Hi new to this forum.....my thoughts on the Routier case

Just how many other murders were occurring in Dallas where there was a break in and the occupants (including children) were stabbed to death? Also were these just people breaking in and killing people? I was living in Dallas at the time of the murders and I can't recall any other crimes of this nature in the news or even on line today in 1996....Had there been many similar crimes we would have seen the press broadcasting a night stalker (Richard Rameriz) type on the loose in Dallas and I know I didn't here that.

To help give an answer I found this in Darlie's appeals.

Alan Brantley gave the jury the misimpression that he had investigated whether there had been similar crimes in the area. See C.R.R. Vol. 40, pp. 53:24-54:5. In fact, a spree of crimes that started in December 1995 and ended around the time of the attack at the Routiers’ residence was not disclosed to the jury. The assailant’s modus operandi included using implements from the homes of his victim as weapons and using tube socks – like the one found three houses down from the Routier’s home (C.R.R. Vol. 32, p. 71:3-6) – to gag his victims. Brantley misleadingly suggested that criminal offenders never use objects found in victims’ homes as weapons. See C.R.R. Vol. 40, p. 84:5-9.
I don't think any crime even if committed by the same person is EXACTLY the same. Too many factors are involved.
Let us say someone is writing on sidewalks obscene language. They do it at night and they use charcoal they obtain from the bar-b-que grills. They seem to favor a certain neighborhood. Miles away another obscene language sidewalk is found.What makes this one different from the others is the home owners don't own a bar-b-que grill, they use propane. The writing looks similar and the wording is somewhat different than the other sidewalks.
OK you are the LE on this case you decide how you will investigate.

Alan Brantley gave the jury the misimpression that he had investigated whether there had been similar crimes in the area. See C.R.R. Vol. 40, pp. 53:24-54:5. In fact, a spree of crimes that started in December 1995 and ended around the time of the attack at the Routiers’ residence was not disclosed to the jury. The assailant’s modus operandi included using implements from the homes of his victim as weapons and using tube socks – like the one found three houses down from the Routier’s home (C.R.R. Vol. 32, p. 71:3-6) – to gag his victims. Brantley misleadingly suggested that criminal offenders never use objects found in victims’ homes as weapons. See C.R.R. Vol. 40, p. 84:5-9.
I don't think any crime even if committed by the same person is EXACTLY the same. Too many factors are involved.
Let us say someone is writing on sidewalks obscene language. They do it at night and they use charcoal they obtain from the bar-b-que grills. They seem to favor a certain neighborhood. Miles away another obscene language sidewalk is found.What makes this one different from the others is the home owners don't own a bar-b-que grill, they use propane. The writing looks similar and the wording is somewhat different than the other sidewalks.

Do you have a link to this, please? TIA :)

The time-line work just fine if Damon was stabbed in two different areas of the room. Darlie could have come back from the sock run and found that Damon had crawled from where he was sleeping to the doorway of the kitchen. She then had to stab him again there.

Just one problem here the blood on her nightshirt.
Damons blood is on top of Darlie's blood. She would have had to injure herself then finish him off. That is what I mean about time line.

2. Petitioner’s Nightshirt.

As part of the State’s case, Bevel testified that the reason that Damon and Devon Routier’s blood was not evident on Petitioner’s nightshirt was that it was covered by direct hits of her blood from her allegedly self-inflicted stab wound (an “overlay” theory). C.R.R. Vol. 39, pp. 25:2-26:8. Defense experts have concluded based on their extensive blood-spatter experience that Bevel’s testimony is inconsistent with the likely blood-spatter pattern in such a sequence of events. See Laber Aff. ¶ 11. In addition, defense experts have concluded that the State’s theory that Petitioner allegedly used her right hand to stab her sons is also belied by the physical evidence. The nightshirt evidenced only minimal blood on the back-right shoulder, but if the State’s theory were correct, cast-off blood would have been substantially evident in that area.

