HCPD contacts Florida LE about skeletal remains that were found

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a missing person's case which is local to my area, Kristin Smart. My daughter was telling me about a recent article she read about the case. Anyway, it opened up a discussion about missing persons. I told her I would make it my life mission to find her if she ever went missing. I'd never stop, not for one day.

The last post TE wrote on the find FB page, was in September. I purposefully looked to see if there was anything more recent. I have read your posts GW, and agreed with you, regarding the possible reason they seemed to quit searching for her. Maybe that's all way off base, perhaps the Elvis family has just made peace with the fact Heather may never be found.

Read what the Smart family has endured for the past eighteen years, heartbreaking! http://www.californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

Knox, I can't remember ever meeting a parent of a missing/murdered child making peace with the fact that their child may never be found... jmo

You're right Foxfire, that was the wrong choice of words!

They said because of the advanced stage of decomp they don't believe the remains to be Elvis. They did not say, they are not. But, it is what I would say if I would be liable for withholding evidence requested in discovery by the defense and I wasn't ready to say these remains were Elvis but didn't know how to prove it and explain how the advanced decomp was achieved. That's just me. I think the lack of searching is indicative that Horry County believes or hopes the remains belong(ed) to Heather.

Human remains found in Florida and at first thought to be linked to the investigation of the disappearance of Heather Elvis, are not her, authorities said.

'On Friday, Gary Davidson, a public information officer for the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, confirmed officials ruled the remains were not Heather Elvis.'

“Yes, we’ve pretty well concluded it’s not her,” Davidson said. “Heather Elvis went missing approximately three months before the remains were found here. The experts who’ve examined the remains are confident that they’re older than three months.”

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...in-florida-not-linked.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/20...in-florida-not-linked.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

It would really help clarification if he did not use "we pretty well concluded"............:gaah: but it does look like a final answer.

The decomposition rate can be accelerated in many ways, imo... The guestimate date of death of the Volusia remains may not have included the possibility of an altered decomp process by the perp/s, imo..

Alaska serial killer kept murder kits around the country to prep for another strike, commits suicide
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/alaska-serial-killer-article-1.1215766

In Alaska, authorities recovered the cache containing a shovel and two large bottles of Drano from Eagle River north of Anchorage. Gonzalez said the drain de-clogger would speed up decomposition of a body.

AK Serial killer Israel Keyes, 34, prepared a body disposal cache in the summer of 2011 for a future target, Gonzalez said. Murder kits also have been recovered in New York and Vermont.

I understand that but if they think these remains were there before 12/18, why not just say that this can't be Heather...reasonably sure is not the same. I guess the wording just drives me crazy. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could have said nothing. I feel confident they are right in saying they do not believe they are Heather's remains. But since they do not know who they belong to yet, they do not feel comfortable saying anything definitive. But My guess if they know these are much older. Jmo

They can't say it's absolutely not Heather because they're basing that off of the decomposition time which is not going to give you an exact date. Plus there are things that can speed up or slow down decomposition, which will throw the results off. It's not as concrete as ruling somebody out by DNA. That's why they're being careful with their wording.

There is a missing person's case which is local to my area, Kristin Smart. My daughter was telling me about a recent article she read about the case. Anyway, it opened up a discussion about missing persons. I told her I would make it my life mission to find her if she ever went missing. I'd never stop, not for one day.

The last post TE wrote on the find FB page, was in September. I purposefully looked to see if there was anything more recent. I have read your posts GW, and agreed with you, regarding the possible reason they seemed to quit searching for her. Maybe that's all way off base, perhaps the Elvis family has just made peace with the fact Heather may never be found.

Read what the Smart family has endured for the past eighteen years, heartbreaking! http://www.californiaregister.com/kristin-smart/

That story is amazing but terrifying. I've just spent the last couple hours riveted to this story (dreading each interruption of trick or treaters!). The incompetence of the investigation is unimaginable. And then the sad coincidence of having the last name of 'Smart' and people erroneously thinking the case has been solved. Heartbreaking! I will last for the Smart family and also that Heather's family is luckier in getting a resolution.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Constant complaints that information was not being released with lots of speculation about why. Turns out the truth was exactly what it was thought and common sense ruled: it wasn't Heather, FL authorities weren't playing some gag order game; they simply do not know who these remains are, the remains were indeed sent to TX to try and figure that out. A determination can at least be made that the bones were there longer than a couple or 3 months.

And still that's not good enough.

It will just have to be good enough until some kind of DNA profile can be matched to someone, if they have someone's DNA to match it to. That someone is not going to be Heather. The Elvis family is not preparing a funeral based on the finding of these remains, as whoever this is, it does not appear to be Heather.

If it's not HE can't they say it's based on DNA or dental records? Something concrete. Unless there was no skull and not one piece of testable DNA then I would think they would rule anyone out or in with that!!! Did they leave it this long to let the moorers and/or the public wonder who it is??? Very confusing. If they have enough evidence to say how long the remains have been there then I find it hard to believe they don't have anything else!!!!

