Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' sequel set to publish

Oh, also, and appropos of, like, very little, sequel, or prequel, or whatever-the-hell-wise, I would have loved to be the figurative fly on the wall and thus gotten to hang with Truman Capote and his bestie/research assistant Harper Lee when the two of them invaded a small Kansas town -- Holcomb -- and got started on the looking and talking and walking around that eventually would produce Capote's masterpiece, 'In Cold Blood.' I'm both a Kansan and a true crime book lover and my Sunflower State is honored long after the fact to have hosted that amazing duo; and, personally, the book that came from it was a huge influence on me, reading habits-wise -- sort of very much explains my latter-day presence on this website. Add that to the obvious influence of TKAMB also, and it explains why I'm a bit nervous about this whole publishing thing. Nelle Harper Lee is very important to me.

Oh, also, and appropos of, like, very little, sequel, or prequel, or whatever-the-hell-wise, I would have loved to be the figurative fly on the wall and thus gotten to hang with Truman Capote and his bestie/research assistant Harper Lee when the two of them invaded a small Kansas town -- Holcomb -- and got started on the looking and talking and walking around that eventually would produce Capote's masterpiece, 'In Cold Blood.' I'm both a Kansan and a true crime book lover and my Sunflower State is honored long after the fact to have hosted that amazing duo; and, personally, the book that came from it was a huge influence on me, reading habits-wise -- sort of very much explains my latter-day presence on this website. Add that to the obvious influence of TKAMB also, and it explains why I'm a bit nervous about this whole publishing thing. Nelle Harper Lee is very important to me.

I read that book as a young teen. It gave me nightmares for years-that's also when I started getting scared at night if I heard odd sounds.

As I recall, Dick and Perry heard a rumor in prison about a rich farmer who kept a safe in his home stuffed full of cash.

Unfortunately Herb Clutter did not have a safe...his money was in the bank.

I follow the McStay case, and when there were rumors about a hidden safe at their home I thought about the Clutter family.....

Oddly enough, I finished reading "The Mockingbird Next Door" by Marja Mills Saturday evening while traveling from SC to Mobile, AL. We went right by the Monroeville (fictional Maycomb) exit on the way. When we checked into a Hotel in Mobile the announcement was made for the release of "Go Set A Watchman". I cannot wait to read the book! I bet the editor who told Nelle Lee that is wasn't going anywhere is twirling in the grave.
IMO Ms. Mill's book wouldn't have gone anywhere if weren't for the subject matter. Reclusive Nelle and Ms. Alice.

Gregory Peck's daughter was on Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night talking about the book and her friendship with Harper Lee. As I recall, she said that the manuscript was found in a safe deposit box belonging to Harper's sister Alice Finch Lee who died last November 17th at the age of 103. (She was a lawyer and practised until age 100.)

Lee consulted with a few friends who had read it, and the decision was made to publish. I personally am looking forward to it.

Gregory Peck's daughter was on Lawrence O'Donnell's show last night talking about the book and her friendship with Harper Lee. As I recall, she said that the manuscript was found in a safe deposit box belonging to Harper's sister Alice Finch Lee who died last November 17th at the age of 103. (She was a lawyer and practised until age 100.)

Lee consulted with a few friends who had read it, and the decision was made to publish. I personally am looking forward to it.

Me too. I pre-ordered from Amazon. The book, not Kindle.

Is Lee actually in any condition to consult with friends and write a letter attributed to her?

Once again, DM demonstrates a tenuous "knowledge" of the former colonies: the decision in Oliver Brown et al. v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, was handed down on 17 May 1954 (when yrs trly here was 35 days old!).

I am two months older than you, kid. I know you lived in Kansas until recently. Were you born there (as I was)?

I am two months older than you, kid. I know you lived in Kansas until recently. Were you born there (as I was)?
Yeppers, born and raised in dear ol' PK -- Parsons in the SEK. But the week spent recuperating at a friend's in Wichita before moving to NY was the first time I'd lived in KS since 1991.

