How Did the Side Door Get Opened?/Door Locks/Use of Cinder Block**REVISITED**

Intruder was familiar with trailer doors and locks. Back door was only locked by knob lock and intruder entered that way. Maybe with a key. CB left there from a time when either appliances were brought in or ac man or other workman there.

I think the screen door could have been propped open to allow someone room to work on picking the lock. I saw the stuff on youtube about picking - even deadbolts.

Not sure yet if Misty was home or not - but I don't think she is sophisticated or crazy enough to pass a poly - so If we continue to hear that she passed - I will have to assume she was there.

I think Ron has a good idea of what may have happened - that's why he was so sure someone stole her. And the use of the word stole - seems like that is in his mind - like maybe he stole things before - or had things stolen from him before.

And the picked lock comment makes me think he knows about this too - like he's maybe done it before - or knows people who have.

I like that he and misty are giving LE their theories. I would too.

You all have some great theories on the screen door being proped open so the door lock could be picked. You would need it propped in order to not make more noise.

I am leaning towards Misty not being home. Her account has changed too many times for me and now we know Haleigh didn't have the pink shirt on. :(

She may have gone out and someone came to the door and Haleigh answered the door. Or Misty was home and she could have staged the doors to look like a kidnapping to cover an accident. Either way, Misty's story doesn't add up.

Just b/c HE never used the back door, doesn't mean everyone avoided it. Both are smokers, she may use the back stoop to light up. She may receive visitors at the back. Or previous occupants may still have keys. Does the back door have a window? A perp may have had the block at the screen all night to peep on the sitte and child? Then used to keep from banging shut while the sleeping child was carried out.

Using a cinder block to hold the screen door open to allow access to pick the back door lock makes sense to me. Hmmmmmmm

Pay attention in that 911 call. Misty first tells the 911 operator about the back door being left open, and that it is always locked, and then when they ask her if there were any signs of a break-in, she turns and asks Ron, "did you lock that back door?" That sounds very odd to me, she has been there all afternoon and evening, but isn't sure if he locked the door when he left at 3:30 or whenever??

I don't think entry or exit was made by an intruder through the back door, or for that matter, through the front door or window. I think that the back door with the cinderblock propping it wide open was staged by someone in the house to make it look more like an intruder had entered the house and abducted Haleigh. Inside job I still say.

Did Ron not trust Misti with a key?
Misti was suppose to be gone 3 days and then just came back.........

I have missed 2 things. 1st, where did she go? I didn't hear that she was gone for 3 days. Also, I didn't hear anything about this stick chair? Again, sorry to ask for repeats but i've been following this closely and yet STILL missed these 2 things.:eek:

I don't think entry or exit was made by an intruder through the back door, or for that matter, through the front door or window. I think that the back door with the cinderblock propping it wide open was staged by someone in the house to make it look more like an intruder had entered the house and abducted Haleigh. Inside job I still say.

ITA Lexington!

I have thought this from the beginning and still cannot shake it!

I have missed 2 things. 1st, where did she go? I didn't hear that she was gone for 3 days. Also, I didn't hear anything about this stick chair? Again, sorry to ask for repeats but i've been following this closely and yet STILL missed these 2 things.:eek:

what stick chair?

...ohh I believe Ron made sure that door was locked...he's a control freak..and I'm sure Misty did not have a key to the front door.IMO,she's the one who went out the back door and propped it open so she could return without anyone seeing her and reporting it to Ron.

That's what I think happened - that Misty opened the door.

I think she opened it with the cinder block so if she was outside, she could hear the kids. That's the only thing I can think that makes sense as to WHY the door would be propped open.

I think sometime between when she put the kids to bed until she went to bed, she was outside, hanging out with the neighbors or something like that and had the door open so she could hear the kids. Accidentally left the cinder block there and couldn't lock the door when she went to bed and events unfold from there.

Looks like an experienced homeless person's handiwork. logs looked sawed.

Bump for add'l focus on door.

Can someone advise if Misty ever stated that the back door was "wide open"? Specifically in those terms. Thanks.

Bump for add'l focus on door.

Can someone advise if Misty ever stated that the back door was "wide open"? Specifically in those terms. Thanks.

Hello BJB, good to see you over here for a bit. Misty made the statement, and then was asked by the 911 operator to clarify what she said.

911: “911, what’s your emergency”
Misty Croslin: “Hi…umm…I just woke up…and our backdoor was wide open and I think…and I can’t find our daughter”
911: “you can’t find what?”
Misty Croslin:”our daughter”
911:” OK, what’s your address?
Misty Croslin: “(inaudible)”
911: “OK, what’s the numerical?”
Misty Croslin: “The numerical…what’s that?”
911: “the number…green lane?”
Misty Croslin: “Yes”
911: “OK when did you last see her?”
Misty Croslin: “Um, we like just, you know…it was about 10 o’clock- she was sleeping- I was cleaning…
911: “OK- how old is your daughter?”
Misty Croslin: “She’s five”
911: “Ok…what was she last seen wearing? Maam…”
Misty Croslin: “She was in her pajamas- she was sleeping…”

911: “OK…alright…You said your back door was wide open?”
Misty Croslin: “yes- it was bricked- there was a brick on the floor…when I was asleep it was not like that.”
911: Ok…the back door…listen to me…your back door was wide open…what are you talking about a brick?”
911: “what is a brick?”
Misty Croslin: “it’s almost like– on the stairs- we have a walkway…”
911:” uh huh….and there was a brick laying there?”
Misty Croslin: “yes…it’s still there”

Thanks for the help, Debs. That's PERFECT! :thumb:

Adding this quote from above...

