anything on that date. She was very fit in good shape - we were instant messaging back and forth - he complimented she was feisty and a lot stronger than she looks.

Did she ever "adjust you" when this encounter happened when you woke up . . . she adjusted me and then we were kissing - yea she is strong.

Kissed her stomach - close to a 6 pak - she was talking about in our messaging thru google. . . . I kept reminding her she had to get work - cuz that s what she told people in during. . . . 12 or 1am or later than that.

Sort of instant messaging in their relationship - if they noticed if each other on-line . . .. google accounts they would writ messages back and forth to each other . . . pops right up . . . like a text message back and forth - respond right away - sometimes resopnd to questions that were 3 or 4 qestions before.

Here are my notes from this morning:

January 9, 2013
Testimony from Ryan Burns, man that Jodi hooked up with after Travis.
--spoke 4-5 times a week, usually around 10-11 p.m.
--she was living in California.
--RB lived in West Jordan in a side apartment with his family. Separate living from his parents.
--JA agreed to come out at the end of May.
--RB can't remember if JA was going to be on a road trip. Planned on her
--JA told RB she was going to drive to the Los Angeles area first to visit a friend that had a baby.
--JA was going to spend one night.
--RB recalls that JA was going to meet him on a Wednesday. They had talked the night before. He was concerned about her driving all night. RB expected JA around noon.
--JA never arrived on the Wednesday morning.
--RB recalls that JA was going to attend some training with him on the Wednesday night. Around noon RB was concerned about JA. RB called JA at noon and then 1 p.m. His calls went to voicemail. He also contacted another friend he thought JA was planning on visiting.
--RB did not receive a return call from JA. RB went to the training at 7 p.m. thinking maybe JA would show up there. She didn't. After the training RB went to the Cheesecake Factory around 10 p.m. with some of his friends from the training.
--RB got a call from JA around 10:30 p.m. She sounded apologetic. Said she was okay. RB asked JA where she had been. JA said she took the wrong freeway and drove for many hours then got tired and slept. JA said her cell had been dead all day and she had forgotten her car charger. JA said she bought another charger from a gas station. Conversation lasted 30-60 minutes.
--Was there ever an indication to when JA would arrive in the Salt Lake City area? Sounded like it would be a few hours since she still had to get her bearings.
--RB asked his father what freeway JA should take to get to him. It sounded like she was 7-8 hours away and then it took her another 12 hours to get to RB.
--RB got a call from JA the next morning and arrived around 10-11 a.m. on the Thursday. JA is now 24 hours late from the original Wednesday meeting.
--RB had a meeting at Jim's restaurant at 11 a.m.-12 . JA followed RB there. JA was at the meeting. RB drove his own car. JA drove her car. On the way to the meeting JA got pulled over by a police officer. RB stopped and waited and watched in his rear view mirror.
--RB and JA continue to the restaurant for the meeting. JA says that her back licence plate was upside down. JA said that in her travels to meet RB some kids were playing around with her plates and turned one upside down and removed the other one.
--RB can't remember if he fixed the plates for her.
--After the meeting RB and JA go back to RB's place. They watch a movie and begin to kiss. Clothes never came off. JA "seemed to be into the moment". RB's hand was near her vaginal area. RB stopped. He didn't want JA to regret her trip.
--JA's mood was the same as when RB spoke to her on the phone.
--Later on RB and JA needed to get to the business briefing for 7 p.m. JA and RB were together at his apartment from around 1-7 p.m.
--JA came to the business briefing. People were surprised to see her there as they knew she lived in California.
--RB knew JA's hair to be blonde but on this date JA's hair was brunette.
--JA had two small bandages on her fingers. RB and JA spoke about the cuts and JA said she cut herself on a broken glass as she worked at Margaretaville.
--Business training lasts about and hour then they go over to Chilis with some of the other people from the meeting. JA's demeaner was "fine" and she was "laughing about simple little things". RB noticed she was "a little akward in the social situation".
--After Chilis RB and JA went back to RB's place. They turned on a movie again and JA said she had to get back to work at Margaretaville. RB and JA went back to his place and took a nap. They woke up and began kissing. JA got on top of RB and they kissed agressively for a few more minutes. Then they "just stopped".
--RB says that JA was "very fit" and told her she was "very feisty" and "a lot stronger than she looks".
--RB was able to feel her strength while she was on top of him. RB says that JA had "six pack" abs and he noticed this when he kissed her stomach.
--RB reminded JA that she needed to get to work the next day. He walked JA out to her car which was around 1 a.m.
--RB and JA spoke through Google instant messaging.
Now showing some instant messages from May 30th.
Exhibit #284 "Hey there handsome, this is a test".

