Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

I’m praying it doesn’t go in Tampa Bay. My daughter lives on the water and would have to evacuate to my house with her newborn. Which isn’t bad, except she also comes with 2 cats and 2 80-lb horses…I mean husky’s. I already have 3 cats and two 10-lb purse-pups. That’s a lot of chaos under one small roof!

I’m praying it doesn’t go in Tampa Bay. My daughter lives on the water and would have to evacuate to my house with her newborn. Which isn’t bad, except she also comes with 2 cats and 2 80-lb horses…I mean husky’s. I already have 3 cats and two 10-lb purse-pups. That’s a lot of chaos under one small roof!
I have a cousin in St Petersburg, FL, with hurricane windows as of year or so ago. I have a newly adopted sister in Cocoa Beach, FL across from the ocean. Brother and nephew in Port Charlotte, FL and step brother in New Smyrna Beach, FL, just a sand dune and then the ocean. Not counting friends.

Wow, your daughter has to be worrying every time and now a new baby. Florida when you think about It is surrounded by water. Prayers for your family in Tampa Bay area.

That would be a houseful! I hope the storm doesn't cause a major problem for you and your family.

I have a cousin in St Petersburg, FL, with hurricane windows as of year or so ago. I have a newly adopted sister in Cocoa Beach, FL across from the ocean. Brother and nephew in Port Charlotte, FL and step brother in New Smyrna Beach, FL, just a sand dune and then the ocean. Not counting friends.

Wow, your daughter has to be worrying every time and now a new baby. Florida when you think about It is surrounded by water. Prayers for your family in Tampa Bay area.
Thank you and same to yours. The new models are disagreeing some. I hate the wait to see which way it is going to go.

NHC said that the depression in the Caribbean has become Ian. Seems like another I name will be added to the retired list.

Tropical Storm Ian Forecast Discussion

Forecast models on Saturday morning vary on where Ian may make landfall on Florida's coast. The European model shows landfall near Fort Myers on Wednesday afternoon, while the American model shows landfall near the Big Bend region of the state early Friday morning.

The official hurricane center track splits the difference between the models, showing landfall near Tampa on Wednesday night.

The list includes some of the most notorious recent hurricanes, including a stretch of four straight years kicking off the new century with a retired I:
  • Ida 2021: Storm surge and rainfall flooding in Louisiana, then flash flooding in the Northeast
  • Irma 2017: Carved destructive path from the northeast Caribbean Islands to Florida
  • Ingrid (2013): Triggered deadly flooding/mudslides (in addition to eastern Pacific Manuel) in Mexico
  • Irene (2011): While proving a close call for storm surge in New York City (later smashed by Superstorm Sandy), catastrophic flooding in parts of Vermont, New York and Pennsylvania
  • Igor (2010): Most damaging hurricane in recent history for Newfoundland; also struck Bermuda
  • Ike (2008): Massive storm surge on upper Texas, Louisiana coast; high wind event well inland to Ohio Valley and beyond
  • Ivan (2004): Devastated Grand Cayman; 10- to 15-foot surge along U.S. Gulf Coast; 120 tornadoes in U.S.
  • Isabel (2003): One of most significant hurricanes to hit eastern Virginia since Hazel (1954); storm surge up Chesapeake Bay
  • Isidore (2002): Heavy damage to agricultural interests in western Cuba, Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
  • Iris (2001): Devastated southern Belize as a Category 4 hurricane

Last edited:

Forecast models on Saturday morning vary on where Ian may make landfall on Florida's coast. The European model shows landfall near Fort Myers on Wednesday afternoon, while the American model shows landfall near the Big Bend region of the state early Friday morning.

The official hurricane center track splits the difference between the models, showing landfall near Tampa on Wednesday night.

The list includes some of the most notorious recent hurricanes, including a stretch of four straight years kicking off the new century with a retired I:
  • Ida 2021: Storm surge and rainfall flooding in Louisiana, then flash flooding in the Northeast
  • Irma 2017: Carved destructive path from the northeast Caribbean Islands to Florida
  • Ingrid (2013): Triggered deadly flooding/mudslides (in addition to eastern Pacific Manuel) in Mexico
  • Irene (2011): While proving a close call for storm surge in New York City (later smashed by Superstorm Sandy), catastrophic flooding in parts of Vermont, New York and Pennsylvania
  • Igor (2010): Most damaging hurricane in recent history for Newfoundland; also struck Bermuda
  • Ike (2008): Massive storm surge on upper Texas, Louisiana coast; high wind event well inland to Ohio Valley and beyond
  • Ivan (2004): Devastated Grand Cayman; 10- to 15-foot surge along U.S. Gulf Coast; 120 tornadoes in U.S.
  • Isabel (2003): One of most significant hurricanes to hit eastern Virginia since Hazel (1954); storm surge up Chesapeake Bay
  • Isidore (2002): Heavy damage to agricultural interests in western Cuba, Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula
  • Iris (2001): Devastated southern Belize as a Category 4 hurricane
This made me recall how Isabel affected us. We lived in northern Virginia at the time. My husband was in an ICU on life support. It was a very scary time for me, but he was in an induced coma and had no idea what was going on. When I went home to take care of our cats, there was no power, and stoplights between the hospital and our home were out. Trees and branches were down in our neighborhood but fortunately, there was no damage to our house. After three weeks in the hospital, DH had surgery to replace his aortic valve and got a double bypass at the same time. Thank God, he survived and is here today watching a football game!

For real….

Snip:

When there's a hurricane in the forecast, the last place you want to see Weather Channel meteorologist Jim Cantore, is in your neighborhood.

If you’re in Sarasota county you can get free sandbags. Of course you have to fill them yourself. Drove by the Ed Smith stadium and saw a lot of people and it’s being patrolled for safety.

Attachments

• 3AB7162E-929A-48C7-81B0-EEB33441E7F1.jpeg
    3AB7162E-929A-48C7-81B0-EEB33441E7F1.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
Ian has shifted a bit to the east per the 11pm update, prompting tropical storm warnings just south of me. But that will change overnight. Stay tuned and stay safe if you're in the cone.

@PayrollNerd Just out of curiosity, where are you (generally speaking of course)

I'm in the southeast corner of Alabama...

@PayrollNerd Just out of curiosity, where are you (generally speaking of course)

I'm in the southeast corner of Alabama...
I’m in Sarasota up by the airport. I’ve lived in FL for years, both coasts, and I’m actually concerned this time. It doesn’t have to come ashore for catastrophic damage to occur.

My youngest daughter lives in Clearwater and my oldest lives in downtown Tampa.

For now. Clearwater daughter is heading to sister’s house in downtown Tampa and will make a decision later to move to Orlando as someone offered them shelter there.

I’m in Sarasota up by the airport. I’ve lived in FL for years, both coasts, and I’m actually concerned this time. It doesn’t have to come ashore for catastrophic damage to occur.
I’m concerned about this one too @PayrollNerd . I’m afraid no matter where you reside on this peninsula you will feel the wrath of this enormous storm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back