SPOTLIGHT CASE Human Trafficking Awareness Thread

Thai Laborers Lured To State In Largest Human Trafficking Case In US History
Posted: 7:25 am PDT September 3, 2010

http://www.kirotv.com/news/24869733/detail.html

Snipped:

HONOLULU -- Six recruiters were accused Thursday of luring 400 laborers from Thailand to the United States and forcing them to work, some in Washington state, according to a federal indictment that the FBI called the largest human-trafficking case ever charged in U.S. history.

The indictment alleges that the scheme was orchestrated by four employees of labor recruiting company Global Horizons Manpower Inc. and two Thailand-based recruiters. It said the recruiters lured the workers with false promises of lucrative jobs, then confiscated their passports, failed to honor their employment contracts and threatened to deport them.

Once the Thai laborers arrived in the United States starting in May 2004, they were put to work and have since been sent to sites in states including Hawaii, Washington, California, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah, according to attorneys and advocates.

Many laborers were initially taken to farms in Hawaii and Washington, where work conditions were the worst, said Chancee Martorell, executive director for the Los Angeles-based Thai Community Development Center, which represents 263 Thai workers who were brought to the U.S. by Global Horizons.

A woman who answered the phone at Global Horizons' Los Angeles office refused to take a message seeking comment Thursday.

The six defendants include Global Horizons President and CEO Mordechai Orian, 45; Director of International Relations Pranee Tubchumpol, 44; Hawaii regional supervisor Shane Germann, 41; and onsite field supervisor Sam Wongsesanit, 39. The Thailand recruiters were identified as Ratawan Chunharutai and Podjanee Sinchai.

They face maximum sentences ranging from five years to 70 years.

***MORE AT LINK***

ALLRIGHT !! :woohoo: We finally got this thread moved out of The Jury Room to "Crimes in the News". Now non-members can read it too, and JB made it a sticky so it won't fall to the bottom of the barrel.

THANKS JBean !!

ALLRIGHT !! :woohoo: We finally got this thread moved out of The Jury Room to "Crimes in the News". Now non-members can read it too, and JB made it a sticky so it won't fall to the bottom of the barrel.

THANKS JBean !!

I agree! It's great!

Thanks JBean!!!!!

Once in awhile, someone would mention that a missing person quite possibly had been sold. My reaction was disbelief because we live in North America and if that happened here, it was only going on with certain cultures like Russian or Thai types...certainly NOT Americans!

Then one day...

A dear friend of mine that I've known for ten years stopped by to see me about some regular question in our lives. During the time we chatted, it rolled around to his past. He had told me that 30 years ago he did things he was ashamed of, but for some reason on this day, the conversation moved into more detail.

He had been involved in drug trafficking. During that time, he had heard that babies were used to transport drugs. WARNING: THE NEXT PART IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!! He said that these were not live babies...they were babies that were hollow inside to put the drugs in them. I was stunned. Beyond stunned, actually! This is a man who is outstanding in my community, has a lovely home and family, and a humble man. He said he had recently shared with his kids, who are young adults, the truth. That is the kind of man he is - honest and full on integrity. So, that is why I believe him.

Then he told me that there were kids who were sold. He once saw some in the corner of a room, wide-eyed and scared. He said that image will never leave his mind. He sees them all the time and it sickens him and he still has a huge problem forgiving himself because he did NOTHING at the time. We talked then about the Lord's forgiveness and all the things he has given back to people in the thirty years since he became a Christian and stopped using drugs. That is the only thing that keeps him from going mad.

If anyone else knows any stories about these kids who are sold, please share them. Once we know what is really going on, we can learn together what we can do to bring awareness to this evil and SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!

I am getting sick...but it does not make sense, how long can a baby shell look like a child and not like a small mess. (please excuse this espression) I think they were dolls.:waitasec:

You treat the body with chemicals, and carry it wrapped in a blanket.
I need a lobotomy, there is too much in my brain for me to ever be normal.

Anyone giving out cheap lobotomies?

Interesting article on the subject, from snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/deadbaby.asp

Today I was researching "debt bondage" and "immigration scams" related to Human Trafficking, and came upon this somewhat lengthy article on HT in Australia. Starting around Pg 22 is a partial court transcript from the trial of Gary Glazner where some of the "girls" describe their knowledge of how this particular scam worked:

http://projectrespect.org.au/files/sexslaves.pdf

Sorvino feels 'compelled' to fight human trafficking September 30, 2010 4:13 p.m. EDT

Snip>>>>>>>>>>>

Mira Sorvino: Trafficking is the worst kind of human depravity that you can imagine. And it involves children and the most vulnerable, the poorest of the poor. So, everywhere I go with the U.N., in addition to doing our official duties and holding our press conferences, I interview victims. I basically consider myself a victim's advocate. I feel like that that's the best way that I can expose the really horrendous nature of the crime to the public and try to produce swifter results. Because once you get to know individuals who have suffered at the hands of traffickers ... who have lived to tell the tale, it is so disturbing and heartbreaking that you feel compelled to act. You feel compelled to work against it. It's definitely a cause worth fighting for.

