Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

BirdieBoo said:
About the clothing donations: Here's an article, they say clothing donations aren't a good idea right now.

What we have done, and what we are doing, is cleaning out our closets and auctioning items on ebay through MissionFish and ebay giving works. The way it works is that you can auction items and designate a percent of the proceeds (up to 100%) towards particular charities of your own choosing. Right now, our donations are going to United Way of Greater New Orleans, and Salvation Army.

It's something that works for us, it may not work for other people, I don't have much cash on hand to donate since I JUST went back to school full time and spent a boatload of money on books and supplies, Ebay auctioning is a bit of work but I can feel good about the fact that I am generating some money for charity by work I can actually do right at home.

Just something to think about, I know some of the other WS peeps sell on ebay, too.

Also, if it's not against your religion: DONATE BLOOD!

Birdie,
I had no idea this was the case. I hope 'shopper' is reading. I think I may have given her bad advice. My own church is organizing a clothing drive. I'm going to email your article to the lady in charge of this. We need to change plans. Thanks for the info.
Deb

amandab said:
Does anyone know if the water is still rising?

They're reporting that it is. Someone at the pentagon was interviewed - she said the military is being sent in to try to repair the levees.

BirdieBoo said:
About the clothing donations: Here's an article, they say clothing donations aren't a good idea right now.

What we have done, and what we are doing, is cleaning out our closets and auctioning items on ebay through MissionFish and ebay giving works. The way it works is that you can auction items and designate a percent of the proceeds (up to 100%) towards particular charities of your own choosing. Right now, our donations are going to United Way of Greater New Orleans, and Salvation Army.

It's something that works for us, it may not work for other people, I don't have much cash on hand to donate since I JUST went back to school full time and spent a boatload of money on books and supplies, Ebay auctioning is a bit of work but I can feel good about the fact that I am generating some money for charity by work I can actually do right at home.

Just something to think about, I know some of the other WS peeps sell on ebay, too.

Also, if it's not against your religion: DONATE BLOOD!

Thank you for that link Birdie, it doesn't surprise me that clothing donations can be a burden for the workers. I'll just hang onto them and keep my eyes and ears open for a place to send them if/when they are needed. I'd be willing to donate it to an organization that will sell them and they can send the money to FEMA or Red Cross, etc.

I know what you mean about school and spending a ton of money on tuition and books/supplies. Books are a rip-off!!! So I just don't have much extra at this time. I go full-time and don't have time to bother with selling it on Ebay, I'd rather give it to the needy.

Mabel said:
From what I'm seeing on TV, I can't understand how they're opening any businesses. The roads are mostly impassable. There is no water or power, gas lines are broken and uncapped. Fires are breaking out all over the place. It seems impossible.
I'm thinking that the places have generators and stocked up on water... I don't know about the restrooms, though.

If I were still in town, I would do my best to head out, if possible. Is it possible to leave now?? Are planes able to fly in and out of the airport??

nanandjim said:
I'm thinking that the places have generators and stocked up on water... I don't know about the restrooms, though.

If I were still in town, I would do my best to head out, if possible. Is it possible to leave now?? Are planes able to fly in and out of the airport??

Something I read earlier said both airports in NOLA are under water.

nanandjim said:

Last I knew both airports were stil underwater.

nanandjim said:

I'll take this one, Nan. New Orleans has had a complete failure of the sewer system. No toilets are flushing anywhere and what sewer not in a toilet is spilling over into the streets. Both airports are under water.

Only the military can help now.

shopper said:
Thank you for that link Birdie, it doesn't surprise me that clothing donations can be a burden for the workers. I'll just hang onto them and keep my eyes and ears open for a place to send them if/when they are needed. I'd be willing to donate it to an organization that will sell them and they can send the money to FEMA or Red Cross, etc.

I know what you mean about school and spending a ton of money on tuition and books/supplies. Books are a rip-off!!! So I just don't have much extra at this time. I go full-time and don't have time to bother with selling it on Ebay, I'd rather give it to the needy.

Y/W Shopper. I have some bags of clothes, as well as other household items including furniture and I contacted the Salvation army and they said they will take donations of items right now, but they won't go directly to the hurricane victims, they'll just be sold in the stores as usual.

So I decided to sell them myself and donate 100% of the proceeds to the charities. The charities right now need CASH, so this way I get rid of my stuff to someone who wants it, and the charities get a check from ebay.

concernedperson said:
I'll take this one, Nan. New Orleans has had a complete failure of the sewer system. No toilets are flushing anywhere and what sewer not in a toilet is spilling over into the streets. Both airports are under water.

Only the military can help now.
Thanks. I can only say that I bet the people who evacuated are thanking God that they heeded the warning and were able to get out in time. I can only see it getting worse before it gets better...

BirdieBoo said:
Y/W Shopper. I have some bags of clothes, as well as other household items including furniture and I contacted the Salvation army and they said they will take donations of items right now, but they won't go directly to the hurricane victims, they'll just be sold in the stores as usual.

So I decided to sell them myself and donate 100% of the proceeds to the charities. The charities right now need CASH, so this way I get rid of my stuff to someone who wants it, and the charities get a check from ebay.