Experts disagree and since the evidence was likely to point to Darin the defense team was unable to use it. 2 experts had been retained to testify against the State's evidence but they were never called to testify and that wasn't because they couldn't dispute the evidence but because the evidence pointed to someone else--Darin.

What kind of husband gets his wife (who is facing a DP) a defense lawyer. Then tells the lawyer a condition of your employment is you can not implicate ME in your defense of my wife.

I have been married a long time 30 something years. I would jump in front of a bullet, allow character assassination, just about anything I could do to save my husband if he were in a similar situation, unless of course I was guilty and wanted to make sure I was covering my own butt.

This to me tells volumes about Darin. I won't post what I think is his psychological motives are as I am not one of those PHD holding doctors, but to me this makes him look very suspicious.

Let us say they did allow Darin to "look guilty". Darlie is acquitted and Darin is charged. A very easy defense can be mounted by submitting into evidence the Darlie Lynn Routier trial transcripts. The RPD had experts after experts testify they thought Darlie did it. Why is it after she is acquitted they go after the husband?
Easy defense that makes the State look like idiots.
Not allowing this defense of Darlie, looks to me to be a set up. If I was Mulder I would have refused the case based on the families refusal. When you have a court appointed attorney the family has NO SAY as to how the defendant is to be represented and what kind of defense is mounted.
The reasoning the family had is flawed, whose idea was it anyway to "protect" Darin? I bet it wasn't Darlie or Darlie Kee's.

Do you have a link to this, please? TIA :)

Hi Tuffy love the rabbit pic. Reminds me of the Monty Python's HOLY GRAIL and the killer rabbit.

I found the info on Darlie's site -justice for Darlie in the appeals. I copy and pasted it here. I know, I know, a lot of what the Pro-Darlie's are accused of doing is altering the facts but this is out of her court records so I don't see how they could make it up or "alter" it.

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/transcripts/writ.php

I copied the web address at top of page so I hope that works. The calculator wasn't even allowed to be used when I went to school so I hope I posted a link correctly. Hey at least the calculator had been invented when I went to school. I'm sure computers existed but they were HUMONGOUS beasts that took up rooms and rooms of space so they weren't used at schools.

Hi Tuffy love the rabbit pic. Reminds me of the Monty Python's HOLY GRAIL and the killer rabbit.

I found the info on Darlie's site -justice for Darlie in the appeals. I copy and pasted it here. I know, I know, a lot of what the Pro-Darlie's are accused of doing is altering the facts but this is out of her court records so I don't see how they could make it up or "alter" it.

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/transcripts/writ.php

I copied the web address at top of page so I hope that works. The calculator wasn't even allowed to be used when I went to school so I hope I posted a link correctly. Hey at least the calculator had been invented when I went to school. I'm sure computers existed but they were HUMONGOUS beasts that took up rooms and rooms of space so they weren't used at schools.

Thank you, Cathy! The pic reminds me of the killer rabbit too. That's kinda why I picked. lol

I appreciate the link. I don't know this case as well as some here, so I don't know where to get this stuff!

Oh, and the link works fine!

