Hunter bags 1100 pound "Hogzilla"

lizzybeth said:
Oceanblueyes, I live in an area that has alot of deer. I understand just because I don't approve of hunting doesn't mean it should be outlawed. I just wish there were a more humane way to weed out some of the deer population. We just had a new thing where for a few days each year hunters could hunt bear in the Great Dismal Swamp. So many hunters wanted to hunt that they had to have a lottery. Do I believe that any of these hunters were going to eat the bear after they killed it? Nah, they wanted to have their picture taken with it and possibly stuff it and have it in their office/home. We had a guy upstairs here at the office that was a hunter and had a bear rug, dear head on the wall and a stuffed bobcat. I doubt very seriously he ate or donated the meat of any of those animals.
If you're hungry, fine, kill a deer and feed your family. Otherwise I think they should be left alone.
As far as Hogzilla, yeah, he needed to be removed whether by hunters or relocated. I don't disagree with that. I have alot of respect for animals, wild and domesticated. I just don't like seeing people display their dead bodies as if they've really accomplished something...killing a more than likely defenseless animal. Give Hogzilla a gun and make it even. Most of the hunters now a days use so many gadgets the animals don't even have a chance just using their natural instincts.
Sorry, for the rant. I just can't believe that the hunters are all out there for the good of the human race. Saving us from deer.

Hi Lizzy!

I do understand your rant lol as you call it but I do not agree with how dismal you paint it. The thousands of poor cattle and pigs that are killed daily are certainly not treated as humanely when they are killed in a slaughter house as a hunter who drops the deer with no forewarning to let the animal even know they are in danger. It is over before they knew it. In slaughter houses you can hear the cows and pigs protesting as they are herded in to be slaughtered.

I beg to differ, many trophy hunters do donate the meat, bear, deer or otherwise to those who are in need of it.

Do you realize that the more the hunter can insure his weapon accuracy it is much better for the animal as it leaves less room for mishots? We are a hunting family and have been for decades. One deer, one shot, that is it. I am not sure what you mean as "gadgets". Most hunters use a rifle and a scope.

It has nothing to do with being hungry! :laugh: The deer meat is a very healthy meat and far better to eat than cow or pig. Even though our family eats all kinds of meat (chicken, beef,pork, seafood and of course deer meat)

Well respectfully I think you are wrong Lizzy, the hunters have been here for hundreds of years and they are valuable in making our planet work. If the hunters stops hunting then the DNR will have no choice but to shoot the deer themselves to insure that the herds do not become overpopulated, invading our highways and become hungry or diseased.

And I have always been amazed through the years at how many missing people, who have been murdered, were found by hunters who go where others dont go, even LE.

IMO

Ocean

Excellent Post Ocean!!!

We have many many friends who are hunters and none of them "trophy" hunt.
I did know one person who "trophy" hunted.. My Friends hubby.
He went to Africa to do so. The meat was given to the locals and the hide would be sent back here. Which took many months and cost a fortune and IMO helped the economy there.
Since the beginning of humankind people have hunted. For food or for warmth of the fur or to prove they could.
It was a natural balance. Somehow people have forgotten that.
Instinct dictates that humans behave a certain way. Its sad that as society "grows" we remove ourselves further from our fundimental origins.
I wonder if in doing so it causes more of the chaos and crime we read here.

We'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree Oceanblueyes. I do agree with you though that it is more humane to shoot an animal (on the condition you kill it with the first shot) than it is to have one killed in a slaughterhouse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back