IA IA - Ashley Okland, 27, West Des Moines, 8 Apr 2011

Also, going off the squatter theory-- is it possible someone was in the home, up to no good, and taken by surprise by Ashley's arrival?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

It's possible. Not sure how likely. Most squatters don't carry guns...or do they? I don't know much about their tendencies, but if they are poor enough to squat, I don't see how they'd afford a gun? Also, the fact she was shot in the head and the chest seems like a clear and calculated execution, and not like some random squatter caught off guard. I feel like it was someone close to her.

I can't believe this murder has gone unsolved for so long! It's terrible. This is the most recent article I can find on the case, but it's from almost 1 year ago.

7 years ago, Ashley Okland was murdered, but the case remains very active

Word on the street is that they "know" who the culprit is, but they can't say due to their high profile in the community. I am furious that I can't find the actual thread with the theory spelled out coherently (that's how I ended up here, actually), and I'm going to keep looking, but the Des Moines metro area is run by, like 15-20 families with big names that are involved in everything civic-related. Her boyfriend is part of a big real estate development firm, I believe.

Anyway, the theory is that one of Roxanne Conlin's (she's a prominent attorney) sons and his wife were the ones behind this. IIRC, there was some kind of rivalry (real or imagined) between Ashley and the wife. I think the son of Roxanne was pursuing an extramarital relationship with Ashley (whether she was complicit in this or not, I don't recall), and I think the theory is that his wife basically forced him to "get rid of her." She might have also been involved in real estate as well.

Sorry none of this is helpful, but maybe one of y'all want to dig as well and you might be able to find this theory from wherever I stumbled across it years ago.

James and Courtney Conlin are the people I'm referring to.

James Conlin's dad is the founder/CEO of Conlin Properties. So, his parents are huge in the Des Moines area. His wife Courtney was working for Iowa Realty at the same time Ashley was. She has since allowed her license to lapse.

Both attractive blonde women working for the same real estate company. Add to that the rumor that James Conlin had been romantically interested in Ashley while being married to Courtney...anyway. That's all I got for now.

There are a few theories:

1. The realtor who committed suicide 2 months after her murder. He worked at the same place and drove a black SUV (one of the few details the public was given). Though it wasn't an Escalade that some may have thought they saw in the weeks prior to the murder in that area. He was about 25 years older than her and the tipster said the person was younger and scruffy. Maybe a coincidence since his sister claimed police cleared him and he had financial troubles.

2. James and Courtney Conlin as mentioned a few posts up. There were even rumors that Courtney asked Ashley to fill in for her that day at that location. Jealous motive in a love triangle that existed or may not have existed. He was arrested for disturbing an unrelated court trial years back.

3. Her boyfriend at the time. No major red flags we are aware of but of course the significant other is always a suspect. Does land development still around the area (family business).

4. Stalker... but he would have to know she was going to be there. There was no signs of struggle or stolen items so I don't see why they would shoot her twice and leave.

5. The lady who found Ashley's body and called 911 went "missing" two weeks after the murder. She was around 50 and lived with her mother in the area. Her mother called 911 and said her daughter threatened to commit suicide. She was later found safe.

IMO given the location, time of day, and how the murder happened -- it sounds like jealousy or she knew something someone else didn't want her to. More than likely jealous of her or got rejected by her.

Very odd to learn about a cold case you live near on Websleuths.
I haven't heard anything about it as a local. I can answer some question about the area if anyone has any questions!.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back