In stabbing the boys, Darlie could certainly have injured herself slightly enough to account for her blood being deposited first on the nightshirt. Damon's 2nd stabbing would account for the overlay. And, both Darlie and Darlie Kee agreed that Mulder should not try and implicate Darin in the murders.
In the Criminal District Court No.3
Dallas County, Texas
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DARLIE LYNN ROUTIER[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No. F96-39973-MJ[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN THE CRIMINAL[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DISTRICT COURT[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NO. 3 OF[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DALLAS COUNTY, TEXAS[/FONT]
AFFIDAVIT OF DARLIE KEE
BEFORE ME, the undersigned authority, on this day personally appeared DARLIE KEE, who, being by me duly sworn on her oath, stated the following:
"My name is Darlie Kee. I am over the age of twenty-one years old and I reside in Wills Point, Texas. I have never been convicted of a crime, and I am capable and fully competent to make this affidavit. I have personal knowledge of the facts stated in this affidavit, and those facts are all true and correct.
"I am the mother of Darlie Lynn Routier, who was accused of murder by the State of Texas in the capital case of Texas v. Routier.
"I July of 1996, my son-in-law, Darin Routier, and I searched for counsel to represent my daughter in her capital trial. Over the course of my search, various individuals suggested that we retain attorney Douglas Mulder.
"Darin and I first met Mr. Mulder in July 1996, and we met with him again many times in August of that year.
"During one of our August meetings, Mr. Mulder told Darin and me that Douglas Parks and Wayne Huff, the court-appointed attorneys for my daughter, intended to blame Darin for the murder of my grandson, Damon. Darin then told Doug Mulder that one of the reasons we were going to retain him was because Doug was not buying into the theory that Darin was involved in this crime. Mr. Mulder assured us that, if he was in charge of the case, he would not do that.
"We decided to hire Mr. Mulder, and he became my daughter's lawyer on October 21, 1996. We eventually paid him about $95,000,00."
[signed]

I don't post on the DR case, but found something tonight I thought I would share. You can look up Drake on myspace, he sure is a Cutie (I don't think I am allowed to link). If you look at his pictures there is one of him and dad in Colorado, it appears maybe dad has a new girlfriend in the picture.

Crow that is my point, why would Darlie or Darlie Kee fear Darin being accused in a trial he is not the defendant in. In my previous post I stated how easy it would have been for Darin to "beat the rap" if accused during Darlie's trial. I bet it was Darin who convinced Darlie Kee and Darlie, or manipulated them to believe it would be better for Darlie.
This makes no sense.
In this case Darlie would have been better off with a defense attorney who was worried about nothing but her defense.
I bet Darin was the one to convince Darlie it was not in HER best interest to have HIM accused. MR. R says he wouldn't have cared if they made him out to be the cloned version of Adolph Hitler were it me on trial. He would deal with that later at his own trial if he was ever charged.

Similar crimes in the area were not murders and the crimes at the Routier home were not thefts. Using socks to gag someone while committing a home invasion is not unusual but it is unusual to have only one person involved in a home invasion. Murders committed during these episodes are more likely to be execution style with a firearm and not a butcherblock knife. Nor were any of the victims tied up. It was a slice and dice with no apparent motive. Had there been similar MURDERS of this nature "Dateline" and shows of that nature would have had that storyline figure prominently in their features of this case. After all they were certainly trying for the "reasonable doubt" angle.

As far as chalk on the sidewalk...common sense would say you look to connect both crimes. The similar nature of the crime warrants that but then again tell me the other murders committed in Dallas 1995 / 1996 that mirrored this case. How many homes were invaded where the children were knifed first and the adults attacked after and who left the scene without taking anything especially since there was no real reason to leave? Remember Darlie didn't startle him. He left quite peacefully.

Cathy, That's just the point. Darin did not take part in the murders, but he sure knows what Darlie did. He stated in talking about Darlie's conviction - "I want to help her anyway I can, but I'm not going to take her place in prison. They're trying to swap me for her (sic)." His implied threat is that if Darlie's defense tries to point to him, he will tell the police what really happened that night. Darlie's new defense team has been very careful to not point a finger of guilt at Darin except in a very indirect way, i.e. Darin might have been overheard in a bar discussing a burglary of his house and ... oops!....look what happened.

I don't post on the DR case, but found something tonight I thought I would share. You can look up Drake on myspace, he sure is a Cutie (I don't think I am allowed to link). If you look at his pictures there is one of him and dad in Colorado, it appears maybe dad has a new girlfriend in the picture.

He looks just like his mom!

First there were not similar crimes in the area where the intruders went in with no other purpose than to murder the victims. This intruder did not tie up any of the victims and there is no evidence that a tube sock was put in any of the victims mouths...there was no burglary or rape. Had there been crimes in the area where a random intruder was going into homes and attacking the occupants without motive...essentially murdering families then there would have been no way to keep that from trial or from the media speculation in the many shows like "Dateline" that were out there trying to promote her innocense.