Pay attention in that 911 call. Misty first tells the 911 operator about the back door being left open, and that it is always locked, and then when they ask her if there were any signs of a break-in, she turns and asks Ron, "did you lock that back door?" That sounds very odd to me, she has been there all afternoon and evening, but isn't sure if he locked the door when he left at 3:30 or whenever??

IIRC, Misty stated in later interviews that she was certain the back door was closed (e.g. distinction between locked & closed allowed) before going to bed since she was doing the laundry (presumably Haleigh's soiled blanket) and the washing machine is right next to the door (paraphrasing Misty's words IIRC).

I'll allow Misty 'assuming' the back door was locked and asking Ron during the 911 call if he'd locked it. That would be a natural/normal thing to do..i.e. double checking.

IMHO, Misty's comments to the 911 operator (per Debs quote above) pertain to the screen door and NOT the solid door. Open to hear others thoughts to the contrary...but...you guys see where I'm goin' w/ this?

Thanks for the help, Debs. That's PERFECT! :thumb:

Adding this quote from above...

IIRC, Misty stated in later interviews that she was certain the back door was closed (e.g. distinction between locked & closed allowed) before going to bed since she was doing the laundry (presumably Haleigh's soiled blanket) and the washing machine is right next to the door (paraphrasing Misty's words IIRC).

I'll allow Misty 'assuming' the back door was locked and asking Ron during the 911 call if he'd locked it. That would be a natural/normal thing to do..i.e. double checking.

IMHO, Misty's comments to the 911 operator (per Debs quote above) pertain to the screen door and NOT the solid door. Open to hear others thoughts to the contrary...but...you guys see where I'm goin' w/ this?

LE only removed the screen door, and I still wonder why.

Hello BJB, good to see you over here for a bit. Misty made the statement, and then was asked by the 911 operator to clarify what she said.

911: “911, what’s your emergency”
Misty Croslin: “Hi…umm…I just woke up…and our backdoor was wide open and I think…and I can’t find our daughter”
911: “you can’t find what?”
Misty Croslin:”our daughter”
911:” OK, what’s your address?
911: “OK, what’s the numerical?”
Misty Croslin: “The numerical…what’s that?”
911: “the number…green lane?”
Misty Croslin: “Yes”
911: “OK when did you last see her?”
Misty Croslin: “Um, we like just, you know…it was about 10 o’clock- she was sleeping- I was cleaning…
911: “OK- how old is your daughter?”
Misty Croslin: “She’s five”
911: “Ok…what was she last seen wearing? Maam…”
Misty Croslin: “She was in her pajamas- she was sleeping…”

911: “OK…alright…You said your back door was wide open? ”
Misty Croslin: “yes- it was bricked- there was a brick on the floor…when I was asleep it was not like that.”
911: Ok…the back door…listen to me…your back door was wide open…what are you talking about a brick?”
911: “what is a brick?”
Misty Croslin: “it’s almost like– on the stairs- we have a walkway…”
911:” uh huh….and there was a brick laying there?”
Misty Croslin: “yes…it’s still there”

*Bold by me*

OK...granted under the circumstances a completely innocent person will be inconsistent about some details, given the benefit of the doubt...we'll only pick at the major one(s).

So Misty is very clear and only refers to ONE block and that it is STILL THERE...suggesting to me that the inside door was not visibly propped open by anything (unless wedged @ the hinges and not reported to us by anyone).

On NG we saw the producer demonstrate clearly that the inside/solid door closes on its own when left in the open position. I don't think we saw if it closes and latches...but it def'n swung to the close position.

At the risk of driving this thread OT (too) :rolleyes: it is worth noting that Misty says the last time she Haleigh was when she was sleeping and Misty was cleaning...NOT...when I went to sleep...the best-case scenario there gives Misty the benefit of the doubt that she did not 'see' Haleigh when she *went to bed* that night.

My apologies if this has all been covered before infinitum. :blushing:

That's what I think happened - that Misty opened the door.

I think she opened it with the cinder block so if she was outside, she could hear the kids. That's the only thing I can think that makes sense as to WHY the door would be propped open.

I think sometime between when she put the kids to bed until she went to bed, she was outside, hanging out with the neighbors or something like that and had the door open so she could hear the kids. Accidentally left the cinder block there and couldn't lock the door when she went to bed and events unfold from there.

I tend to agree with you. I think Misty propped open the door to hear the kids. Maybe had a habit of doing this. Perhaps went a few doors down to smoke some pot with friends or something along that line. Something she did many times while Ron was at work. Maybe she didn;t want him to know what she was doing. She was just 17 and playing a grown up role with a pretend hubby and 2 kids. So if she did leave , just a short distance or into a neighbors home, and if it was a habit, I can see someone KNOWING this, a SO, and taking advantage of the situation. He could have been sitting in the trees and just waiting for her to leave. That would explain why Misty didn;t hear anyone. SHe was not inside home. It would explain why cinder block was propping door open. It would also explain how a So could pick the right opportunity to take Haleigh IF this was something Misty had been known to do often. I just don;t buy Misty getting up just before Ron was to come home and then also her going into the bathroom down the hall instead of using the one right there in the bedroom where she and the kids were sleeping. UNLESS the toilet was non functioning and we have not heard that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back