I want anything I have to give to go directly to the victims of Katrina, and those that were hit the hardest, not my local Salvation Army, so thanks for the info. Not to be ugly, but that's just my feelings.

I'll just hang onto them for the time being and be searching for an organization that wants them or can sell them and give the money to the victims. I know everyone has good intentions but I want it to be a need and not a burden to all the workers.

P.S. Water "lapping at the foot" of the Superdome, Gov. Kathleen Blanco on CNN now.

shopper said:
P.S. Water "lapping at the foot" of the Superdome, Gov. Kathleen Blanco on CNN now.

Does anyone know how high above sea level the SuperDome is? Would give a decent estimate as to how high the water has risen........

kahskye said:
Yeah, I was watching the news last night showing a bar open on Bourbon St. The owner was celebrating and there were quite a few people drinking and cheering that they made it through Hurricane Katrina. Even tho curfew was 8 p.m. and it was 9 p.m., police weren't doing much about them. Last I heard, Bourbon St. had 9" of water. I'm sure it's higher now. Poor people!
The bar owner said it turned into a "Hurricane Party." Their celebration was a bit too premature.

amandab said:
Last I knew both airports were stil underwater.

And CNN reported earlier there is only one road out of NO now....but they don't know how long it will be open. I don't imagine NO has a way to get 20,000 people currently at the dome out of town on that one road when none of those folks have transportation. I know they are in a dark hole, not knowing how bad things are all around them, but CNN said that some of the stranded there are going outside on the circular catwalk type thing and all they can see is water, so they must realize that even tho it's bad at the dome, there is nowhere they can go.

amandab said:
Does anyone know how high above sea level the SuperDome is? Would give a decent estimate as to how high the water has risen........

Fox News just reported 3 foot of water surrounding Super Dome. Don't know how far above sea level they are though.

We finally heard from our in-laws and sister-in-law. In-laws sustained some minor roof damage and lots of branches down - but no water. They are headed home. They will have no power but are stopping to buy a generator.

SIL had no damage at all but some branches down. A neighbor a few houses down had a tree fall on her house. They are still planning on coming to our house for a week or so or until power is restored. They will be here tomorrow.

All-in-all, they have been very lucky.

amandab said:

Sorry, I don't know that info. It would've been okay if the levee's hadn't broke.

BTW, have any of you seen that footage of I-10, just broken into pieces. I believe it's over Lake Ponchatrain. I've always been a little nervous going over that stretch of road.

shopper said:
I want anything I have to give to go directly to the victims of Katrina, and those that were hit the hardest, not my local Salvation Army, so thanks for the info. Not to be ugly, but that's just my feelings.
I know Shopper. That's how I feel as well, I know the Salvation Army is helping, but I want assistance to be as direct as possible to those victims who need help. That's why I decided to go my own route with this, My local SA store is full of stuff already and I am a really good ebay seller, so I know I'll be able to make some money for them this way, that's money I wouldn't ordinarily have right now to give. So basically, I'm donating my time to raise funds by selling our stuff.

Plus I have a lot of stuff that hurricane victims may not want or need immediately, like home decor items and designer purses, which don't make much sense for people who don't even have a home anymore and are just trying to get through the day.

I'm trying to find out if there's some way to donate other care items that people may need, such as toothbrushes, diapers, etc, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

shopper said:
Sorry, I don't know that info. It would've been okay if the levee's hadn't broke.

BTW, have any of you seen that footage of I-10, just broken into pieces. I believe it's over Lake Ponchatrain. I've always been a little nervous going over that stretch of road.

The footage they've been showing is the Causeway from Metairie to Mandeville. But, I suspect I-10 has some damage too.

I'm listening to talk radio and they just had someone from New Orleans on stating that they could be without power up to 60 (YES, 60) days. OMG! Those poor people.

Are there any websites set up for Red Cross and Salvation Army credit card donations? If so, could someone post them?

Shadow205 said:
jodieo said:
17_1_10.gif
17_1_10.gif
17_1_10.gif
17_1_10.gif
Prayers for all of the people affected by this tragedy. Our local red cross headed down there last night and we have several funds for the victims set up at local banks. I hope the waters recede quickly and we can all start to help our nation rebuild the affected areas.
As for the looters- isn't the National Guard patroling the areas?[/QUOTE]

Search and rescue is more important at this time than catching looters. Not saying that it is OK to loot but rescuing these people is a priority.

yeah..rescue the looters:clap:

BirdieBoo said:
I know Shopper. That's how I feel as well, I know the Salvation Army is helping, but I want assistance to be as direct as possible to those victims who need help. That's why I decided to go my own route with this, My local SA store is full of stuff already and I am a really good ebay seller, so I know I'll be able to make some money for them this way, that's money I wouldn't ordinarily have right now to give. So basically, I'm donating my time to raise funds by selling our stuff.

Plus I have a lot of stuff that hurricane victims may not want or need immediately, like home decor items and designer purses, which don't make much sense for people who don't even have a home anymore and are just trying to get through the day.

I'm trying to find out if there's some way to donate other care items that people may need, such as toothbrushes, diapers, etc, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

My feelings exactly!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back