What I think makes people grab at these posts on Darlie's and MTJD websites is that we really can't grasp why anyone including Darlie would do this. But the facts as we know them just do not point to an intruder.

And if Darlie's statement on her web site is correct it still does not explain her bruises. Could she have gotten them when Darin disarmed her?

Just random thoughts!

First there were not similar crimes in the area where the intruders went in with no other purpose than to murder the victims. This intruder did not tie up any of the victims and there is no evidence that a tube sock was put in any of the victims mouths...there was no burglary or rape. Had there been crimes in the area where a random intruder was going into homes and attacking the occupants without motive...essentially murdering families then there would have been no way to keep that from trial or from the media speculation in the many shows like "Dateline" that were out there trying to promote her innocense.

What I think makes people grab at these posts on Darlie's and MTJD websites is that we really can't grasp why anyone including Darlie would do this. But the facts as we know them just do not point to an intruder.

And if Darlie's statement on her web site is correct it still does not explain her bruises. Could she have gotten them when Darin disarmed her?

Just random thoughts!

In the Criminal District Court No.3
Dallas County, Texas
DARLIE LYNN ROUTIER
No. F96-39973-MJIN THE CRIMINAL
DISTRICT COURT
NO. 3 OF
DALLAS COUNTY, TEXAS

AFFIDAVIT OF DARLIE KEE
BEFORE ME, the undersigned authority, on this day personally appeared DARLIE KEE, who, being by me duly sworn on her oath, stated the following:
"My name is Darlie Kee. I am over the age of twenty-one years old and I reside in Wills Point, Texas. I have never been convicted of a crime, and I am capable and fully competent to make this affidavit. I have personal knowledge of the facts stated in this affidavit, and those facts are all true and correct.
"I am the mother of Darlie Lynn Routier, who was accused of murder by the State of Texas in the capital case of Texas v. Routier.
"I July of 1996, my son-in-law, Darin Routier, and I searched for counsel to represent my daughter in her capital trial. Over the course of my search, various individuals suggested that we retain attorney Douglas Mulder.
"Darin and I first met Mr. Mulder in July 1996, and we met with him again many times in August of that year.
"During one of our August meetings, Mr. Mulder told Darin and me that Douglas Parks and Wayne Huff, the court-appointed attorneys for my daughter, intended to blame Darin for the murder of my grandson, Damon. Darin then told Doug Mulder that one of the reasons we were going to retain him was because Doug was not buying into the theory that Darin was involved in this crime. Mr. Mulder assured us that, if he was in charge of the case, he would not do that.
"We decided to hire Mr. Mulder, and he became my daughter's lawyer on October 21, 1996. We eventually paid him about $95,000,00."

[signed]

Is it just me or are there other people that find it suspect that all of things are coming out so many years later....

Just one problem here the blood on her nightshirt.
Damons blood is on top of Darlie's blood. She would have had to injure herself then finish him off. That is what I mean about time line.

2. Petitioner’s Nightshirt.

As part of the State’s case, Bevel testified that the reason that Damon and Devon Routier’s blood was not evident on Petitioner’s nightshirt was that it was covered by direct hits of her blood from her allegedly self-inflicted stab wound (an “overlay” theory). C.R.R. Vol. 39, pp. 25:2-26:8. Defense experts have concluded based on their extensive blood-spatter experience that Bevel’s testimony is inconsistent with the likely blood-spatter pattern in such a sequence of events. See Laber Aff. ¶ 11. In addition, defense experts have concluded that the State’s theory that Petitioner allegedly used her right hand to stab her sons is also belied by the physical evidence. The nightshirt evidenced only minimal blood on the back-right shoulder, but if the State’s theory were correct, cast-off blood would have been substantially evident in that area.

