Hurricane Hilary threatens California, August 2023

HmmMysterious

Reaction score
Hurricane Hilary, which is a major hurricane at this time, is forecast to do the impossible - potentially making a landfall in California. It will bring a range of life-threatening hazards for California and neighboring states this upcoming weekend.

Hilary is predicted to approach the Baja California on Saturday August 19, 2023 and cause floods in Southern California, Nevada and Arizona beginning that Saturday and into next week. Computer models and the National Weather Service forecasts are showing the potential for 2 to 10-plus inches of rain to fall in Southern California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah including in drought-stricken areas. About 26 million people were placed under flash flood watches for the hurricane.

The metro areas of San Diego and Los Angeles are forecast to see heavy rains peaking on August 20-21, 2023. Some spots in the desert Southwest could pick up a year or more of typical rainfall in just 2-3 days.

There is A LOT of uncertainty about Hilary's track and if she arrives in the Southwest as an intact tropical system. Even in a weakened state, high winds can cause damage across Southern California, particularly to tall buildings.

A damaging, even disastrous tropical storm-related is increasingly likely for Southern California and other Southwestern states beginning on August 19, 2023, but uncertainty remains over how intense Hilary will be at that point and her precise path.

Hurricane Hilary.jpg234623_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH has been issued for portions of SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, the first time that the National Hurricane Center has ever issued a watch for that region.

Hilary is a Category 4 hurricane with winds of 145 mph and a pressure of 939 mb.

145329_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

"Tropical Storms" are no joke, the wind moves so slowly that rain bands just keep coming in from the ocean. Swirling around and dumping rain. I remember TS Faye in Florida, the rain never stopped! 30 inches in 2 days!

From NHC:

...HILARY REMAINS A POWERFUL CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE... ...LIFE-THREATENING AND POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC FLOODING LIKELY OVER MUCH OF BAJA CALIFORNIA AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THIS WEEKEND AND EARLY NEXT WEEK...

204813_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I'm in San Diego. Last night the hurricane was all over the local news. Today--basically nada.

It's infuriating.
Do you mean no news today, or no storming as predicted?
I was on a Zoom meeting this morning with colleagues in the San Diego area. They did say there's not much happening, just some wind.
Further north near LA, I've received three alerts so far for my area....though I'm right on the coast.

I was on a Zoom meeting this morning with colleagues in the San Diego area. They did say there's not much happening, just some wind.
Further north near LA, I've received three alerts so far for my area....though I'm right on the coast.
We have flash flood warning with it all.
Bobcat Fire area, foothills of the San Gabriels.
We shall see.
I have battened down the hatch. (Basement door)
Must check for Hurricane ingredients next.:cool:

Not much happening...yet that is

From Z 107.7:

• Twentynine Palms
    • State Route 62 is closed from 2.9 mi east of Twentynine Palms / at Easy St/ (San Bernardino Co) to the Jct of SR 177 (Riverside Co) – Due to flooding – Motorists are advised to use an alternate route.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back