While length of time remains have been where found, or how long deceased, cannot be exact, I really think the forensic experts call determine shorter or longer than three months. I feel confident that if they do not believe these remains are those of Heather, they in fact are not.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Constant complaints that information was not being released with lots of speculation about why. Turns out the truth was exactly what it was thought and common sense ruled: it wasn't Heather, FL authorities weren't playing some gag order game; they simply do not know who these remains are, the remains were indeed sent to TX to try and figure that out. A determination can at least be made that the bones were there longer than a couple or 3 months.

And still that's not good enough.

It will just have to be good enough until some kind of DNA profile can be matched to someone, if they have someone's DNA to match it to. That someone is not going to be Heather. The Elvis family is not preparing a funeral based on the finding of these remains, as whoever this is, it does not appear to be Heather.

<BBM for Focus>

And you know this how, Madeleine74? Until there is a conclusive statement verifying that the Deland, FL remains were identified or ruled out as HE's via dna. I choose to remain a little skeptical and keep my options open. This is primarily due to the contradictory and vague wording by the Volusia County Sheriff&#8217;s Office contained in the msm articles..

'On Friday, Gary Davidson, a public information officer for the Volusia County Sheriff&#8217;s Office, confirmed officials ruled the remains were not Heather Elvis.'
&#8220;Yes, we&#8217;ve pretty well concluded it&#8217;s not her,&#8221; Davidson said.

http://forensicsciencecentral.co.uk/anthropology.shtml
Forensic Anthropology

If remains are completely skeletonized, determining time since death based on the bones may be extremely difficult.

I HATE it when a statement like this is made. I don't want a "reasonable" or "most likely" assurance, I want concrete evidence this is not Heather.

How then, do they know it is not Heather?

BBM

DNA... FINALLY! :moo:

I agree that the wording of the findings/statement by the Volusia County Sheriff&#8217;s Office are convoluted. I wish they would back up their words with some Science.

If the results from the DNA test were inconclusive or a non-match to Heather then, just say so!

So, the remains are not those of Heather Elvis and they do not know who's they are [yet].

Florida police "reasonably confident" remains don't belong to Heather Elvis

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the University of North Texas have performed DNA tests on the remains.

Neither lab has been able to positively identify the remains, though Davidson did say the investigation determined the DeLand remains were there before Heather Elvis disappeared in December 2013.

<BBM for Focus>

And you know this how, Madeleine74? Until there is a conclusive statement verifying that the Deland, FL remains were identified or ruled out as HE's via dna. I choose to remain a little skeptical and keep my options open. This is primarily due to the contradictory and vague wording by the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office contained in the msm articles..

http://forensicsciencecentral.co.uk/anthropology.shtml
Forensic Anthropology

If remains are completely skeletonized, determining time since death based on the bones may be extremely difficult.

I guess people get their panties in a bunch if others are skeptical with "reasonably certain" confirmation. If someone could just say that the DNA from these remains do not match Heather's DNA, that would be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you know this how, Madeleine74? Until there is a conclusive statement verifying that the Deland, FL remains were identified or ruled out as HE's via dna. I choose to remain a little skeptical and keep my options open. This is primarily due to the contradictory and vague wording by the Volusia County Sheriff&#8217;s Office contained in the msm articles

Based on what they said, I think they've telegraphed as much as they can for now. If they thought these remains might be HE, then why come out at this point and declare they are reasonably sure they aren't? What was the point of saying anything then? I think they can't say it with 100% absolute scientific certainty until they get some other data point -- be that DNA or some other kind of identifying qualifier. That's my assumption based on what they have said. And my assumption could be incorrect, but that they bothered to say anything at this point and what they said appears to exclude these remains from being ID'd as Heather, tells me these remains are not going to be Heather. It moved the needle on the spectrum from "maybe" to "unlikely" and "probably not her."

Based on what they said, I think they've telegraphed as much as they can for now. If they thought these remains might be HE, then why come out at this point and declare they are reasonably sure they aren't? What was the point of saying anything then? I think they can't say it with 100% absolute scientific certainty until they get some other data point -- be that DNA or some other kind of identifying qualifier. That's my assumption based on what they have said. And my assumption could be incorrect, but that they bothered to say anything at this point and what they said appears to exclude these remains from being ID'd as Heather, tells me these remains are not going to be Heather. It moved the needle on the spectrum from "maybe" to "unlikely" and "probably not her."

Exactly, well said. They must be having issues retrieving a DNA profile from the remains.

I think you're an Angel in heaven for this and every Halloween when you should have had so many other fun holidays on earth. An evil spirit took you away from your rightful place with your dad and your mom...God and the angels are needed to bring your physical being home so those who truly love you can have some closure and peace, and, hopefully, even justice.

:praying:

I would like to know approx. How long those remains were there, or how long ago this persons life was taken. We could then rule out other potentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adrian33