States exhibit #287

2regup0.png

(message reads from bottom to the top)

#287 - defense objects to this - approach . . . . admitted

From Burns to JA . . . . reading from bottom up . .. hey hottie biscotti .. just running off to work . . . (me = JA) ryasppl is Ryan Burns

Other conversations between 2 of them . . . .

Jodi is frantically writing something.

#286 - conversation - few days after they were together in West Jordan . . . .talked about the "break up" a little about some things that happened.

move to admit #286 . . . defense reading . . . Judge looking on . . . JA looking @ her Atty . . . Defense objects same objection . . approach . . .

#286 parts admitted . . ..

pg 2 of 9

Me - JA; Ryansppl is witness Burns . . . from the bottom up . . . back to Travis . . . he is a great person . . . we all have a few character flaws - seen each other @ worst and best just fundamentally different.

pg 4 of 9 from bottom and read up . . . . Well there is a little more . . . LOL - the whole time we were seeing each other after we broke up . . . he had another girlfriend . . didn't know about her until after they broke up . . but I felt so bad this time I was the other girl . . .wanted to tell her but that would cause so much pain . . she asked what time it was I typed "time to cuddle with Jodi" but I deleted message and went to sleep.

I kinda wish that was end of the story - he is persuasive we continued to see each other even tho no longer boyfriend and girlfriend.

Burns and JA contineud to talk about what she might do when she came out to see him for the first time . . .watcha movie and go hiking in SLC.

#285 - move for admission - hands to defense atty . . . . he reads . . . can we approach?

Then while we were in Huntington beach a girl texted . . . what time is it there ? . . . gosh I am making this look so bad. . . not saying psychic but I have distinct feeling . . . one I can't ignore . . . one day while he was sleeping I took his phone and read his texts . . bad I know. . . .

talking about getting sushi . . . . plans when she comes up . . . .they texted back and forth between each other.

Cross exam . . . .

Met JA in Oklahoma City @ convention for Pre-Paid Legal . . . after a meeting or ceremony . . . specific team break out session - closer knit team (smaller group) . . . quick first impressions. . . nice and beautiful . . . .all I remember.

April 2008 - convention . . . he knew TA (who he was not personally). . . . 3 mo into the business - he was struggling . . . . TA was flown into SLC for a training - inspired by TA - did much better after that.

TA was probably not there when Burns met JA . . . he knows was @ the event but not when Burns and JA were exchanging numbers. . . . Zion Levinger and Burns were playing pool downstairs about a month after the convention - maybe Dave Hall's Mom's house - business get together in SLC.

In between initial meeting and the time JA's name brought up during pool . . . doesn't think he had conversations with JA - 3 or 4 week break before they had conversations.. ..Zion said "she's cool you should give her a call". . . .he was trying to play matchmaker . . . Burns asked Zion for the number again as he didn't have number anymore. . . . .

something Zion said motivated burns to call JA. . . . Burns was single @ the time . . . he called her right there @ that event. . . . there was a room that had a sitting room outside of where eveyone was playing pool . . .could be 30 min or 3 hrs - don't remember but pleasant conversation.

Was your interest romantic? Sure I was interested in getting to know her better and possible dating . . .we talked about books we like to read . . . how to influence friends and people . . . . .attractive traits in her . . . . business person.

nothing disuaded him from him initial feelings after talking to her . . . in crowds she was a shy girl but 1:1 she was very different. . . . how did you draw that comparison . . . engaging in conversation and shy in groups. . . . 1:1 on the phone -very easy to talk to not awkward . . . . never seemed that way . . . but in the the briefing in a crowd - she was a little shyer. . . . in front of people

Briefing in June 2008 - a thursday when he came to Utah. . . .

first contact in May or end of april . . . no awareness of her dating of Travis . . . at some point she mentioned they talked couple times a week . . . .shocked Burns. . . . Travis was her executive director . . . he was her mentor in the business . . . helped him put in membership applications . . .they talked business but that was it

she Helped him qualify as Ex. Director . . . helped him maintain exec. director . . . bonus level in our company - got paid a lot more . . . . needed 75 memberships . . . if you had 73 @ end of month you would get director but not exec. pay . . . . first month as director made 6K but first month as Exec. director - Burns made over 10K that month.

Status allow you into certain places. . . . Exec. Director banquet . . . you basically got paid more . . . . 1-2 thousand of us would go to banquet - and get on the Cancun trips if executive director.

Instant messages between JA and Burns. . . April - june 2008 . . . one way to communicate. . . made phone calls as well . . . business was picking up for Burns - they were busy during the day . . . usually called @ 11pm at nite . .. .

prior to Meeting 6/4 or 6/5 they talked 4 or 5 times per week and text message during the day. . . . not too often instant messages . . . .

in these conversations . . . subjects talking every day . . .getting to know each other .. . .her likes, his likes . . .she asked what are your hobbies . . .what books have you read . .. . his dating history . . . have trust issues? whatever would come up.

