IA - 8 year old Autistic Girl Handcuffed at School

I would like to know more about this "room" they put her in. I've been horrified at the "rooms" autistic kids are put in for time out. Sometimes they are windowless converted supply closets or specifically built jails that are about 6x6 feet with only an observation portal built in. They are locked in with no way out and there is a big problem with that. What if there was a fire and in the ensuing chaos the kid was forgotten about? I have no austistic children and I would be horrified if my child was treated this way.

I do have friends with autistic kids and my heart breaks for what they go through. I see the how badly the school districts treat them and the minimal windowless classrooms their kids are put in, the eyerolls they get because their kid merely has a favorite word like "racecar" they like to say over and over. Many of these parents are putting their autistic children in t-shirts that say I'm autistic, hoping to stave off the rude remarks and actions of the public.

The public needs more information and emphathy towards autism as the numbers are increasing. The very people heaping criticism have a hundreds of percent more likely of chance of giving birth to their own child with autism than a decade ago.

Below is a state by state listing of increase.

http://www.whale.to/a/autism_increase.html

I would like to know more about this "room" they put her in. I've been horrified at the "rooms" autistic kids are put in for time out. Sometimes they are windowless converted supply closets or specifically built jails that are about 6x6 feet with only an observation portal built in. They are locked in with no way out and there is a big problem with that. What if there was a fire and in the ensuing chaos the kid was forgotten about? I have no austistic children and I would be horrified if my child was treated this way.

I do have friends with autistic kids and my heart breaks for what they go through. I see the how badly the school districts treat them and the minimal windowless classrooms their kids are put in, the eyerolls they get because their kid merely has a favorite word like "racecar" they like to say over and over. Many of these parents are putting their autistic children in t-shirts that say I'm autistic, hoping to stave off the rude remarks and actions of the public.

The public needs more information and emphathy towards autism as the numbers are increasing. The very people heaping criticism have a hundreds of percent more likely of chance of giving birth to their own child with autism than a decade ago.

Below is a state by state listing of increase.

http://www.whale.to/a/autism_increase.html

SuziQ, the article mentioned she was put in a seperate classroom:

"Instead, she was put in a separate classroom away from the party. School officials said the party and other planned Christmas events had been postponed in December after schools in the district closed several days due to heavy snow.When Evelyn tried to leave the classroom, instructors told her to stay, and then physically restrained her, causing his daughter to react violently, Towry said."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hH-1oS-AF8kMqryyBatS7HIl9tOwD95NTEB00

Suzi, i agree with your opinion about these "rooms" i don't see how it's benefitical, it reminds me of mental ward "quiet rooms" and that would only make things worse. The public really does need to be educated and more understanding. The very people showing ignorance towards autism, i hope would act differently if their child was autistic.

Sorry, buy no way should anyone have to endure being kicked, pinched and spat upon when trying to teach in a public school.

No one should get a free pass for behaving in such a manner. Autistic or not.

This apparently has been an ongoing problem. Nothing thus far has worked to deter it. She's a danger to staff as well as her classmates.

Coddling and excusing her is not the answer.

A lawsuit, huh? My friend's nephew had emotional issues, growing up, and would act out physically. Not sure how the state got involved, but they told his mom when he got to be a certain size, he would have be committed. He was.
This little girl's dad can sue the school if he wants, but if those are the stakes, I'd rather have my kid learn control.

A lawsuit, huh? My friend's nephew had emotional issues, growing up, and would act out physically. Not sure how the state got involved, but they told his mom when he got to be a certain size, he would have be committed. He was.
This little girl's dad can sue the school if he wants, but if those are the stakes, I'd rather have my kid learn control.

Me too!

I'm sorry, but no child should EVER be held down by a teacher unless he or she is posing an immediate threat to another child or adult. It was the teachers that escalated the situation- not the child.

I taught in urban schools for YEARS. Do you know why I no longer teach? Hint-it's not the students or the parents. It was a system OBSESSED with inanities like "no coats in the classroom" (while the building was so cold I would come home with my face chapped), no hoodies, and the attractiveness of bulletin boards while the majority of my kids were reading YEARS below their grade level.

When I teach, I am the adult in the situation. My role is to de-escalate situations, not escalate them. Those teachers escalated that situation.

I'm homeschooling my kids after this school year. I work as an IEP aide. I have first hand experience and feel for the staff that has to deal with this student. I also feel for the little girl - depending on the parents, she may do better at home instead of thrust into the hands of others.

I'm homeschooling my kids after this school year. I work as an IEP aide. I have first hand experience and feel for the staff that has to deal with this student. I also feel for the little girl - depending on the parents, she may do better at home instead of thrust into the hands of others.

This school may not be the right school for this little girl but she should not be homeschooled! My son wouldnt be where he is today had it not been for his wonderful teachers in school! They would push him just enough to challenge him but not to overwhelm him...I tended to baby him until I realized one day he was alot smarter and creative then we ever gave him credit for....(he was actually pretended to be not so smart to get out of homework and more class assignments) so after that we started pushing him more and more...my son who I was told by his dr.'s would never read now loves to read and reads every night before he goes to bed! I was also told to modify all his classes let him use a claculater, etc (he is 17) he is still a few years behing on maturity but he is getting there and he hopes to join the military....
Had I pulled him out of the school system where he would have had little socializing at home and been babied more he wouldnt be ther person he is today!!
Depending on the severity of the autism this little girl needs to remain in school and be taught more ways to handle her anger.
It doesnt matter if the teachers caused all this or not...as she gets older she is going to have to deal with these types of situations (being told no)
in another 10 years if this happens she will spend more then an hour at the police station...possibly end up being committed
I wish her and her parents the strength they will need in the long journey ahead of them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCook77
Back