Health officials support placing obese children in foster care

I can't believe this. It is what they eat or meds they are on, or even baby fat. I can not believe a state would take this in concentration... Maybe they should also look at underweight children. Kids metabolism are all different...

I would hope that the threat of having children removed and placed in foster care would shock parents into caring for their children's weight issues. IMO It is abuse.

Are you KIDDING?

Both of my kids were "chubby" (NOT obese) when they were young. Both of them have grown into gorgeous, slim people.

Jeez. BIG BROTHER, ANYONE? When the government begins interfering with parenting, we are all in trouble.

This is so sad. The idea of ripping a family apart over this, is heartbreaking. A chubby kid taken away from his or her parents and siblings. That has to be devastating for everyone involved.

Wow! There are some messed up folks in this world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idiots.

Both of my kids are overweight according to "charts". I have a 10-year old who is 5'6"+ and weighs 150 lbs......he's adult-sized and nothing in the world is going to make him be the size of the average skinny little 10 year old boy.

Both my husband and I were given to the pudge when we were our sons age, and I still have to work very very hard to not be a little chubby. Hell, I actually like being a little chubby, a state I personally find more attractive than skinny.

I wish we lived in a world that was more accepting of different body types and shapes. All this hysteria about people's bodies couched in a "oh, we're just concerned about your health" attitude nauseates me.

My child is considered overweight too by the charts.

But she's taller than me and is very athletic.

She is a big girl but in great shape and very healthy and very well cared for.

As my previous post should make clear, I think this is fairly stupid. I also think that there is a problem in our country with childhood obesity (and with adult obesity, too--I live in Wisconsin, we're not exactly the most health-conscious state), but there are many better ways to address it. I think our society is far to obsessed with weight and body image, and I think fataphobia sucks.

However, I also like to play devil's advocate.

Here is a link to a news story that is a little more comprehensive.

Roughly 2 million U.S. children are extremely obese. Most are not in imminent danger, Ludwig said. But some have obesity-related conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, breathing difficulties and liver problems that could kill them by age 30. It is these kids for whom state intervention, including education, parent training, and temporary protective custody in the most extreme cases, should be considered, Ludwig said.

also, BBM:

That piece discussed a 440-pound 16-year-old girl who developed breathing problems from excess weight and nearly died at a University of Wisconsin hospital. Doctors discussed whether to report her family for neglect. But they didn't need to, because her medical crisis "was a wake-up call" for her family, and the girl ended up losing about 100 pounds, said co-author Dr. Norman Fost, a medical ethicist at the university's Madison campus.

It seems like the folks who are advancing this idea are not talking about kids who are chubby, or even obese, but those who have life-threatening (or potentially life-threatening) illnesses linked to weight. I get that this could be a slippery slope, and lead to some serious unintended consequences. But is there ever a case where a child being seriously overweight should lead to state intervention? What if the state intervention is court-ordered services or medical care, instead of foster care? Is there a corollary to parents who refuse to provide medical care to their children on religious grounds (an issue I have somewhat conflicted feelings about)? Some things I'm thinking about, and would love to have some discussion about.

RLynne,your idea of maybe some court ordered medical intervention might be more paletable than taking someone from their home.Its as you said,a slippery slope. And who's to say the Foster family would be any better? Would that mean there couldn't be fat Foster parents? What if one Dr. determines someone is obese by his/her standards? The whole idea is crazy. I still think educating people on good nutrition and encouraging exercise is the way to go.

Wow, this is so timely for me. My brother has a teen aged friend who weighs 500lbs and lives in Texas. 2 weeks ago, CPS came to his house, took him to a hospital, and then to a health center to lose weight. Parents have lost custody at this point. My brother is outraged, hes just 16 and this freaked him out totally. The boy did have access to a laptop for a bit and told my brother he has lost 25lbs so far, is excercising and according to him, eating only chicken and water. They have him on a no carbs diet, and he also gets vitamins. Then to read this, just WOW!