Experts disagree and since the evidence was likely to point to Darin the defense team was unable to use it. 2 experts had been retained to testify against the State's evidence but they were never called to testify and that wasn't because they couldn't dispute the evidence but because the evidence pointed to someone else--Darin.

What kind of husband gets his wife (who is facing a DP) a defense lawyer. Then tells the lawyer a condition of your employment is you can not implicate ME in your defense of my wife.

I have been married a long time 30 something years. I would jump in front of a bullet, allow character assassination, just about anything I could do to save my husband if he were in a similar situation, unless of course I was guilty and wanted to make sure I was covering my own butt.

This to me tells volumes about Darin. I won't post what I think is his psychological motives are as I am not one of those PHD holding doctors, but to me this makes him look very suspicious.

Let us say they did allow Darin to "look guilty". Darlie is acquitted and Darin is charged. A very easy defense can be mounted by submitting into evidence the Darlie Lynn Routier trial transcripts. The RPD had experts after experts testify they thought Darlie did it. Why is it after she is acquitted they go after the husband?
Easy defense that makes the State look like idiots.
Not allowing this defense of Darlie, looks to me to be a set up. If I was Mulder I would have refused the case based on the families refusal. When you have a court appointed attorney the family has NO SAY as to how the defendant is to be represented and what kind of defense is mounted.
The reasoning the family had is flawed, whose idea was it anyway to "protect" Darin? I bet it wasn't Darlie or Darlie Kee's.

Yes Damon was stabbed at two separate times and in two separate areas of the room. That gives DArlie lots of time to stage the scene, dump the sock and then inflict her own wounds. Since she had already inflicted her own wounds and most likely had blood on the back of her nightshirt, Damon's blood easily overlayed hers when she stabbed him again after he had crawled to the wall by the bathroom.

Why don' t you read all the transcripts. You keep posting the appeals, but you don't post the judge's decision on these items.

Darin was not involved in the killings. He knows Darlie did it and he's covering for her.

There is no evidence that points to Darin, it's as simple as that. All the blood evidence is Darlie's. She committed the murders.

What you don't seem to understand is that Bevel's conclusions came in to the trial unobjected by the defense, all the blood evidence came in. None of it was refuted at trial by the defense to the satisfaction of the jury. The jury believed Bevel, considering he demonstrated in court how the cast-off blood was on the back of Darlie's nightshirt. It's not transfer, you can't transfer cast-off. Bevel's credentials are stirling. He's testified in many, many murder trials and is one of the leading experts in blood spatter and blood patterns.

You can keep posting the appeal but what you have to remember is that appeal was lost.

You need to read the trial transcripts.

I don't trust much of what Basia says as she is a nut case herself. If what was printed about her in MTJD is untrue she would have sued. Not Darlie or Darin but the author and most likely Darlie Kee who provided the author with leads and stories they had uncovered. Since CPS and the local PD keep records she can't deny what was written about her.
What bothers me about her is I think the Routiers were aware of her legal troubles yet continued to employ her and her daughter. Would you want that nut case and her family around your kids?

Doctors who specialize in diseases and disorders of the mind examined Darlie and found no evidence of mental illness, unlike Andrea Yates. Now that woman was OBVIOUSLY ILL.

Darin and Darlie are guilty of bad behavior, they were not the social norm and representing Darlie that way was stupid JMO.

DDI scenario aside people do break into houses all the time without a weapon. John Douglas discusses this FACT in several crimes he solved. In Rowlett at the time of the murders a perp was breaking into homes and using the victims own kitchen knives against them. He was also gagging the victims with socks.
In a DDI scenario I have noticed that no one points out this fact as part of the staging. Could Darlie have heard about these crimes on the local news and decided to stage her crime to look like this perp did it?
In an IDI scenario the fact that similar crimes were committed in the area is used as proof the RPD did not investigate other possibilities other than the family.
The rawness of her mouth is purported to be from the sock being shoved down her throat.
I hope I pointed out what I think is misinformation here. The knife wound depths, the fact that crimes are committed everyday with victims own possessions (it happens with guns too), no evidence by skilled and qualified doctors of mental illness, the heel bruising is lividity,

It may be our opinions but deciding what is "normal" behavior is based on what
WE THINK WE MIGHT DO is stretching the limits. Behavior analysis should be left up to the professionals those people who hold PHD's and that we call doctors.

