Hurricane Sandy updates

Though it's, MSM-wise, only in the Daily Mail and was originally reported by something called DNAinfo.com, this story seems legit. "There are heroes all around us all the time," as POTUS said in Joplin MO after the deadly tornado.

'He looked like he was preparing to die': Young father hailed a hero after wading into flood water to save drowning cab driver (Daily Mail)
As Hurricane Sandy's flood waters rose higher and higher around a stranded New York taxi cab on Monday night its, driver appeared helpless against the 14-foot storm surge that grew to his chin.

But offering a final moment of mercy, witnesses watched as 25-year-old Jon Candelaria selflessly left his Upper East Side apartment to reach the man trapped in the churning water and wind.
---
Standing at 6-feet-5, the East River’s water had swept up to Mr Candelaria's chest as he waded out to the vehicle he had spotted from his seventh floor apartment.
---
Dipping into the water he estimated feeling like 40-degrees, Mr Candelaria said it didn't take long for the water to rise.
---
‘I remember him when he was just a baby in the carriage,’ Rose Bergin a resident of Mr Candelaria’s building told DNA Info. ‘Now he's a hero who grew up right here in public housing.’
---
‘I'm not a hero,’ Mr Candelaria said. ‘What was I supposed to do? Sit at home and watch a man drown and take pictures to post on Facebook? … That's not me.’
---
much more, along with pictures, at link above

What are AMC programmers thinking :waitasec: I wonder if "The Perfect Storm" was previously scheduled to air today (1:00PM) or if AMC chose to show the film in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy. :rolleyes:

I was puzzled. Not anymore. She's black. That's answer enough for me in this country as to why some people wouldn't open their door for her.

I don't feel hinky at all about this story. What, do some of you think she coincidentally killed her kids or something and blamed the storm? That seems farfetched to me.

But again, I don't understand why she was on that particular road of all places, right against the violent sea. It feels like sheer stupidity to me. I;m not sure where she lived but I think there must have been other options. I would have tried to go inland first. Here's a map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fath...F-8&ei=BdqTUOS6GYK4iwLtmYD4CA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

However, if she was trying to get to her mom's house in Brooklyn, I understand why she would be on that road if she lived right near it, but was the bridge even open at that time? Why didn;t she just call her husband and find some other place inland, to go? Just find a hotel or shelter in Staten Island, away from the sea. Or even try to cross into New Jersey before trying to get into Brooklyn?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fath...F-8&ei=BdqTUOS6GYK4iwLtmYD4CA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

BBM. Having been through a few hurricanes myself, I would venture the answer to that question is simply fear. You just can't think clearly when you are scared to death. She was probably on autopilot and just trying to reach her mother - not thinking of alternatives.

Yesterday I read a whole page of tweets about how people where going out looting as soon as the storm hit. Some were even asking who wanted to met up and go together like a coffee date. I believe that is why people don't open their doors.

The more I read, the sadder I am :( Why wouldn't anyone just help.

Help what? Her babies were washed away in a torrent of water. I would have brought her inside, gave her shelter and a shoulder and called 911. I wouldn't go outside to assist her, the search would have yielded the same result. My child needs his mother, I wouldn't be risking my life to recover her children's bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read many comments sections about this, and the lack of sympathy for this woman and her children is disgusting. And I do believe there would be a much different response if the family was white. I have read stories in the past, where a family was outside in a storm, hanging on to a tree, and a child was washed away, and the outpouring was tremendous.

I am not unsympathetic - and apologize if that was the impression I gave. I lived through a tornado when 9 month pregnant, and had a 9 month old baby. I would NOT want to be in her situation.

I was only commenting that there is something strange about this story. MOO only.

thumbnail.php

http://www.gadailynews.com/thumbnai...for_12_hours_304035630.png&size=article_large

ok so now I understand...How so very devastatingly sad...

I think the 'everyone knows Staten Island is racist' statement is painting with an unfairly broad brush. How insulting to that community.

Con Edison map of those effected by power blackouts. The estimated restoration time is Nov. 9th

http://apps.coned.com/stormcenter_external/default.html

Long island is almost all blacked out, another map showing Long Island blackouts. No restoration time given, assessing condition is the best they will give.

http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html

Atlantic city outage map, not looking good. Estimated restoration times Nov. 2nd (today)for most, Nov. 4th for others.

http://www.atlanticcityelectric.com/home/emergency/maps/stormcenter/

Philadelphia outage map, several 10's of thousands without power. No estimate of time of repair.

https://www.peco.com/CustomerService/OutageCenter/OutageMap/Pages/OutageMap.aspx

Editing to complete missing list:

Filly
JerseyGirl
Bogeygal
Trigger
Gmzarmar
Missingm
Thor

I just heard from Thor and he and his family are okay. Just got his power back on. :)

Have we heard from anyone else? Worried....

This story by CNN is substantially different than the one earlier in the thread, right? Or am I imagining something?

Another little snippet from the DM story linked above:
---
Reaching the door he pulled at its handle but found it stuck, unable to budge against the water.

Enlisting the driver's help, whom he said showed only brief panic, he signaled for them to both try on the count of three.

Counting off, he said something unusual happened.

'As soon as I hit three, it seemed like everything became calm,' Mr Candelaria said, describing the wind briefly pausing for the first time.
---

I just saw the man interviewed where she said she knocked on the door. He says no one knocked on the door but there was a man throwing something at the house during the storm. Hmm.

With Love: Postpone the Damn Marathon (thenation.com)
---
Mayor Michael Bloomberg justifed a “business as usual” approach to the marathon by saying simply, “The city is a city where we have to go on.” But this isn’t a psychological issue of people needing to “move on” from the week’s tragedy. Hundreds of thousands, like my mother, have no power. Public transportation is a nightmare and the death toll is still climbing. My friend Anthony from Brooklyn called me up this morning just to vent, saying, “They are still pulling bodies out of people’s homes. How can you divert even one emergency personnel worker for the sake of the marathon? It’s beyond wrong.”
---
the rest of Dave Zirin's article at The Nation link above

So. Do you think the race should be run as scheduled? Arguments can go either way on this.

I think it should be postponed. Not a good idea to hold it after a city got ravaged by Sandy. Also, it could tie up traffic, which could be used for first responders and volunteers.

I just saw the man interviewed where she said she knocked on the door. He says no one knocked on the door but there was a man throwing something at the house during the storm. Hmm.

I just saw the same thing. And now I am in a quandry. What would I do. Raging storm a man throwing blocks at my window. Oh my. It reminds me of the end of the world stories where people have food, others don't and they are trying to break in. I so hope this is not what we have to look forward to. Looting and all that is going on. I am just rambling. sorry!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phillippantuso
Back