Wow, this is so timely for me. My brother has a teen aged friend who weighs 500lbs and lives in Texas. 2 weeks ago, CPS came to his house, took him to a hospital, and then to a health center to lose weight. Parents have lost custody at this point. My brother is outraged, hes just 16 and this freaked him out totally. The boy did have access to a laptop for a bit and told my brother he has lost 25lbs so far, is excercising and according to him, eating only chicken and water. They have him on a no carbs diet, and he also gets vitamins. Then to read this, just WOW!

Just curious,what kind of people are the parents? Are they poor,are they obese? Do they seem uneducated as to nutrition?

This is just frustrating. My 7 year old only has one 15 minute recess per day - IF the whether is nice. When I was a child, we had a 15 minute in the morning, 30 minute after lunch, and 15 minute a few hours later near the end of the day.

Aside from the food problems, they need to put recess back in schools. My son has 3 PE days per week, whereas I only had 1... but I ran my butt off far more at recess than I ever did in PE playing dodgeball or whatever. By the way, judging by the info my son comes home and rattles off to me, half his PE time isn't actually physical, but seems to be a health class instead.

I do acknowledge that the guy says removal would only be in the most extreme of cases... but it's really frustrating to constantly read about this obesity issue when they've taken away so much of the excersize that kids used to get on a daily basis. My son could stand to gain a few pounds... he is lucky... unless they take a suggestion above and start looking into smaller/underweight kids as well.

Just curious,what kind of people are the parents? Are they poor,are they obese? Do they seem uneducated as to nutrition?

Good family, they are not well to do, no medical coverage, even thru the state. The boy has been trying to diet for two years, but like many poorer families, they cant afford enough of the foods he needs to diet. Its a high carb, low protein diet. Interestingly tho, he is the only one with the weight problem.

Abuse?
There are so many medical reasons some children are overweight.

It's nobody's business!

What medical reasons? and it is my business. The health & welfare of children is everyones business

Good family, they are not well to do, no medical coverage, even thru the state. The boy has been trying to diet for two years, but like many poorer families, they cant afford enough of the foods he needs to diet. Its a high carb, low protein diet. Interestingly tho, he is the only one with the weight problem.

That is interesting and makes you wonder how truly important metabolism is in our physical makeup.

Growing up in a small town in southern Oregon in the late 60's and early 70's, all of us kids in the neighborhood ran all over, all day, every day from sun up to sun down, without worry. It was such a different time. Yet, while we all did the same activities, both of my brothers and all of our neighborhood friends were skinny little sticks and I was always a little bit chubby. When I was about 19, the weight just fell off without my even trying. In fact, I didn't even realize it happened until I went clothes shopping and had to buy 5 sizes smaller.

I was never what would be considered "obese." But I think it's important to note that my brothers and I were all raised in the same home with the same food and they were bones, while I was not.

It's a different time. We (and particularly those of us who follow cases on WS) are not going to let our kids run wild like we did as children. But somewhere in their lives, kids need to be active, as is natural for children.

I also notice that the healthier foods are more expensive in the grocery stores. Obviously, that's not helpful.

There are easy fixes to this issue. They do not include ripping innocent children away from their families. IMO.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43775601/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

Doc feels heat over foster care idea for obese kids
Opinion piece in medical journal has triggered a backlash

Of course they're feeling it! Expecting parents to actually do a good job and say NO to their darling little snowflakes? Provide nutricous meals and snacks and take away their video games> Yeah right! Good luck with that! No wonder the idea is met with such resistance.

IMO Being a parent is a awsome responsibility. If teaching a child to eat healthy and move around more is just too darn hard...well then I am at a loss! I find the situation sickening and all the backlash very very sad!

Of course they're feeling it! Expecting parents to actually do a good job and say NO to their darling little snowflakes? Provide nutricous meals and snacks and take away their video games> Yeah right! Good luck with that! No wonder the idea is met with such resistance.

IMO Being a parent is a aw some responsibility. If teaching a child to eat healthy and move around more is just too darn hard...well then I am at a loss! I find the situation sickening and all the backlash very very sad!

