Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

Report from Palestine, Texas, 200 miles from Galveston on way to Tyler.

We dodged a bullet here. Some have lost power. We kept ours. No downed trees, four inches of rain and it is fairly quiet. A lot of downed small limbs, leaves and debris but no damage at all. I guess we must be ideally located. I think we were on the west side of the storm so we didn't get the worse. There are some occasional wind gusts but no problems to speak of. Still raining; we can use the rain but otherwise we were extremely lucky. For those not so lucky, I can only imagine what it was like to have had those winds come in. I understand winds in excess of 30 mph can result in downed trees. Still getting occasional gusts. We must be on the south side of the storm as it should now be north of us up near I20.

Everyone stay vigilant until this thing is over. Not fun.

Surfside survivor

Ray Wilkinson doesn't consider himself a hero for being the only Surfside Beach resident to ride out Hurricane Ike in his home.

Rather, the 67-year-old Marine Corps veteran considers himself to be the only one "stupid enough" to stay behind.

"I'm just a crazy, old hardhead," said Wilkinson, while sitting on the front porch of his Fort Velasco Boulevard apartment today. "I didn't say I had all my marbles."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5999563.html

Report from Palestine, Texas, 200 miles from Galveston on way to Tyler.

We dodged a bullet here. Some have lost power. We kept ours. No downed trees, four inches of rain and it is fairly quiet. A lot of downed small limbs, leaves and debris but no damage at all. I guess we must be ideally located. I think we were on the west side of the storm so we didn't get the worse. There are some occasional wind gusts but no problems to speak of. Still raining; we can use the rain but otherwise we were extremely lucky. For those not so lucky, I can only imagine what it was like to have had those winds come in. I understand winds in excess of 30 mph can result in downed trees. Still getting occasional gusts. We must be on the south side of the storm as it should now be north of us up near I20.

Everyone stay vigilant until this thing is over. Not fun.

Good to hear from you MM. Glad you are making it through.

Looking at the damage from some of the beach front areas.. wow. there are a lot ot totally destroyed or missing homes.. I hope there was no one who chose to stay in any of those that washed out to sea or were totally destroy.. and hopefully those animals left behind were able to find a safe spot to ride out the storm.. but I fear that many of those left behind have been lost. Glad to hear our WS'ers checking in and that they have made it thru safely..

Terrebonne Parish has been innudated with water. Several levees and at least one pump station were breached; power has been cut off (to those who had it restored following Gustav); and areas that didn't flood from Rita have flooded from Ike.

I hope our friends in LA are ok... and prayers to *all* impacted by Ike...

Terrebonne Parish has been innudated with water. Several levees and at least one pump station were breached; power has been cut off (to those who had it restored following Gustav); and areas that didn't flood from Rita have flooded from Ike.

I hope our friends in LA are ok... and prayers to *all* impacted by Ike...

Looks like 10 Parishes in Louisiana are in dire straights according to this link. Unable to reach my relatives in the area due to phone outages but will keep trying.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

I finally came across a live website tonight through Fox, cant post direct as if I log out may not find it again. Believe it is Foxnews Houston Live , appears to be programming from Fox in Houston.. Breaks my heart looking at the pix (this is where I grew up) I hope everyone is safe! One good thing with Electricty in TX, Dallas and the other major cities are great about sending their crews in to help (did in after Katrina also) So, I "think" and hoping it will be back on quicker than is expected.

Also for those there w/o electricty battling the mosquitos (which I KNOW are big and MANY!!) Here's a little tidbit that may help, my family has tried it and swears it worked..

Place Listerine in a spray bottle (below where not to spray :)

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle (Listerine) from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

Wow Patty, I hope there is no structural damage. You have a beautiful home and a beautiful pool. glad you are ok!

snip...Four deaths have been blamed on Ike so far: two in Texas and two in Louisiana, according to the Associated Press.

snip...Bush said the federal government is providing 1.5 million liters of water and 1 million meals a day to help the displaced. He also mentioned restoring electricity, clearing debris and getting the Houston sewage plant running again as top goals.

"Our first priority is search and rescue," Bush told reporters.

snip... In Galveston, the worst-hit city and the place where the massive storm's eye made landfall, authorities were still unsure whether there were fatalities among the thousands of residents who ignored warnings to flee. Rescue workers were moving block by block across 32-mile Galveston Island and had found no fatalities by the 11-mile marker. But they were concerned that there could be deaths on the more devastated western side of the island, which still lay ahead.