I am still on the fence about her guilt because the evidence for and against her is very compelling.
DDI- the night shirt blood stains - IDI- her camp says it was contamination that caused the stains.
DDI- the screen fibers IDI- once again the camp points to contamination before Lynch ever looked at the fibers- he did admit later contrary to his original testimony, he looked at the knives in question after they had been dusted.

JMO I think Darin is involved, either alone or with Darlie's help. The evidence cannot be neatly tied up with a workable time line unless she had an accomplice or IDI.

With all due respect. MTJD is not a book. it's just a rag by that nut Chris Brown. Chris Brown is not a cop, he's not a homicide investigator, he's not a CSI, he's nothing but a small time newspaper editor. Why should anybody believe him?

He's on Darlie's side, he believes her. Of course he is going to challenge every single piece of evidence against her.

Basia did nothing wrong but testify and tell the truth. She was closest to the Routiers, she worked with Darin. She saw what went on between him and Darlie.

The defense didn't shake her on the witness stand.

You see, there were no other break ins in the neighbourhood. I know someone who lived about 5 minutes drive from Darlie and she doesn't recall any such breakins. They happened in Dallas, a full 12 miles from where Darin and Darlie lived.

You're facts are all incorrect Cathy. No one but Darlie committed these murders.

An old lawman once told me to KISS. Keep it simple, sunny. When you do that the simplest explanation is someone from the home committed these murders. The boys were the targets of the attack, not Darlie.

How do you get a raw mouth from a sock? I mean come on, the rawness is probably from the ventilator tube she had whilst undergoing surgery.

I've posted a couple of times on this site. Yeah, I haven't read the transcripts. But, just reading from others who claim they have. I think that Damon was attacked three times not two. That Darin and a neighbor helped. It all seems strange. Everyone agrees that things don't add up. I watched Clue a long time ago. Tim Curry says at one point the murderer does things "to create confusion". The Routier's thought this out. Darlie was never intended to pick up that knife for the last time. Darin tried twice to kill him. If the cops look for the third accomplice, maybe the truth will come out.

I also lived less than 5 minutes from the Routiers when this happened, and have a son that is just a couple months younger than Drake. I had NEVER heard one word about any crimes remotely like this in the area at that time and I have a couple of friends that were on the police force at that time.

My intuition told me the day we heard this on the news that it was the mom. I dont know why. Then I read the trial transcripts and knew my intuition was right.

This was a heat of the moment crime, it wasnt planned out. Darlie was pissed and the more she sat there the madder she got. Stabbings like that are a crime of passion/rage.

There were only the 2 of them in the house when the police arrived. The motion sensored light had not gone off in the back, the gate was screwed up and hard to open and there were no signs that anyone had tried to open it or climb it. If someone helped them or if there was a real perp they would have had blood on them and left some sort of trail out to the gate.

Read the trail transcripts. It takes quite a while to get through them, but they are very enlightening.

I'm not sure where you're getting that, Cathy, but it didn't happen.

Darlie maintained from day one that she was positive Darin did not do it. Both families supported Darin unequivocally from the time this went to trial and for years thereafter, until Brian Pardo stuck his nose in. But that's another story.

Darlie's testimony:

Q. So it's clear your husband, Darin, didn't commit this offense?

A. No, he didn't.

Q. You know that for a fact?

A. Yes, sir.

Q. The man you saw walking away was not your husband?

A. Yes, sir.

At one time, Darlie even stated, "I know what my husband looks like, and the intruder was not my husband."

There was no evidence against Darin, other than being an enormous liar in order to get his wife out of prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back