How can we get involved w/ forensic genealogy at home?

Springrain

Who was she? Pregnant & stabbed to death
Reaction score
I love the work DNA Doe Project and other organizations are doing. It's so important and such valuable work. However, I don't know the first thing about genealogy! I don't even know where to start! I have a fantasy of being a volunteer for DNA Doe, but my total ignorance about forensic genealogy of course rules that out. :(

Are there ways for us to become more knowledgeable about forensic genealogy at home on our own? Where can we start?

Additionally, what are ways for us to support organizations like DNA Doe Project from home? I know Amazon Smile partners with them periodically (I believe during the holiday season), and that we are able to donate to help fund cases. But is there anything else we can do to help?

I have the exact question, Springrain. The one thing I've done is that I've shared my Ancestry match with DNASolves and GEDMatch. Other than that, I don't know where to go from here.

CeCe Moore, who pioneered genetic genealogy, has a Facebook page called DNA Detectives. They mainly help people find their birth parents, and it is free. CeCe Moore works for Parabon and there were some TV shows on a few years ago with her solving crimes.

She also has a Facebook social page called DNA Social for everything DNA related but not necessarily a parent search. I am a member of both and find just reading the posts and comments is extremely informative. There are posts that are very similar to the question you're asking.

Oh that's great! Thanks for sharing!!

Has she (or anyone else) answered the question? Is there a place for those of us not working in the field to assist?

Well, a while back I could have scheduled a workshop & taught you in person!

Try here for a start:

Your public library may still have books, or classes or workshops.

Your closest LDS church almost certainly has a Family History Center. Super volunteers ready to help you!

Understanding genealogy comes before the forensics. Find out how genealogy works without the crime-solving component, and add that later imho.

The whole thing is a cycle, and you're never finished.

And, much of this was done long before the Internet was developed! Working at home is such a luxury!

Now of course I have a microfilm/microfiche reader downstairs, so I could work at home in the early '80's.

Best, Laughing

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500