Any phone sex? Yea we probably did. . ..... some time after she came to Utah.

between time met in April and time met in june no phone sex.

In april toJune 2008 - moral or religious qualms about sex . . . he hadn't attended LDs church in over a year @ that time . . . she told him about her views on church . . he stopped when things got heated - it was mor her expressing her relgious beliefs.

He spoke w/Det. Flores on phone and Def. Atty came out to SLC . . . she was trying to bring Burns closer to god . . . .she was a member of hs former church . . she was a convert - baptised later on - not raised in church . . . . Travis baptised her.

JA got him a little bit reinvested in the church - she was reading scriptures. . . no reason to doubt her sincerity . . . during conversations they had . . . talking about scripture and relationship with God . . .

she did confide she had a sexual relationship with Travis . . . she didn't want to Burns to repeat it . . . she said they went further . . . he used word "edify" him

did she evre bad mouth travis? besides the conversation about him cheating an unfaithful and not honest with her . . . no . . .. . she never said bad things about him except the trust issue . . .

Text message from another girl - no idea which girl she was referring to? Burns thought it was a long time ago - didn't know if 6 months or 2 years ago . . .he didn't try to pry into that relationship.

it seemed like a year ago whn Travis and JA broke up . . . .infidelity that motivated this breakup? Objection . . . .

People talking @ once . . Judge asks to ask question again . . .

infidelity referenced in the text messges . . . seemed like JA didn't trust TA . . . is that reason motivated to break up? . . . . Burns even complimented her for full disclosure even though she didn't need to . . .they didn't trust each other that was reason JA and TA broke up.

Travis didn't want relationship to be public . . . .Burns said it seemed like JA's frustration - their relationship wasn't going anywhere . . . .hard to stop seeing each other when so close - that is why she moved from AZ to Calif. . . . .northern Calif. . .

She wished that when she movd that was the end of the relationship. . . .

Question about TA not wanting their relationship to be public . . they were on the way to breaking up and hooked up a few times after breaking up . . . sounded like each wanted to move on . .

How long convention in Oklahoma city - 2-3 days . . .. Cox convention center in Okalahoma - well over 10K people attended . . . . social events and meetings and parties training throughout the day 8 hrs . . . . dance parties hang out -all sorts of stuff going on . .. .

Burns and Jodi had fair amt of mutual friends . . . any interaction with Jodi and friends there? no - just him and Jodi . . . never saw TA and JA together as a couple @ the convention. . . . he didn't know they were a couple for a long time - he was shocked when she said that she and TA talked so often - thought they had broken up long time ago.

January 9th continued.
Cross examination of RB by male defence lawyer

--RB was at a convention in April 2008 and met TA when he was flown in as a guest speaker.
--Asking RB about the time before his initial meeting with JA and when they spoke after the convention. A friend of his, "Zion?" was playing "matchmaker" and Zion told RB to call give JA a call. This was in April or May 2008. RB was single at the time.
--RB called JA at the event where he was speaking to Zion. He spoke to JA on the phone for "quite a while".
--RB's interest in JA was romantic and he was interested in dating her.
--RB says that JA is "a business woman" and he found that attractive.
--RB noticed that in crowds JA was a shy girl but in private it was different.
--RB and JA met for the first time in June 2008 when he she came out to meet him. This is the one-on-one meeting not when they met through business. RB noticed that JA was shy when she was in front of people.
--RB thinks the phone contact with JA was in April or May 2008. JA told RB that her and Travis still talked " a couple of times a week" because he was her executive director and her mentor in the business. RB says he was shocked at first to find out JA and TA still talked.
--JA told RB that she helped TA maintain his executive director status. Staus is based on applications. The executive level paid more money. The "pay jump" was large, a $4000 difference.
--Executive director also came with other incentives such as banquets. Easier to get on the Cancun trips etc.
Now asking about the instant messages and their means of communication.
--JA and RB spoke 4-5 times a week and instant messaged throughout the day.
--Conversations were about books, hobbies, his dating history, if each of them had trust issues.
--RB admits that some of the conversations were phone sex. The phone sex started after they met in June.
--Between April and June 2008, RB is asked if he had any qualms about pre-marital sex. RB talks about when she visited in June 2008 and how he didn't want things to get too heated because of JA's religious beliefs. RB says that JA was "trying to being him closer to God". JA was a convert, baptized later on. JA mentioned reading RB's scriptures. RB never doubted her sincerity.
--JA told RB about having a sexual relationship with Travis. She also told RB that Travis had cheated on her and wasn't honest with her. JA never said any other "bad things" about Travis other than the trust issue.
--RB assumed the contact that TA had with another girl was "a long time ago". No idea when the "cheating" happened. RB says that it "seemed like she didn't trust him".
--RB wasn't aware of the time frame when JA and TA broke up.
--Seemed like the reason TA and JA broke up was because they didn't trust each other.
--Defence asks RB about "Travis didn't want their relationship to be public". RB states that is why JA moved away from TA because it was hard seeing TA when they were so close. RB doesn't know when JA moved away from TA.
--JA told RB that they "hooked up a few times" after they broke up.
Defence: Asking about the convention in Oklahoma. RB says that here were social events, training, parties, "hanging out". RB and JA had some mutual friends. Defence: "did you ever see at this convention, Travis and Jodi together as a couple". RB: "no".

