Hurricane Sandy updates

Henry Margusity ‏@Accu_Henry
Some tremendous winds in bands across New England now.Boston 60 mph. Tornado threat may develop too.

My parents live in Middlesex County, NJ (Central Jersey) and they lost power.

Way-hay my furbaby just did his business now we really can "hunker down".

How are our DC area folks doing?

Of course the wind has picked up now that it's dark. We were closing the blinds earlier and spotted a very confused deer in our backyard..not sure if it was seeking shelter or just a snack, since it was nosing the grass as we watched.

The dog has hidden under the desk where she goes whenever it storms. It's a little nervewracking because our house is a single level, so we have no basement to go to in this weather.

I think the worst part of the storm for us is supposed to be now until perhaps 11 pm for high winds.

Stay safe everyone as the worst of this comes thru.

Anyone see the briefing by Cristie about the Mayor of A.C. deciding to keep his people in A.C. in a shelter..........on an island....after a MANDATORY evacuation !!!!!

he was really P'O'ed:what:

Hi all from Australia

Just to let you know, we have live coverage over here on our teles keeping us up to date on what is happening over there, so we too are worried and nervous about you all over there in the firing line.

I went through Cyclone Yasi two years ago and Sandy is twice as big!!! but we were told afterwards that is was because of the size of Yasi that it wasnt as dangerous, because it was not as condensed and intense.

Anyhow we all have our fingers and toes crossed that this thing crosses with as little as loss as possible and minimum destruction

Look after yourself guys and stay safe, the world is thinking of you!

Lower Manhattan transformers are exploding one after the other. Water pouring in to reporter's location. ConEd had hoped to avoid this, but no...will update as I hear it (on the link I posted above).

Just as an aside, I bet we see a huge jump in babies being born in just about 9 months from now...LOL...like happened with the great blackout in NYC a few decades ago. Liquor, cabin fever, and fear...yep, gonna have lots o' babies from this storm indeed.

Best-
Herding Cats

Anyone see the briefing by Cristie about the Mayor of A.C. deciding to keep his people in A.C. in a shelter..........on an island....after a MANDATORY evacuation !!!!!

he was really P'O'ed:what:
Shows what he's made of, and I'd say this no matter his political affiliation. A temper tantrum in the middle of a hurricane - that'll help. Failure to acknowledge that i) some people don't have vehicles; ii) some people have nowhere to go; iii) some people have no money or credit cards to pay for gas and accomodations.

What AC mayor did - setting up shelters in schools - was actually an intelligent decision, taking those things into account. Those with the means to do so almost certainly evacuated. In the morning first responders will have to check fewer houses as those who stayed did not shelter in place, but in central locations.

Finally hearing a slight pickup in the wind here in eastern Ohio...when Ike came thru we lost a couple of big oaks in our front yard. Our house used to be surrounded with trees, but we have been thinning them out, due to some of them being unhealthy and just too many too close to the house. Hope what's left stays upright. Oh and get this? Our high school marching band is supposed to march in a local parade tomorrow and they HAVEN'T CANCELLED IT. My daughter is in the band, so I'm less than happy right now. :banghead:

Alana Horowitz ‏@achorowitz
Just spoke to NYPD, they confirmed "partial building collapse" on 8th avenue
The Associated Press ‏@AP
BREAKING: Aiming for Jersey coast, Superstorm Sandy no longer a hurricane but packing high winds.

No longer a hurricane....much worse...now a super storm per Shepherd Smith fox news.

Shows what he's made of, and I'd say this no matter his political affiliation. A temper tantrum in the middle of a hurricane - that'll help. Failure to acknowledge that i) some people don't have vehicles; ii) some people have nowhere to go; iii) some people have no money or credit cards to pay for gas and accomodations.

What AC mayor did - setting up shelters in schools - was actually an intelligent decision, taking those things into account. Those with the means to do so almost certainly evacuated. In the morning first responders will have to check fewer houses as those who stayed did not shelter in place, but in central locations.

exactly.

How are our DC area folks doing?

It is really rainy and windy here in the Baltimore area. I have one kid hiding under his covers in bed because a wind gust rattled the windows. I have another kid overly concerned that our mailbox is going to blow away; she won't stay away from the window so she can watch it blow down the street.

AccuWeather.com ‏@breakingweather
NHC declared Sandy extratropical. They expect landfall in s. New Jersey within the hour.

Goodness... Thinking of you all in NYC and surrounding area.

Don't we have a poster who lives in Manhatten? Songline, right? Hope she and everyone else are doing okay! :please:

Our electric went out earlier but came back on. So far we are just having rain and winds. It's been raining ALL day. Not to bad out there no flooding or anything yet. Schools and stuff around here are closing however a lot of people in my town are pissed because the school here is on 2 hour delay. I had a break down earlier because usually when I got scared of storms my dad was here to calm down. Everything just got to me not having him here. For those that don't know he passed away 5 months ago in April we think of a heart attack. He was on his bike but no injuries. Also I have a friend in New Jersey that I've been really worried about and another in Maryland. They have text me though so far so good.

hollyblue do you have a cell phone? If my electric goes out I can let you know via cell since you are worried. :)

Our electric went out earlier but came back on. So far we are just having rain and winds. It's been raining ALL day. Not to bad out there no flooding or anything yet. Schools and stuff around here are closing however a lot of people in my town are pissed because the school here is on 2 hour delay. I had a break down earlier because usually when I got scared of storms my dad was here to calm down. Everything just got to me not having him here. For those that don't know he passed away 5 months ago in April we think of a heart attack. He was on his bike but no injuries. Also I have a friend in New Jersey that I've been really worried about and another in Maryland. They have text me though so far so good.

hollyblue do you have a cell phone? If my electric goes out I can let you know via cell since you are worried. :)

:hug: I know exactly what you are feeling. I lost my mom one month ago, and through this whole storm I keep finding myself reaching for the phone to check on her, and to talk for reassurance and to calm my own anxiety. My dad passed five yrs ago too, so I've felt a bit like an orphan thru this storm! :blushing:

I've been calling lots of folks in my extended family though, and that has helped. So has being on this thread. Tremendously. Can't thank everyone enough for hanging out with all of us who are hunkered down!!! :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back