"We haven't even gotten to the west end, and I know the west end is totally devastated," City Manager Steve LeBlanc said. Two apartment buildings in the eastern part of town collapsed. "We don't know if there are people in there or not," LeBlanc said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/09/14/ST2008091400700.html

So far the death toll is a lot less than expected which is great.

I wish GW would shut up on issues like this. Meals and water..... those are what are given out by the Red Cross. The Red Cross is a private entity, they recieve some government funding but rely mainly on private donations and volunteers. They aren't government. They do work in conjunction with FEMA, but they work independently too.

The search and rescue is being handled by local fire departments, and local LE and private individuals. FEMA helps to coordinate and provides some resources, but they can't and don't do the searching.

I hate it when the prez tries to take credit for the government that the government is not entitled to. The credit should go to those authorities, organizations, enitites and individuals who are actually doing the work! Okay, rant over.

And BTW GW, gas gouging started before Ike even made landfall. The price of crude went down, but the price at the pumps went up.

I'm in St Louis and we have some major flooding here from the remnants of Ike. They are using boats to get people out of apartments. Cars completely submerged under water. It is crazy. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in the actual hurricane.

I'm in St Louis and we have some major flooding here from the remnants of Ike. They are using boats to get people out of apartments. Cars completely submerged under water. It is crazy. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be in the actual hurricane.

Good grief!! My original home town. What part of the St. Louis area would this be? Did you get that much rain? I remember Valley Park and that area would always be subject to flooding, but St. Louis proper? I don't recall I have ever heard that before. The flooding from the 1993 floods was as bad as I can recall with water over part of Interstate 44 at the 141 intersection. And there were a number of homes submerged out near Union by the river nearby.

I'm guessing maybe around Mehlville or Arnold, perhaps.

Good grief!! My original home town. What part of the St. Louis area would this be? Did you get that much rain? I remember Valley Park and that area would always be subject to flooding, but St. Louis proper? I don't recall I have ever heard that before. The flooding from the 1993 floods was as bad as I can recall with water over part of Interstate 44 at the 141 intersection. And there were a number of homes submerged out near Union by the river nearby.

I'm guessing maybe around Mehlville or Arnold, perhaps.

I'm up in Florissant. One of the girls that goes to my church has her daughter's bedroom in the basement...when she got up this morning she was knee deep in water. Walgreens has water ni it and Baskin Robbins look like white water rafting is going on there. It's crazy. The rain is done now but my ex works at the Auto Zone down the street and the Corp of Engineers is telling him 3 days before they can re open their store because even when the water goes down everythng will have to be disinfected.

I can't even imagine what it must be like to be in Texas. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone down there.

Here's the grocery store that I usually shop at....in St Louis!

dier.jpg

Wow, not to take away for Texas, but I live in St. Louis too. Is that picture from Lindbergh and by Hart Auto Body?? I am in New Town in St.Charles right now and we had minimal damage. However, we were told to not use much water or flush toilets since the sewers in St. Chas are backed up. You are right, I cannot imagine how bad things are in Texas and Louisiana. I have a home in Eureka, MO, but I've called down there and things don't sound too bad - deck furniture missing, mailboxes blowing away, some water damage.

Wow, not to take away for Texas, but I live in St. Louis too. Is that picture from Lindbergh and by Hart Auto Body?? I am in New Town in St.Charles right now and we had minimal damage. However, we were told to not use much water or flush toilets since the sewers in St. Chas are backed up. You are right, I cannot imagine how bad things are in Texas and Louisiana. I have a home in Eureka, MO, but I've called down there and things don't sound too bad - deck furniture missing, mailboxes blowing away, some water damage.

Small world! "On a hilltop in Missouri..." the opening lines of my high school anthem (Eureka) where I graduated in 1961. I wonder how much rain they got up there and this from Ike? Goodness gracious.

As a point of information, where we live we were on the west side of the path which is a good thing. We were spared the worst part of the storm as opposed to the east side of the storm which is referred to as the "dirty side". I just checked our rain gauge and we only received a total of 4.45 inches of rain although we live but 200 miles from Galveston. And we lost not a single tree; only a few twigs and small limbs and lots of leaves which I can chop up with the mower. Just to the immediate south and to the east they got whacked pretty hard from what I gather. I can only imagine what it might be like to be without power for weeks as they are saying. From the news channels it showed that 90% of the customers of Centerpoint Energy which services that part of Texas was without power.

At least we didn't have the large death toll of third world nations. I would hope that in the coming years these hurricanes will die down and not be a constant threat hanging over everyone's heads.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorianM4C
Back