HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about which would be worse. Having your child's remains but not knowing who killed them, not having their remains but knowing the guilty party(s) have been caught or never knowing what happened to your child or who is responsible? I decided that all are beyond anything that I could survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what you mean. The third would be the worst for me, because I would always wonder if they were being tortured somewhere. I could live without their remains if I was sure that the guilty party had been found and was going to pay for what they had done (couldn't do it to anyone else). To me they are only mortal remains, a container that the soul/spirit no longer needs, so not having the remains would be OK for me, but I understand that not everyone feels that way. Not knowing who had done it would be nightmarish for me, because that would mean that person could harm someone else. I can only hope that whatever other evidence they have in this case makes it a no-brainer for conviction.

Someone has to know if this is Heather or not by now! Good grief!!! I can't bear to think about the above mentioned options because I believe I would be in a mental hospital for a long time if any of those options happened to my babies.

Sometimes I have to distance myself from a case, versus how close it could be one of my kids. Fine line.

Imo, the HE family likely knows whether the FL remains are those of HE...
Myrtle Beach, SC relies heavily on the tourist industry for commerce and tax revenue.. If considering a location for a family summer vacation, most folks would do a internet search of the areas of interest. If the results for Myrtle Beach/Horry County, SC news headlines reflected numerous abductions or other public safety issues. Well, your vacation destination would likely be subject to change...

JMO, but the timing of the Judge's gag order is a little suspicious to me...

http://meredith.worldnow.com/story/25041061/gag-order
Judge Judge Steven John signs gag orders in Heather Elvis case

Posted: Mar 21, 2014
4:28 PM EDT
Updated: Mar 24, 2014 12:03 PM EDT
By WMBF News

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Gag orders have been signed off on for the Heather Elvis case, restricting what information can be given by those involved in the case about the couple charged with the kidnapping and murder of 20-year-old Heather Elvis.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/27169088/...kely-not-heather-elvis-sheriffs-officials-say

Now, Volusia County Sheriff's Office officials have informed Horry County authorities that the date of the death of the person found in Florida rules out that the body could be that of Heather Elvis.

“Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here,” Gary Davidson, spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, told WBTW-TV. “The experts who've examined the remains are confident that they're older than three months.”

"Based upon what we do know at this point in investigation, we've advised law enforcement authorities in South Carolina that we're reasonably confident that the remains are not those of Heather Elvis," Davidson told WBTW by phone.

I knew it.

Not Heather.

Those remains were much older than a 2 or 3 month decomposed body, even in FL.

IMO, unless LE confirms it, there was no sudden trip to FL to take a body to dispose of. My opinion remains that HE's body is much closer than 2 or 3 states away. Like try within a 25 - 35 mi range of where she was abducted. And maybe even within 10 mi.

If this is not Heather, I guess we wait for hunters or someone else to stumble onto her because it doesn't look like anyone is searching. [emoji20]

If this is not Heather, I guess we wait for hunters or someone else to stumble onto her because it doesn't look like anyone is searching. [emoji20]

I really thought there would've been someone/statement regarding keeping up the search during hunting season. It's been way too quiet around Myrtle Beach IMO.

Strange choice of words, imo..

<sniped from article & BBM for Focus>
Now, Volusia County Sheriff's Office officials have informed Horry County authorities that the date of the death of the person found in Florida rules out that the body could be that of Heather Elvis.

&#8220;Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here,&#8221; Gary Davidson, spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, told WBTW-TV. &#8220;The experts who've examined the remains are confident that they're older than three months.&#8221;

"Based upon what we do know at this point in investigation, we've advised law enforcement authorities in South Carolina that we're reasonably confident that the remains are not those of Heather Elvis," Davidson told WBTW by phone.

Davidson wasn't sure exactly when Horry County police were informed.

Strange choice of words, imo..