>>>>more at link
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/09/30/cnnheroes.mira.sorvino/index.html

I'm thinking of all the children missing that are in this whole mess!

I SIGNED UP TO WALK IN NYC
WALKS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY THE FALL 2010 - Get ready we are walking.....

STOP CHILD TRAFICKING NOW !!!
http://www.sctnow.org/contentpages....guid=0d6f3564-95b6-44c2-8055-ae864fc08730HELP

BRING AWARENESS TO THIS CAUSE

I JUST WALKED and it was very moving :(
The good news is that they are profiling at least 4 perps daily, and there are some people in congress right now who are working to pass a few more legislation's, so we can bust perps much faster.

BALDWIN was there and made me cry he said:

CHILD TRAFICKING IS THE #3 LARGEST CRIME BUSINESS With GUNS being first and DRUGS second.
CHILD TRAFICKING IS A SEVERAL BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS,
And while the borders are more secure, it is happening a lot inland where a child can be locked in some basement or chained to some wall. While you can sell a gun or a drug one time you can sell a child over and over and over again. :eek:uch: :eek:uch: :eek:uch: :help: :help: :help:
Where is the cry smiley... I was so sad during this walk :(

It is still going on Nationally please go help, donate, walk, use your voice for those who have none.
Thanks

I will post pictures when I get them.

The good news is that they are profiling at least 4 perps daily, and there are some people in congress right now who are working to pass a few more legislation's, so we can bust perps much faster.

CHILD TRAFICKING IS THE #3 LARGEST CRIME BUSINESS With GUNS being first and DRUGS second.
And while the borders are more secure, it is happening a lot inland where a child can be locked in some basement or chained to some wall. While you can sell a gun or a drug one time you can sell a child over and over and over again. :eek:uch: :eek:uch: :eek:uch: :help: :help: :help:

It is still going on Nationally please go help, donate, walk, use your voice for those who have none.
Thanks

Thank you songline for walking. You are just wonderful. Very moving. You have inspired me to see if they have any walks, meetings in my area. This will be where I donate when I have money.

Goz

Thanks

Songline - WALKING FOR "STOP CHILD TRAFICKING NOW" in NYC 10-9-10. :)
Please remember to contribute, it makes a huge difference.

Attachments

• STOP CHILD TRAFICKING WALK.JPG 2.jpg
    STOP CHILD TRAFICKING WALK.JPG 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 32
Hello everyone,

I am new here and found this by Zahra Bakers threads. I am willing to learn the right and wrong things to say and how to act. I hope that I can fit in wonderfully with your already wonderful community.

I have to say that I have a degree in Criminal Justice and I am amazed at all the things that I see day to day on the television and on the internet. I know that for as many people that try to stop the selling of innocent children there are that many people that continue to do so. There are a few good programs in place to help the girls and boys that get drawn into this and they really do help. I cannot for the life of me remember what the names are off hand but I remember reading about this recently. I also know that with this also comes the pedo department that will constantly be an ongoing issue. I believe that both of these got hundreds of times worse with the internet having made such a big impact on the lives of everyone.

I also believe in my opinion that Zahra was sold...2 the highest bidder! I would have left this in that thread but I believe this is what happened to her. I would not be surprised if EB has been shopping around trying to find someone who wanted Zahra because of her handicap. She finally found someone and they started to pay money for pics and video of the step mom. and dad abusing her. At any rate the time was coming for EB to make good on her agreement with the person who bought her and EB was probably thinking that they would never find her. Well the person did finally catch up with them and she relinquished Zahra and her Monte Carlo. At which point the person who bought her took her back to another country with out so much as a word from officials. She I believe is still alive and this case is not going to stay in NC. If it is as big as I think it is it will be an interpol investigation. BTW that could have been another reason that they changed the way she looked so much. So she wasn't able to be noticed when being looked for.

Again this is all personal opinion, I ultimately want this type of abuse and mistreatment of our babies to stop. And I say a prayer every night for all of them.

TY all so much for being so dedicated to getting the word out and making human traficking a topic of conversations. I do not stop by this thread much, not that I am unconcerned, just that I am at my limit with what my soul can endure here at WS.

That combined with a personal history of sexual abuse as a child, it makes this place one I can only visit occassionally.

Please know that my heart is with you all as you tackle this topic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back