OK, back to Jem, Scout, Atticus, Dill, Heck Tate, Miss Mayella, and Boo! (A criticism of the novel is, of course, that the colorful cast of characters rides roughshod over any sort of similar development of Tom Robinson, who remains an innocent, maltreated cipher throughout.)

I wonder if the literati will be catty if the book's a literary success and wonder aloud, "Did Truman write this one, too?"

(For background see answers.yahoo.com.)

I'm a native of Alabama, not that I'm especially proud of the fact, but when I was very young, the rumors about Harper Lee never being a legitimately published author were extremely loud and the basis was extremely compelling.
Consequently, most Alabama schools did NOT have TKAMB on their required reading lists.
It was not taught, only discussed briefly, and basically, we were told to " watch the movie". Capote's known works certainly were read and discussed at length, especially in college Am. Lit. classes.

Take what you want to from articles about her reclusiveness and refusal to give interviews for all but a few months of her mentally competent years ( there is a sad mental illness history with Lee as well but I don't think the mainstream know about that either).
This so called "new but lost for 50 years book" has all the earmarks of another huge question mark and possible fraudulent authorship on it for me.
HOW do you lose a manuscript for over 50 years, then it's found when the " author" is so elderly, blind, deaf, and in an Assisted Living facility?
She's had a stroke, is blind, deaf, and was cared for ( ??) by her 103 year old, newly deceased sister. IF there had been yet another tome about the Finches written, I do believe Lee would have spoken of it during the years when she DID give some interviews. It certainly would have quelled some of the Capote authorship rumors if she was the one who told of another manuscript, missing or NOT. However, if she ever mentioned a " missing" manuscript, it's news to me.
I think this will turn out to be a total fiasco one way or another. Also, because I do think there's possible ( note I said " possible") fraud involved re: the authorship, I won't pay to read " the lost manuscript" when published. Library, maybe, just like I read TKAMB on library status and do not own a copy.

I'm so sorry to be a dissenting voice in all the cheering and thankfulness, but Harper Lee was really NOT who people thought she ever was. She was a mentally fragile wannabe who hung on to Truman Capote and other famous Southern authors until they shook her off in one way or another, Capote probably being the most cruel and public in his rejection. Lots of area information that never made national circulation.. just saying, please take all this with a GOS.

Seems people close to Harper Lee doubt whether she's been consulted properly regarding the book's publication.

See comments from Marja Mills in this NY Times article, as well as comments from the publisher admitting he hasn't spoken with her, only with her attorney.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/b...-a-mockingbird-is-to-publish-a-new-novel.html
BBM, and don't miss the NYT article.

Also:

Harper Lee: should Marja Mills' memoir have been published? (Guardian, 18 July 2014)

The Mockingbird Next Door, review: 'the art of the non-event' (Telegraph, 09 August 2014)
A journalist’s account of her friendship with Harper Lee is a masterclass in betrayal

And back to 'Watchman':

“Mockingbird” sequel provokes questions (Atlanta Journal Constitution)

Harper Lee's curious decision to publish an old manuscript.... (Daily Telegraph)

and....

To Kill a Mockingbird sequel: What if Harper Lee had a whole stash of them? (Independent)

British booksellers are rubbing their hands with delight at the prospect of a JK Rowling-style collective public Harperleegasm....

---

(n.b., reading all articles above results in obtaining 3 credit seminar hours from The WS School of Differently-Read Layabouts.)

I'm in two minds about this! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books of all time, so the sequel has a lot to live up to. I hope that Scout and Atticus aren't too different or dislikable.

There have been allegations of elder abuse and financial fraud to the extent that Harper Lee answered questions before the Alabama Securities Commission. They were satisfied with her answers and said this week that part of the investigation was now closed.

Harper Lee's literary agent says he was "surprised" that his client was believed a victim of elder abuse and asserted "categorically" that she was in "full possession of her mental faculties."

The statement from Andrew Nurnberg was issued Friday through Lee's publisher, HarperCollins.*

http://www.usnews.com/news/entertai...-dismisses-elder-abuse-allegations?src=usn_tw

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back