"I Was Just Friended By Myself On Facebook (And It Only Gets Weirder From There)"

A few years ago, my husband and I received several friend requests from people with his last name, but he didn't know any of them, so we never friended them. It was funny for awhile, though, we called the people "fake 'last name'"--as in, "Oh, I got a friend request from this person, is that one of your relatives, or a "fake," lol. I don't worry about Facebook too much. I don't use my real name on my account and you can't find me by searching even if you spell it exactly right.

A few years ago, my husband and I received several friend requests from people with his last name, but he didn't know any of them, so we never friended them. It was funny for awhile, though, we called the people "fake 'last name'"--as in, "Oh, I got a friend request from this person, is that one of your relatives, or a "fake," lol. I don't worry about Facebook too much. I don't use my real name on my account and you can't find me by searching even if you spell it exactly right.

I use my real name, but I don't have any part of my account public. Almost all of my "friends" are relatives, and all but 5 of the rest are people I know personally (the rest are friends of other relatives). I also have no personal information in my profile anyway - all of my "friends" already know my address, phone number, age, marital status, etc. I occasionally get a friend request from other people, but if I don't know them, or if I haven't been asked to add them first by someone I trust, I just ignore them. Maybe I'm a Facebook snob, but it works for me!

They say everyone has a twin. If I were you I would contact facebook ask them what happened and what steps you can take for it not to happen again. I have had my entire page disappear. It happened twice so I lost interest, then it happened to a couple of friends of mine.
So I just use the company one. Hope you figure it out.

A friend of mine put up a warning that a virus is going around and IF someone sends a friend request with a name that is already on your friends list...you are to ignore it and delete it, as it is a virus.

A cautionary tale re: social media.

I Was Just Friended By Myself On Facebook (And It Only Gets Weirder From There) (Huffington Post)

and, as Ms. Bosker writes, it only got weirder from there; the story at the link, with pictures

Glossolalia? interesting. Anyway, yes. Facebook is that janus thing--so fun to stay in touch with just about everyone you've ever known--but wait!
Was there a reason you got out of touch in the first place? Let's face it--if we really knew who was looking us up and why no one would be on it. It appeals to the basest and most vulnerable part of us, vanity.

A friend of mine put up a warning that a virus is going around and IF someone sends a friend request with a name that is already on your friends list...you are to ignore it and delete it, as it is a virus.

I was going to post, it's probably a virus.............

I had one that showed up under a picture of me and a friend it said hey and it had a name that I used as a screen name on another forum way back. It freaked me out cause no one knew me outside that forum. Next day I was doing some searching on it I logged back into Facebook and realized that was my Facebook password. I immediately got off did a virus scan and sure enough caught a Trojan on my computer. Changed my password too.

This happened to my mother and a coworker. In both cases the person also friend requested all of their friends. My mother had to send FB two forms of ID and a notarized statement to get the other profile removed. The coworkers situation is ongoing as it just happened Friday night.

I have been locked out of my Facebook account for almost 3 weeks now. The message says that my account is temporarily locked because it had been accessed from other computers. One was in Atlanta and one in Sweden (or so it says).

The message tells me to scan a pic of myself and send it to them or driver's license with the pic on it, or even a utility bill to prove I am me before the account will be unlocked. I have always kept my Facebook page locked and private so only family and friends can see the pics and so forth.

There is really no way I can do anything about it without sending private information and I am just not going to do that. I still get email notices that I have messages waiting and friend requests. The last time I was able to access my Facebook was when I clicked on a link here on WS to look at a Facebook in a case. I don't even remember which one. Then I started getting that stupid message the next time I tried to log in. Even requesting to change my password will not work and I cannot seem to contact them. I simply will NOT give them information I did not have to give them to open the account in the first place. I cannot even open a new account. WTH is going on?

Oh, well. I lived without Facebook before I had it so I can live without it now, LOL. Screw them!

I haven't played yet, but I've been contemplating it... I'm not so good at all that stuff (prolly cause I don't do it, lol), but my cousins are all on there and I miss them! They're locked down and secure (which is good) so I can't see them without joining and friending.

Eh... like LLaw says-- I can totally live without it.

It's much like a tempting pastry when I'm on a diet. Move away, and forget about it! Guess I'll send Christmas cards or somethin'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back