HI - Lauren Crossan, 18, dies in fall from hotel balcony, Maui, 12 Jan 2004

Combination of jet lag and .17 alcohol from seven or more cocktails is considered to have impaired judgment and depth perception. All injuries consistent with a fall. No indications of date rape or forcible rape.

i still can't help but feel that with inconsistencies in the two men's stories,
that they know something. maybe they were playing a drinking game or something and told her to go out there...there still could be some circumstance to cause her to be out there to fall.

im sure this will come out during any civil trial, where the burden of proof is not 'beyond reasonable doubt'

Particle_Beam said:
im sure this will come out during any civil trial, where the burden of proof is not 'beyond reasonable doubt'
Its highly unlikely that there will be any civil action. The deep pockets would be the hotel in Hawaii, the tortfeasors that you imagine engaged in drinking games or the like are young kids from Central California. There is no evidence of anything having happened in the hotel room other than sex and she may still have been sober enough to consent to that at the time it took place. No way to prove she was passed out at the time and no forensic indications of forcible sex.

I don't know about you guys, and call me a lush, but I can remember times I have been so absolutely polluted, and tripped, fallen, fell off the toilet, fallen into walls. Said to myself (I promise God, I'll never drink like this again, get me out of here) Yes, I partied with the best of them.

I have been in this predicament in my 20's. I went home with 2 guys. Yep, did the naughty with 2 of them, and when I woke up....was terribly ashamed of what I had done! Only one would have shown up as having sex with me...if you get the picture. It could have been what happened to her.

Maybe she ran to the balcony realizing what she had done, (maybe she was going to get sick)....and inadvertently fell off. It could happen. I seriously don't imagine those guys threw her off the balcony for not wanting to have sex with them. The alibi of falling asleep sounds more like it after drinking. She awoke and for only reasons's God knows went out onto the balcony and for some reason ended up falling over.

IMO only - I think it was an accident.

:doh:

Sunnmoon, I think maybe you are correct. Maybe she went outside because she felt sick and leaned over to throw up and passed out. I have never been that drunk so not sure if this could be what happened but maybe.

I could accept most of it, but still have problems with waking up drunk as a skunk and feeling sick so therefore heading to the balcony rather than the bathroom.

It seems strange to think that two guys would toss her off the balcony rather than just raping her. Its also strange to think that she decided to go naked onto the balcony and then decided to climb the railing and then fell off.

When you're drunk, do you care if it's the bathroom or the balcony. What's ever closest, or most convenient, perhaps she didn't want them to hear her getting sick (vanity at that age you know).

I have ventured out onto the balcony drunk and naked on more than one occasion. I think kids nowadays, are less modest. Maybe the situation was one of desperation. She could not find her clothes, or was so drunk just needed some fresh air to sober up.....not trying to defend anyone. Just trying to figure out what happened.

I just feel sorry for her, her family, everyone involved. Alcohol is the cause of many such accidents.

After having been through this a time or two, I know my limits. And not every type of alcohol affects me the same. Tequila, gin and wine affect me in a totally different way than a beer or two......

I would wonder one thing about this 'accidental death': would a drunken naked girl be traipsing along the balcony railing if the two guys were not there to watch her?
Why would she want to walk along the railing if no one could see her do it?

Twice as drunk for the driving laws in Hawaii. We are 0.8 in Illinois. 1.6+ might be super drunk for someone. Haven't we all wondered *Where are my shoes?* the next morning--or *How did we get home?*--or my favorite *I climbed a tree?* This poor girl may have staggered into the railing and plummeted over the edge. That is more palatible to me than being murdered. Then again if she started yelling and threatening but no one heard yelling.

I am just glad not to be that young any more.

I do not think it is possible to go over the railing by simply staggering or falling against it; I think it takes some degree of climbing up onto it to go over it. Balcony railings tend to be rather high and this one looks like it would be hard to 'topple over' but easy to 'topple from'.

You are right, Toth. My mind has a low railing which makes no sense at all for a balcony.

I woke up thinking about the scenario in the middle of the night.

I don't buy the conclusion that if she jumped or was pushed she wouldn't have hit whatever. I am guessing she was already dead which is why she didn't scream and why her *dead weight* didn't allow her to go far enough away from the building to miss whatever she hit.

There are no indications of any injuries inconsistent with the fall. No evidence of prior rape. No date rape drugs.
Apparently no one heard a scream, but that does not mean she didn't scream.

Its official!!
Prliminary tests had indicated an absence of any drugs in her system. More complete toxicology testing has confirmed: no drugs, no date rape drugs, nothing. Just alcohol.

The Alcohol Control Board is attempting to determine who served the alcohol, it is not likely they will be successful in thier inquiries.

Casshew said:
We have to know a bit more about the girl too...
I am not trying to blame this girl.. but I want to share a story with you.

We had a "friend of the family" stay here for a month when she was taking a course nearby.. (she is 18) what a Drama Queen she was... and truly a bit of a headcase if you asked me.

She was obsessed with guys... and what they thought of her, she wanted them all to want her, and would not rest if one seemed not interested... she would call and bug and try to do things to make them interested, then when finally they wanted to date her... she would stand them up.

She would come home wailing and throwing tantrums because some guy in her typing class didn't say hi to her at lunch.. she was totally self absorbed changing her clothes several times in the afternoon, evening, primping for any mirror she came across.

She was here for about 6 weeks (LONG weeks) and pretty well had a date every night of the week, (sometimes 2 in the same night!)

She would complain if they didn't buy her gifts, bring her flowers, or call her.. she was constantly on her cell phone - I don't know how she kept them all straight.

If I had heard this story and it was about this girl.(the one who stayed with us) I would be thinking she went up to the room and had sex with the boys and then they told her to get lost and she freaked with a temper tantrum and dramatics... "I will kill myself" drama queen for bring rejected and maybe they were laughing at her... and something happend that she fell.

Maybe she was murdered? Maybe she was drunk and fell... but we need to know more about the girl's character as well as the boys.

Right Cass, the old "friend of the family" story. I am glad to see though that you straightened your life out and have settled down. :clap:

poco said:
Right Cass, the old "friend of the family" story. I am glad to see though that you straightened your life out and have settled down. :clap:

LOL Poco! it really was a friend of the family!!

She came home one day and said she was invited swimming at a boys house... she proceeded to have a 30 minute shower, and blowdry and curl her hair, full makeup and then her bikini with a little skirt... all to go swimming!

This girl drove me nuts!
2spineyes.gif

Some young girls, (and even old ones, from what I read) make a fool of themselves for a sexual circumstance and validation of their looks and/or money. SH's. One day they will grow up, hopefully, and get some new priorities and quit being judgemental of teenage circumstances/women/men. That is, give them a chance to grow up.

Sounds like Imons is talking from personal experience.. at lots of it at that!
2roflmao.gif

Casshew said:
Sounds like Imons is talking from personal experience.. at lots of it at that!
2roflmao.gif

:clap: Bahahhahahaaaaaaaa ! No doubt, No doubt !! :loser: :bang: :bang:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member