No Linda, parents don't say "no" to their children anymore. And when they do, there are dire consequences, as illustrated with the 17-year-old in Florida who murdered his parents with a hammer so he could have a party this last weekend.

It's not child abuse, it's the exact opposite. And it extends far beyond overweight children.

No Linda, parents don't say "no" to their children anymore. And when they do, there are dire consequences, as illustrated with the 17-year-old in Florida who murdered his parents with a hammer so he could have a party this last weekend.

It's not child abuse, it's the exact opposite. And it extends far beyond overweight children.

Fairy1 I believe it's a parents responsibility to teach their own children to eat right and exercise. It's a parents job to be a good role model for their children. If it's too much trouble to provide these very basic life lessons perhaps they shouldn't be parenting at all?

As far as the hammer murders lots to discuss about that! That 17 year old is one sick puppy.... but can't discuss here as it wouldn't be appropriate in this thread.

Isn't it ironic that parents that do not feed their children and have their malnurished children taken away and placed in fostercare the parents are painted as monsters........ while parents that allow their children to gorge on CRAP & ride the sofa all day and become grossly overweight are patted on the head and defended???? Both are a matter of LIFE and DEATH.

Fairy1 I believe it's a parents responsibility to teach their own children to eat right and exercise. It's a parents job to be a good role model for their children. If it's too much trouble to provide these very basic life lessons perhaps they shouldn't be parenting at all?

As far as the hammer murders lots to discuss about that! That 17 year old is one sick puppy.... but can't discuss here as it wouldn't be appropriate in this thread.

I agree it's the PARENT'S responsibility. Not the state's. We have become a society of "yes" parents, to the detriment of our children. My point is, it's not relegated only to weight issues.

My ex-husband had a brother and SIL whose children were, IMO, waaaaaay too thin. The kids were "picky" eaters and the parents gave them whatever they asked for. They were not nutritious meals in any way. That's not okay either. Are we going to remove children who are too thin from their homes as well?

I'm not a short-order cook. When my kids were small, I made ONE dinner and they either ate it or they didn't. I wasn't about to make whatever everyone wanted. I have seen parents who do that and I don't think it sets a good precedent. But I have never voiced my own opinions to those parents. I believe that would be out of line. And I would have been offended if other people told me I was wrong.

I agree it's the PARENT'S responsibility. Not the state's. We have become a society of "yes" parents, to the detriment of our children. My point is, it's not relegated only to weight issues.

My ex-husband had a brother and SIL whose children were, IMO, waaaaaay too thin. The kids were "picky" eaters and the parents gave them whatever they asked for. They were not nutritious meals in any way. That's not okay either. Are we going to remove children who are too thin from their homes as well?

I'm not a short-order cook. When my kids were small, I made ONE dinner and they either ate it or they didn't. I wasn't about to make whatever everyone wanted. I have seen parents who do that and I don't think it sets a good precedent. But I have never voiced my own opinions to those parents. I believe that would be out of line. And I would have been offended if other people told me I was wrong.

IMO Too many people have lost the ability to actually parent. They expect the school, video games, computers, daycare, coaches to parent & entertain and teach for them. God forbid they should actually parent their own kids. In my experience, most of the people I know don't even enjoy spending time with their OWN children. Guess what? I really can't stand their ill mannered children either! It's July and I hear all the time how they can not wait for their kids to go back to school as they are driving them crazy! Sad sad sad! I miss my kid when he's not around and I enjoy teaching him and spending time with him. I can't think of a single thing I would rather be doing daily!

I agree with your parenting style. I'm not a short order cook either and my son has been learning how to cook in the kitchen since he was 3 years old and I had him make toast! He's 13 and fully capable of cooking a full course Thanksgiving dinner complete with deserts all from scratch now. He can make darn near anything. He knows how to cook, clean, laundry, mow the lawn etc... It's called LIFE SKILLS and I feel it was my job to teach him.

Most of the parents I know have taught their children how to order at the drive thru at McDonalds, open of box and call it dinner, pop some processed crap in a microwave. Upsets me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back