<sniped from article & BBM for Focus>

&#8220;Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here,&#8221; Gary Davidson, spokesman for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office, told WBTW-TV. &#8220;The experts who've examined the remains are confident that they're older than three months.&#8221;

Davidson wasn't sure exactly when Horry County police were informed.
Interesting. Are they "ruled out" or "not likely"? Not likely means that there is a chance they don't have the remains dated properly. Ruled out means there is no chance at all that these remains are Heather. Weird that there is no other way to rule out Heather besides an approximate date of death.

Interesting. Are they "ruled out" or "not likely"? Not likely means that there is a chance they don't have the remains dated properly. Ruled out means there is no chance at all that these remains are Heather. Weird that there is no other way to rule out Heather besides an approximate date of death.

I HATE it when a statement like this is made. I don't want a "reasonable" or "most likely" assurance, I want concrete evidence this is not Heather.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the University of North Texas have performed DNA tests on the remains.

Neither lab has been able to positively identify the remains, though Davidson did say the investigation determined the DeLand remains were there before Heather Elvis disappeared in December 2013.

How then, do they know it is not Heather?

I HATE it when a statement like this is made. I don't want a "reasonable" or "most likely" assurance, I want concrete evidence this is not Heather.

How then, do they know it is not Heather?

Ughhhh why? I agree and if the dates don't match then the headline should read: Remains found in Deland Fl are not Heather Elvis.

The fact that these remains were ever considered to possibly be Heather's shows that they have no idea where to search, jmo.

So the remains were there before Heather went missing. Ok...that makes total sense to me until they say that they are "reasonably confident" that this isn't Heather. Call me crazy but if the dates don't match up,it can't be Heather so they should be 100% certain, not "reasonably confident"...*heavy sigh* Me thinks that they are only 100% certain that they are 100% clueless.

The fact that these remains were ever considered to possibly be Heather's shows that they have no idea where to search, jmo.
Maybe so, but I cannot imagine just not searching at all for any child of mine after so short a time. I might if I knew that the evidence against the accused left no doubt that my child were deceased and that the accused would be convicted. If there were any doubt in my mind that the accused would not be convicted, I'd have gridded off the entire state and still be searching every weekend. But to each their own. If the Elvis family doesn't want the perpetrator of this crime to have one more second of their lives than they have to, go them.

So is the gag order going to be dropped for these remains now? Is there a separate thread for these remains in the UID forum?

There is a missing person's case which is local to my area, Kristin Smart. My daughter was telling me about a recent article she read about the case. Anyway, it opened up a discussion about missing persons. I told her I would make it my life mission to find her if she ever went missing. I'd never stop, not for one day.

The last post TE wrote on the find FB page, was in September. I purposefully looked to see if there was anything more recent. I have read your posts GW, and agreed with you, regarding the possible reason they seemed to quit searching for her. Maybe that's all way off base, perhaps the Elvis family has just made peace with the fact Heather may never be found.

Read what the Smart family has endured for the past eighteen years, heartbreaking! http://www.californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

So is the gag order going to be dropped for these remains now? Is there a separate thread for these remains in the UID forum?

There was a gag order on the remains? Are you sure you're not confusing that with the gag order placed on the evidence in the case against SM & TM?

So the remains were there before Heather went missing. Ok...that makes total sense to me until they say that they are "reasonably confident" that this isn't Heather. Call me crazy but if the dates don't match up,it can't be Heather so they should be 100% certain, not "reasonably confident"...*heavy sigh* Me thinks that they are only 100% certain that they are 100% clueless.

The decomposition rate can be accelerated in many ways, imo... The guestimate date of death of the Volusia remains may not have included the possibility of an altered decomp process by the perp/s, imo..

Alaska serial killer kept murder kits around the country to prep for another strike, commits suicide
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/alaska-serial-killer-article-1.1215766
<sniped read more>

In Alaska, authorities recovered the cache containing a shovel and two large bottles of Drano from Eagle River north of Anchorage. Gonzalez said the drain de-clogger would speed up decomposition of a body.

AK Serial killer Israel Keyes, 34, prepared a body disposal cache in the summer of 2011 for a future target, Gonzalez said. Murder kits also have been recovered in New York and Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adrian33