Ryan Burns (RB) - back on stand . . . Defense Atty questioning

Business briefing on 6/5 and training on 6/4. . . . JA was to arrive in SLC around 6/4 - the business briefing/meeting was that day. She was leaving LA @ 9pm - if she drove straight through 12 hrs drive - if she slept it would take longer to get to SLC.

Before she arrived on 6/5 . . . he talked to JA on Tues 6/3 around 9pm - she had visited the family in Southern Calif . . . . doesn't remember which city in Calif. . . . . he thinks yes she said Southern Calif. . . .she didn't mention she would be late except to take a nap - she advised RB she would be there on 6/4.

She was 12 hrs away .. . he was under impression she would be there 12 hrs if not later. She arrived on 6/5 around 10 or 11 am.

Exhibits #278 and #279, #280, 281, 282 - don't read them out loud. - recognize them?

he recognizes these - text messages back and forth between RB an JA - move to admit . . . Prosecution objects - hearsay . . . approach

Ryan Burns (RB) - back on stand . . . Defense Atty questioning

Business briefing on 6/5 and training on 6/4. . . . JA was to arrive in SLC around 6/4 - the business briefing/meeting was that day. She was leaving LA @ 9pm - if she drove straight through 12 hrs drive - if she slept it would take longer to get to SLC.

Before she arrived on 6/5 . . . he talked to JA on Tues 6/3 around 9pm - she had visited the family in Southern Calif . . . . doesn't remember which city in Calif. . . . . he thinks yes she said Southern Calif. . . .she didn't mention she would be late except to take a nap - she advised RB she would be there on 6/4.

She was 12 hrs away .. . he was under impression she would be there 12 hrs if not later. She arrived on 6/5 around 10 or 11 am.

Exhibits #278 and #279, #280, 281, 282 - don't read them out loud. - recognize them?

he recognizes these - text messages back and forth between RB an JA - move to admit . . . Prosecution objects - hearsay . . . approach

January 9, afternoon testimony
Burns back on the stand. Defence questioning him again.
Defence asking RB about his friends and JA's friends running in the same circles.
Defence about TA: "To your knowledge, did he have the reputation of being a flirt?" RB: "yeah".
--Business meetings in Utah in 2008 were on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The business briefing was on June 5th and the training was on June 4th. JA was supposed to arrive sometime on June 4th. RB was expect JA to arrive late on June 4th as it was a 12 hour drive. JA was to call RB if she got tired. They spoke June 3rd around 10:00 p.m. JA told RB she had already visited the family she was planning on visiting. She told RB she was in southern California. JA never stated she would be late or wouldn't be there until the Thursday. Only stated she would be there on June 4th and would stop to take a nap if necessary. RB and JA were twelve hours apart.
--Defence is going over RB's testimony about what time JA arrived. JA arrived on June 5th around 10 or 11 a.m. Multiple exhibits passed to RB. They are text messages that JA and RB sent back and forth. Mostly text messages from RB to JA.
Exhibits: 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 Prosecution objects, lawyers approach the bench

January 9, afternoon testimony
Burns back on the stand. Defence questioning him again.
Defence asking RB about his friends and JA's friends running in the same circles.
Defence about TA: "To your knowledge, did he have the reputation of being a flirt?" RB: "yeah".
--Business meetings in Utah in 2008 were on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The business briefing was on June 5th and the training was on June 4th. JA was supposed to arrive sometime on June 4th. RB was expect JA to arrive late on June 4th as it was a 12 hour drive. JA was to call RB if she got tired. They spoke June 3rd around 10:00 p.m. JA told RB she had already visited the family she was planning on visiting. She told RB she was in southern California. JA never stated she would be late or wouldn't be there until the Thursday. Only stated she would be there on June 4th and would stop to take a nap if necessary. RB and JA were twelve hours apart.
--Defence is going over RB's testimony about what time JA arrived. JA arrived on June 5th around 10 or 11 a.m. Multiple exhibits passed to RB. They are text messages that JA and RB sent back and forth. Mostly text messages from RB to JA.
Exhibits: 278, 279, 280, 281, 282 Prosecution objects, lawyers approach the bench

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back