Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

First, the storm. Then, a plague of insects.

Hordes of mosquitoes have proliferated in floodwater and debris left in Hurricane Ian’s wake, and now swarm Florida communities.

State and local officials are waging a multimillion-dollar war against the bloodsucking insects — which are known to spread diseases like West Nile virus and St. Louis encephalitis — as they try to keep residents safe and prevent the voracious insects from slowing down the recovery crews working to fix power lines and rebuild infrastructure.

"The mosquitoes are out there, and they’re biting," said Eric Jackson, the deputy director of the Lee County Mosquito Control Division. "It is just a constant effort to knock down as many of those flying, adult mosquitoes as fast as we can."...
I think it was 3-4 days after the hurricane moved thru, the mosquito truck came thru the neighborhood. I have not noticed an increase in them here in north Sarasota. I have wetlands in my backyard (it butts up to a commercial area) and expected them to be bad.

I’m putting in my garden this week and my plan is to be out in the mornings, not evenings.

First, the storm. Then, a plague of insects.

Hordes of mosquitoes have proliferated in floodwater and debris left in Hurricane Ian’s wake, and now swarm Florida communities.

State and local officials are waging a multimillion-dollar war against the bloodsucking insects — which are known to spread diseases like West Nile virus and St. Louis encephalitis — as they try to keep residents safe and prevent the voracious insects from slowing down the recovery crews working to fix power lines and rebuild infrastructure.

"The mosquitoes are out there, and they’re biting," said Eric Jackson, the deputy director of the Lee County Mosquito Control Division. "It is just a constant effort to knock down as many of those flying, adult mosquitoes as fast as we can."...
Ahh, The lovely smell of Deet.

DEET and plastics do not play nicely together. Will ruin your sunglasses, watch crystals, gps display, plastic covers/screens.
JMO

Hurricane Ian killed at least 148 people in Florida, most of them in coastal communities where the danger of storm surge is well documented but not widely understood. Scores drowned as they fled on foot, while in their cars or after seawater swallowed their homes. More than a dozen survived the flood itself but suffered life-threatening medical emergencies; by the time the storm finally allowed paramedics through, nine of them had died.

Ian was one of the deadliest hurricanes to hit the U.S. in the past 20 years.

Much of the catastrophic toll was foreseeable and preventable, an NBC News investigation found. The late September storm exposed shortcomings in how local governments communicate the risk posed by hurricanes, decide when to order evacuations and identify and help the most vulnerable residents.

Ian also illustrated the challenge of protecting densely populated waterfront communities from extreme weather worsened by climate change; thousands of coastal residents chose not to evacuate. Some said they didn’t have enough warning, while others were unaware of the danger or lacked the resources to leave.

The investigation was based on a review of hundreds of death records, an examination of flood maps and interviews with survivors, victims’ relatives, service providers, disaster preparedness experts and current and former public officials...

Hotels, restaurants, beaches are opening again. So glad their tourist business is returning. So many business suffered a devastating blow. People can get back to work and get back on their feet.

Right now, enormous piles of debris are commonplace in Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel, and concrete slabs show where buildings had been before they were either washed away or demolished. Despite this debris issue, most of the hotel rooms in Fort Myers are open again, according to representatives from Fort Myers – Islands, Beaches and Neighborhoods.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back